Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    edited September 6 Posts: 526
    Ominous. That will make Barbara put a speed demon on it.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Will it be good?
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Mark my words, if Bond 26 won't be released before late 2027, then it will be the final Bond film by EON Productions.

A few years ago, we were told by another member to "mark my words, NTTD will never be released". Color me unimpressed with the doomsday warnings.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    👍
  • edited September 6 Posts: 3,824
    Mark my words - Sheriff JW Pepper will make his long awaited and glorious return to the Bond franchise…. But not before Bond 29.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    Mark my words, David Arnold will be the next Bond. Hans Zimmer as the main villain...maybe Blofeld and Thomas Newman as M B-)
    Mark my words, David Arnold will be the next Bond. Hans Zimmer as the main villain...maybe Blofeld and Thomas Newman as M B-)

I wish David Arnold would come back to score the new Bond.

I wish David Arnold would come back to score the new Bond.

Oh, same here. But it's more like would EON want him back? I hope they do, though. One can only imagine how good a more modern Arnold Bond score would sound like now.
    007HallY wrote: »
    Mark my words - Sheriff JW Pepper will make his long awaited and glorious return to the Bond franchise…. But not before Bond 29.

And Bond 29 will be released in 2035. Because 9 - 2 = 7 and 35 = 5 x 7 and the two means nothing and something about Barbara Broccoli.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    DarthDimi wrote: »

And Bond 29 will be released in 2035. Because 9 - 2 = 7 and 35 = 5 x 7 and the two means nothing and something about Barbara Broccoli.

That's quite mathematical you've done in there.....😎
    edited September 7 Posts: 1,921

Lol! This is becoming fun :D I wonder if there's a "Mark My Words" thread :D
    Mark my words... the reason for including 'We Have All the Time in the World' in NTTD' is because it's a hidden message. They knew they wanted all the time in the world to do the next one and for Craig to grow old so he can return as Bond's long lost great uncle.
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Mark my words... the reason for including 'We Have All the Time in the World' in NTTD' is because it's a hidden message. They knew they wanted all the time in the world to do the next one and for Craig to grow old so he can return as Bond's long lost great uncle.

A la Kincaide????
  • DarthDimi wrote: »
    Mark my words, if Bond 26 won't be released before late 2027, then it will be the final Bond film by EON Productions.

A few years ago, we were told by another member to "mark my words, NTTD will never be released". Color me unimpressed with the doomsday warnings.

It's not a doomsday warning. Quite the opposite. After EON's final Bond film, a great new era of cinematic Bond will begin.
    Not a bad title for the new Bond
    'MARK MY WORDS!' 😁
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Not a bad title for the new Bond
    'MARK MY WORDS!' 😁

Lolzz! Yeah...and if Bond 26 were an 80s or 90s Bond film, its trailer would have end with the voice over saying "He's got you marked, so mark his words" :D
  • edited September 7 Posts: 3,824

It’s not hidden. You just have to play WHATTITW backwards and the prophecy is clearly stated… mark my words…

Anyway, spamming aside, I do wonder what the logic is for this being EON’s last Bond film. The late 2027 prediction isn’t exactly groundbreaking (that’s the most likely outcome).

It's not a doomsday warning. Quite the opposite. After EON's final Bond film, a great new era of cinematic Bond will begin.

You mean when, if Bond departs from EON, the series falls into the hands of people whose love for money vastly outweighs their love for Bond? When, as with Disney SW, it's about putting out as much product in as short an amount of time as our wallets and life schedules can(not) handle? Because that appeal is entirely lost on me.

Why separate the child from its parents and expect a golden era? It's a logic I cannot follow.

It’s not hidden. You just have to play WHATTITW backwards and the prophecy is clearly stated… mark my words…

How did you know that WHATTITW was at some way, done by The Beatles in the late 60s? 😅

You mean when, if Bond departs from EON, the series falls into the hands of people whose love for money vastly outweighs their love for Bond? When, as with Disney SW, it's about putting out as much product in as short an amount of time as our wallets and life schedules can(not) handle? Because that appeal is entirely lost on me.

Why separate the child from its parents and expect a golden era? It's a logic I cannot follow.

Yeah. I wonder if Barbara's daughter, Angelica Zollo would be paired with Gregg Wilson soon. So in future, they help Barbara and Michael, when they're too old...so James Bond remains safe with EON.

