Skyfall Wins Bond's First Grammy -Make That Two Grammy's

Comments

Germanlady wrote:
    So Pi and SF shouldn't be in the same category. Seems unfair now.
    What? Who said that? I was just kissing the feet of Mr. Deakins, nothing more...

Yes, but as I said, I never thought about the fact, that cinematographie is not about CGI, which is used for Pi - so its not the same. So IMO NOW, they shouldn't be nomnated for the same category. Nothing wrong with what you said.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Germanlady wrote:
    Germanlady wrote:
    So Pi and SF shouldn't be in the same category. Seems unfair now.
    What? Who said that? I was just kissing the feet of Mr. Deakins, nothing more...

Yes, but as I said, I never thought about the fact, that cinematographie is not about CGI, which is used for Pi - so its not the same. So IMO NOW, they shouldn't be nomnated for the same category. Nothing wrong with what you said.

Oh. Alright, carry on... :-\"
  • Nobody can bring a film's visuals to life like Deakins. All his films enchant my eyes. I think back to seeing the remake of True Grit a few years ago (great film, better than the original in my eyes), and I swear in one scene it looked like the snow was falling right in front of my eyes because it popped off the screen so beautifully. We really lucked out with getting him for Skyfall, where every frame is a brilliantly lit and toned image, and the film wouldn't be as great without him. Cinematography can make or break a film at times, and Deakins really gave 007 a leg up.

Completely agree with you.

--> 'Goldfinger' was groundbreaking for Sound Mixing (Norman Wanstall won the Oscar)
    --> 'Thunderball' was groundbreaking for Special/Visual Effects (John Stears won the Oscar)
    --> PLEASEEE give 'Skyfall' the Oscar for 'Best Cinematography', because THIS Bond film was groundbreaking for Cinematography! Roger Deakins deserves it!

The above three one-word Bond films have something in common guys: They are groundbreaking in one particular element. PLEASE Academy, see this, read this and make this 'threesome' complete :-D!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited February 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Nobody can bring a film's visuals to life like Deakins. All his films enchant my eyes. I think back to seeing the remake of True Grit a few years ago (great film, better than the original in my eyes), and I swear in one scene it looked like the snow was falling right in front of my eyes because it popped off the screen so beautifully. We really lucked out with getting him for Skyfall, where every frame is a brilliantly lit and toned image, and the film wouldn't be as great without him. Cinematography can make or break a film at times, and Deakins really gave 007 a leg up.

--> 'Goldfinger' was groundbreaking for Sound Mixing (Norman Wanstall won the Oscar)
    --> 'Thunderball' was groundbreaking for Special/Visual Effects (John Stears won the Oscar)
    --> PLEASEEE give 'Skyfall' the Oscar for 'Best Cinematography', because THIS Bond film was groundbreaking for Cinematography! Roger Deakins deserves it!

The above three one-word Bond films have something in common guys: They are groundbreaking in one particular element. PLEASE Academy, see this, read this and make this 'threesome' complete :-D!

How is SF groundbreaking exactly?

Its very nice but what has he done that is new and innovative? Groundbreaking for a Bond film maybe.
  • Nobody can bring a film's visuals to life like Deakins. All his films enchant my eyes. I think back to seeing the remake of True Grit a few years ago (great film, better than the original in my eyes), and I swear in one scene it looked like the snow was falling right in front of my eyes because it popped off the screen so beautifully. We really lucked out with getting him for Skyfall, where every frame is a brilliantly lit and toned image, and the film wouldn't be as great without him. Cinematography can make or break a film at times, and Deakins really gave 007 a leg up.

How is SF groundbreaking exactly?

Its very nice but what has he done that is new and innovative? Groundbreaking for a Bond film maybe.
    Well I guess it's groundbreaking in the sense that many people had their doubts about digital and if it could even look half as good as film, and Deakins proved that with the right set of skills it can look even better.
    I still find the visual aspect of OHMSS better than anything SF has too offer.
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 12,837
    SaintMark wrote:
    I still find the visual aspect of OHMSS better than anything SF has too offer.

