Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Whoever it is, I'm so hoping for 'his hair's too stupid' now! :))
  • Don't forget: body is too slender, hair is too grey, nose too big... Man the battle stations!
  • Barbara Broccoli on casting Craig in 2005: “We wanted Daniel. We only wanted Daniel.”

Me now: “I want ATJ. I only want ATJ.”
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited September 6 Posts: 3,734
    To be honest, given that picture alone or just based on that picture alone sent by @Denbigh, I could see ATJ as Bond, the charisma is see through the screen, and I think he has the swagger and of course, looks, the only flaw is the voice.

In regards to screen presence, I think that could be improved, I think he have that a bit in Bullet Train and in Nowhere Boy, and the same on the trailers of Kraven The Hunter, while I think Bond should be a lean bodied man (still prefer non muscular actors), I think his body is not that much beefy or as big as the other actors out there, maybe Craig's body in CR is more beefy than ATJ's, I just don't think a body like that of John Cena, Dwayne Johnson or David Bautista should not be for Bond, they would looked more like a bouncer than a spy, and of course, something that Fleming didn't preferred.

But again, I'm just looking and judging at that picture alone sent by @Denbigh 😅
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Haha it is a really good picture of him @SIS_HQ, and I have to say it's great to finally meet someone whose seen Nowhere Boy. I love that film!

But you're right in regards to his build, would be interesting (if he hypothetically got the role), what approach he would take to his build? Would he try to be less jacked or would he go the other way?
    007HallY wrote: »
    Oh, that's a Jo Nesbo adaptation (he's a Scandinavian writer who wrote The Snowman if anyone's seen the film version with Michael Fassbender. A masterpiece of editing/filmmaking...)

Never read that particular book, but from what I've read of him his books are sort of airport reads - more or less thrillers/crime stories with a hint of black comedy/absurdity that no one quite seems to get right in adaptation. Not sure if even Cary would quite bring that out to be honest.

Really enjoyed Jo Nesbo's Blood on Snow. Off topic, but hey.
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Haha it is a really good picture of him @SIS_HQ, and I have to say it's great to finally meet someone whose seen Nowhere Boy. I love that film!

But you're right in regards to his build, would be interesting (if he hypothetically got the role), what approach he would take to his build? Would he try to be less jacked or would he go the other way?

I've seen it... After you recommended it! (As well as The Capture Series) And I really enjoyed it, especially the locations and sets. ATJ is superb in it, I believed he was John Lennon.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Denbigh wrote: »

I've seen it... After you recommended it! (As well as The Capture Series) And I really enjoyed it, especially the locations and sets. ATJ is superb in it, I believed he was John Lennon.
    Oh nice one @DewiWynBond! It's definitely one of the better biopics out there :)
    Leave his voice alone, guys. He already looks awkward at the film festival, he's still a young man. There's still a role in Bond for him, he's my mate.

He's 34. As things stand he may be 44 by the time Eon get round to making Bond 26! 🤭

Nowehere Boy was the last performance by ATJ that I got a lot out of. He was great in it. After that he never quite matched up, and by the time we get to Godzilla or even Nocturnal Animals he kinda blends into his films (and not in a good way. It's a bit of a shame but it feels like he should have been stand outs in both those films. He's a bit forgettable in them).

As for how jacked Bond should be, I think it's possible they could ever so slightly step away from the typical 'body transformations' we see celebrities (not unlike ATJ) go through in order to promote themselves/the film. Of course the next Bond will have to prepare physically for the role, but depending on the actor they might not want to promote themselves in that way and think the character suits a leaner but muscular frame and prepare accordingly (that's essentially what Robert Pattinson did for The Batman).
  • Denbigh wrote: »
    Oh nice one @DewiWynBond! It's definitely one of the better biopics out there :)

Got any other recommendations? I'm bored stiff here with a non-working leg 😂
    bondywondy wrote: »

He's 34. As things stand he may be 44 by the time Eon get round to making Bond 26! 🤭

Hey that could work in his favour. But his kids will be older and he might even be balder.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 6 Posts: 5,932
    007HallY wrote: »
    Nowehere Boy was the last performance by ATJ that I got a lot out of. He was great in it. After that he never quite matched up, and by the time we get to Godzilla or even Nocturnal Animals he kinda blends into his films (and not in a good way. It's a bit of a shame but it feels like he should have been stand outs in both those films. He's a bit forgettable in them).
    I can definitely agree with you to some degree @007HallY, especially when it comes to Godzilla, but outside of whatever you may feel about ATJ's resonance, I feel like that role was doomed to fail because everyone wanted Cranston. It was not too long after Breaking Bad had finished.

Nocturnal Animals is a difficult one, because that performance by ATJ has stuck with me ever since. I almost feel like if he played the same character in a film that resonated with audiences, it'd be a different story. But to be fair, ATJ still won the Golden Globe for that performance so he can't have blended in too much :)
    I do wonder sometimes, and I know some here will doubt this, if ATJ's problem is he's too good at becoming a character. I wouldn't put it past some people who've watched Nowhere Boy, Godzilla, Nocturnal Animals, Kick Ass, Bullet Train, or even Angus, Thongs And Perfect Snogging, to not even realise it's the same guy.

But either way, it seems to be picking up for him. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing him in Nosferatu.

