Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

CrabKey wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    I would say that the nods are subtly necessary in that it keeps Bond films fresh and relevant, by adapting to the current cinema trends. It doesn't always work, though (*coughSPcough*).

Copying others doesn't feel fresh to me. I want others copying Bond. But of course it's all a matter of how we view things.

If they don't copy others, they copy themselves. It's a war that can't be won.

I only ask that they don't make the same movie every time

That's one of my issues with QoS - the lift 'fight' is Bond easily slapping down three MI6 agents, which I felt was self-consciously Borne-like, only Bourne is supposed to be super-agent only other super-agents can handle, whilst Bond... yes, he's better than your standard agent, but MI6 should know his strengths and use appropriate personnel. The distance between them shouldn't be so great. As it is, it jars with the fight at the end where Bond then struggles with the rather pathetic Greene, who he should have been able to handle easily. They're two extremes and they don't sit well together for me.

I don't know if they're really that extreme - Greene was like a rabid dog swinging an axe for the majority of that final fight.

Yeah, Bond is used to fighting people who generally can fight back, knowing what they’re doing. Greene doesnt and is just going crazy flinging an axe around - much more dangerous, unpredictable.
    Bond still beats him easily though. It just catches him slightly off guard that Green goes into a frenzy with the metal bar. I really don't remember Bond struggling during that fight apart from that (certainly not when he grabs the axe).

It's a bit of a misfire as I said. Green's not a physical threat, he's a sadistic b*stard who gets inside people's heads. They could have played up to that, or have Bond get legitimately incapacitated/put at a disadvantage (maybe Green plays a dirty trick, throws something in Bond's eyes/wounds him badly). He's not really the right villain to go head to head with Bond in a burning building. The whole fight is pretty predictable.
    I would say that the nods are subtly necessary in that it keeps Bond films fresh and relevant, by adapting to the current cinema trends. It doesn't always work, though (*coughSPcough*).

Copying others doesn't feel fresh to me. I want others copying Bond. But of course it's all a matter of how we view things.

We did get to view it when it was fresh and new and......................hundreds of other projects copied or referenced Bond from movies to after shave lotion.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    It’s only taken three months, but at least one media outlet is admitting the lie behind ATJ’s casting:

“Amid claims that a British actor had been formally offered the part, it was falsely reported that Aaron Taylor-Johnson had been cast”…..

https://metro.co.uk/2024/06/22/james-bond-bosses-really-looking-next-007-21073184/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Gosh, that's a proper filler piece, touting an interview that's the best part of four years old as an exclusive.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    mtm wrote: »
    Gosh, that's a proper filler piece, touting an interview that's the best part of four years old as an exclusive.

Pretty pathetic, isn’t it?
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    I am sure that reference (from the April article) to Egerton being ‘favourite’ is baseless (coming from an interview with a gambling site) but it allows my dream to Live Another Day. He remains my number one choice for the role.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    Ugh, Egerton is one of my most disliked actors in modern film. Just absolutely has nothing to offer.
    Ugh, Egerton is one of my most disliked actors in modern film. Just absolutely has nothing to offer.
    If you haven’t seen Black Bird, I’d suggest dipping into it. It’s an excellent series and Hauser and Liotta’s performances are worth a watch, even if Egerton isn’t your cup of tea.

Where are the tall actors?
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex

Where are the tall actors?

They’re auditioning to play Wolverine.
    I’m now more convinced than ever before that Chris Nolan will write and direct BOND 26 and I’m expecting an official announcement in around 3 months.
    My comment regarding Egerton reflects my preference for a return to something like TSWLM for Bond 26 and the next era. I would prefer a return to a lighter tone and a preference to leave the cinema punching the air, rather than scratching my head. To me, Egerton is somewhere between Moore and Brosnan and could nail that take on the character. I certainly would not cast him, if EoN is planning to do another CR, TLD or OHMSS.
    I assume if the Villeneuve rumours are to be believed, Egerton has zero chance of getting the gig, though. If Edgar Wright is announced in the next few months as director, however, I will be rushing to my local bookies to place the house on Taron!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @meshypushy

Wright is directing The Running Man later this year, then;

