Spectre title song - Writing's on the Wall

Comments

• TripAces wrote: »
    But Bond in a white dinner jacket is a statement about his character, which has been established for 50+ years.

The filmmakers are in a no-win. If they do things completely new and original, fans are angry; if they give a nod to the franchise's past, fans are angry.

You made my day with this remark @TripAces :-). It's exactly the point I wanted to make. I mentioned the example of Craig's slim-fit suits in "Skyfall" (original?) as compared to Craig's white dinner-jacket in "SPECTRE" (un-original?).

In the end people loose the bigger picture when only staring/gazing at such tiny details. And in the end it makes us fans sound rather.....grumpy moaners.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I can't believe people are mad about the White Tuxedo. It's who Bond is. It's a nice outfit too. It's not exclusive to Connery or anybody for that matter. It hasn't been seen on Bond in 30 years. I welcome it more than the DB5 even though I had no problem with it. ;)
  • Lets stick to the spectre theme song. Anyone guess a leak will happen before release. And on release, with it be 007 time like they did with skyfall. ? I wonder
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Lets stick to the spectre theme song. Anyone guess a leak will happen before release. And on release, with it be 007 time like they did with skyfall. ? I wonder

I remember very well that in late september 2012 the movie-edited version of "Skyfall" was leaked on French radio. 7 days later, October 5th, it officially premiered on youtube with a big countdown. My birthday, and Bond's birthday ;-)!

Anyway, this time around we get it a bit earlier. Man, I can't wait!!
  • Yeah, I remember. Good times. But will they have countdown site for this one. I hope so. Thought it would have been up by now though :( I liked how they had a video showing the lyrics with the skyfall one, on launch
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Getafix wrote: »
    Can't believe people are up in arms because the theme song is going to be sung by a gay guy. Seriously? Are we actually in the 21st century? The idea that any one finds it shocking is both deeply sad and hillarious at the same time.

That it even is a topic at all is kind of sad or silly or both.

Agreed. I have to add that a gay guy was primarily responsible for this film: OHMSS.
  • I wonder if we'll be getting a 30 - 60 second sample beforehand.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    I didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Enjoy.

• RC7RC7
    Murdock wrote: »
    I can't believe people are mad about the White Tuxedo. It's who Bond is. It's a nice outfit too. It's not exclusive to Connery or anybody for that matter. It hasn't been seen on Bond in 30 years. I welcome it more than the DB5 even though I had no problem with it. ;)

No one is mad about the white tuxedo. What's seems to have happened, as is often the case, is that @Gustav_Graves has chimed in with his customary 'outrage', making it seem like the poster to whom he is responding is somehow massively annoyed by something. In reality there was a relatively well meaning discussion about iconography.
    TripAces wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    This is the key thing to avoid. DC wearing the Connery dinner jacket, or driving the GF DB5 is consciously mimicking, especially when the scenes themselves are shot to look like a period film (as with this SP train scene).

Now that I truly find bull-shit. So when Bond wears a black dinner-jacket in "Skyfall" it's not 'consciously mimicking' but something 'truly original that we haven't seen before'?

I think if you really want to find out the answer, you'll have to talk directly to Dutch costume designer Jany Temime. On top of that, I recall very well, that Jany Temime wanted to give Bond also a very 2012-esque look with his suits in "Skyfall", making them more slim-fit, more 'cut-to-the-bone'........so by doing so actually moving away from the retro past a bit. Well, we know how dissatisfied some people were about that.

In my honest humble opinion, I think it completely rocks seeing Bond finally in a white dinner jacket again, and in a way I find that way way more thoughtful and creative and respectful to Bond's past, as opposed to letting 007 wear a midnight blue or black dinner jacket again. Probably this choice has also been made by taking into account the fans.

My point really: It's a rather hollow argument to use the argument 'consciously mimicking' and to say we 'need to avoid that'. It has been done ever since "Doctor No" appeared on the screen.

The white dinner jacket with red rose is a one-off and associated with the most iconic film in the entire series. Dinner jackets, whether black or midnight blue are a staple ingredient. Giving DC the GF look is a conscious nod to that film. That's not bullshit, it's just fact. As I've said, I'm not a massive fan of mimicking very specific visuals, but it's just an opinion. I know others love see things they've seen before. For me, in the long run, I prefer to look back and see a breadth of design that is specific to each film.

It's a fact until Jany Temime confirms. Yes, the references are there, and it's obvious. But something is not a fact when you call it a fact.

