I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    bondjames wrote: »
    I certainly noticed her @Creasy47. Quite a looker.

I get what you're saying about picking up on new things. When I watched the film last week I noticed that she gets manhandled by the Carabinieri when they go in with Bond, M and Sir Frederick Gray to check the lab. I never noticed that bit before.

Ha, funny you should mention that because I noticed that for the first time too when I last watched MR.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    bondjames wrote: »
    I certainly noticed her @Creasy47. Quite a looker.

I get what you're saying about picking up on new things. When I watched the film last week I noticed that she gets manhandled by the Carabinieri when they go in with Bond, M and Sir Frederick Gray to check the lab. I never noticed that bit before.

Wow, hadn't noticed that, either. A culmination of all the glowing fan reviews of MR on the forums lately, combined with us talking about it in the 'SP vs. MR' thread got me craving a viewing of it last night, more than I've wanted to in several years. Looks like I should give this one a few more rewatches in the near future, as I obviously don't know it as well as I initially believed.
  • Connery is seen as tougher than Moore. Ironically, Connery only killed one of his villains - Dr. No. Romanova shoots Klebb, Goldfinger shoots out the window (Bond would not have, knowing how dangerous it is) and kills himself, Largo is harpooned by Domino, Blofeld survives. Whereas Moore killed all but one, Kristatos.
    Connery is seen as tougher than Moore. Ironically, Connery only killed one of his villains - Dr. No. Romanova shoots Klebb, Goldfinger shoots out the window (Bond would not have, knowing how dangerous it is) and kills himself, Largo is harpooned by Domino, Blofeld survives. Whereas Moore killed all but one, Kristatos.

He doesn't kill Kamal Khan in Octopussy.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Connery is seen as tougher than Moore. Ironically, Connery only killed one of his villains - Dr. No. Romanova shoots Klebb, Goldfinger shoots out the window (Bond would not have, knowing how dangerous it is) and kills himself, Largo is harpooned by Domino, Blofeld survives. Whereas Moore killed all but one, Kristatos.

He doesn't kill Kamal Khan in Octopussy.

His tampering with the plane to cause the engine to fail doesn't help though :-)
  • Never noticed that.
    Not the same as pulling the trigger.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Who is the actual main villain in FRWL though? Blofeld, Klebb, Grant?
  • NicNac wrote: »

This has been debated endlessly, so I won't argue my point, but my view is that Klebb is the villain.
    I've always thought Klebb,with Grant as the henchman and Blofeld as an overseer.
  • barryt007 wrote: »
    I've always thought Klebb,with Grant as the henchman and Blofeld as an overseer.

Yes! That's how I see it.
    That's like saying "who's the main villain of CR? LeCheffre or Mr. White?"
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    That's like saying "who's the main villain of CR? LeCheffre or Mr. White?"

Blofeld, technically. ;)

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited September 2016 Posts: 45,489
    I see it as Klebb. Blofeld doesn t have enough screentime, Grant is more of a henchman. You can argue that Klebb is too, but at least she is above Grant.

I see it as Klebb. Blofeld doesn t have enough screentime, Grant is more of a henchman. You can argue that Klebb is too, but at least she is above Grant.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 45,489
    NicNac wrote: »

This is what I meant to quote, and then I manage to quote myself instead. X_X
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I agree with most of the above. Klebb is the Main Villain. She fills the Dr. No, Largo role in the film. Grant is the Henchman.
    Agreed.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I agree with most of the above. Klebb is the Main Villain. She fills the Dr. No, Largo role in the film. Grant is the Henchman.

I can understand the reasoning behind this but then what does that make Blofeld?

Supplementary but superior villain?

Isn't there a case to say that if you have a boss above you, you aren't the main villain?

So that would, with the exception of GF, make Blofeld the main villain for every film up to and including DAF. This seems logical but not sure I agree with downgrading Dr No and Largo to such an extent though.

However I do see a fundamental difference between Dr No & Largo and Klebb - namely I can't imagine Blofeld giving them a bollocking like he does to Klebb.

Doctor No is clearly on different level of seniority to Klebb (he even announces 'I am a member of SPECTRE' with a sneer of superiority that sounds like he's right at the top) and Largo nonchalantly leafs through his papers while Ernst executes lesser SPECTRE members. Klebb on the other hand looks like she's shitting it in Blofeld's presence.

