Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited August 4 Posts: 3,112
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    No FB, X, Instagram, TikTok... When people look at me funny, I've got three things to say
    Same - no FB, no Instagram, no Twitter/X, no LinkedIn, nowt. TikTok - wot? No one looks at me funny, though, they know full well what I'm like! I used to joke that if there was an anti-social media, I'd sign up for that but, realistically, I wouldn't do that either... :D
  • ArapahoeBondFanArapahoeBondFan Colorado
    edited August 5 Posts: 39
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    delfloria wrote: »
    For the members here that don't have a social presence at all, these comments must be concerning. Can one truly exist without a social presence these days?

I know a man who once told me that he has no social media presence whatsoever. He said that even though you don't make a Facebook account it creates a kind of straw man placeholder account for you to encourage you to sign up fully. So, in this day and age, it's really very hard not to have some sort of online presence or extension of oneself in the digital world.

My social media presence online is limited to... this forum. No FB, X, Instagram, TikTok... When people look at me funny, I've got three things to say:

2) Teacher. Oh boy, there's no way I'm exposing myself online. Also, I've seen too much drama take place among teens and their social media activities. I hold these platforms accountable for some serious human tragedies.
    I totally understand this. I have two YouTube channels. One that used to be Google video back in the day where, as a high school student who, at the time, enjoyed making movies (yes that included Bond movies all with yours truly as 007) as a hobby and for projects. I had forgotten about for it sometime, a few embarrassing videos remain for your eyes only.
    The other was for a technology class for my teaching certificate. I ended up posting a couple of videos related to Bond. I set different music to a couple of the pretitles sequences.
    Lo and Behold my students found them along with my address and phone number. I was advised to keep the latter two videos private because of the 'erotic' nature (this person evidently has never seen a Bond movie).
    Since then, I have had Google remove all traces of me except for my name with school's website. Now that I think of it, I truly hope my Myspace was scrubbed. Haven't logged in for 15 years.
    So...Bond shouldn't have social media.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    007HallY wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    CrabKey wrote: »
    I feel the way to keep Bond interesting is not to pander to the concept of modernizing him: social media, playing video games, contemporary music, etc. Stuff that screams out "I'm so now." Thanks to Q Branch, Bond has always been a step ahead anyway. Part of the mystique of the character is we really don't know what he does in his spare time. The most dated looking of all the Bonds is Roger Moore and that's because his Bond went from wearing the traditional dark Bond suit to leisure outfits etc. There's more a timeless quality with all the others, except a couple of Lazenby scenes. That our new Bond will use a smartphone is nothing important. All Bonds have used the current technology available at the time their films were made. Allow the new Bond to move through his world without signposting or calling attention to things. Do we need to see Bond skateboarding to identify with a younger audience? One of the worst scenes ever of pandering to a younger audience was Bond windsurfing. I like the idea that Bond is not one of us.

It's a delicate mix though. As Amis says in the James Bond Dossier, a key part of Bond is his grounded fantasy. He's spectacular, but as spectacular as we would be if we tried like he did. A large part of this is being like us in aspects of our personal life, or at least the us we dream to be.
    I don't know if Bond listening to music is something that might be divisive. Because I expect to see Bond doing some unusual things in the next era. Not that I want that to happen, but to get the next generation interested, it might happen.

Interesting question, @SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷. Would Bond have a facebook account? (I've been told that not having a "socials" something makes one very suspect. I guess I'm very suspect then. ;-) )

Bond would have some sort of online presence to sooth anyone checking him out. A Facebook for networking, an Instagram with a few photos of scenes of his travels, a Linkedin connecting him with Transworld Consortium. I expect the only photos of him online would be the outdated (slight edited?) Linkedin photos.

A pet however probably wouldn't make much sense. Bond wouldn't want to put in the time and effort of taking care of it. "Never buy anything that eats" and all that. And without May, how would the pet get taken care of when Bond's abroad for a long time.

