Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed that the next James Bond talk has slowed down significantly over the last few months in the press?

Calm before the storm or are they clinging to the notion that ATJ is the next Bond and they're waiting for his official announcement?

Think even the press have lost interest in the idea of ATJ as Bond! We’ll see though. There’s always time for another round of rumours. Perhaps it’ll coincide with Kraven’s release…

Yeah they'll just do the same story again. That would be the third time.
    mtm wrote: »
    Anyone else noticed that the next James Bond talk has slowed down significantly over the last few months in the press?

Calm before the storm or are they clinging to the notion that ATJ is the next Bond and they're waiting for his official announcement?

Think even the press have lost interest in the idea of ATJ as Bond! We’ll see though. There’s always time for another round of rumours. Perhaps it’ll coincide with Kraven’s release…

Yeah they'll just do the same story again. That would be the third time.

Most likely. Maybe the occasional piece about some little known actor being ‘considered’ will crop up too (ie. The Lucien Laviscount rumour). But for whatever reason it seems to be ATJ’s name that stirs things up.

Not even sure if he wants the role ironically! Not sure I can see him getting the part anyway.
  • edited June 19 Posts: 4,408
    meshypushy wrote: »
    I would put Elordi in the ‘likeable but limited’ category based on what I have seen him in (Saltburn and Priscilla) - he could be a decent shout to play Leiter (which he is probably too famous for, at this stage) but I could not imagine him as Bond.

I don't disagree that he still needs a big breakout film to elevate him above his "it" boy status. Though he was good in Saltburn and Priscilla, he was a supporting character. However, he has a Justin Kurzel mini-series later this year and is playing the Monster in Guillermo del Toro's Frankenstein (the latter being a huge deal). It will also involve him using his English accent, already demonstrated in Saltburn and The Sweet East.

I used AI to replace Elordi in some Brosnan films and I am convinced

JHPAFAR4CVAU.png

R19IOG6QR8M7.png

BEV400OA9Q02.png

SCU9WIE65SB8.png

I also replaced Daniel Craig's face from this scene in No Time to Die with Sean Connery and George Lazenby using AI. The effect is uncanny...

8JE2PMH9KBJC.png

LCMFEAUWXFCA.png

DJKGGA47T45Q.png

Anyway, if it is an absolute must that Bond be played by an English actor, then Harris Dickinson is my top choice

GQLn_cZWsAARFey?format=jpg&name=medium
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Good lord, my eyes.
  • edited June 19 Posts: 3,856
    I love the uncanniness of those images. Still a no from me when it comes to Elordi though.

Must say though, after hearing him mentioned recently in this thread, I seem to keep on noticing Harris Dickinson in things I've watched. I actually kinda think he could be a great choice despite his young age.
    AI improved Elordi's jawline
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    meshypushy wrote: »
    I would put Elordi in the ‘likeable but limited’ category based on what I have seen him in (Saltburn and Priscilla) - he could be a decent shout to play Leiter (which he is probably too famous for, at this stage) but I could not imagine him as Bond.

I don't disagree that he still needs a big breakout film to elevate him above his "it" boy status. Though he was good in Saltburn and Priscilla, he was a supporting character. However, he has a Justin Kurzel mini-series later this year and is playing the Monster in Guillermo del Toro's Frankenstein (the latter being a huge deal). It will also involve him using his English accent, already demonstrated in Saltburn and The Sweet East.

I used AI to replace Elordi in some Brosnan films and I am convinced

JHPAFAR4CVAU.png

R19IOG6QR8M7.png

BEV400OA9Q02.png

SCU9WIE65SB8.png

I also replaced Daniel Craig's face from this scene in No Time to Die with Sean Connery and George Lazenby using AI. The effect is uncanny...

8JE2PMH9KBJC.png

LCMFEAUWXFCA.png

DJKGGA47T45Q.png

Anyway, if it is an absolute must that Bond be played by an English actor, then Harris Dickinson is my top choice

GQLn_cZWsAARFey?format=jpg&name=medium
    This is exactly what the Bond community should be spending its time on in the gap between movies!
    I assume if Dickinson signs up for the Mendes Beatles movies, then he will be out of the running this time for Bond, unfortunately (thankfully that also means the same for Mescal).
    Elordi feels to me like he’s in a similar place where Pattinson was pre-Tenet - I’d be interested in what he does next, even if I’m not seeing him as an obvious Bond candidate at the moment.
    Depends on the timeline for when the Beatles project would be shot. It seems to be four movies shot back to back potentially starting in mid-2025. No idea how long it would take to film everything/the scale Mendes is going for, but hypothetically you could have a situation where Dickinson could be auditioning for Bond the same time as he's filming it (presumably a lot of it would be shot in the UK/London, so it could work in theory). And I guess it depends just how much they'd want him. Anyway, he's so young he could potentially wait more than ten years and still be eligible for the role.