Same. The shots of the alps just look fantastic. I think OHMSS is the best film in the series visually.

I think the best Bond movies for cinematography are OHMSS, SF, TSWLM, MR and QOS.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    MPSE Golden Reel Awards:

BEST SOUND EDITING: SOUND EFFECTS - Skyfall

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/mpse-golden-reel-awards-embargoed-kinsey-life-of-pi-les-miserables-skyfall-wreck-it-ralph-game-of-thrones-fringe/#more-433148

Could we get the Oscar for this category too?
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081
    ^^ Thanks for the link - without it I couldn't have possibly figured out what the heck MPSE means. ;)

But since Skyfall's win was in BEST SOUND EDITING: SOUND EFFECTS AND FOLEY IN A FEATURE FILM, could someone please explain to me what "FOLEY" means (apart from a town in Alabama, which is all my dictionary mentions).

edit: Oh, never mind, found an explanation. :)

Learning curve...
  • Yes, and more detailedly: How can I compare the Oscar categories 'Best Achievement in Sound Editing' and 'Best Achievement in Sound Mixing' with the MPSE categories 'Best Sound Editing: Dialogue and ADR in a Feature Film' and 'Best Sound Editing: Sound Effects and Foley in a Feature Film' :-S??

Now 'Skyfall' won 'Best Sound Editing: Sound Effects and Foley in a Feature Film' and 'Life Of Pi' won 'Best Sound Editing: Dialogue and ADR in a Feature Film'. But is the combination of both these categories the average of the 'Best Sound Editing' Oscar?

Or is 'Dialogue and ADR' more Oscar worthy in the category 'Best Sound Mixing' and is 'Sound Effects and Foley' more Oscar worthy in the category 'Best Sound Editing'? Anyone? This is even for my prediction standards to....difficult :O !
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,021
    Yes, and more detailedly: How can I compare the Oscar categories 'Best Achievement in Sound Editing' and 'Best Achievement in Sound Mixing' with the MPSE categories 'Best Sound Editing: Dialogue and ADR in a Feature Film' and 'Best Sound Editing: Sound Effects and Foley in a Feature Film' :-S??

Now 'Skyfall' won 'Best Sound Editing: Sound Effects and Foley in a Feature Film' and 'Life Of Pi' won 'Best Sound Editing: Dialogue and ADR in a Feature Film'. But is the combination of both these categories the average of the 'Best Sound Editing' Oscar?

Or is 'Dialogue and ADR' more Oscar worthy in the category 'Best Sound Mixing' and is 'Sound Effects and Foley' more Oscar worthy in the category 'Best Sound Editing'? Anyone? This is even for my prediction standards to....difficult :O !

This article might help...

http://www.goldderby.com/news/4070/mpse-golden-reel-awards-skyfall-life-of-pi-oscars-academy-awards-movies-entertainment-news-13579086.html

It would appear from this article that SKYFALL won the Oscar equivalent to SOUND EDITING. However. The predictions are that SKYFALL will lose this award to ZERO DARK THIRTY. Which was snubbed at the MPSE awards. Another instance of all Oscar categories being decided by "everyone" and not the professionals in each category. Do you think Oscar member "actor number 1" for example knows what makes great sound or great cinematography?
  • Yes, and more detailedly: How can I compare the Oscar categories 'Best Achievement in Sound Editing' and 'Best Achievement in Sound Mixing' with the MPSE categories 'Best Sound Editing: Dialogue and ADR in a Feature Film' and 'Best Sound Editing: Sound Effects and Foley in a Feature Film' :-S??

This article might help...

http://www.goldderby.com/news/4070/mpse-golden-reel-awards-skyfall-life-of-pi-oscars-academy-awards-movies-entertainment-news-13579086.html

It would appear from this article that SKYFALL won the Oscar equivalent to SOUND EDITING. However. The predictions are that SKYFALL will lose this award to ZERO DARK THIRTY. Which was snubbed at the MPSE awards. Another instance of all Oscar categories being decided by "everyone" and not the professionals in each category. Do you think Oscar member "actor number 1" for example knows what makes great sound or great cinematography?