As for music, I would assume Bond would try to be a chameleon, listen to all types to connect with others. I suspect he would have a preference for lyricless music though for some reason.

If they wanted to reference social media they could always take inspiration from Higson’s OHiMSS where it’s mentioned Bond has no presence online due to being a 00. I like it as a little idea (ie. The villain tries to identify Bond but it’s stated he has no internet presence) but it’s not necessarily needed either.

In OHiMSS Bond does have a social media presence. Just not enough for him to identifiable. But I think he says Q branch takes care of that

I thought it was his alias’ that got the Q-Branch treatment/the fake social media presence, but he himself doesn’t have anything.

I like the idea whatever way that James Bond himself has a weirdly limited online presence for nowadays. Probably suspicious as all hell/a way of telling he’s a spy, but it adds that little bit of detail, and Bond is fantasy at the end of the day.

Yeah all of that makes sense to me: aliases with a presence but the ‘real’ Bond has nothing. But really I can’t imagine this coming up in a Bond movie.

Probably not. The most I can imagine is a little line or moment perhaps. Again, something like the villain discovering Bond’s real name and a background check on him coming back with nothing online. I wouldn’t want it dwelled upon in detail (it runs the risk of becoming too Mission Impossible with the alias aspect).

But otherwise I don’t think Bond’s habits need to be especially modernised.

Yeah, basically something like Gupta’s check in him in TND: just a brief mention. I don’t see Bond’s personal, non-mission habits coming into it.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    For the members here that don't have a social presence at all, these comments must be concerning. Can one truly exist without a social presence these days?

I know a man who once told me that he has no social media presence whatsoever. He said that even though you don't make a Facebook account it creates a kind of straw man placeholder account for you to encourage you to sign up fully. So, in this day and age, it's really very hard not to have some sort of online presence or extension of oneself in the digital world.

My social media presence online is limited to... this forum. No FB, X, Instagram, TikTok... When people look at me funny, I've got three things to say:

2) Teacher. Oh boy, there's no way I'm exposing myself online. Also, I've seen too much drama take place among teens and their social media activities. I hold these platforms accountable for some serious human tragedies.
    I totally understand this. I have two YouTube channels. One that used to be Google video back in the day where, as a high school student who, at the time, enjoyed making movies (yes that included Bond movies all with yours truly as 007) as a hobby and for projects. I had forgotten about for it sometime, a few embarrassing videos remain for your eyes only.
    The other was for a technology class for my teaching certificate. I ended up posting a couple of videos related to Bond. I set different music to a couple of the pretitles sequences.
    Lo and Behold my students found them along with my address and phone number. I was advised to keep the latter two videos private because of the 'erotic' nature (this person evidently has never seen a Bond movie).
    Since then, I have had Google remove all traces of me except for my name with school's website. Now that I think of it, I truly hope my Myspace was scrubbed. Haven't logged in for 15 years.
    So...Bond shouldn't have social media.

Glad I'm not the only one who understands the dangerous life of a teacher and how it's best for us to keep the "socials" out of our lives.

Also, erotic nature? 😄 That made me laugh, @ArapahoeBondFan.
    V: "It appears you're quite the cyclist, Mr. Bond."
    B: "That's an old one. MI6 staff keep liking my photos."
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    The EoN folk set up a company to handle the Othello production last week, so I guess that’s their short-term focus.
    I suspect it's encouraging that EON are up and running regardless of the project (not to say they've been sitting around doing nothing since NTTD, far from it).
    I suspect it's encouraging that EON are up and running regardless of the project (not to say they've been sitting around doing nothing since NTTD, far from it).
    I guess if this goes ahead without MGM involvement, the conspiracy theories will fly also!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    meshypushy wrote: »
    The EoN folk set up a company to handle the Othello production last week, so I guess that’s their short-term focus.

