No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Quote:

Dan is a much more detailed and subtle actor than Connery.

That is the most hilarious piece of satire ever written on this forum. Thank you. This will keep me laughing for days.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    Isn't the MGM quarterly conference call for this quarter out yet I think its like in may its supposed to come out maybe we will hear some bond 25 news then

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The Major really hates Craig because he got to do what his favourite Bond didn't, if Dalton has been in the Craig era films instead he'd be ecstatic.

I hate Craig? Yes I do. I guess that is why I have given Craig some praise in SP, saying that it is his most Bondian performance, and that when Craig walked across the rooftops in SP, I couldn't believe that I was finally seeing the Bond that I expected back in 2006. When I hate people, I tend to praise them. Obviously that makes complete sense.

And if the Craig films were made exactly the same way, but with Dalton, I would still call them out for their lack of Bondian feeling, for the erratic editing of QOS, for the arty farty pertentions of SF and SP, the moronic "The dead are alive" at the start of SP, Bond having such in immense chip on his should RE:authority and still be inducted in the 00 section. So no, I would still have my gripes, however big or small, no matter who the Bond actor was.
    I perfectly understand being bitter about Craig but he is not a blue print of Connery one bit, Dan is a much more detailed and subtle actor than Connery.

You know, having an opinion on another Bond, doesn't make one bitter. And how come it's Craig centric. I have said negative things about Brosnan, how come I am not bitter at Brosnan's success with the public, there? Surely by this logic, any criticism of Dalton must mean bitterness on behalf of the person.
    Give it a rest, old chap. No need to get all sweaty.

Was it the mention of QOS...?
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    The Major really hates Craig because he got to do what his favourite Bond didn't, if Dalton has been in the Craig era films instead he'd be ecstatic.

I hate Craig? Yes I do. I guess that is why I have given Craig some praise in SP, saying that it is his most Bondian performance, and that when Craig walked across the rooftops in SP, I couldn't believe that I was finally seeing the Bond that I expected back in 2006. When I hate people, I tend to praise them. Obviously that makes complete sense.

And if the Craig films were made exactly the same way, but with Dalton, I would still call them out for their lack of Bondian feeling, for the erratic editing of QOS, for the arty farty pertentions of SF and SP, the moronic "The dead are alive" at the start of SP, Bond having such in immense chip on his should RE:authority and still be inducted in the 00 section. So no, I would still have my gripes, however big or small, no matter who the Bond actor was.
    I perfectly understand being bitter about Craig but he is not a blue print of Connery one bit, Dan is a much more detailed and subtle actor than Connery.

You know, having an opinion on another Bond, doesn't make one bitter. And how come it's Craig centric. I have said negative things about Brosnan, how come I am not bitter at Brosnan's success with the public, there? Surely by this logic, any criticism of Dalton must mean bitterness on behalf of the person.

Oh yes, the other criticism was fine, but as you can tell from my name, I can't stand when someone insults the best film known to mankind Quantum of Solace.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Oh yes, the other criticism was fine, but as you can tell from my name, I can't stand when someone insults the best film known to mankind Quantum of Solace.

What if I said that I actually liked the scene where Bond drives Greene out into the desert and leaves him there? Which is a true, that is my favourite scene in the film.
    Amen to that.
    Quote:

That is the most hilarious piece of satire ever written on this forum. Thank you. This will keep me laughing for days.

Of course, He is and Connery would agree, I am sure. He knows, he is more of a Movie star then an actor.

But thanks anyway, for the laugh in return.

Isn't the MGM quarterly conference call for this quarter out yet I think its like in may its supposed to come out maybe we will hear some bond 25 news then

Still nothing real and concrete to talk about then?

What if I said that I actually liked the scene where Bond drives Greene out into the desert and leaves him there? Which is a true, that is my favourite scene in the film.
    Wow, that makes me feel so much better. You always know how to cheer a Quantum fan up with your opinion.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I'm sorry I like SPECTRE isn't going to cut it, that film is the most radically different film of the era and it attempts to a Bond formula while still trying to personal and supposedly deep.

It's very telling when those who seem so critical of Craig previously pipe up that SPECTRE was his best film, it tells me you aren't a Craig fan really they just delivered a tick the box entry that echoed moments of the past.

@MajorDSmythe you are saying the film that is looking as the most devisive and controversial one is the one you preferred where Craig plays more like Brosnan and Moore than the Bond of the previous films.

Brosnan isn't the one who did grittier takes on the character Dalton did and the Bond that Craig is regularly compared to his Dalton because of this, to me it tells me allot that only one film and that film is the only one you really like.

If Dalton was in CR, QOS & SF you'd need have a street party.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Amen to that.
    Quote:

Of course, He is and Connery would agree, I am sure. He knows, he is more of a Movie star then an actor.

But thanks anyway, for the laugh in return.

Jason can go and watch Our Friends In The North and then come back and try to make that sentence have any credibility.

Connery is indeed a bigger movie star but as a character actor and range previous to Bond the series has never had such rich an actor.