We'll see what will happen now. It seems in the final two weeks, 'Skyfall' got a bit necessary momentum, winning the BAFTA Award for 'Best Original Music', the ASC Award for 'Best Cinematography' and the MPSE Award for 'Best Sound Editing (Sound Effects/Foley)'. All three categories in which 'Skyfall' is nominated for an Oscar.

With the Oscar for 'Best Original Song' an almost dead certainty for 'Skyfall', I expect in the end two Oscar wins for 'Skyfall': 'Best Original Song' and one of the other four categories.
  • 2 Oscars is looking highly likely now for SKYFALL. As you mentioned @gustave_graves definately BEST SONG (unless the song from LIFE OF PI throws an upset)....and probably BEST SOUND MIXING..(as opposed to SOUND EDITING)

Winning 3 would be awsome if Roger Deakins can finally get that Oscar. If Thomas Newman pulls through winning 4 would be even better....imagine if SF can win all 5!
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 1,021
    Yes, and more detailedly: How can I compare the Oscar categories 'Best Achievement in Sound Editing' and 'Best Achievement in Sound Mixing' with the MPSE categories 'Best Sound Editing: Dialogue and ADR in a Feature Film' and 'Best Sound Editing: Sound Effects and Foley in a Feature Film' :-S??

http://www.goldderby.com/news/4066/les-miserable-wins-cinema-audio-society-award-entertainment-news-27841593.html

http://www.goldderby.com/events/1093/oscars-2012/best-sound-mixing.html

http://www.goldderby.com/events/1094/oscars-2012/best-sound-editing.html

For your info the CINEMA AUDIO SOCIETY decides the winner for SOUND MIXING in the pre-oscar awards. In the recent awards ceremony LES MIS won over SKYFALL.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Skyfall‘s Jany Temime has one won the award for Outstanding Contemporary Film. at the Costume Designers Guild Awards.

Temime gave a charming, French-accented speech in which she talked about how much she loves working on Bond films. She thanked Daniel (“Danielle”) Craig personally — and called him “the most beautiful Zero Zero Seven.”

http://www.deadline.com/2013/02/costume-designers-guild-awards-2013-winners-list

More nominations here:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hobbit-leads-saturn-awards-nine-422530
  • Did you Jany Temime is actually Dutch? I think her mother is Dutch and she worked/lived/went to school in Netherlands. I think she started her career mainly in Dutch movies.
    Did you Jany Temime is actually Dutch? I think her mother is Dutch and she worked/lived/went to school in Netherlands. I think she started her career mainly in Dutch movies.

I did read that in the Volkskrant this week, was kind of an interesting thing to read early in the morning.

Congratulations to Jany Temime!
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Adele just won a Brit for best British song...
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    DCisared wrote:

For which song?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Sandy wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

For which song?

Skyfall

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Mallory wrote:
    Sandy wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

For which song?

Skyfall

tumblr_mgleot8pTq1rqrnlao1_500.gif

A good excuse to use this :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I didn't even know the Brit awards was on. Gonna watch it on itv+1
  • Skyfall for the song Oscar looks a cert. Score also stands a good chance.
  • RC7RC7
    Skyfall for the song Oscar looks a cert. Score also stands a good chance.

Yeah, if doesn't get Song something has gone seriously wrong.
  • RC7 wrote:

Then we dress up as Silva and create some havoc in the hall >:)!
    Sandy wrote:
    DCisared wrote:

For which song?

Which song? Are you joking?

• MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    RC7 wrote:

Then we dress up as Silva and create some havoc in the hall >:)!

Silva bursts into the Kodak theatre, Enquiry style.

Bullets start flying.

:D
  • edited February 2013 Posts: 2,081

Alternate Oscars: Paul Thomas Anderson Wins! Leonardo Di Caprio Wins! Daniel Craig Wins!

http://www.contactmusic.com/in-depth/alternate-oscars-paul-thomas-anderson-wins-leonardo-di-caprio-wins-daniel-craig-wins_3517892