Moreover, your arguments are still hollow, as I can recall numerous examples in which the 'past was consciously mimicked'. Giving 007 a diamond-ended bow tie in "QOS" obviously goes back to Connery's dinner jacket in "Doctor No". Not to mention painting the poor Strawberry Fields oil black.....which is a 'conscious mimick' of Jill's gold painted body in "GF".

Summarizing: I don't see ANY harm in that. People love it. And moreover, as time passes by, it becomes inevitable that elements 'look' like 'that Bond film from the 1960's'. How the hell can you stay fully original if you start production on the 39th Bond film somewhere in 2052 ??

And you forget one important thing. clothing designers are not shamefully copy-pasting, they always give a new twist to it. I call it 'creative inspiration'. As opposed to that red carnation, one can also say that the overall dinner jacket has very big early 1970's lapels. Which is different from the very slim 1960's lapel on Connery's white dinner jacket in "GF". It's not as black and white as you make it sound. And again, it's not fact until Jany Temime speaks it out in a videoblog.

Ok, it's not a fact, it was definitely an accidental coincidence, just like the DB5 in SF.

Anyhow, I'm not sure you see my point of view, or understand it. In my eyes it's about balance and it's important, because the devil is in the detail. If you want to compare Bond's bow tie in QoS with DN, cool, if that truly is a conscious decision, it's a very subtle nod and 'cute', for want of a better word. Fields covered in oil on the other hand, to me, is an overtly conscious and poor homage. It's lazy. One is a subtle design choice, one is riffing on one of the most iconic scenes in the series. They are at completely different ends of the spectrum. There are shades of grey and it's very subjective, but I stand by the fact I'd prefer Bond films to not be too conscious in their references. If you borrow 1960's visual iconography for your 2010's movies, what do you reference in 2060? The answer: don't bother 'borrowing', start 'inventing' again.

But Bond in a white dinner jacket is a statement about his character, which has been established for 50+ years.

The filmmakers are in a no-win. If they do things completely new and original, fans are angry; if they give a nod to the franchise's past, fans are angry.

You're right about "balance." And I think Mendes got it just right in SF. I predict he will in SP, too.

You often mention the 'fans' in that context, but I don't really buy it. I see no evidence that we as a collective put them in a no win situation. In fact, I'd say there are very few people, myself included, who aren't keen on Bond being particularly self referential. The rest seem to lap it up. So what you're projecting is a fallacy in my eyes. I personally don't want DC to look exactly like Connery in GF, but I will be in the minority with that. Note: I'm not outraged by this, as others might passively suggest!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

No one is mad about the white tuxedo. What's seems to have happened, as is often the case, is that @Gustav_Graves has chimed in with his customary 'outrage', making it seem like the poster to whom he is responding is somehow massively annoyed by something. In reality there was a relatively well meaning discussion about iconography.

My mistake. He obviously has a highly developed sense of... shall we say drama? :)

Carry on. I'm not familiar with Sam Smith and the Main Title Theme is something I don't really concern myself with so I'm looking forward to it and it's eventually release. I may wait until the movie to hear it but I did cave with Adele's theme for Skyfall and listened to it early. :P
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    edited September 2015 Posts: 1,730
    I couldn't give a toss about what sexual orientation the singer of the Bond song has, or the color
    I think you're pretty close to the mark @bondjames when you say they do it to add credibility, but essentially cheapen things. I find it hard accepting the argument that, 'the public love it', maybe so, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't love something less homage based, or god forbid, unique, even more.

Exactly. It cheapens the impact and (once again) panders to the lowest common denominator.

I think the point EoN is missing is this - you do not need to make references to 007's heritage blatantly obvious because the people who truly appreciate them are by definition already Bond fans and will most definitely 'get' a subtle and non-obvious homage anyway.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Sam Smith cancelled his concert in Madrid last Saturday due to his cold... and he was singing the next day in Berlin!

Not pretty words here for him: http://www.plasticosydecibelios.com/sam-smith-se-rie-toma-pelo-madrid/
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports

This is the key thing to avoid. DC wearing the Connery dinner jacket, or driving the GF DB5 is consciously mimicking, especially when the scenes themselves are shot to look like a period film (as with this SP train scene).

Now that I truly find bull-shit. So when Bond wears a black dinner-jacket in "Skyfall" it's not 'consciously mimicking' but something 'truly original that we haven't seen before'?