I can't see anything on Companies House? Although I know there can be several entries for the same person.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/Yf1BxHNvo5ENIUFZKDNY6ghxArU/appointments

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/S-fn_wwzDoscAiw7KWl-vIwbtD4/appointments

I can't see anything on Companies House? Although I know there can be several entries for the same person.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/Yf1BxHNvo5ENIUFZKDNY6ghxArU/appointments

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/S-fn_wwzDoscAiw7KWl-vIwbtD4/appointments
    https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/15870439
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 5 Posts: 16,099
    Thanks: yes, another, new entry for her! (plus two John Roebucks!)

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/CuTd_juZaxR8shkZjZ5ZNRyZwC8/appointments

No sign of Wilson though, I wonder if he's retiring.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/officers/CuTd_juZaxR8shkZjZ5ZNRyZwC8/appointments

The website is full of dupes - it’s a pain in the ass to go snooping around it!
    There is an API, so if anyone was so inclined, a small piece of code could be written to save the time of us amateur sleuths - search for officers, include the dupes and then do a search for companies associated with the full list of officers and then return any new companies.
    I’m surprised that Gregg isn’t involved and one would assume that Michael G is taking a step back.
    Good find, everyone!

The website is full of dupes - it’s a pain in the ass to go snooping around it!
    There is an API, so if anyone was so inclined, a small piece of code could be written to save the time of us amateur sleuths - search for officers, include the dupes and then do a search for companies associated with the full list of officers and then return any new companies.
    I’m surprised that Gregg isn’t involved and one would assume that Michael G is taking a step back.

IIRC Gregg Wilson is involved with the video game, but I don't know how much time that takes up. I don't believe Michael Wilson was involved with "Till" as well.
    I still say there are just so many hours in the day and brain cells to be used. Each of these projects outside of Bond continue to sap away the creativity and logistics that could be put toward a new 007 film. Of course if there is a master plan to hold back the next Bond until there is much more distance from Craig's era then that would make sense. I just hope there is a plan as opposed to avoidance.
  • edited August 6 Posts: 3,824
    I can imagine a scenario where the game is going to come first and then a film will follow that a year or whatever later. It could drum up some excitement and potentially get some new viewers onboard. That said I don't think it's an airtight plan or anything, and I don't think we have an ETA on the game... or indeed the next film!

So really, who knows?
    I am a Bond fan, not an EON fan. That EON is working on other projects doesn't suggest to me we're a fraction closer to a Bond film.
    I am a Bond fan, not an EON fan. That EON is working on other projects doesn't suggest to me we're a fraction closer to a Bond film.

Only so many hours in a day.

The Bond films are EON films for better or for worse. They wouldn’t be Bond as we know it under an alternative company.

I think a company (and by extension its producers) working even on smaller projects, and indeed more than one over the past few years, points to an active presence in the film industry. It’s not a sign we’re going to get an imminent Bond movie, but it points to some sort that ‘machine’ working as it were.

The Bond films are EON films for better or for worse. They wouldn’t be Bond as we know it under an alternative company.

I think a company (and by extension its producers) working even on smaller projects, and indeed more than one over the past few years, points to an active presence in the film industry. It’s not a sign we’re going to get an imminent Bond movie, but it points to some sort that ‘machine’ working as it were.

The Bond films have not been the Bond films as I've known them for many, many, many years now.

It was true after all. They are busy with others projects.

The Bond films have not been the Bond films as I've known them for many, many, many years now.

Depends on when you first watched them I guess. But I think some of us underestimate just how much of EON's work is actually in the onscreen character and all these films. These are EON James Bond films and always have been. Bond and EON aren't completely inseparable when it comes to the films in that sense.
  • edited August 6 Posts: 1,179
    They do whatever they want with the character so I don't see the problem that others do it too. NTTD doesn't seem like an official movie, so, who cares?
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    They do whatever they want with the character so I don't see the problem that others do it too. NTTD doesn't seem like an official movie, so, who cares?

