The Crew of Skyfall

Comments

• tqbtqb
    I think this means we can expect the action scenes to look better. I thought the cinematography during the free run was beautiful.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 1,856
    \:D/ :-D \:D/ :-D \:D/ :-D \:D/ :-D \:D/ :-D \:D/

HE'S BACK!!!!!!
  • Thank heavens for that. Having good-looking, flowing action sequences is one of the vital parts of a good Bond film.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited September 2011 Posts: 13,350
    Thank heavens for that. Having good-looking, flowing action sequences is one of the vital parts of a good Bond film.
    As well as a good editor. And this time we've got a fantastic one.

Having two editors last time can make a film feel like two separate films as it is.
  • @Samuel001 Were there two editors in QOS?

No wonder it felt such a mish-mash!

Aw well, it's good stuff, and I've not been so excited about a Bond since 2005/early 2006!
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    This was the news I was waiting for! The action sequences in Qos were largely awful, mainly down to how they were filmed. By contrast, CR's action cinematography was excellent. Fantastic that he's back! :-D
    @Samuel001 Were there two editors in QOS?

No wonder it felt such a mish-mash!

Aw well, it's good stuff, and I've not been so excited about a Bond since 2005/early 2006!
    Yes. Matt Chesse and Rick Pearson.

As Peter Hunt has said in interviews having two editors can only make film look like two different people's visions for one film. This may explain why some of Quantum Of Solace looked great while other parts looked like the worst we've even had.

Next, I hope Daniel Kleinman is back.
  • edited September 2011 Posts: 4,619
    If all the rumors turn out to be correct than there are only two important crew members still up in the air: the composer and the main title designer.

As for the main title designer, I agree with you, Samuel. I really hope Daniel Kleinman returns. As for the composer: according to MI6 HQ, David Arnold will return even though the last thing we heard regarding his involvement was that he wasn't asked yet to write the score for Bond 23. Do the administrators of MI6 HQ know something that we don't? I am still hoping for Thomas Newman.

• Next, I hope Daniel Kleinman is back.
    Seconded. The QOS title sequence wasn't terrible, I just much prefer Kleinman - and would feel "comfortable with" it.

As for the composer: according to MI6 HQ, David Arnold will return even though the last thing we heard regarding his involvement was that he wasn't asked yet to write the score for Bond 23.
    Arnold has said in the past Michael and Barbara always ask him back to score each film out of courtesy even though they and him know he'll return so it must just be that that exchange is yet to happen again. Plus he's got the Olympics to think about first and Bond 23 has not even started filming.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    As for Debbie McWilliams, she was the casting director on every Bond movie since FYEO! (Except maybe LTK: IMDB does not list any casting director on that movie.)
    Well, given what we ended up with in LTK, maybe that shouldn't be a surprise... ;)
    According to the LTK opening titles, there were two American casting directors, Janet Hirshenson and Jane Jenkins... L-)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2011 Posts: 15,686
    Arnold has said in the past Michael and Barbara always ask him back to score each film out of courtesy even though they and him know he'll return
    Further proof that EON doesn't care about one of the most important aspect of the series. I hope EON will soon come to their senses before the series continue to worsen.

Further proof that EON doesn't care about one of the most important aspect of the series. I hope EON will soon come to their senses before the series continue to worsen.
    They care, but I'm afraid they don't have the balls to hire a new composer ever since TND. The score of GoldenEye turned out to be a disaster (according to them - I love it personally), and they found a guy (David Arnold) who delivered them a bondian but very safe and unimaginative score in 1997. They were happy that David Arnold didn't turn out to be "Eric Serra 2" and since then they are afraid to take a chance when it comes to the composer. (Agian, I can't understant why they were unsatisfied with Serra's score, but they were and that's a fact.)

I rarely agree with you, DaltonCraig007 but I am on the same page with you when it comes to the score of Bond 23.

EON, please hire Thomas Newman!
  • that guy who did lost and the increadibles Michael Giacchino would suit bond to a tee!!
    Am I the only person that LIKES DA?
    I like him. He's OK, average, but gets the job done.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I like him. He's OK, average, but gets the job done.
    That makes it three of us...
    I think this is in fact how many feel. It's that there are better or at least different composers out there that we'd like EON to try.
  • I think he's talented enough, but he just ought to be a bit more adventurous. Try different things.

I realise I am being a bit hypocritical as I didn't like his QOS score, which had been a departure. But I'm not sure. I think I would have to hear a whole alternative score to the exact same film to see whether or not I liked it.
    David Arnold will write the score for the 2012 olympics closing ceremony (which will be on the 12th of August) and for the 2012 paralympics closing ceremony (which will be on the 9th of September next year). If he will work on the paralympics closing ceremony score up to the 9th of September 2012, I can't see him working on Bond 23.

hmm wonder who will compose

John williams John williams come on John williams,
    David Arnold will write the score for the 2012 olympics closing ceremony (which will be on the 12th of August) and for the 2012 paralympics closing ceremony (which will be on the 9th of September next year). If he will work on the paralympics closing ceremony score up to the 9th of September 2012, I can't see him working on Bond 23.

I would imagine he'd have the music done at least a month in advance, no?

Also with Bond 23 completing filming in April maybe Arnold will use those extra two months and get going on it straight away.

It does bring up doubt though, Arnold seems to have a lot on. I wonder if @JamesPage knows anything we don't...
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited September 2011 Posts: 28,694
    Maybe @JamesPage IS David Arnold...??... :O
    When asked about writing the score for the Summer Olympics closing ceremony and future film projects, David Arnold wrote on twitter today:

"it's full timel but in bursts but doesnt leave good stretch of time to do a movie.its an ever changing thing so we will see. may be able to squeeze something in...or two things???"

http://twitter.com/#!/DavidGArnold

To me it sounds like David Arnold is still not hired.
    To me it sounds like David Arnold is still not hired.
    It does. But I would say more a case of just not being asked yet. One of those things he'll "squeeze in" is the Bond film I'm sure.

Note the question was:

are you really working on the Olympic score until next summer? No film scores until 2013? I will get withdrawal symptoms!
    I don't think a Bond film is a movie he can just "squeeze in". Maybe a film like Morning Glory or Paul (movies Arnold scored recently), but not Bond.

Tariq Anwar for example was asked as early as February to edit Bond 23. If they wanted Arnold, why haven't they asked him yet?
    I don't think a Bond film is a movie he can just "squeeze in". Maybe a film like Morning Glory or Paul (movies Arnold scored recently), but not Bond.
    I took that quote to mean he'll have time for one project. I think we know which one. ;-)
    If they wanted Arnold, why haven't they asked him yet?
    Because they (Michael and Barbara) know he will. He's always "asked" to do it even though he'd never say no or make himself unavailable to do the score.

I do agree though, the only strange thing is Arnold has not recently come out and said "I'm doing the score". This is odd. Who knows, maybe, just maybe the new flm will have someone else...
    Craig is bond the best you could have is Fassbender as a villian or a contact
    Nooooo that would spoil him for a future bond :P