Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Seems like he has to try way too hard to look masculine on camera.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Aren't all gym selfies?
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Can't wait for the Express or the Mail to spin this like he's going be announced as the next Bond soon 🙄

ATJ has always come across as a bit of a try hard to me
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Venutius wrote: »
    Meanwhile, this bloke's dropped the beard and flowing locks...

SEI_215296725-c65a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=476%2C847

He's totally doing a Daniel Craig stare. I've got to admit just based on that photo I'm warming to the idea of him being 007.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Finally, evidence that ATJ has filmed the gun barrel sequence. Or just the guns.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Until then he speaks…
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    talos7 wrote: »
    Until then he speaks…

Yeah, that is something of an issue.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I do find it kinda funny that one of his next projects is an action movie opposite Theo James. I wonder if Barbara and Michael will try to sneak into the premiere.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/theo-james-fuze-aaron-taylor-johnson-david-mackenzie-1236016700/
  • edited August 3 Posts: 3,805
    ATJ looks great. I’m not really a gym person but I can see he’s clearly putting hard work in. Still not an actor I’m a big fan of/think will be Bond though, but Fuze looks very interesting.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Aren't all gym selfies?

Yes. That doesn't change my point.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Looks oddly like Lewis Collins there, someone who I think should have been Bond.
    It will be interesting to see ATJ and Theo James on screen together. I think the contrast will be stark, with James overshadowing Johnson
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 3 Posts: 5,932
    It will be interesting to see ATJ and Theo James on screen together. I think the contrast will be stark, with James overshadowing Johnson
    I think they're both actors of similar calibre if you ask me. If anything I think ATJ has proven himself more in terms of range personally. James is obviously great actor in his own way but is has to be said he hasn't proven the range I'm sure he has, his roles are quite similar.

Besides that anyway, I think these two will have good chemistry and wit, even just basing it on The Gentleman and Bullet Train alone.
    I do find it kinda funny that one of his next projects is an action movie opposite Theo James. I wonder if Barbara and Michael will try to sneak into the premiere.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/theo-james-fuze-aaron-taylor-johnson-david-mackenzie-1236016700/

If they do, they may more likely be watching for Director David MacKenzie, who I still favour to helm the next Bond movie!
    Mathis1 wrote: »

If they do, they may more likely be watching for Director David MacKenzie, who I still favour to helm the next Bond movie!

So this could be a de facto audition for all three.

Yes I know James has said that he isn’t interested; many an actor has said the same about roles the eventually took.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    When ATJ isn’t going for the homeless look, he’s a damn handsome man. He's in great shape. But damn if he still doesn’t annoy me (IMO, he’s more like a fashion model posing, posing, posing). And I agree with talos… that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I couldn’t imagine listening to it in almost every scene of a film that will be over two hours.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 3 Posts: 6,171
    Since62 wrote: »
    I think one of the actors that could easily nail the Bond character is Matt Smith. There's a bar/night club scene in Morbius, where he really plays it cool. He doesn't look entirely conventional for Bond, but my! Smith's a terrific actor.

U like Smith for Bond ?
    G I don't see it
    Like him, really ?
    You sure ?

LOL.

It would be amusing if they cast Callum Turner instead of that other Turner.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Callum's a really good actor, and he's certainly growing into his looks. I would be very interested to see what he would bring to James Bond.
    edited August 3 Posts: 8,153
    While C. Turner is not my top choice, I would not be disappointed if he were to be cast; he definitely has grown into his looks and is a solid actor.

Also, if he is cast, I shall raise a glass to @Denbigh ; he will truly have been a Nostradamus . He saw potential in Turner long before anyone else. I know I didn’t see it and frequently, in good fun, gave him a hard time about his pick.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Also, if he is cast, I shall raise a glass to @Denbigh ; he will truly have be a Nostradamus . He saw potential in Turner long before anyone else. I know I didn’t see it and frequently, in good fun, gave him a hard time about his pick.
    It would certainly be a story for the MI6Community history books haha :D
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    mtm wrote: »
    Looks oddly like Lewis Collins there, someone who I think should have been Bond.

I can kind of see where you’re going with the Lewis Collin’s reference.
    In the eyes and mouth?
    He’s not my first pick, but ATJ looks more Bond like clean shaven.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    peter wrote: »
    When ATJ isn’t going for the homeless look, he’s a damn handsome man. He's in great shape. But damn if he still doesn’t annoy me (IMO, he’s more like a fashion model posing, posing, posing). And I agree with talos… that voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I couldn’t imagine listening to it in almost every scene of a film that will be over two hours.

Yes, this is where I am at. Not sold on him at all. Hoping EON has somebody we have not really heard of yet.

