SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

More of the "2016" rumor. Not good.

The list also includes the names Tom Hooper, David Yates, Ang Lee, and Shane Black. I'm sure we'll hear something by summer
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    From where? Can you provide a link?
    Samuel001 wrote:
    From where? Can you provide a link?

Oh sorry of course. Unfortunately a very reliable source

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/who-will-eon-and-sony-tap-to-direct-next-bond-movie-1200488455/
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks.

I believe it all but not the 2016 date, it'll be 2014 or 2015. How long would the "some time" for the decision be? If it's a couple of months we're OK, still.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Refn?? At least we'll get some more of that brutal action that was lacking in SF. I'd be happy with Refn. Drive is an excellent film and iGf is said to be super stylish and hyper violent.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Next. :D
  • It's been months in the news that Refn is working with Purvis and Wade for his next project (Barbarella). Hence a possible confusion for rumors ?
    edited May 2013 Posts: 13,350
    The YouTube video could show otherwise. He's being talked too, as are others, according to sources but whether anything comes of it, we'll have to see.
    Stating the 2016 means nothing. Have you seen, how they write Bond 25? Shows how much they know. No way, they go with 16. Why would they? If they take A LOT of time, it will come out in 15.
    To be perfectly honest, if Ang Lee was chosen I'd run down my street naked and do the happy dance.
    I am liking Refn for director I still don't buy the 2016 rumor and even though I might be nervous about 2014 that doesn't mean I think it's a wash I just will feel better when a director is chosen and Refn sounds good. Something to note is it possible Sony or MGM got wind of Mission Impossible 5 going full speed and is pushing for Bond 24 to come out sooner rather then later?
    One would have thought SF's billion dollar takings at the BO would have been motivation enough. With UNCLE going into production soon and with MI:V seeing some traction, it's just stupid that the so called biggest challenge delaying Bond 24's production is getting a director that wants to do it. Clearly, after all this talk about EoN meeting with prospects at Cannes I think it's fair to say, the difficulty in finding a director may have been BS and that EoN were biding their time all along until when they're satisfied to announce who's helming this shindig.
    Based on the names alone if I had to guess who is directing Bond 24 I am Saying within two weeks we will get "Refn to Direct Bond 24 November 2014 release date confirmed"

Mind you this is just a gut feeling and a guess nothing more which I have been meaning to check out Drive (everyone and their mother has touted Refn and Gosling for the Batman Reboot)

I don't think Lee will do it (in spite of him wanting to) at least I hope not. Still have nightmares of Hulk. Shane black is ok but not amazing ( I liked Iron Man 3 but just felt it was ok not amazing) I just feel like it will be Refn then again I could be dead wrong.
    Refn - I think he's the most interesting on the list but also the most worrying. If he tows the line the producers will be accused of watering down the classic Refn style and if he does get his way the whole thing may loose its way a little like Forster's QOS.

Shane Black - Let's not have this conversation.

Lee - This excites me very much but he is a drama director (and a great one at that) but so was Sam Mendes and look how that turned out. Only thing thats worrying is that Lee has been let loose on a big-bidget movie before and the thing was a giant mess.

Yates - Reliable choice but I can't help but feel really underwhelmed by his appointment. He seems a little pedestrian in a post-Sam Mendes Bond-world.

Hooper - Once again, maybe not as exciting as either Lee or Refn but I think he would knock it out of the park. He seems like the perfect person to pick up from where Mendes and Skyfall left off.
    Refn - I think he's the most interesting on the list but also the most worrying. If he tows the line the producers will be accused of watering down the classic Refn style and if he does get his way the whole thing may loose its way a little like Forster's QOS.

Shane Black - Let's not have this conversation.

Lee - This excites me very much but he is a drama director (and a great one at that) but so was Sam Mendes and look how that turned out. Only thing thats worrying is that Lee has been let loose on a big-bidget movie before and the thing was a giant mess.

Yates - Reliable choice but I can't help but feel really underwhelmed by his appointment. He seems a little pedestrian in a post-Sam Mendes Bond-world.

Hooper - Once again, maybe not as exciting as either Lee or Refn but I think he would knock it out of the park. He seems like the perfect person to pick up from where Mendes and Skyfall left off.

