Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    edited August 30 Posts: 650
    Zekidk wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if we cut down a little on the globetrotting and went back to keeping the majority of the film confined to one country (or even one city)
    That would go against audience expectation. Like not having the JB theme in it. The next one should go bigger, not smaller.

I think you can still be big within the same country. A large chunk of SF took place in Britain and it didn't suffer for it. I don't necessarily mean Bond 26 either, it's just something I'd like to see at some point during the next era.
  • edited August 30 Posts: 3,827
    I reckon we’re unlikely to get a DN situation where the locations are only London and Jamaica (although never say never). But I also think if it suits the story and we get a good variety of set pieces, sure the bulk of the next adventure could potentially take place in a single country.

As for where it could be, aren’t EON trying to shoot their Othello in Doha? Maybe it might pop up in Bond 26 (it’s quite an interesting place to film potentially with good central city visuals, a port which has some cool exterior imagery and a large aquarium, desert, some great architecture). Not sure if it’ll happen one way or the other though (Qatar’s a bit of a controversial country to put it mildly, so perhaps not worth it).
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I prefer a single or two country first, sometimes going from one country to another would make the film a bit convoluted really, I can prove this in the previous Bond films so far: DAF, OP, TLD, TWINE, DAD and NTTD.

Because in a transfer from another country, there should be a purpose, a story, another narrative that would happen in that place, and how it would mix in with the general plot, and it's a hard thing to do, unlike a one or two locations only.

Very few Bond films (or maybe two, at least in my estimation) had achieved the multiple locations but could still work, the examples are OHMSS and MR, and because they have straightforward plots, one scene could lead to the clue, a missing piece of puzzle to fully investigate the plot.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    FYEO moves about a bit, though its main location is Greece.
  • edited August 30 Posts: 3,256
    Best example of a one-country movie is YOLT. It works because there's a city setting, a countryside setting, a harbour setting, an island setting, dayscenes, nightscenes, scenes with the sun setting, scenes with the sun rising, all those fantastic interior Ken Adam sets. It's extremely varied, unlike a movie like LTK that felt like one long episode of Miami Vice in the sun or even SF where I never really felt that Bond went to Shanghai and Macao.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Very few Bond films (or maybe two, at least in my estimation) had achieved the multiple locations but could still work, the examples are OHMSS and MR,
    The first 90 minutes of MR is one beautiful shot after the other where all the money is up there on the screen. And they took advantage of every location. Venice? Let's have that chase through the canals. Rio? Those cable cars surely would make for a cool setpiece (ludicrously used for a segment in 007: Road to a Million, btw)
  • edited August 30 Posts: 3,827
    I guess the only Bond film that takes place in a single country (at least if you don't count space/wherever the nations meeting is meant to be) is YOLT... although even then I'm pretty sure Bond's 'death' is meant to be in Hong Kong...
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 30 Posts: 1,922
    I would love Bond to spend more time on a train in Bond 26. Maybe like FRWL, although with more action...back and forth on the train. Suspenseful scenes on the train and big and inventive action on the train as well. Not that the entire film would be on the train. But the train scenes would be so good, that it would standout.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    YOLT : Hong Kong, Russia, Japan, USA
    DN : UK, Jamaica
    GF : Central American country, USA, UK, Switzerland

OP : Central American Country, Germany, UK, Russia, India
    AVTAK : Russia, UK, France, USA
    GE : Russia, UK, Monaco, Cuba.

Bond films travel. I’m trying to think of one with less locations?
  • OHMSS has few locations: Portugal, Switzerland, England
    LALD: San Monique, UK, USA
    TB: Bahamas, UK
    DAF: USA, Netherlands, UK
    Which normally adds us to main location, UK for briefing and an intermediary location to find clues before the main location.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 30 Posts: 16,120
    I dunno, I like Bond films which have a few locations. Around three (maybe excluding PTS and London briefings) feels like the sweet spot. Crazily I like the films as they have been! :)
    https://movieweb.com/who-will-be-bond-26-director/

A short list of directors is a good thing right?
    Obviously it's not official or anything, but out of that list the two I'm most interested in are Berger and Demange.
    edited August 30 Posts: 1,922
    007HallY wrote: »
    Obviously it's not official or anything, but out of that list the two I'm most interested in are Berger and Demange.

Yeah. Good picks. Same here.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I'm not sure what else is left to do with skiing in a Bond film. AVTAK and TWINE were pale imitations of what came before.

There's always snowboarding but there they run the risk of seeming like they're trying too hard to be "hip" (DAD PTS, I'm looking at you).

On the other hand, I think train scenes almost always (always?) work in a Bond film.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I'd love another bobsled fight with a villain
    echo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what else is left to do with skiing in a Bond film. AVTAK and TWINE were pale imitations of what came before.

There's always snowboarding but there they run the risk of seeming like they're trying too hard to be "hip" (DAD PTS, I'm looking at you).

On the other hand, I think train scenes almost always (always?) work in a Bond film.

Trains are always cinematic. In everything genre a train is a wonderful set.
    Bond-movies should try to be first movers when it comes to action setpieces.