Like I said though, I think he'd potentially be very good. Definitely been impressed with him as an actor. Who knows, he might even be a good bridge Bond (in the sense that I can see him working for those who liked Craig's ruggedness/grittiness, and for those wanting a more 'traditional'/smoother Bond. I can see him balancing those two sides well anyway).

But what will be will be. He's definitely the most interested I've been in a candidate for a while now.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Must say though, after hearing him mentioned recently in this thread, I seem to keep on noticing Harris Dickinson in things I've watched. I actually kinda think he could be a great choice despite his young age.

Yeah he's got the screen experience (which I honestly think is really important: these films are too big now for anyone who doesn't know what they're doing), is a very good actor and can handle drama and comedy. If he was interested he'd be a very good candidate I think.
    I know BB has said Bond should be mid-thirties, but I honestly don't think it would harm anything to go younger. Not least films starring 40/60/80 year olds haven't been doing that well recently, but Chalamet films are ruling the box office.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I don't see anything Bondian in Elordi he doesn't look tough enough for Bond. I think he'd make a good Superman, not a hair out of place and the sort of model look about him.

Dickinson seems more like somebody they'd go for, he seems more grounded
    mtm wrote: »

Yeah he's got the screen experience (which I honestly think is really important: these films are too big now for anyone who doesn't know what they're doing), is a very good actor and can handle drama and comedy. If he was interested he'd be a very good candidate I think.
    I know BB has said Bond should be mid-thirties, but I honestly don't think it would harm anything to go younger. Not least films starring 40/60/80 year olds haven't been doing that well recently, but Chalamet films are ruling the box office.

I think they’d sooner break any preference like that than potentially let a good Bond go. Anyway, he’s 27/28. Potentially he’ll be 29/30 if he were cast and they were ready to shoot (so Lazenby’s age when he was Bond, and probably less than 2 years off of Connery’s age during the filming of DN). Still young, but it’s not extraordinarily young either.

Anyway, it’s unlikely Bond’s age will be explicitly given, and I suspect even a ‘younger Bond’ in the next film will still essentially be a ruthless professional/the 007 we know.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I was very against Harris Dickinson, but his turn in A Murder at the Edge of the World has changed my mind somewhat. I thought the show was not the best, however the scenes set in the past with Corrin and Dickinson's characters investigating a murder I thought were good, and both actors impressed me.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 19 Posts: 16,157
    Also unlike Aaron Taylor Johnson, it feels like he's not going to be tied to any potential The King's Man sequels (without wanting to spoil it if you haven't seen it!).
    edited June 19 Posts: 892
    I've seen it. I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't bother re-watching it.

Edit: I've been watching House of the Dragon and Ewan Mitchell is making for a great villain with his eyepatch and aggressive chin. Maybe he should be screen tested.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    I love the uncanniness of those images. Still a no from me when it comes to Elordi though.

Yeah. I think Harris Dickinson has an extra something about him. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly. But he's just got that extra something that's needed for Bond.
  • edited June 21 Posts: 327
    There's been an undercover interview with a Disney employee claiming Disney will not hire white men for leading roles. This claim is consistent with recent Star Wars content which doesn't feature white men (of Northern hemisphere heritage) in starring roles.

Star Wars sequel trilogy - main character a woman, Rey.
    Ashoka - non white woman in lead role. Rosario Dawson is mixed colour.
    Andor - non white actor in lead role. Diego Lunar is Mexican.
    The Acolyte - main star a black woman. Most of the cast women. Also, lesbian subtext to storyline.
    Obi-Wan Kenobo - main villain was a black woman. Actress Moses Ingram.

Doctor Who (2024 series) is in partnership with Disney and a black man, Ncuti Gatwa, is the Doctor. This isn't a coincidence.