I think if you really want to find out the answer, you'll have to talk directly to Dutch costume designer Jany Temime. On top of that, I recall very well, that Jany Temime wanted to give Bond also a very 2012-esque look with his suits in "Skyfall", making them more slim-fit, more 'cut-to-the-bone'........so by doing so actually moving away from the retro past a bit. Well, we know how dissatisfied some people were about that.

In my honest humble opinion, I think it completely rocks seeing Bond finally in a white dinner jacket again, and in a way I find that way way more thoughtful and creative and respectful to Bond's past, as opposed to letting 007 wear a midnight blue or black dinner jacket again. Probably this choice has also been made by taking into account the fans.

My point really: It's a rather hollow argument to use the argument 'consciously mimicking' and to say we 'need to avoid that'. It has been done ever since "Doctor No" appeared on the screen.

The white dinner jacket with red rose is a one-off and associated with the most iconic film in the entire series. Dinner jackets, whether black or midnight blue are a staple ingredient. Giving DC the GF look is a conscious nod to that film. That's not bullshit, it's just fact. As I've said, I'm not a massive fan of mimicking very specific visuals, but it's just an opinion. I know others love see things they've seen before. For me, in the long run, I prefer to look back and see a breadth of design that is specific to each film.

It's a fact until Jany Temime confirms. Yes, the references are there, and it's obvious. But something is not a fact when you call it a fact.

Moreover, your arguments are still hollow, as I can recall numerous examples in which the 'past was consciously mimicked'. Giving 007 a diamond-ended bow tie in "QOS" obviously goes back to Connery's dinner jacket in "Doctor No". Not to mention painting the poor Strawberry Fields oil black.....which is a 'conscious mimick' of Jill's gold painted body in "GF".

Summarizing: I don't see ANY harm in that. People love it. And moreover, as time passes by, it becomes inevitable that elements 'look' like 'that Bond film from the 1960's'. How the hell can you stay fully original if you start production on the 39th Bond film somewhere in 2052 ??

And you forget one important thing. clothing designers are not shamefully copy-pasting, they always give a new twist to it. I call it 'creative inspiration'. As opposed to that red carnation, one can also say that the overall dinner jacket has very big early 1970's lapels. Which is different from the very slim 1960's lapel on Connery's white dinner jacket in "GF". It's not as black and white as you make it sound. And again, it's not fact until Jany Temime speaks it out in a videoblog.

Ok, it's not a fact, it was definitely an accidental coincidence, just like the DB5 in SF.

Anyhow, I'm not sure you see my point of view, or understand it. In my eyes it's about balance and it's important, because the devil is in the detail. If you want to compare Bond's bow tie in QoS with DN, cool, if that truly is a conscious decision, it's a very subtle nod and 'cute', for want of a better word. Fields covered in oil on the other hand, to me, is an overtly conscious and poor homage. It's lazy. One is a subtle design choice, one is riffing on one of the most iconic scenes in the series. They are at completely different ends of the spectrum. There are shades of grey and it's very subjective, but I stand by the fact I'd prefer Bond films to not be too conscious in their references. If you borrow 1960's visual iconography for your 2010's movies, what do you reference in 2060? The answer: don't bother 'borrowing', start 'inventing' again.

You're right about "balance." And I think Mendes got it just right in SF. I predict he will in SP, too.

You often mention the 'fans' in that context, but I don't really buy it. I see no evidence that we as a collective put them in a no win situation. In fact, I'd say there are very few people, myself included, who aren't keen on Bond being particularly self referential. The rest seem to lap it up. So what you're projecting is a fallacy in my eyes. I personally don't want DC to look exactly like Connery in GF, but I will be in the minority with that. Note: I'm not outraged by this, as others might passively suggest!

It's tricky. Because "Shaken not stirred" and "Bond, James Bond" are also self-referential...but also "expected." I see no difference between Bond in a white dinner jacket and those lines. It's part of the mystique, part of his character's persona. What he wears, how he speaks, how he lives: that's all going to be seen across the 24 films.
  • RC7RC7

It's tricky. Because "Shaken not stirred" and "Bond, James Bond" are also self-referential...but also "expected." I see no difference between Bond in a white dinner jacket and those lines. It's part of the mystique, part of his character's persona. What he wears, how he speaks, how he lives: that's all going to be seen across the 24 films.