• edited August 4 Posts: 3,805
    For me a major problem with him is he’s quite forgettable. With the exception of Nowhere Boy and to a lesser extent Kick Ass I don’t think I’ve ever been impressed by any of his performances. I feel his roles in Godzilla and Nocturnal Animals should have really showcased him, but he kind of blends into the background in both as it were.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I've never been sold on ATJ as a leading man. He doesn't seem to be that memorable. I was staggered when I found out he was in Tenet

I think his association to recurring Marvel characters will hurt his chances. You don't want your leading man associated with any other series
    Well, to be fair it’s Kraven. I’m not sure how much success it’s destined for…

But for sure, he may well have to commit to that, and you can’t really have an actor playing Bond and another high profile part.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 4 Posts: 16,065
    007HallY wrote: »
    Well, to be fair it’s Kraven. I’m not sure how much success it’s destined for…

But for sure, he may well have to commit to that, and you can’t really have an actor playing Bond and another high profile part.

Yeah there's a chance of that, also I believe he's contracted to the Kingsman 'The King's Man' series which technically has a sequel in the works too, although much like Kraven, I question if that would be likely to happen. Regardless, I'm not sure being attached to two potential franchises would make him a very appealing prospect for 007.
    Indeed, Jeff Kleeman who was one of the chairman of MGM/UA who was in charge when they were casting for a new Bond in the 90s said that they didn't even consider actors who were tied to other movie series. If that policy is still active then I'd say there's zero chance of Taylor-Johnson unless those two series get totally ruled out.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    I totally forgot that Kraven movie was even happening.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 5 Posts: 5,932
    All great points but I think one of the reasons I'm personally so hesitant to completely rule things out is the fact that every time the role changes, we're in uncharted terrority because of the time period and more specifically where the industry is at.

We're in such a different place to where we in the 90s, franchises are the norm now, they're the blueprint for modern cinema (unfortunately in a lot of ways), so I think when it comes to casting, while they obviously might prefer to go with someone untied to anything before, it's impossible to truly say whether they would go with someone who is already known for something else at this point in time.

All I can say is that whether ATJ impresses people or not, Kraven will come and go and ATJ will move forward with a cheque cleared and stable career to fall back on, with maybe a shot at Bond if he impresses Barbara.

That also reminds me, we're considering a lot of outsider context for whoever is cast but sometimes I think it pure and simply comes down to Barbara and Michael and maybe Greg this time. While we're always in uncharted territory, I think one things that stands consistent is their determination to find the right person and someone they will champion. If they want Aaron, Callum, Leo, Theo... whoever, they'll try and get them.
    LucknFate wrote: »
    I totally forgot that Kraven movie was even happening.

I'm pretty sure even ATJ has forgotten he was in it at this point.
    All great points but I think one of the reasons I'm personally so hesitant to completely rule things out is the fact that every time the role changes, we're in uncharted terrority because of the time period and more specifically where the industry is at.

We're in such a different place to where we in the 90s, franchises are the norm now, they're the blueprint for modern cinema (unfortunately in a lot of ways), so I think when it comes to casting, while they obviously might prefer to go with someone untied to anything before, it's impossible to truly say whether they would go with someone who is already known for something else at this point in time.

All I can say is that whether ATJ impresses people or not, Kraven will come and go and ATJ will move forward with a cheque cleared and stable career to fall back on, with maybe a shot at Bond if he impresses Barbara.

That also reminds me, we're considering a lot of outsider context for whoever is cast but sometimes I think it pure and simply comes down to Barbara and Michael and maybe Greg this time. While we're always in uncharted territory, I think one things that stands consistent is their determination to find the right person and someone they will champion. If they want Aaron, Callum, Leo, Theo... whoever, they'll try and get them.

I think even with big franchises being the norm now, the actors who tend to get those big roles in Marvel or DC aren't tied to anything else either when they get them. Even if the likes of Robert Downey Jr. or Chris Hemsworth starred in other franchises later on they weren't tied to anything when they became Iron Man or Thor respectively. The last two actors to play Superman - Cavill and Corenswet - were established but not necessarily big names when they got the role. So I think that same precedent will be there with the next Bond.

I do agree that the producers will try to get whoever they have their eyes on. And I think they've actually got a lot of good options (much like 2005 there's no obvious successor that the public know of as they arguably had with Brosnan simply due to him having technically gotten the role once. They may well have someone in mind that they favour, but we don't know that for now. Most names suggested in the tabloids are unlikely, and aside from ATJ there's been no names of younger character actors consistently suggested. But there's so many potentials).
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 5 Posts: 5,932
    I definitely think when it comes to the big names of Marvel or DC for example, you're completely right. For example, we'd probably be talking about Robert Pattinson a lot more than we are if it wasn't for Batman. Tenet would've done a lot to sway our opinion, but because of The Batman, we're not.

But when it comes to actors like ATJ, they're not so forefront, which is why Marvel felt they could cast him as Kraven in the first place after he appeared as Quicksilver back in the "golden age", although that kinda means nothing now that Marvel are giving new roles to the big names themselves, but either way, the big names EON will steer clear of for sure, which is why I find the Henry Cavill conversation so monotonous, and Kraven won't push ATJ to the forefront of Marvel or even Sony's small corner of it. I do think it's good that he's got Nosferatu coming up at the end of the year, because I think that'll balance out any possible misconception regarding him that occurs around Kraven, for those that go see Nosferatu anyway.