I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He says "2-nil. Do you want to continue?" There would be no continuing, as '2-nil' means Graves has won the best of three hits. I suppose it only continues due to Bond upping the wager to a diamond, but why they have "Best of three hits?" in the script if that's not the case is beyond me.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited May 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I never noticed that before either then. I think DAD may be due for a rewatch one of these days. I'm strangely looking forward to it too.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I never noticed that before either then. I think DAD may be due for a rewatch one of these days. I'm strangely looking forward to it too.

I always look forward to it. All it takes is overlooking all the bad within and soaking up the good that is left to enjoy.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I would go as far as saying the first half of DAD is excellent. The aforementioned sword fight is superb.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    He says "2-nil. Do you want to continue?" There would be no continuing, as '2-nil' means Graves has won the best of three hits. I suppose it only continues due to Bond upping the wager to a diamond, but why they have "Best of three hits?" in the script if that's not the case is beyond me.

I always concidered the third game a new game 'first blood drawn from the torso', as indeed Bond has lost the first game, but then wants to upp the wager (so the first win goes without prize as it's part of the next one). But that's my interpretation, and I tried to watch DAD the other day, but the lines between Bond and Jinx are so increadably bad I had to turn it off.

@birdleson always good if newer films highen the tension of older ones ;-)

I always concidered the third game a new game 'first blood drawn from the torso', as indeed Bond has lost the first game, but then wants to upp the wager (so the first win goes without prize as it's part of the next one). But that's my interpretation, and I tried to watch DAD the other day, but the lines between Bond and Jinx are so increadably bad I had to turn it off.

@birdleson always good if newer films highen the tension of older ones ;-)

Yes, Bond loses the first game and then ups the wager -daring Graves to continue.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Agreed, that's how I've always seen it
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    A new one I noticed (not sure if it's been mentioned before), but whilst watching Live And Let Die last night, I noticed that Felix is sporting a wedding ring.
    During the scene where Bond is with the tailor, and Felix is on the phone to Mr.Bleeker. You can clearly see a ring on Felix's wedding finger.
    Never spotted it before.
    It's always amazing how even though you've seen a film hundreds of you can
    Still find little things you've missed before.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Wow, that is impressive. So LALD is up for a rewatch now.
    One that I noticed, ( Couldn't believe, I'd never noticed before) a few years ago. Is
    During the build up to the car jump in TMWTGG, as Moore drives back to the bridge
    A cloth, drops to the upper left part of the rear window.
    Couldn't believe how many times I'd watched that scene and never noticed. :)
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    QoS features forms of all four extreme motor sports: Car racing, motocross, boat racing, and air racing. Add to this: horse racing (Bond does not participate) and sky diving. And the film is the most variety in terms of extreme sports/sporting activities.

For Your Eyes Only is another: skiing, ski jumping, scuba diving, rock climbing, and car racing. It also features activities Bond does not participate in: hockey and figure skating.
  • TripAces wrote: »
    QoS features forms of all four extreme motor sports: Car racing, motocross, boat racing, and air racing. Add to this: horse racing (Bond does not participate) and sky diving. And the film is the most variety in terms of extreme sports/sporting activities.

For Your Eyes Only is another: skiing, ski jumping, scuba diving, rock climbing, and car racing. It also features activities Bond does not participate in: hockey and figure skating.

Yes FYEO quite notably featured a lot of unique sports. Do not forget bobsled/sleighs.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I can't be the first one to notice this, but on the roof of the cathedral Bond uses the jet pack to escape from in the PTS of THUNDERBALL is a statue of a stag that is very similar to the one at the entrance to Skyfall.
    I saw that as one of the homages in that film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Upon watching Spectre, it is clear that the line "Forgive me, but anyone might think you're hiding from something," was added in post production.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Director Guy Hamilton liked to insert his name into his Bond films. In DAF there is Hamilton, one of Felix's men who guards the door to Bonds room at the Whyte House. And In LALD one of the three that are killed at the beginning was named Hamilton also.
    I can't think of anyone named Hamilton in TMWTGG. Might have to watch it again soon and keep an ear out.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I can't think of anyone named Hamilton in TMWTGG. Might have to watch it again soon and keep an ear out.