In addition it's Blofeld who gives out the orders, who kills Kronsteen and who gives Rosa a right digging out for constantly f**king up.

Dr No and Largo clearly seem to know what they're doing and don't need Blofeld holding their hand every minute. Klebb on the other hand is very lucky to not be on the end of the spiked shoe and if Tania didn't kill her at the end she would surely finally be executed by SPECTRE for serial incompetence.

In FRWL Blofeld is certainly calling the shots. In DN and TB is happy to let the guys in charge run the show therefore I would say he qualifies for main villain in FRWL but not DN or TB.
    The main character in every Bond film is James Bond. Not M.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 9,117

Except SF obviously.

But fair point I suppose. There again Professor Dent has way more screen time that Dr No. Is he the main villain?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited September 2016 Posts: 8,344
    edit.

Except SF obviously.

But fair point I suppose. There again Professor Dent has way more screen time that Dr No. Is he the main villain?

If that is the sole criterion, James Bond is the main villain.

Except SF obviously.

No because James Bond is a hero.

You have to actually be a villain in the first place to be eligible to be main villain.

Of course the lefties out there will say that James Bond is a villain because he represents white imperialism, is misogynist blah, blah, blah
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,708

Except SF obviously.

No because James Bond is a hero.

You have to actually be a villain in the first place to be eligible to be main villain.

Of course the lefties out there will say that James Bond is a villain because he represents white imperialism, is misogynist blah, blah, blah

So we can finally stop the arguing on whether Koskov or Whitaker is the main villain in TLD, as the true answer is Necros since he beats both in terms of screen time.
  • The Wizard wasn't making that claim as far as I can see. He was posing a rhetorical question which debunked that notion.
    Isn t Whitaker the hero by that standard?
    The Wizard wasn't making that claim as far as I can see. He was posing a rhetorical question which debunked that notion.

Thank you.

It really is a waste of time trying to debate things rationally on here.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Surely a bit of judgement is required here. It must be looked upon on a case by case basis.

Having thought about this more, I believe Kronsteen is the main villain in FRWL, because he is the one with strategic control. Klebb has operational control only. Kronsteen is the one who outlines the plan at the start of the film. Klebb says herself: "It was your plan. They followed it implicitly". Moreover, Blofeld kills Kronsteen and not Klebb. That suggests to me that he is held responsible for their failure in FRWL.

So despite having less screen time, I think Kronsteen is the main villain here. Blofeld is the boss of course, but this plan is Kronsteen's. He has the same role as Largo or Dr. No.
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    @tanaka123 They have also fiddled with the colours and grain structure of the old Bonds beyond acceptable thresholds....... hence a troubling 'praise' from certain "dimwits' on how Dr No in HD looks like it was made yesterday, friends if anyone wants a download of the director-approved Criterion laserdisc with the original colours don't ask me because I'm not sharing.

And this is a bad thing because?
    If a film made in 1962 has been restored to make it look better, then why is this a bad thing? The film itself hasn't been changed.

We're also drifting off topic here. Let's get back on track, to what this thread is here for.
    Any new things spotted?

No @Benny , it's best state is it's original state. The goal of film restoration is to get the film (including colours) as accurate to the original. It's been restored to look like an original 35mm print would have looked in 1962, at least that's the intention, an original 35mm print is the best quality you'll ever get.

Here

http://www.the007dossier.com/007dossier/post/2016/07/01/James-Bond-in-Glorious-Technicolor

you can see the differences.

I'm pretty passionate about the color timing issues as well. Having had the opportunity to see many of the Bonds on 35mm in the past several years, I distinctly remember the colors, and as sharp as most of the blu rays are, they often don't accurately represent what the prints look like on the big screen.
    To be honest, as lame as it sounds, I think the mid 1980s VHS editions of the Bond films are the closest in terms of colors, to the cinematic prints.
    Some of the blu-rays, I think aren't too far off, though. DAF, for instance is pretty close as is MR. GF is alright.
    The UE edition of TLD is WAY off the beam. The "chocolate box" shot of the sunrise in the desert is so muted it loses it's magic.
    I don't know about anyone else here, but I almost always go for the original mono track when popping these films in since the sound effects and music cues have been so drastically altered in the restored versions.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Never caught that before, either. Cats are the devil.