Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Denbigh wrote: »
    I definitely think when it comes to the big names of Marvel or DC for example, you're completely right. For example, we'd probably be talking about Robert Pattinson a lot more than we are if it wasn't for Batman. Tenet would've done a lot to sway our opinion, but because of The Batman, we're not.

But when it comes to actors like ATJ, they're not so forefront, which is why Marvel felt they could cast him as Kraven in the first place after he appeared as Quicksilver back in the "golden age", although that kinda means nothing now that Marvel are giving new roles to the big names themselves, but either way, the big names EON will steer clear of for sure, which is why I find the Henry Cavill conversation so monotonous, and Kraven won't push ATJ to the forefront of Marvel or even Sony's small corner of it. I do think it's good that he's got Nosferatu coming up at the end of the year, because I think that'll balance out any possible misconception regarding him that occurs around Kraven, for those that go see Nosferatu anyway.

I guess it depends on how committed he'll have to be to Kraven (there is of course a possibility it'll get sequels. It might clash with Bond just from a simple schedule perspective). It also depends on how associated with that role he'll ultimately become... again, there's a possibility this could turn out to be a big hit... I guess...

I'm looking forward to Nosferatu though. I'm a big fan of Robert Eggers' horror films, and potentially he could get some great stuff out of ATJ.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 5 Posts: 5,932
    007HallY wrote: »
    I definitely think when it comes to the big names of Marvel or DC for example, you're completely right. For example, we'd probably be talking about Robert Pattinson a lot more than we are if it wasn't for Batman. Tenet would've done a lot to sway our opinion, but because of The Batman, we're not.

But when it comes to actors like ATJ, they're not so forefront, which is why Marvel felt they could cast him as Kraven in the first place after he appeared as Quicksilver back in the "golden age", although that kinda means nothing now that Marvel are giving new roles to the big names themselves, but either way, the big names EON will steer clear of for sure, which is why I find the Henry Cavill conversation so monotonous, and Kraven won't push ATJ to the forefront of Marvel or even Sony's small corner of it. I do think it's good that he's got Nosferatu coming up at the end of the year, because I think that'll balance out any possible misconception regarding him that occurs around Kraven, for those that go see Nosferatu anyway.
    I guess it depends on how committed he'll have to be to Kraven (there is of course a possibility it'll get sequels.
    100%. I think my own opinions are somewhat guided by partial grievance, for lack of a better term, with Marvel and Sony (among others) and how they churn out properties, not to mention their track-record as of late, so I struggle imagine a success for them with this one, even as a supporter for ATJ's work. As you say, anything could happen, and as we continue to establish, it's why this discussion isn't so black and white - and shouldn't be.

I guess it depends on how committed he'll have to be to Kraven (there is of course a possibility it'll get sequels.
    100%. I think my own opinions are somewhat guided by partial grievance, for lack of a better term, with Marvel and Sony (among others) and how they churn out properties, not to mention their track-record as of late, so I struggle imagine a success for them with this one, even as a supporter for ATJ's work. As you say, anything could happen, and as we continue to establish, it's why this discussion isn't so black and white - and shouldn't be.

It'll be quite funny looking back on my comments if Kraven does turn out to be successful! Despite how dismissive I am of it (and much of that comes from simply not knowing enough to care at this point) it is possible it'll be at least financially successful. But even then there's no guarantee ATJ will do another, so he won't be tied to a franchise. So yeah, agreed. We really don't know at this point.