Maybe no Hamilton, but there are a few guys.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Maybe Mrs. Pepper's maiden name is Hamilton? ;)
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Bond's crazy white and black shoes in YOLT when he first meets with Tanaka. I've noticed it before, wondering why is he wearing those. Until I realized that he removes his original shoes when he enters the hotel to meet Henderson and the black and white ones were stolen off the guard that kills Henderson.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,710
    After watching QOS again last night, I noticed how each major action scene is hinted at by some imagery: the slow motion of the cars and road before the car chase, the overview of Sienna's rooftops at the end of the PTS, the water/boats while Bond arrives at the docks (that's one easy, I admit), the close-up of the statue of a bird outside of the fancy hotel (the next action scene at this point is the airplane chase), and a close-up of the sun when Bond arrives in the desert (the hotel burns completely during the climax).
  • After watching QOS again last night, I noticed how each major action scene is hinted at by some imagery: the slow motion of the cars and road before the car chase, the overview of Sienna's rooftops at the end of the PTS, the water/boats while Bond arrives at the docks (that's one easy, I admit), the close-up of the statue of a bird outside of the fancy hotel (the next action scene at this point is the airplane chase), and a close-up of the sun when Bond arrives in the desert (the hotel burns completely during the climax).

That is interesting from an artistic point of view, admittedly.
    After watching QOS again last night, I noticed how each major action scene is hinted at by some imagery: the slow motion of the cars and road before the car chase, the overview of Sienna's rooftops at the end of the PTS, the water/boats while Bond arrives at the docks (that's one easy, I admit), the close-up of the statue of a bird outside of the fancy hotel (the next action scene at this point is the airplane chase), and a close-up of the sun when Bond arrives in the desert (the hotel burns completely during the climax).

Interesting.

Keeping an eye out for this as I watch it, it's very interesting. I'm probably looking into it too much, but when they run past the old woman on the stairs, the ropes and pulley she's using could be seen as hinting at the final Bond vs. Mitchell fight.
  • GettlerGettler USA
    Never thought of that. They could have easily had bumped into her and the apples topple on the steps but instead they went with ropes, so perhaps it is some slight foreshadowing?
    Gettler wrote: »
    Never thought of that. They could have easily had bumped into her and the apples topple on the steps but instead they went with ropes, so perhaps it is some slight foreshadowing?

I think so too. nice touch that is!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    In Dr. No when the 3 Blind Mice are about to assassinate Bond outside of his hotel a slow dramatic version of the 3 Blind Mice music motif plays. That's very clever.
    Just starting DAD, I realized it kicks off with an excellent, well-shot surfing sequence amidst lots of huge waves, and it's all pulled off realistically...and then about ninety minutes later, the same film gives us the worst surfing sequence in the form of the parasailing/iceberg nonsense, riddled with bad CGI, which is arguably the worst sequence in the entirety of the series. Shame they didn't scrap that moment and go with a different, non-CG sequence instead.
    Just starting DAD, I realized it kicks off with an excellent, well-shot surfing sequence amidst lots of huge waves, and it's all pulled off realistically...and then about ninety minutes later, the same film gives us the worst surfing sequence in the form of the parasailing/iceberg nonsense, riddled with bad CGI, which is arguably the worst sequence in the entirety of the series. Shame they didn't scrap that moment and go with a different, non-CG sequence instead.
    What would have been easier is to cut the entire ice dragster/tidal wave surfing sequence and cut straight from the ice palace escape to the car chase. It would have shaved a good 8 minutes off of the film and wouldn't spark a single plot hole.
    Agreed; removes a lot of bad moments, cuts down the running time a little, and helps things flow more smoothly.