Strange I feel the same way about both Black. Iron Man 3 was ok (but man was Kingsley wasted)

As for Lee I am surpised you would go for him the last time he did a film for a western hero uhm

yeah
    Ranking the five rumored candidates from my favourite to least favourite:

1. Ang Lee
    2. Nicolas Winding Refn
    3. Tom Hooper
    4. David Yates
    5. Shane Black

Yates and Black would be terrible choices.
    1. Nicolas Winding Refn
    2. David Yates
    3. Ang Lee
    4. Tom Hooper
    5. Shane Black
  • StrelikStrelik Spectre Island
    edited May 2013 Posts: 108
    Odd news --

http://www.deadline.com/2013/05/sam-mendes-back-in-the-picture-to-direct-next-james-bond-film/

Of course, we should take this bizarre rumor with a *big* grain of salt:

Deadline.com, an entertainment news magazine, is reporting that Sam Mendes is suddenly "back in the picture to direct the next James Bond film."

*If* this rumor is true, the production will be delayed for sometime and the producers are patiently waiting until Mendes is tanned, rested, and ready for Bond 24.

What's going on? Who do we believe? Is Deadline reliable?
  • JWESTBROOK wrote:
    What's going on? Who do we believe? Is Deadline reliable?

Quite.
  • Yates would be the safe-pair-of-hands option. He's a very capable director who, given a good script, will craft an excellent film.

Refn is too left-field, I think Ang Lee would be an attempt at Sam Mendes 2.0 but Lee has a sketchier track record, Hooper's pretty good but actors apparently hate him. The Mendes news would be exciting if true...

Deadline is quite reliable but I'm not sure about Mike Fleming Jr. It's a very unambiguous statement: "Mendes will be the director of the next Bond."
    It's either feast or famine I suppose I prefer Refn over Mendes because I want bond 24 sooner over later
  • Ang Lee would be an attempt at Sam Mendes 2.0 but Lee has a sketchier track record

What? Hulk?

Virtually every other film he directed is considered very, very highly. He's a visionary.

I'd like to be the guy with that "sketchier track record" anyday.

(Not arguing his suitableness for Bond here, I do agree that it's "not quite his thing.")
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    What is going on? Suddenly rumours started spreading like crazy! Refn, now Mendes again? I would bet we will have some official news in a short time.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2013 Posts: 4,043
    Mendes back is fine with me if that is the case, I've yet to see a Refn film I like, Bronson had a powerhouse performance from Hardy but was just a load of pretentious art wank.

Drive had a cracking score but I failed to see what was so amazing about the film, that being said I'd be interested to see what he'd come up with.

I think these Mendes is returning rumours have the biggest amount of validity than all the all the other ones, Babs and MGW wanted him back and I guess they've been stalling to persuade him and I think they might just have.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 388
    Ang Lee would be an attempt at Sam Mendes 2.0 but Lee has a sketchier track record

What? Hulk?

Virtually every other film he directed is considered very, very highly. He's a visionary.

I'd like to be the guy with that "sketchier track record" anyday.

(Not arguing his suitableness for Bond here, I do agree that it's "not quite his thing.")

Hulk's the main reason I'd need to be convinced about him because it's the one film of his that is a bit similar to the Bond gig in some respects (franchise, fanbase, action etc.) and he blew it.

Ride With the Devil and Taking Woodstock were both pretty underwhelming. I also really dislike The Ice Storm but I appreciate I'm in the minority on that one as it was very popular with the critics and most film fans I know loved it.

Compared to Mendes he's had more duds hence a "sketchier record". Still a fantastic filmmaker though (Sense & Sensibility, Crouching Tiger, Brokeback, Life of Pi- we're comparing the A-Listers here.
    I'd be thrilled with Lee, Refn, or Mendes.
    I hope that we will see B24 soon. I don't like all this wait. With the problems with the director the idea of B24 in 2014 is over. So I guess that we will be able to see B24 in late 2015.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    dragonsky wrote:
    I hope that we will see B24 soon. I don't like all this wait. With the problems with the director the idea of B24 in 2014 is over. So I guess that we will be able to see B24 in late 2015.

I would agree with this. To be honest if you offer me 2015 now I'll take it because I'll be really pissed off to have to wait until 2016.

If I had to lay odds currently I'd go:

2014 5/1
    2015 Evens
    2016 7/2

Just dont see why they want to let the best and most popular Bond since Connery just get older and older without getting more films out of him.

Think its safe to say at the current slow rate of progress we'll only be getting 2 more out of Craig, not the rumoured 3.