It's possible Amazon may have a similar woke agenda and may put pressure on Eon to cast a black actor as Bond. Disney is known for its strong diversity agenda (be that a good or bad thing!)... but I haven't see enough Amazon tv/film content to notice a DEI agenda (diversity, equity and inclusion).

I think it's possible the next actor will be a diversity choice? Given the slow pace of production on Bond 26, we have no idea when it will be released, a young black or other ethnicity actor may appear and be considered/cast by Eon.

There has been fan backlash against Disney and Doctor Who. Fans claiming the franchises are ruined due to woke agenda and Bond fans had to endure the indignity of James Bond dying (a female Bond producer, Barbara Broccoli, literally killing off an alpha male hero) ... so I don't expect Bond 26 to be non woke. A diversity choice as Bond is a distinct possibility.

• BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Having seen The Fall Guy, I hope that ATJ is not cast as the next James Bond.
    Not based on this performance alone, but it’s done him no favours in my opinion.
    bondywondy wrote: »
    There's been an undercover interview with a Disney employee claiming Disney will not hire white men for leading roles. This claim is consistent with recent Star Wars content which doesn't feature white men (of Northern hemisphere heritage) in starring roles.

The Acolyte - main star a black woman. Most of the cast women. Also, lesbian subtext to storyline.

Doctor Who (2024 series) is in partnership with Disney and a black man, Ncuti Gatwa, is the Doctor. This isn't a coincidence.

It's possible Amazon may have a similar woke agenda and may put pressure on Eon to cast a black actor as Bond. Disney is known for its strong diversity agenda (be that a good or bad thing!)... but I haven't see enough Amazon tv/film content to notice a DEI agenda (diversity, equity and inclusion).

I think it's possible the next actor will be a diversity choice? Given the slow pace of production on Bond 26, we have no idea when it will be released, a young black or other ethnicity actor may appear and be considered/cast by Eon.

There has been fan backlash against Disney and Doctor Who. Fans claiming the franchises are ruined due to woke agenda and Bond fans had to endure the indignity of James Bond dying (a female Bond producer, Barbara Broccoli, literally killing off an alpha male hero) ... so I don't expect Bond 26 to be non woke. A diversity choice as Bond is a distinct possibility.

James O'Keefe is a far-right political activist who was removed from leadership positions in his Project Veritas company for ' financial malfeasance with donor money' (incidentally, the Trump Foundation was a donor). Project Veritas itself is a far-right organisation with a dubious reputation for its reporting practices. I feel O'Keefe is not a good source of information.

We have been told the casting process will be open to any ethnicity when talking about Bond. A pro or anti diversity stance from Eon might come into play as a tiebreaker, but they're an experienced business and they're not easily pushed around, they will pick their final candidates on merit. If a black (or Asian, or whatever) actor is cast as Bond it will be be because they gave the best performance.

• edited June 21 Posts: 1,194

The Little Mermaid worked well in the USA but poorly in the rest of the world.

If they want more money from the USA it would be a good idea but they already know what they are risking.
  • edited June 21 Posts: 3,856
    I think EoN will do what they’ve said - that’s to say prioritise British/Commonwealth actors but won’t say no to auditioning an actor who isn’t white. The films themselves are more diverse than they have been in the past, and I think regardless of the lead that’ll continue to be the case.

It’s more likely we’ll get another white lead (look at big franchises like Batman or Superman and they’ve continued to cast white actors as the leads). I think you can realistically cast a non-white actor as Bond though, and they’ll go with whoever’s best/fits what they’re looking for.

Anyway, the thing about Bond actors is they never seem to go for individuals who share Bond’s social background (most of the actors seem to be from working class backgrounds and many even had regional tinges to their accents/used them when playing the character). That’s actually a lot more unusual even for nowadays. I think for whatever reason (I don’t think they specifically hire actors with that in mind) that’s something we’ll likely see again with future Bonds regardless.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 21 Posts: 16,157
    There has been fan backlash against Disney and Doctor Who.

Not really no. I'm a Who fan and that doesn't correlate to what I see. It's a fandom so there's always some outspoken racists in there, but they're a very small minority thankfully.
    As Sandbagger says, this all sounds very made up. I'm not sure anyone here will be very interested in a conversation about this. Someone will mention Shaft and then it'll just drag on and on, best to just avoid it.
    The main villain in Obi Wan by the way, was Darth Vader! :D He certainly dresses in black so that's probably enough to get worried about.
    A diversity choice as Bond is a distinct possibility.