NTTD is an official movie, whether it seems like it to you or not is irrelevant. The feelings of any fan isn't going to make EON decide to call it a day, because they didn't like the story of their most recent Bond film. Nor does it make any difference as to when a new Bond film will appear. If you don't like EON that's fine, I'm sure they'll get over it. But they are the ones who have made all of the Bond film since DN in the official film series, and unless something changes, they will make Bond 26.
    Whining, crying, spitting the dummy and stomping your feet isn't going to achieve anything. Enjoy as many of the back catalogue of Bond films as you like in the mean time, and look forward to a point where you can go to your nearest cinema and enjoy Bond 26 whenever it comes. Or continue to disapprove of all that happens, in a situation you have no control over and call for a boycott to people who have no idea who you are. Remember the Craig not Bond morons (they're not fans) calling for a boycott of the film.
    That went well. :-j
    The casting of Bond number 7 will happen, and the development of the next film will proceed, all in good time. You just have to be patient.
    Benny wrote: »

NTTD is an official movie, whether it seems like it to you or not is irrelevant. The feelings of any fan isn't going to make EON decide to call it a day, because they didn't like the story of their most recent Bond film. Nor does it make any difference as to when a new Bond film will appear. If you don't like EON that's fine, I'm sure they'll get over it. But they are the ones who have made all of the Bond film since DN in the official film series, and unless something changes, they will make Bond 26.
    Whining, crying, spitting the dummy and stomping your feet isn't going to achieve anything. Enjoy as many of the back catalogue of Bond films as you like in the mean time, and look forward to a point where you can go to your nearest cinema and enjoy Bond 26 whenever it comes. Or continue to disapprove of all that happens, in a situation you have no control over and call for a boycott to people who have no idea who you are. Remember the Craig not Bond morons (they're not fans) calling for a boycott of the film.
    The casting of Bond number 7 will happen, and the development of the next film will proceed, all in good time. You just have to be patient.

All in good time, after they finish Othello and then whatever else is next, the second season of their reality show perhaps?
  • edited August 6 Posts: 1,179

It doesn't matter anymore. They killed Bond and they are going to make another movie. Nothing is "offical". It's another versión.

The Bond formula is different too. So, nothing matters anymore.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited August 6 Posts: 526
    I think its a fair criticism that when Eon doesn't do Bond, they haven't really made anything noteworthy, outside of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and that was Cubby doing Ian's book!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think its a fair criticism that when Eon doesn't do Bond, they haven't really made anything noteworthy, outside of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and that was Cubby doing Ian's book!

Have we forgotten that Danjac and EON were specifically founded for the Bond films? Criticizing EON for not being involved in anything else is a bit strange.

It doesn't matter anymore. They killed Bond and they are going to make another movie. Nothing is "offical". It's another versión.

The Bond formula is different too. So, nothing matters anymore.

They've been making different versions of Bond since the early days. And what would not be "official" about that? Your reasoning is weird. Are Warner's Batman films not official because of the various versions we've seen so far?

Ow yes, the "Bond formula", that thing that has a different meaning to all of us. What's different is that the cinematic Bond started in the '60s and is now a part of the third decade of 21st century. You bet that some things are different. They better be. I don't want 25 films repeating each other. Bond died in one film. He flew around the Earth in another. He took a train ride with a resurrected voodoo priest in another still. Same Bond, same universe, same continuity?

"Nothing matters anymore..." And what, pray tell, is the point behind this dramatic exclamation? Because NTTD is a film you have issues with, all is lost? You went from a few things you disliked to game over for Bond? Wow, here's that TikTok mentality again...

"Till" was a critical success.
    BMB007 wrote: »

"Till" was a critical success.
    Some of us were fans of Macbeth on Broadway too.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    I just don't find Barbara Broccoli very impressive as a producer,

Two examples:

she's frequently has trouble putting Bond scripts together on time in a completed state, or she employs thirty writers and the film feels like a hodgepodge of different ideas and directions,

and
    She gives too much control over to the director and we get stuff like Brofeld soap opera,

I don't mean to bash, but I find it preposterous how defensive people get about Lord Eon when you're merely expressing your opinion. I like debate, but its like you just spoke ill of Grandfather on Christmas.