Carry On... Thread

2»

Comments

• SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Sorry, yes that's the one (Carry On Up The Jungle). It's on ITV3 as I type this.

And on the subject of Carry On films, does Jim Dale remind anyone else of George Lazenby?

It might be my memory playing tricks at me but I seem to recall reading somewhere that he was actually considered for Bond at some moment :-? I'm glad it didn't go through.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Of all the Carry On's not made, Carry On Spaceman would have been the most interesting to see I believe. A good series and often, very funny. 31 films I believe, wow, Bond has some work to do yet. ;)
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Of all the Carry On's not made, Carry On Spaceman would have been the most interesting to see I believe. A good series and often, very funny. 31 films I belive, wow, Bond has some work to do yet. ;)

You make an excellent point! Next objective for the Bond franchise is to beat Carry On's record ;)

I was looking at a list of all the films (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_On_%28film_series%29) and there are some I don't recall. However chances are I have watched them at least once but they didn't make a lasting impression.
    Stumbled across "Carry on Cowboy" this afternoon. First time i have ever seen this one!
    I haven't seen many of them, but I do enjoy them
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Stumbled across "Carry on Cowboy" this afternoon. First time i have ever seen this one!

We've all got big ones in Texas, Ma'am
    RogueAgent wrote:

I remember watching it when I was little. I need to get a hold on it to re-watch it. My grandfather is not only a huge Bond-fan and Carry on fan but also a Western aficionado. I must have watched everything cowboy-related when I was a kid because of him <):)
    Sandy wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:

I remember watching it when I was little. I need to get a hold on it to re-watch it. My grandfather is not only a huge Bond-fan and Carry on fan but also a Western aficionado. I must have watched everything cowboy-related when I was a kid because of him <):)

What's really funny is today when i was channel hopping? I found and ended up watching the last 50 minutes of "Carry on behind." :))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The Carry Ons need re-evaluating by the more high brow critics.

I remember watching Carry On Cruising and a joke stuck out as it reminded me of a similar joke in the much (and rightly) praised TV show MASH.

In Crusing when someone is offered champagne the character refuses saying that champagne is just 'cider with a French accent'.

In MASH, years later, Hawkeye refuses champagne with the line 'it's just ginger ail that knows someone'.

Sadly, the Carry Ons are dismissed as tits n bums humour (alot of it is), but it has many subtle moments.

Also, visual humour. If you get the chance to see a scene in Camping when Terry Scott, Charles Hawtry and Betty Marsden perform some brilliant visual humour in a confined tent as they all try to undress at the same time. Had Laurel & Hardy done this we would have applauded it for ever more.

Long live the Carry On films
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 11,189
    I LOVE CARRY ON :D

Lee Tamahori even paid homge to it in DAD with the "Keeping the tip up" innuendo :p
    NicNac wrote:

I remember watching Carry On Cruising and a joke stuck out as it reminded me of a similar joke in the much (and rightly) praised TV show MASH.

In Crusing when someone is offered champagne the character refuses saying that champagne is just 'cider with a French accent'.

In MASH, years later, Hawkeye refuses champagne with the line 'it's just ginger ail that knows someone'.

Sadly, the Carry Ons are dismissed as tits n bums humour (alot of it is), but it has many subtle moments.

Also, visual humour. If you get the chance to see a scene in Camping when Terry Scott, Charles Hawtry and Betty Marsden perform some brilliant visual humour in a confined tent as they all try to undress at the same time. Had Laurel & Hardy done this we would have applauded it for ever more.

I love that scene from camping. Another favourite of mine is in Carry on behind. There is an explosion, Kenneth Williams' caravan slides and a bunch of things fall over him. He thinks he's bleeding and faints. What follows is just priceless. Here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPtvxe4L760 from 4:40 until 8:30.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    NicNac wrote:

Yup, agreed, Nackers. Although some so-called high-brow film critics talk a load of rollocks anyway. ;)

The always popular, but most-of-time sensible and intelligent movie magazine Empire has always had a soft spot for the Carry Ons, though (not least because it's British, I guess). And it rightly rates the likes of Cowboy, Up The Khyber and Convenience. And, of course, Camping, which - arguably in a TSWLM manner - is perfect exponent of its series' formula operating on all cylinders.

Overall, though, it's probably an underrated series that's taken for granted by those who casually enjoy it (more so nowadays than the Bond films). Like I said above, entries like Up The Khyber and Convenience are at their best impressive satire, while others like Cowboy, Spying and Screaming (and to less an extent Cleo and Henry) are very effective parodies of established film genres.

If anyone's really interested, this blog post contains a few more thoughts of mine on Carry On At Your Convenience in particular... ;)

http://georgesjournal.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/carry-ons-funky-bonds-disco-steps-and-vietnam-vets-the-10-ultimate-70s-films/
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Classic line from Up The Khyber…
    'Fakir off"