I suppose it's basically what ATJ himself said in that interview when asked about Bond - "What comes from [Kraven] could generate many different conversations [...] You need to understand what is integral to you and what feels right, and you’ve got to stay on track with what’s present in front of you. Kraven is what’s in front of me." It sounds vague when you go into it assuming he's deflecting from some sort of Bond offer he's been given, but it's pretty straightforward. He likely doesn't know how successful Kraven will be, or whether he'll want to do another one, but it's what he's going to have to promote relatively soon, and if it's decided more will be made, he'll have to consider committing to them. So yeah, for better or for worse Kraven is in front of him for now, and Bond isn't.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 5 Posts: 8,153
    Still my top pick…

• mtmmtm United Kingdom

It'll be quite funny looking back on my comments if Kraven does turn out to be successful! Despite how dismissive I am of it (and much of that comes from simply not knowing enough to care at this point) it is possible it'll be at least financially successful. But even then there's no guarantee ATJ will do another, so he won't be tied to a franchise. So yeah, agreed. We really don't know at this point.

I can't imagine it doing well either, but I'm pretty certain he'll be contracted for another two at least if it does- I think that's just standard practise with these sorts of things.
    And even if looks unlikely that another will be made, that and King's Man will make him pretty unappealing to Eon. More Remington Steel looked unlikely too but they got their fingers burned hiring Brosnan the first time.
    If they were making B26 right now I'd say there was zero chance of ATJ in the frame, by the time they start making it maybe things will be clearer or his contracts out of terms, who knows.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Are there any actual plans to continue The King's Man though? I know Vaughn said he might continue with the story in present day, but I'm not sure if we'll be getting any more of the prequel, unless I'm in great need of an update? If we're talking about EON just being hesitant because he was in it, his role was remarkably small. That would also mean ruling out Harris Dickinson given his role was larger, and while I would say he's not quite as ready for Bond as some other people we've spoken about, as we've said above, never say never.

I suppose it's basically what ATJ himself said in that interview when asked about Bond - "What comes from [Kraven] could generate many different conversations [...] You need to understand what is integral to you and what feels right, and you’ve got to stay on track with what’s present in front of you. Kraven is what’s in front of me." It sounds vague when you go into it assuming he's deflecting from some sort of Bond offer he's been given, but it's pretty straightforward. He likely doesn't know how successful Kraven will be, or whether he'll want to do another one, but it's what he's going to have to promote relatively soon, and if it's decided more will be made, he'll have to consider committing to them. So yeah, for better or for worse Kraven is in front of him for now, and Bond isn't.

I'm not convinced about ATJ as Bond, but I've warmed up to him, for no better reason that he's from Buckinghamshire (if he's got relatives still here they could literally be my son's classmates) and he's received a few antisemitic comments recently.

Okay, on a side note, do we know with a fair degree of certainty that Kraven will be made?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 5 Posts: 16,065
    I can't imagine it happening either, but supposedly 'The King's Man: The Traitor King' has been greenlit. We'll see I guess. His role was small but clearly being set up as a lead for any sequel by the end.
    Dickinson may not have been contracted for more as the situation is different with his character.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Ludovico wrote: »

Okay, on a side note, do we know with a fair degree of certainty that Kraven will be made?

Comes out 13 December 2024. I've just realised it comes out 12 days before Nosferatu. He's gonna have quite the month. I wonder if he'll be able to do press for both, with Kraven being the one that would take precedence?

Comes out 13 December 2024. I've just realised it comes out 12 days before Nosferatu. He's gonna have quite the month. I wonder if he'll be able to do press for both, with Kraven being the one that would take precedence?

That's how much I'm up to date with Marvel these days.
  • edited August 5 Posts: 3,805

I'm not convinced about ATJ as Bond, but I've warmed up to him, for no better reason that he's from Buckinghamshire (if he's got relatives still here they could literally be my son's classmates) and he's received a few antisemitic comments recently.

The only thing I know about Kraven is that it will, in fact, be a film of some description... potentially anyway.

Yeah, there were a few antisemitic comments about ATJ online, which is pretty awful really. It shows that no matter what the next Bond actor will get some sort of arbitrary criticism/hatred/abuse thrown at them regardless.
    Are there any actual plans to continue The King's Man though? I know Vaughn said he might continue with the story in present day, but I'm not sure if we'll be getting any more of the prequel, unless I'm in great need of an update? If we're talking about EON just being hesitant because he was in it, his role was remarkably small. That would also mean ruling out Harris Dickinson given his role was larger, and while I would say he's not quite as ready for Bond as some other people we've spoken about, as we've said above, never say never.

