Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited May 30 Posts: 3,102
    No need to 'get beefy', I'd say. Someone like Leo Suter in Vikings: Valhalla would have a great physique for a modern Bond - clearly the result of putting in the work in the gym but in order to have all the advantages that Peter listed, rather than a powerlifter's 'beef.'
    CrabKey wrote: »
    If any actor can look as cool as Connery leaning against the Aston in the iconic GF publicity stills, that'll be a start.
    That's a 'no', then... ;)
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited May 30 Posts: 2,641
    If any actor can look as cool as Connery leaning against the Aston in the iconic GF publicity stills, that'll be a start.

Probably the most effortlessly cool image of Bond in history
    I think it’s fair to say the next actor will have to work out/do some sort of physical routine to prepare. Like I said it comes with the territory, and in itself exercise/getting into shape really isn’t a bad thing at all (I personally hate going to the gym but do enjoy swimming, hiking, and even have a morning routine half inspired by Bond’s, so I completely get it). Part of the role is looking physically fit.

But I think it’s also worth saying that the actor’s physical transformation in these sorts of films can become part of the publicity. People even today (and at the time no doubt) cite Christian Bale’s transformation for Batman and the incredible amount of muscle/weight he put on as a way of exemplifying just how dedicated an actor he is/how much effort went into the film. Batman Begins even had him doing spontaneous push ups/showing off how bulked up he was. It’s the same with Affleck. Again, contrast that with Pattinson who by comparison didn’t bulk up to that extent and had less scenes which showed off his frame (and who also initially lied about not working out because he didn’t want to promote unhealthy body standards… supposedly). Arguably his more lean physique is better suited to that version of Batman/that particular film, but it’s not uncommon to see people online compare him negatively in comparison to his predecessors for this. It’s not as though he put in less effort for the role (I’d argue his performance itself is far better than Bale or Affleck’s). Craig’s body transformation similarly was put at the forefront of CR with the beach scene in a way that hadn’t been quite the case with his predecessors.

There are plenty of other examples of actors’ physiques/their work outs being used to promote the work. I’ve spoken to at least three people recently who have watched YouTube videos of Alan Ritchson discussing his routine in tandem with Reacher and noted how much larger he looks in contrast to the other seasons (apparently he even admitted to taking TRT which, while honest, I'm not sure how I feel about him being so open about). Anyway, to cut a long post short, I think it’ll be interesting seeing if the next Bond’s physique will be put to the forefront of the film/publicity, or if the next actor will go more down a Pattison route.
    Jordo007 wrote: »

Probably the most effortlessly cool image of Bond in history

Absolutely!
    delfloria wrote: »
    If we're looking
    I hope we don't get a gym guy. I never got the feeling that Fleming's or the classic film Bond was dedicated to working out. Seemed to be more about pleasure than pain.

Yeah but it's too late for that. We are in the S. XXI. Nobody is going to believe that a skinny guy can do what Bond does.

Not going to the gym doesn't mean skinny. I would imagine Bond does a lot of calisthenics at home: "prison workouts." There's also things like running and swimming that get you in good enough shape.

In fact, I can't help but think that Fleming's Bond would dislike the gym and gym culture and dismiss it as a modern fad not worth participating in (and M would not hire gym-goers to MI6)

I'm not talking about "gym culture". What I'm saying is that the new actor is going to get beefy.

And that goes to my original comment................... Bond does not have to be "beefy" just fit. He should train for an assignment but not be in "Top Physical Body Building Shape" all the time. Hey, what the heck do I know................ I think he should still drink, have casual sex and..................smoke occasionally.

No, the films do not need to include smoking anymore. They were correct to get rid of that.
  • I doubt anyone wants to see any part of Bond's lifestyle in Bond 26, gym-goer or not, and at this point making him smoke would be a conscious decision that would also require analysis. Take this with a grain of salt, but I think most fans want Bond straight into action with a breezy, fast paced film, with plenty of good action and high lifestyle. The actor will be relatively fit, but whether Bond does weight training, functional fitness or just does pushups in his room won't matter much to the story.

Sadly this might mean an adventure devoid of much characterisation of Bond, and also sadly means little room for more Fleming aspects such as May, or quiet moments with Bond sat in a hotel room or bar.
    BMB007 wrote: »
    If we're looking
    I hope we don't get a gym guy. I never got the feeling that Fleming's or the classic film Bond was dedicated to working out. Seemed to be more about pleasure than pain.

Yeah but it's too late for that. We are in the S. XXI. Nobody is going to believe that a skinny guy can do what Bond does.

Not going to the gym doesn't mean skinny. I would imagine Bond does a lot of calisthenics at home: "prison workouts." There's also things like running and swimming that get you in good enough shape.

In fact, I can't help but think that Fleming's Bond would dislike the gym and gym culture and dismiss it as a modern fad not worth participating in (and M would not hire gym-goers to MI6)

I'm not talking about "gym culture". What I'm saying is that the new actor is going to get beefy.

And that goes to my original comment................... Bond does not have to be "beefy" just fit. He should train for an assignment but not be in "Top Physical Body Building Shape" all the time. Hey, what the heck do I know................ I think he should still drink, have casual sex and..................smoke occasionally.

No, the films do not need to include smoking anymore. They were correct to get rid of that.

Then we get to disagree. People always on the edge of being killed in the line of duty should be given the latitude to smoke. Even Bond.
    If we're looking

Then we get to disagree. People always on the edge of being killed in the line of duty should be given the latitude to smoke. Even Bond.