That's fine.

Yeah. I think Harris Dickinson has an extra something about him. I can't pinpoint what it is exactly. But he's just got that extra something that's needed for Bond.

Yes, agreed. He feels like a natural star about to get big: he's got that bit extra- he adds value. Where folk like ATJ don't really. As mentioned above: see The Fall Guy and witness him do nothing with a role which was primed to steal the film.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Benny wrote: »
    Not based on this performance alone, but it’s done him no favours in my opinion.

Yeah I haven't seen a lot of his stuff admittedly, but what I have seen I don't think he'd be a good choice. He's not memorable at all
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

At least EON have enough common sense to not tell their fans to go out and touch grass, rather than watch. Imagine the captain of the Titanic blaming the passengers for the sinking. That's what is happening with Doctor Who.
  • edited June 21 Posts: 3,856
    Benny wrote: »

Yeah I haven't seen a lot of his stuff admittedly, but what I have seen I don't think he'd be a good choice. He's not memorable at all

ATJ really has a strange ability to make no lasting impression in most of his roles, I agree (perhaps with the exception of Nowhere Boy).

No idea why it is. He’s not a bad actor by any means. Maybe an uninteresting one in the sense that he doesn’t necessarily make interesting choices in his performances… although even then I got the impression he was trying to do this in Nocturnal Animals and A Million Little Pieces. He’s not uncharismatic offscreen either, or even necessarily onscreen…

It’s almost like he’s missing that ‘x-factor’ that really successful actors seem to have. Weird….
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited June 21 Posts: 1,609

At least EON have enough common sense to not tell their fans to go out and touch grass, rather than watch. Imagine the captain of the Titanic blaming the passengers for the sinking. That's what is happening with Doctor Who.

Blaming BB for CraigBond's death is just misinformed. Nobody outside of this fanbase knows who BB is and the main audience will not reflect their judgements of NTTD on her.

However, the producers do face a serious risk if they do not own their choice, whoever it is, next time. They really will have to stick to their guns, like they did with Craig, whether or not it's a diversity play.

And Bond needs diversity. The movie-going audience is more diverse than ever. Something to consider as a fan; they don't make the movie for fans, they make the movie for global audiences. That being said, the Chinese market has historically not been kind to non-white leads in Hollywood and that could certainly play a factor in the choice, unfortunately.

I personally hope they go with a non-white actor next, simply to mix it up. I don't want to gender-bend, however. Diversity makes a nice point that is ultimately harmless to fans and good for another group of people to have representation on screen, but only as long as it's done as seriously as every other attempt, devoid of specific racially-charged plot lines unless it's dramatically suited.

Some may not like me saying this, but ultimately movie Bond is pretty much: locations, vehicles, gadgets, a few peculiarities about food and clothing, a bit of patriotism, and hopefully plenty of action. For me, anybody can fill that suit as I enjoy what's not written down in studio notes, rather what the actor and creatives bring from within themselves to fully create a new Bond character. That can happen with a non-white guy with no problem, and it maybe should.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 21 Posts: 16,157

I just searched for that reference even though I hadn't heard of it before: found it- it's just Gatwa saying that to the 'haters' who were upset about his race in one interview. Doesn't seem that weird a message to me: if you don't like a TV show just because of the colour of an alien character, especially one where the message is that everyone in the universe is unique and special, then stop watching it. Personally I think he's a bit allowed to take offence at people criticising him just because of his skin colour, and it seems a pretty well-mannered response.
    Global audiences don't need diversty. They have their own pictures for that.
    ATJ is a perfectly good actor, I'm sure he'd be good with a good script. What I'm not sure of is if he's got the stuff to be good with a mediocre or bad script, and unfortunately I think you kind of need that in an actor taking on the Bond role. Bullet Train is the only time I've seen him in a film and felt he had a bit of star quality.

I wouldn't be horrified if he got the part, but I wouldn't be excited either.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York

What is Bond to you? A small UK production? Get real.
    LucknFate wrote: »

What is Bond to you? A small UK production? Get real.

I don't need a Bond movie to see Javier Bardem.is It nice? Yeah but i don't need that.