I guess there's another prequel being planned, but I don't think Dickinson will be in it for the reasons given above (although you never know with Kingsmen I suppose, but I don't see any immediate reason or way he could return).

I don't think being in Kingsmen is the sort of thing that will turn EON away from an actor, especially if it's a recurring supporting role. It might have an effect if, say, Aaron Egerton was under consideration, but even then I don't think it's a significant enough franchise/character to cause any sort of clash with Bond, especially if they're not necessarily planning to do any more past a point. It may even be a slight plus for the actor as it shows they've worked on a film that's relatively high budget and know the demands of it.

I like Dickinson as an actor though, and think he could potentially be very good as Bond. He's got a couple of films coming out this year. One directed by Steve McQueen that's about the Blitz, and another is I guess some sort of erotic drama with Nicole Kidman. I've heard/read he's had excellent early reviews for his performance in the latter by the way. Neither are exactly big franchise projects, but both could cement certain qualities needed for Bond - acting chops, sex appeal, gravitas etc. As far as I can tell he's not committed to any bigger projects at the moment (even his involvement in this Sam Mendes Beatles movie hasn't been fully confirmed yet as far as I can tell).

Getting a lot of Kenneth Branagh vibes with that Russian accent Russell Crowe is doing in that trailer...

ATJ seems fine, quite confident in those little bits of the trailer. Not sure if I'm going be swayed by him for Bond in this film, but we'll see. I'm not sure I'm sold on the film either.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 5 Posts: 16,065
    I don't think being in Kingsmen is the sort of thing that will turn EON away from an actor, especially if it's a recurring supporting role. It might have an effect if, say, Aaron Egerton was under consideration, but even then I don't think it's a significant enough franchise/character to cause any sort of clash with Bond, especially if they're not necessarily planning to do any more past a point. It may even be a slight plus for the actor as it shows they've worked on a film that's relatively high budget and know the demands of it.

I think it's less about the roles conflicting in audience members' minds or anything like that, but more about good old time and money. If they want to schedule a Bond film and he's not free to make it because he's busy on something else he's tied to, potentially in a reoccurring fashion, it's a less appealing prospect.

Here's how Jeff Kleeman of MGM talked about why Mel Gibson was never really a consideration:

"We might have to wait three or four years before we could get a slot to make the next movie. You say, 'Do I want to hire the biggest name who's going to cost me the most and not necessarily allow me to have a consistent release for the franchise and success, or do I want to hire somebody who I know can be affordable two, three, four movies down the line, and who will also be available for two, three, four movies in a row?' It's complicated. There's a lot of reasons behind the way the Broccolis hired the way they hired."

mtm wrote: »

I think it's less about the roles conflicting in audience members' minds or anything like that, but more about good old time and money. If they want to schedule a Bond film and he's not free to make it because he's busy on something else he's tied to, potentially in a reoccurring fashion, it's a less appealing prospect.

Here's how Jeff Kleeman of MGM talked about why Mel Gibson was never really a consideration:

"We might have to wait three or four years before we could get a slot to make the next movie. You say, 'Do I want to hire the biggest name who's going to cost me the most and not necessarily allow me to have a consistent release for the franchise and success, or do I want to hire somebody who I know can be affordable two, three, four movies down the line, and who will also be available for two, three, four movies in a row?' It's complicated. There's a lot of reasons behind the way the Broccolis hired the way they hired."

Absolutely. Again, I don't know if they've got any more Kingsmen movies planned after the next one (or if they plan them that far in advance), so I don't think that franchise will cause a problem for anyone involved in itself on a scheduling level. But I could be wrong.