I wouldn't bracket a white dinner jacket with 'Shaken not Stirred', or, 'Bond, James Bond personally, given it's worn 5 times in 24 films. By that margin we should also include Safari shirts being as synonymous with the character as 'Bond, James bond'. That being said, as I pointed out several times above, I have no issue with DC wearing one, it's merely the fact that they're aping the Connery look from GF by including the carnation, having already 'borrowed' Roger's LALD look for the initial teaser poster. It's nothing to do with mystique, or persona, it's to do with nostalgia and I'm not particularly keen.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I see no difference between Bond in a white dinner jacket and those lines. It's part of the mystique, part of his character's persona. What he wears, how he speaks, how he lives: that's all going to be seen across the 24 films.

I find the white dinner jacket with the Goldfinger touch not lazy "per se" in the movie, but on the main poster, it feels once again Mendes is playing it safe instead of adding something to the Bond universe (even though Mendes probably had no final word on the poster, but well it feels that way).

I mean :

Hinx is a superhenchman : Bond trope, nice.
    Imagine Hinx is a mute superhenchman of Asian origin with a deadly bowler hat that has a human heat tracking drone inside : Oh, come on.

The latter would be nice in a remake (I mean, without the drone). But not in an "original" story.

• RC7RC7
    edited September 2015 Posts: 10,512
    but on the main poster, it feels once again Mendes is playing it safe instead of adding something to the Bond universe

Whoever is responsible, this describes how I feel about it.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    antovolk wrote: »
    I agree to that. I think Sam will do a decent job with some classic tune that will suite the films mood.

Please can someone clear up some confusion over the song. I know its released on 25th, but where exactly can you hear the song, because I tunes ha s adate for 28th Monday ??

What website will have the song released at midnight ?

You have something confused.
    Release date is OCTOBER, 23rd 2015

I don't. It's been confirmed officially for September 25!!!! ????? Even on radio 1 with the interview with sam. He said 25th ?

Amazon Germany sells it on Oct., 23rd.

I assume that's the CD and not the MP3 download.

Yes, I do think so. Amazon Deutschland says October 23rd, but then that's the CD/Vinyl record.

• RC7 wrote: »

You know how to write off fierce, good discussions as something else than a fierce, good discussion. Personally, I'm not angry. That's what you make of it. But I do think that you sound like a negative whiner at times. And although you are not annoyed personally, you do sound like an elitist movie pro who lacks any empathy with its other forummembers. With plentiful arguments I tried to support that. Arguments that you now easily tend to throw down the chimney in favor of making me look like the 'customary content-less ranter'. Go ahead though :-).
  • RC7RC7

You know how to write off fierce, good discussions as something else than a fierce, good discussion. Personally, I'm not angry. That's what you make of it. But I do think that you sound like a negative whiner at times. And although you are not annoyed personally, you do sound like an elitist movie pro who lacks any empathy with its other forummembers. With plentiful arguments I tried to support that. Arguments that you now easily tend to throw down the chimney in favor of making me look like the 'customary content-less ranter'. Go ahead though :-).

I just don't lap up literally everything EON sign off. At times you remind of me of a one of those young fanboy kids who feels he has to say 'Everything's brillllllllliant', because otherwise it would bring his fan status into question. As fans we're here to question what's being produced. That's not whining, it's critiquing. I don't know anyone, personally, who loves or gets as much joy out of Bond as I do, but when it comes to discussion I always feel it more energising and fruitful to discuss what I think could be done better. If you've ever done anything creative you'll know that you don't fixate on the things that worked, or were considered 'good', you look at what didn't work and how it can be better. The 'good' is there to be savoured and enjoyed and is something I do every time I sit down to watch a Bond movie.

I don't throw your arguments down a chimney, I just don't necessarily agree with them. A lot of the time you use stats, or ratings, or mathematics to try and bolster your opinion as fact, I tend to prefer it when people have the courage of their convictions to state their own distilled view, rather than propping it up by suggesting the 'wider world' agrees with them. It shows a lack of conviction. I'm not saying you always do that, but at time it feels like you do. The idea that something is right because 'the public like it', isn't something I'm interested in discussing. I prefer to know what people genuinely think, not what is deemed the right or wrong opinion as defined by joe public.
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 2,015
    I wrote something but I deleted it. I wish some could understand some stuff about respect.. but I'm afraid it'll make things worse.

And the song has not been released yet !
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited September 2015 Posts: 7,527
    A theme song thread without theme song news is like rats in a drum.