A parkour footchase that ends on top of a crane was original. A bikechase on the rooftop of a very large building was original. Fighting inside a haywire helicopter over a huge crowd was original. A car chase is not, a fight on top of a moving train is not and a big shoot-out is most certainly not. But action in the snow pretty much still belongs to Bond. We had skis, a cello case, a snowboard, snowscooters even a plane in the snow. Maybe it's time for Q-department to come up with something new, like:
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    edited August 30 Posts: 650
    I guess the only Bond film that takes place in a single country (at least if you don't count space/wherever the nations meeting is meant to be) is YOLT... although even then I'm pretty sure Bond's 'death' is meant to be in Hong Kong...

I don't mean the entire film should take place in one country. Obviously you would have scenes in the UK and probably somewhere else for the PTS, but I like it when the films stick to one or two countries for the bulk of the running time, as opposed to flying all over the place.
    Benny wrote: »
    YOLT : Hong Kong, Russia, Japan, USA
    DN : UK, Jamaica
    GF : Central American country, USA, UK, Switzerland

OP : Central American Country, Germany, UK, Russia, India
    AVTAK : Russia, UK, France, USA
    GE : Russia, UK, Monaco, Cuba.

Bond films travel. I’m trying to think of one with less locations?

Yes, but in all those films apart GE, there's a good deal of time spend in one or two of those places. DN in Jamaica, YOLT in Japan (Bond never actually sets foot in Russia or the US), GF in the US and Switzerland (I'm not including the UK as that's usually a given), OP in India and Germany (again Bond never sets foot in Russia), and AVTAK in France and the US.

Like I said, I don't mean Bond shouldn't travel at all.
    mtm wrote: »
    I dunno, I like Bond films which have a few locations. Around three (maybe excluding PTS and London briefings) feels like the sweet spot. Crazily I like the films as they have been! :)

But you can still have that number of locations within one or two countries, excluding the PTS and scenes in Britain.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 30 Posts: 6,181
    I like the mix of cold and warm locations in OP. I think it is one of the few to break Cubby's "rule" of never going back to a location Bond has already left.

But going back to India does give us the glorious tiger double take.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart

A parkour footchase that ends on top of a crane was original. A bikechase on the rooftop of a very large building was original. Fighting inside a haywire helicopter over a huge crowd was original. A car chase is not, a fight on top of a moving train is not and a big shoot-out is most certainly not. But action in the snow pretty much still belongs to Bond. We had skis, a cello case, a snowboard, snowscooters even a plane in the snow. Maybe it's time for Q-department to come up with something new, like:
    maxresdefault.jpg

Is that a Nerf Football?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Well it wouldn't work for to film in 2015 a ski sequence as was done in 1976 for TSWLM

Snow machines.

Or a car from Q Branch battles three huge snow plows.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I like the mix of cold and warm locations in OP.

Yeah I think the weirdest is NSNA (they didn't quite understand Bond) - it takes place in two practically identical locations which are thousands of miles apart: the Bahamas and South of France. Pretty different places to visit, but on screen they look almost like the same place!
  • edited August 30 Posts: 1,184
    mtm wrote: »
    I like the mix of cold and warm locations in OP.

Yeah I think the weirdest is NSNA (they didn't quite understand Bond) - it takes place in two practically identical locations which are thousands of miles apart: the Bahamas and South of France. Pretty different places to visit, but on screen they look almost like the same place!

LALD and LTK have the same problem. There is not enough contrast.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, LTK is not the clearest like that. Key West and Isthmus are not that separate, cinematically.
  • edited August 31 Posts: 3,827

I don't mean the entire film should take place in one country. Obviously you would have scenes in the UK and probably somewhere else for the PTS, but I like it when the films stick to one or two countries for the bulk of the running time, as opposed to flying all over the place.

Yeah, I think it could work for a future Bond film, so long as there’s a good variety within that main location.

Perhaps we could have a fictional location/island or whatever? Something the film could really make its own.
  • edited August 31 Posts: 1,846

maxresdefault.jpg

I don't need to see Bond on skis again unless there's an entirely new angle to it.

Post merged
    It's not about how many or how few countries the story takes place in, it's the story.

Mod edit : @CrabKey this is becoming a habit. It has been asked that members do no multi post like you had done. Just two minutes apart from the previous post.
    Please use the edit function. It's not that hard.
    CrabKey wrote: »
    an entirely new angle
    That's it. And that is why those gadgets and crazy machines we saw pre-Craig need to come back. I'm not referring to a sci-fi invisible car or just a car equipped with a machinegun, but stuff we haven't seen before on the silver screen:
    DftL3SR.jpeg
    edited August 31 Posts: 1,922
    Yeah, we need us some reasonable James Bond gadgets back. After DAD, Eon are now so scared to fully embrace Bond's gadgetry again. Maybe it might just start again with Bond 26.
    We had the wonderful submersible glider in No Time To Die. That definitely felt like Eon loosening up a little and allowing a welcome splash of the hyperreal in Bond's world again.
  • edited August 31 Posts: 3,256
    Monorailer wrote: »
    submersible glider in No Time To Die.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't that all CGI?