BB DRIVER 2 as his next film after ...
    Thanks for the update @peter - I was not aware of that. Hopefully his Running Man is better than Wiseman's Total Recall (which ironically, I have Zero Recall of). I am in the minority of those who enjoyed Baby Driver, so I’d be interested in seeing where he goes with the sequel.
    This list of potential directors and actors is dwindling by the day!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Another Baby Driver? That's an odd choice. I remember enjoying it enough but not loving it.
    Weren't there problems with the star? Has he worked much since?
    Another Baby Driver? That's an odd choice. I remember enjoying it enough but not loving it.
    Weren't there problems with the star? Has he worked much since?
    I think at least three of the cast have been accused of sexual assault.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yikes!
    @delfloria -- No argument there.
    meshypushy wrote: »
    My comment regarding Egerton reflects my preference for a return to something like TSWLM for Bond 26 and the next era. I would prefer a return to a lighter tone and a preference to leave the cinema punching the air, rather than scratching my head. To me, Egerton is somewhere between Moore and Brosnan and could nail that take on the character. I certainly would not cast him, if EoN is planning to do another CR, TLD or OHMSS.
    I assume if the Villeneuve rumours are to be believed, Egerton has zero chance of getting the gig, though. If Edgar Wright is announced in the next few months as director, however, I will be rushing to my local bookies to place the house on Taron!

Having recently revisited TSWLM, my preference is not a return to that silliness.
    Yikes!
    The sequel could be a prison escape movie at this rate!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    :))
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 26 Posts: 1,535
    I don't think there's going to be much departure from Craig Bond's style, though. But I feel what's needed, is a balance between dark and light. I think after Craig's Bond, maybe predictability might be gone. I would like Bond to kiss the girl again at the end. But after Craig's Bond, it's highly likely that the ending of each future Bond film would be different, depending on the story. I know we're very, very, very far from that...but we don't even know if Bond 7 would survive at the end of his own era. Although, it seems like EON would want Craig to have that distinction as the only Bond to die. But still, it makes Bond 7's era very unpredictable, but somewhat interesting.
  • edited June 26 Posts: 3,296
    The Craig era changed a lot as the films progressed. I’ve always said I don’t think we’ll see a tonal shift quite as big as what we got with CR as there’s no creative need to do so (there’s no rival series filling a gap Bond isn’t, and the newer films, while critiqued by fans, were very successful. Generally speaking there’s not much desire to see a Bond film that goes completely into ‘light chocolate’ territory, but neither is there one to see an overly gritty Bond).

Not to say there won’t be differences between the new era and Craig’s, but I don’t think it’ll be a million miles away from NTTD - there could be a rather dark story at its heart, but with a healthy dose of lightheartedness and Bondian fantasy. We could see some of those more classic Bond tropes re contextualised in a specific story, but ultimately they’ll be included (which is actually different to CR/where Craig’s era began). The villain could have a similar sympathetic streak that Safin and Silva had despite being evil. Maybe a dose of ‘5 minutes into the future’ tech.
    NTTD has al lot of stuff like nanobots and fake eyes. The next one could be more fantastic and colorful. Thank goodness Bond doesn't need to die in the movie.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Maybe Bond can die in every movie now, like Kenny.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Maybe Bond can die in every movie now, like Kenny.

I agree with this! A new creative way of killing James Bond in every film! It keeps the people writing the scripts on their toes, as well as the audience, as they await what inventive way James will go *this* time!

I’m with you @echo !
    I believe the greater challenge for the next Bond series will be Bond 27. Bond 26 will come with the hoopla of a new Bond. Typically that first outing with a new actor is a fairly impressive film. What comes after is often a bit of a let down. I expect 26 with a younger Bond will be an adrenaline rush of non-stop action in the amped up vein of action movies we've seen over the past few years. The challenge for any writer and director will be creating something fresh out of something over sixty years old. There's very much of a been there, done that feel to Bond films. I don't envy the creators trying to come up with something we haven't seen. It may not be possible. It may end up being a different take on things we've seen before.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I believe the greater challenge for the next Bond series will be Bond 27. Bond 26 will come with the hoopla of a new Bond. Typically that first outing with a new actor is a fairly impressive film. What comes after is often a bit of a let down. I expect 26 with a younger Bond will be an adrenaline rush of non-stop action in the amped up vein of action movies we've seen over the past few years. The challenge for any writer and director will be creating something fresh out of something over sixty years old. There's very much of a been there, done that feel to Bond films. I don't envy the creators trying to come up with something we haven't seen. It may not be possible. It may end up being a different take on things we've seen before.

I don't feel like there is a been there, done that feel to Bond films at all lately.

If anything, the Craig films have subverted the formula, again and again, in refreshing and unexpected ways...even the Craig films I didn't love.

People are still in denial that Bond died in NTTD, which is inexplicable to me. It's not like Bond is a real person, unlike, say, Hannibal Lecter. ;)

Bond's dead, finished. The least we can expect now is a little plain solid posting.

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Let's just hope for the best, though. What I feel is, Craig's era was an experiment that was for the most part, successful. The next era would be planned properly, (especially if they want to serialize the films again) so characters won't suddenly say they belonged to an organization all along, or they were the ones responsible for Bond's pain.
    Madeleine being Mr White's daughter and Mr White killing Safin's family were the ones that worked naturally for me.