While ATJ isn't on Gibson's level of fame, he does have a lot more notoriety now with more work than ever lined up. I can see a situation where he just might not be an option. And to be honest, I suspect for an actor like him Bond may not even be something he'd want to do (ie. it's a big commitment, and potentially it'll mean he has to pass on other projects he might find more interesting).
    Could it be possible that ATJ's Kraven will be his Remington Steele? And that Bond will give him notoriety, but not the role itself? Brosnan got the role, yes, but it was through circumstances that I are unlikely to reappear.
    Of the recognized communities, for many of us we have favorites, dealbreakers and actors who fall somewhere in between. ATJ is very close to a dealbreaker for me. I cannot fathom his appeal; he’s a handsome guy, but beyond that he’s dull on screen and generally unimpressive, and of course the voice.

Yes I know this is very subjective.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't think he's as bad as a dealbreaker, but I find him average at best and actively poor as a lead in some things I've seen him in; I think Hollywood has pretty much seen it that way too as they've not exactly rushed to give him lead roles. He's been entertaining enough in some supporting roles, although also I'd say in The Fall Guy he had a gift of a character part and did absolutely nothing with it.
  • edited August 5 Posts: 3,805
    Yeah, I really don't know what it is about ATJ and him not putting in better performances. He's certainly not a bad actor or uncharismatic. He seems to want to do interesting roles. He's just... well, a bit average.

I dunno, I think for Bond the actor can't be boring. And I personally think ATJ is a bit of a boring choice and to a lesser extent a bit of a boring actor. But I could be wrong about his potential.
    Is ATJ's voice pitched somewhat high ? That never was an issue with any prior Bond actor and should not start now
    Since62 wrote: »
    Is ATJ's voice pitched somewhat high ? That never was an issue with any prior Bond actor and should not start now

Somewhat? That’s an understatement
    talos7 wrote: »

Thanks...funny thing - when I hear "Somewhat ?" in my head, I hear it with rising pitch, indicating it is quite the understatement. This being the case - why is ATJ still being discussed ?

Thanks...funny thing - when I hear "Somewhat ?" in my head, I hear it with rising pitch, indicating it is quite the understatement. This being the case - why is ATJ still being discussed ?

I don't know...
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited August 6 Posts: 5,932
    Because some people think he's worth talking about? Or do we have to stop talking about someone when others say they don't like them?
    I don't see a major issue with his voice to be honest. Plenty of wonderful actors had/have higher pitched voices and used them exceptionally well onscreen. Toby Stephens doesn't exactly have a deep, booming voice and people here praise his voice work as the character in the Bond radio plays.

His voice really isn't going to be a dealbreaker. It's the same with any other actor (short of some extraordinary vocal problem). And I'm talking as someone not sold on him.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    He has probably never been self conscious about his voice .... until now, sneaking on this forum to read what we are saying. ;)
    Just for comparison…

Or…

Personally, I think Turner and Johnson are wonderful in these clips. I can't imagine how awful it'd be trying to talk to James Cordon or Jimmy Fallon for an extended amount of time...

Otherwise I don't really see the point here.
    Personally, I think Turner and Johnson are wonderful in these clips. I can't imagine how awful it'd be trying to talk to James Cordon or Jimmy Fallon for an extended amount of time...

The point is that ATJ has a very weak voice; yes , of course that is subjective.
    Specifically, the point is to illustrate the contrast. Both, Turner and James put him to shame, as do many other actors who may be in the running.
  • edited August 6 Posts: 3,805

The point is that ATJ has a very weak voice; yes , of course that is subjective.
    Specifically, the point is to illustrate the contrast. Both, Turner and James put him to shame, as do many other actors who may be in the running.

Oh... right...

Just seems a bit pointless to me based on these clips. I guess if you're only looking for the deepest voice, fair enough... but honestly, we're not looking for an actor to do a video game voice over (and if that were the case James would be my first pick). I think there's a case that Theo James is just as unlikely to get an audition as ATJ. Like ATJ I'm not fully sold on him either for Bond. I like Turner though.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Okay, I get it, @talos7. And I am now a Theo James fan. :)