Got any other recommendations? I'm bored stiff here with a non-working leg 😂
    ATJ gives a really good performance in Outlaw King if you haven't seen that, and sorry to hear about your leg!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited September 6 Posts: 3,112
    ATJ's really quite remarkable ability to 'become a character' is a great strength for a character actor. As an example, I hated that guy in Nocturnal Animals and really wanted to see him take some pain, but I didn't even realise it was ATJ til the credits! Not even kidding - and I'm that irritating swine who usually points at the screen and goes 'oh, look, that's so and so out of such and such', etc. But ATJ had been so subsumed in the role, I hadn't spotted it was him. Not sure how that chameleon quality would be useful for him when playing not just a high profile series lead, but James Bond - one of the most notable global film roles it's possible to get. I can actually see ATJ as Bond in a post-Craig world in a way that I wouldn't have pre-Craig but, yes, the voice is an issue for me too.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I watched a two films recently each one starring an actor suggested in this thread as being a possible Bond contender.

La Chimera, starring Josh O'Connor: this was great (recommended provided you like the more art-house end of things), and though I still think he's an oddball choice for 007, he's a good actor and he's got something. He'd be an interesting pick for the role, but I can't imagine him making a lightweight Bond vehicle like some of Roger's work; I think he'd need plenty of drama to sink his teeth into, and cleanshaven I think he'd look a little too geeky, so I think they'd have to tailor the series to suit his needs. Not my first choice, but I admit I'm more open to the idea now. I did think he was good in this.

The Beast (original title: La béte), starring George MacKay. This is a really weird one which gives George MacKay multiple roles in different time periods where he is destined to become involved with Léa Seydoux. MacKay I was familiar with from 1917, where he is playing an everyman. Here he get's to be a little more glamorous in one of his roles, and I'm surprised they managed to make him look quite dashing. The film is largely in French, and consequently he learned the language for the role, which I have to say does impress me - I don't speak it myself (a regret), but he sounds absolutely fluent. He's good in all the roles, so he's got some range to his performance; he does have kind of a chilly screen presence but that admittedly could work for Bond. I do think he's a more natural fit for an everyman role than a glamorous hero, but he's not as weird a choice as I thought when whoever here suggested him.

Though I do tend to gravitate towards the more traditional look I do find the suggestions here open my eyes a little to other possibilities. It's what makes the forum interesting.
  • buddyoldchapbuddyoldchap Formerly known as JeremyBondon
    Guys, get real, smarmy ATJ should never become Bond. Never, forever.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Never say never...

07nsna.gif?w=696&ssl=1
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Never say never...

07nsna.gif?w=696&ssl=1

Never!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 6 Posts: 5,932
    talos7 wrote: »
    Never say never...

07nsna.gif?w=696&ssl=1

Never!
    b58d19466a6be2f3e947f859e409bb9be1bfe7ea.gif
  • edited September 8 Posts: 9,837
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    To be honest, given that picture alone or just based on that picture alone sent by @Denbigh, I could see ATJ as Bond, the charisma is see through the screen, and I think he has the swagger and of course, looks, the only flaw is the voice.

In regards to screen presence, I think that could be improved, I think he have that a bit in Bullet Train and in Nowhere Boy, and the same on the trailers of Kraven The Hunter, while I think Bond should be a lean bodied man (still prefer non muscular actors), I think his body is not that much beefy or as big as the other actors out there, maybe Craig's body in CR is more beefy than ATJ's, I just don't think a body like that of John Cena, Dwayne Johnson or David Bautista should not be for Bond, they would looked more like a bouncer than a spy, and of course, something that Fleming didn't preferred.

But again, I'm just looking and judging at that picture alone sent by @Denbigh 😅

He will be dubbed by samuel jackson lmao

While i am done with the prediction game ATJ seems like he will be the 7th 007 i could be wrong and part of me hopes i am but part of me hopes i am right
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited September 8 Posts: 521

Looks like he's doing his best Daniel Craig impersonation.

Two things going for him: Has a similar style to Daniel Craig. Barbara Broccoli like Daniel Craig

Is in a relationship with a much older woman

The eon producer has a similar lust for the younger Daniel Craig.
    Also has made a film which mirrors that called "Film stars don't die in Liverpool"

• echoecho 007 in New York

Two things going for him: Has a similar style to Daniel Craig. Barbara Broccoli like Daniel Craig

Also has made a film which mirrors that called "Film stars don't die in Liverpool"

Looks like a barista.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    echo wrote: »

Looks like a barista.

Looks like he’s a try-too-hard kinda guy…
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    The two members of the ATJ fan club have arrived...
    peter wrote: »
    echo wrote: »

Looks like a barista.

Looks like he’s a try-too-hard kinda guy…

True
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    It’s more than appropriate that his fans are raising their voices. 😉
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    Makes me cringe.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 10 Posts: 5,932
    I’m now worried we’re on the verge of insulting members for their opinions when we could just talk about someone else?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The two members of the ATJ fan club have arrived...

No need to single out these members. I've frankly seen more ridiculous suggestions in this thread than ATJ, yet since we're in a highly speculative phase, it would be pointless to get on each other's nerves over who the next Bond might be. It won't be up to us, anyway.

Psychologically speaking, it's important for me not to get worked up over this. Say EON does cast that one guy we're calling unfit for the part. Then what? Go see the film arms folded? Not see the film at all, yet rant about it? It happened in 2006, remember? For the time being, I see no reason not to have any confidence in EON making the right decision. I want to see the next bloke's first film from a positive and optimistic perspective, not having already made up my mind that I will capital-H hate everything he says, does or touches. Even if it turns out to be Turner, I'm just going to accept that and give the lad a fair chance.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    I´m beginning to feel that Jack Lowden would make a great JB.

#slowhorses