... What do you do then? Throw the drum into the ocean? Burn it? No. You just leave it and they begin to get hungry. And one by one... They start eating eachother...
  • edited September 2015 Posts: 11,119

I just don't lap up literally everything EON sign off. At times you remind of me of a one of those young fanboy kids who feels he has to say 'Everything's brillllllllliant', because otherwise it would bring his fan status into question. As fans we're here to question what's being produced. That's not whining, it's critiquing. I don't know anyone, personally, who loves or gets as much joy out of Bond as I do, but when it comes to discussion I always feel it more energising and fruitful to discuss what I think could be done better. If you've ever done anything creative you'll know that you don't fixate on the things that worked, or were considered 'good', you look at what didn't work and how it can be better. The 'good' is there to be savoured and enjoyed and is something I do every time I sit down to watch a Bond movie.

I don't throw your arguments down a chimney, I just don't necessarily agree with them. A lot of the time you use stats, or ratings, or mathematics to try and bolster your opinion as fact, I tend to prefer it when people have the courage of their convictions to state their own distilled view, rather than propping it up by suggesting the 'wider world' agrees with them. It shows a lack of conviction. I'm not saying you always do that, but at time it feels like you do. The idea that something is right because 'the public like it', isn't something I'm interested in discussing. I prefer to know what people genuinely think, not what is deemed the right or wrong opinion as defined by joe public.

You obviously don't read properly what I have been posting in here. For instance, I do think another international version of the "SPECTRE" poster looks even worse. I personally dislike it. I said so on numerous occasions. I was talking about this one, which I find bland, as if I'm looking at a pissed Jason Bourne. It lacks any Bond-ish feeling:
    3oSebV.jpg

Or not to mention my criticism about music scores. For instance the ones from David Arnold. I do think that he has made some good scores, especially his very first one for "Tomorrow Never Dies".

The thing is.....you tend to forget that. On a few rare occasions we joked about each other, by actually saying "Wow, we agree for once". I'm not looking for such a statement. But I do think that you overreact as well sometimes. I use my stats and figures. Not to make other people convince them of MY view, but simply to let them know how OTHERS think about it. It's something you constantly ignore or fail to address.

So I do have my own distilled view. But as long as people call me ridiculous for not liking TSWLM, which you did on a few occasions when I posted my rankings, then you're no hair different than me @RC7. I just...hope....that sometimes you can respect my opinions, my views a bit more. Agree to...disagree. And I think I did so with your opinions on a few occasions. Alas, you sometimes use your experience in movie business for fact as well, and then using it to make my opinions look like that of a 'dumb fanboy', like you actually just did.

It's insulting. You make me feel bad about this. And only a real man would at times have the courage to say "I'm sorry". You never do that. I do that though.....
  • RC7RC7
    I've never used any professional experience of mine to qualify an opinion as fact. I've only ever responded to people who've called BS with factual evidence to back it up, or at least go someway to justifying a statement.

Of course I overreact, I'm passionate. What I don't care for is people telling me my opinion is invalid because box office or general opinion don't correlate with it. If that's the case I will lay down an argument for why. I tend to come to blows with people when they equate $$$ and the wider critical response as factual, where I judge things from a creative perspective. I think this is where many of these disagreements stem from. For example no one will convince me the DB5 in SF is a great creative idea and if someone attempts to justify it I'm obliged to put my angle forward. I don't see the harm in having a principled argument if you're doing it for the right reasons, which I always try to do.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Such drama. Don t get a room!
    lol @Thunderfinger, agree. This is the Spectre Title Song thread, and you're arguing about an argument that stemmed from a tuxedo Daniel Craig is wearing in the film. You might think it benign because there's no topical news but in a week or two when there is, and someone coming in here wants to get caught up on Spectre Title Song news, they're going to have to suffer through a quagmire of your bull****. Stop it.
  • RC7RC7
    Such drama. Don t get a room!

We're actually staging an online soap opera, it's all a ruse. @Gustav_Graves is in fact a beer swigging alpha who slips into character when he logs on.
  • RC7RC7
    lol @Thunderfinger, agree. This is the Spectre Title Song thread, and you're arguing about an argument that stemmed from a tuxedo Daniel Craig is wearing in the film. You might think it benign because there's no topical news but in a week or two when there is, and someone coming in here wants to get caught up on Spectre Title Song news, they're going to have to suffer through a quagmire of your bull****. Stop it.

Spark up a reefer. When the song hits you'll know.
    @RC7 lol you'd think living in BC I'd have figured that out by now. Never took to it myself.
  • RC7RC7
    @RC7 lol you'd think living in BC I'd have figured that out by now. Never took to it myself.

Ha ha. Me neither, to be honest. Maybe a Morland, or better still, a scotch.
    Oh I've got a selection of Glenlivet and Macallan waiting for me when I get home, should do the trick nicely :)