They shouldn't bring smoking back because we shouldn't show smoking as "cool" anymore. There is a reason they got rid of it thirty years ago.
    If we're looking

They shouldn't bring smoking back because we shouldn't show smoking as "cool" anymore. There is a reason they got rid of it thirty years ago.

We shouldn't show killing as "cool" either but that IS what Bond does. So why not have him smoke as well?
  • edited May 31 Posts: 1,132
    Venutius wrote: »
    No need to 'get beefy', I'd say. Someone like Leo Suter in Vikings: Valhalla would have a great physique for a modern Bond - clearly the result of putting in the work in the gym but in order to have all the advantages that Peter listed, rather than a powerlifter's 'beef.'
    That's a 'no', then... ;)

Leo Suter is a beefy guy. I don't get your point.
  • NoTimeToLiveNoTimeToLive Jamaica
    If we're looking

We shouldn't show killing as "cool" either but that IS what Bond does. So why not have him smoke as well?

+1. Why do people forget that Bond is meant to be unlikeable?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited May 31 Posts: 16,000
    If we're looking

It’s a false equivalence. We’ve literally a few posts ago seen folks praising how cool he is for leaning against a car. Bond is seen as cool by people, it’s just a fact, and more accessible, everyday facets of him are replicated and seen as aspirational.

Do people like to wear the same watches as him? Yes, that’s why Omega spend an awful lot of money associating with 007. Do those same people want to get tortured with a carpet beater?
    Look at Bond YouTubers like Calvin Dyson: they enjoy a Vesper Martini and mention it occasionally; he never says ‘ I think I’ll go and garotte the Russian ambassador’(!), because it’s not really the same thing :D
  • edited May 31 Posts: 1,132
    mtm wrote: »
    If we're looking

It’s a false equivalence. We’ve literally a few posts ago seen folks praising how cool he is for leaning against a car. Bond is seen as cool by people, it’s just a fact, and more accessible, everyday facets of him are replicated and seen as aspirational.

Do people like to wear the same watches as him? Yes, that’s why Omega spend an awful lot of money associating with 007. Do those same people want to get tortured with a carpet beater?
    Look at Bond YouTubers like Calvin Dyson: they enjoy a Vesper Martini and mention it occasionally; he never says ‘ I think I’ll go and garotte the Russian ambassador’(!), because it’s not really the same thing :D

It's not a false equivalence.

I don't mind the smoking thing but I think a clean version of Bond is a bad idea.

We already have Ethan Hunt for that.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If we're looking

Well that's me convinced :))
  • peterpeter Toronto
    If we're looking

Yeah, in Deke's world, if he says something, it becomes a fact. No explanation necessary.
    peter wrote: »
    If we're looking

Yeah, in Deke's world, if he says something, it becomes a fact. No explanation necessary.

Do you want an explanation? Sure, James Bond is a fantasy and that's why I want him dirty.

A clean version of Bond is quite boring.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited May 31 Posts: 1,884
    If we're looking

:)) He's a master at would-be glib remarks.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    If we're looking

💯!!
    If we're looking

It's not my fault that this is The Twilight Zone :D
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I think the smoking thing is a non-starter in today's environment. Even smoking weed would be more acceptable than tobacco!
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Bond smokes cigarettes in several recent Dynamite comics, but it's never pointed out. I wonder why it's acceptable in the comics but not in other mediums.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think the smoking thing is a non-starter in today's environment. Even smoking weed would be more acceptable than tobacco!

Imagine Bond smoking weed. Confronting the bad guy would be a very different thing. ;-)
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    edited May 31 Posts: 869
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Imagine Bond smoking weed. Confronting the bad guy would be a very different thing. ;-)

Lol! Now I'm imagining the Goldfinger scene where he's trying to defuse the atomic bomb, only unhurriedly puffing on a Camberwell carrot. It's different.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Lol! Now I'm imagining the Goldfinger scene where he's trying to defuse the atomic bomb, only unhurriedly puffing on a Camberwell carrot. It's different.

Honestly, I'd love that! :-D
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    If we're looking

Is it?
  • edited May 31 Posts: 3,744
    echo wrote: »
    If we're looking

Is it?

"You're travelling through another dimension - a dimension of James Bond movies, Ian Fleming novels, and harrowing echoes of Bond 26 speculation. You make the leap of faith from the login to the forum page and an assault of words and opinions envelops you. You slowly type out a one line reply. Is this Hell or limbo? No, it's the Twilight Zone..."
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I think the difference between Bond smoking and drinking is what conveys to the audience.
    He drinks as a vice and to cope with the toll of the job, but him drinking shows he's in control and he's composed.

Him smoking would be he's smoking because of the toll of the job, but he's struggling with the pressure of it. Smoking isn't seen as socially acceptable and cool as it was in Connery's era, people who smoke now are seen as anxious, like Tommy Shelby in Peaky Blinders.

One thing James Bond should never be is anxious
    Will you guys make your minds up! I've just smoked my last pack and got the weight out the garage.
  • delfloria wrote: »
    If we're looking

+1. Why do people forget that Bond is meant to be unlikeable?

How exactly is Bond meant to be unlikeable? And if he's unlikeable, how does he attract all the women he does in the films and novels? How does Bond being unlikable contribute to the best films
    Bond's a bit of a bastard no doubt, and he doesn't see morality as black and white, but he's not unlikeable, neither is he an anti-hero. If anything it's the fact that he's likeable and ultimately virtuous which makes his character work.