The Joke is on you especially after that ludicrous Batman comparison.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 3,126

Trying to get on topic what do guys think we will hear on this months 2017 conference call by Gary barber
    @MajorDSmythe you are saying the film that is looking as the most devisive and controversial one is the one you preferred where Craig plays more like Brosnan and Moore than the Bond of the previous films.

Divisive... so it has split opinion between like/dislike? Then why the surprise that someone might like it? And i'm not suggesting that the film is perfect, just that SP is the Craig film that I prefer, it feels more like a Bond film than the previous 3. but there is still room for improvement.
    Brosnan isn't the one who did grittier takes on the character Dalton did and the Bond that Craig is regularly compared to his Dalton because of this, to me it tells me allot that only one film and that film is the only one you really like.

No, but Brosnan had the global adoration that Dalton didn't. As someone else once put it, "Dalton had everything but an audience, Brosnan had an audience but nothing else." And I don't personally agree with the comparisons between Craig and Dalton. The former is more like the movie Bond as first seen played by Connery.
    If Dalton was in CR, QOS & SF you'd need have a street party.

You've lost me there. Are you saying that with Dalton's lack of love from the public, I would be lucky to see Dalton in those films? If so, I don't know where that has come from. But I would refer back to my previous post on this point. Setting aside the lead actor for a moment, my criticisms of those films wouldn't change no matter who was Bond. You can believe that, or not. But if not, then clearly there's nothing I could say to convince you otherwise.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Different thread, chaps.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    My 4 most wanted directors:

1. Campbell
    2. Steven Soderbergh
    3. Villeneuve
    4. Nolan
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Mendes4Lyfe-- absolutely love your choices, although Campbell is the dark horse... can he do it one more time?... But yes, I like that list, very much...

Trying to get on topic what do guys think we will hear on this months 2017 conference call by Gary barber

edited May 2017 Posts: 8,344
    peter wrote: »
    @Mendes4Lyfe-- absolutely love your choices, although Campbell is the dark horse... can he do it one more time?... But yes, I like that list, very much...

I think that Campbell's needs it this time - a sort of redemption after some recent disappoints. If EON need a safe pair of hands, he'll certainly be in the running, I'm sure.

He truly would be a Bond stalwart then, along with Young, Hamilton, Glen and Gilbert - all of whom helmed at least 3 entries.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree @Mendes4Lyfe, and he should be held in very high esteem in the modern era. GE and CR should cement that in Bond film history. He accomplished and revitalized so much that we are all grateful for.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Yes, I like those choices too @Mendes4Lyfe. Any of them will work for me.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 4,622
    Quote:

Yes, that is quite off. Craig is not "much more" in this regard.
    Sean is plenty detailed and quite subtle enough.
    Anyway, I can't really engage the discussion.
    Sean created and defined the Bond screen persona.
    A cinematic tour de force it was!
    The real discussion IMO, is which of the other 5 has best carried on the legacy.
    There is Sean, the iconic original, and then there are the rest.
    Imo, Laz and Craig are the two best of the rest.
    Dalts and Broz were adequate, even sometimes very good.....and then there is Rog. He of the great screen presence, unflappable yes, charming yes, rogue-ish, but not terribly convincing as 00 dangerman. Still, he made some great Bond movies and like the other 4 successors, certainly had his moments.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Do you think Campbell has another in him? He's pretty old right?
    Tell that to Ridley Scott.

• peterpeter Toronto
    @Last_Rat_Standing, he is old... but so is Clint Eastwood... and Campbell has some uncanny read into what makes Bond... Who knows? Can he hit the ball out of the park a third time??

If they make a stripped back standalone film - Yes.

If they make an epic film on the scale of SPECTRE, probably not.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2017 Posts: 23,883
    If it's epic, get Nolan.

If it's stripped back either Villeneuve or Campbell could do it justice. Soderbergh could give us something Hamilton like (quirky).

I'd love to see Campbell go for the hat trick, but only if he gets to bring on a new Bond again though.
    edited May 2017 Posts: 8,344
    bondjames wrote: »
    If it's epic, get Nolan.

If it's stripped back either Villeneuve or Campbell could do it justice. Soderbergh could give us something Hamilton like (quirky).

I'd love to see Campbell go for the hat trick, but only if he gets to bring on a new Bond again though.
    Yes, that's where I stand too. Either do it properly or not at all. Bond 25 is pretty much the only hope, since Campbell will likely be too old after that. It's a dream that hangs by a thread at the moment...
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Your dream, whatever sort of a nightmare it is, hasn't a chance @Mendes4Lyfe
    Why you cling to this weak assed hope that Turner will become Bond and Campbell will direct, giving us a GE/CR type highly praised Bond film. It's okay to have an opinion. But the incessant harping on about it everyday is wearing a little thin.
    No evidence to suggest that Craig isn't coming back. None!
    Till the time where actual news comes from EON, Daniel Craig is Bond in Bond 25.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Campbell's age has often been discussed; it's not an issue. in recent interviews he's healthy,fit and vital.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Age is merely a number. What concerns me is whether or not he has the energy to do another cracking Bond film.