No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Figured he'd know by this point, unless they're trying to keep the fact that Q is returning coy, which would be odd.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I hope M turns evil in the next one because Ralph is pretty shit as M
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Again, the script's fault, not the actor's.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 5,185

Exactly, i want to keep him around, even for the next Bond actor.
    He has lots of potential, as long as he is given good material.
    00Agent wrote: »
    Affirmatively.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Affirmatively.

+2

No more "Mallory, Double-Oh Section" type writing like we got in SP.

Fiennes was pretty damn good all the same. He's a fine actor and is absolutely worth the dosh that they undoubtedly throw at him. A fine successor to Dench.
    Affirmatively.

+2

No more "Mallory, Double-Oh Section" type writing like we got in SP.

Fiennes was pretty damn good all the same. He's a fine actor and is absolutely worth the dosh that they undoubtedly throw at him. A fine successor to Dench.
    Definitely. The last scene in SF showcased he was a natural fit for the part. So, give him a proper script where M is M and not a Whitehall warrior battling another, then I am sure he will even surpass Judi Dench.
  • I think Harris is bad, Fiennes is alright but fairly easily replaceable, and Wishaw is brilliant and should stay on reboot or not for as long as he physically can.
    A lot of it is falling down on the script for me. I recently recognized that Rory Kinnear CAN act, shockingly enough, while doing absolutely nothing in the last two installments. Same seems to go with the mediocre performances of, well, everyone involved in B25: I've seen them shine plenty of times elsewhere, but you can only do so much with a bad script.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Speaking about Bond 25 on Graham Norton's radio show this morning, Ben said "Yeah, I think I am. But again, I know nothing about it. Not read a script, not heard a peep out of them."
    This doesn't surprise me. I sort of felt that way from his earlier comments. They don't have a finalized script yet. I don't think they have a director either, although some have indicated that the director is locked. Same goes for the distributor, although again some have speculated that this is also locked.

Hopefully this means Q's role will be very minimal in the next film, to make up for his overexposure and keyboard heroism antics in the last film. 1 day worth of shooting should be all it takes.
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    A lot of it is falling down on the script for me. I recently recognized that Rory Kinnear CAN act, shockingly enough, while doing absolutely nothing in the last two installments. Same seems to go with the mediocre performances of, well, everyone involved in B25: I've seen them shine plenty of times elsewhere, but you can only do so much with a bad script.

I think that's true but you can tell if someone is good or bad even with a bad script. I think Naomi Harris for example is really wooden and has no chemistry with Craig. The scenes between them aren't anything special sure (just standard Bond/MP flirty banter) but I don't think they're bad enough to blame it on the writing.

She is an amazing actress but I've found her really disappointing in Bond. Maybe it's the direction? It feels really forced but that might be Mended telling them to play it a certain way. The annoying "look how fun and flirty this scene is, oh James and Moneypenny you rascals!" music that plays every time doesn't help either.

Either way I can't say I'm attached to any of the regulars except Wishaw at the moment. Not that Fiennes is bad, I just wouldn't really feel sad about it if he was replaced, I'm not particularly attached.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Had it been early this decade, I would've loved to see Keeley Hawes being cast as Moneypenny.

9124806-1.jpg

She definitely fits the profile.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A bit pointless to not have Q in the next film, now that he has been re-introduced into the series (there was no reason that Q couldn't have been in CR).

I would like all three to stay on as long as possible.
    It could be on Mendes' directing, as well. All I know is I've seen most of these guys absolutely shine in other performances (Harris in Moonlight was incredible), so the directing or the script work is the issue here. Maybe a bit of both. All I know is, you have to go out of your way to waste talents like Ralph Fiennes and Christoph Waltz.
    Harris doesn't work for the MP role as defined. She was most credible for me running around during the SF pts, not afterwards all dolled up for the office.
    I wish Spectre would get more love than it gets. I prefer it to all Brosnans films except Goldneye.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,173
    Had it been early this decade, I would've loved to see Keeley Hawes being cast as Moneypenny.

9124806-1.jpg

She definitely fits the profile.

She was excellent in Ashes to Ashes and Spooks.
    +1
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I wish Spectre would get more love than it gets. I prefer it to all Brosnans films except Goldneye.
    A rather low bar to surpass imho.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    bondjames wrote: »
    A rather low bar to surpass imho.

Exactly
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    bondjames wrote: »
    Harris doesn't work for the MP role as defined. She was most credible for me running around during the SF pts, not afterwards all dolled up for the office.

Agreed. She could have been a green field agent and the role would have worked just as well. They didn't need the Moneypenny reveal at the end. The M reveal was better anyway, more organic.

Yeah, I'd take Spectre anyday over that Brosnan garbage.

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Bounine wrote: »

Blasphemy!
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Fiennes, Whishaw and Harris are all very, very good actors. I'd keep M and Q, but Harris doesn't work as Moneypenny for me. The re-invention of the character doesn't work. Though she kind of has to return for Bond 25. Unless there's a valid reason for her not to do so.

I do wonder, if after the Sony leaks and script leak for SP, if EON are playing their cards really close to their chests with Bond 25.
    It's been a long time without any actual, confirmed news from them.
    All we know for sure is it will be released November 2019 in the US and star Daniel Craig.
    Remington wrote: »

Blasphemy!
    You know it!

I'd take the Brosnan films over any of the Sam Mendes films, any day of the week.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Same here. Any Brosnan film, any day of the week. And that despite the fact that I like to see Craig´s Bond as a direct continuation of Dalton´s, with Brosnan inhabiting a parallel universe.
    Remington wrote: »

Blasphemy!
    You know it!

I'd take the Brosnan films over any of the Sam Mendes films, any day of the week.

So do I (and be glad to have to choice!)
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,277
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Of course it does.

• The headline says "James Bond boss" as the source of this. If you read it, it's based on comments by Lee Smith, the film editor on SPECTRE.