Someone has to make Bond movies.
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

How did you know that WHATTITW was at some way, done by The Beatles in the late 60s? 😅

Because Paul McCartney and George Martin did the soundtrack of LALD. Therefore the secret message is very much there, and therefore Bond 26 will in fact not be released in late 2027. Instead they'll skip straight to Bond 27. Mark my words.

Yeah. I wonder if Barbara's daughter, Angelica Zollo would be paired with Gregg Wilson soon. So in future, they help Barbara and Michael, when they're too old...so James Bond remains safe with EON.

It seems Gregg Wilson is the most involved in the Bond franchise (he's worked as an executive proper on the reality show and he seems very hands on with the game) so I suspect he'll be the one to slowly assume responsibilities. I think the others have had various but more low key involvement with the franchise, and Zollo seems to be doing her own thing.

It seems in the short term (at least) it'll stay with EON. Even if it isn't quite a family business further down the line the franchise will still likely be owned by EON (although I'd hope at least Greg/whoever's ultimately in charge would try to keep as much of that 'independent film studio that happens to be worth millions' vibe as possible).
    Yeah, looks that way @007HallY Things would go well for James Bond. Also, true about Zollo being an indie filmmaker and it appears she's enjoying it. Yeah, seems Gregg is the James Bond one. Oh, I forgot...Mark My Words! B-)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited September 7 Posts: 6,179

I agree. I do wonder what happens if Bond passes from the second to third generation, say, in 20 years when Barbara retires. The third generation is usually where the entire enterprise falls apart.

While I'm aware of the looming public domain, no rogue film will be able to compete with the things that won't be in the public domain: the theme, the gunbarrel, etc. At best--and remember, they had Connery--we will get another NSNA.

And any rogue film will be deterred by litigation if they use elements created by Eon (the white cat, an irascible Q, possibly "shaken not stirred"?). Does any true fan want a faithful adaptation of CR without any of those elements? I am not sure.

Sounds like a lot of litigation coming.
    There does seem to be a particular effort to keep this franchise with EON from what we've seen recently. Again, having that level of involvement with the game/reality show wasn't necessarily something we saw in the past. I know some people here don't have any interest in either, and fair enough, but it doesn't point to a company or even franchise in hibernation.

I suspect (and hope) the last thing they want is a Star Wars situation.
    echo wrote: »

I agree. I do wonder what happens if Bond passes from the second to third generation, say, in 20 years when Barbara retires. The third generation is usually where the entire enterprise falls apart.

While I'm aware of the looming public domain, no rogue film will be able to compete with the things that won't be in the public domain: the theme, the gunbarrel, etc. At best--and they had Connery--we will get another NSNA.

And any rogue film will be deterred by litigation if they use elements created by Eon (the white cat, an irascible Q). Sounds like a lot of litigation coming.

We're already seeing the effect of James Bond in the public domain in Canada and Japan. Seems to amount to some questionable fan fiction that's published/sold online and an all female stage adaptation of CR... personally I think they're oddities, but actually quite cool.

I can't see a rogue film taking on the EON Bond films (it'd be a pointless endeavour for whoever's making the rogue film, and as you said they're limited in what they can use in terms of iconography). In theory we should already have such a rogue film.
    There does seem to be a particular effort to keep this franchise with EON from what we've seen recently. Again, having that level of involvement with the game/reality show wasn't necessarily something we saw in the past. I know some people here don't have any interest in either, and fair enough, but it doesn't point to a company or even franchise in hibernation.

I certainly hope so too.

While I'm aware of the looming public domain, no rogue film will be able to compete with the things that won't be in the public domain: the theme, the gunbarrel, etc. At best--and they had Connery--we will get another NSNA.

And any rogue film will be deterred by litigation if they use elements created by Eon (the white cat, an irascible Q). Sounds like a lot of litigation coming.

I'm not looking forward to a NSNA situation where it is called Bond, features Bond, but doesn't feel like Bond.
  • edited September 7 Posts: 3,254
    I'm not looking forward to a NSNA situation where it is called Bond, features Bond, but doesn't feel like Bond.
    Feel? Like how?

For NSNA would a gunbarrel sequence, a Maurice Binder-like title sequence, Shirley Bassey doing the song and a couple of Ken Adam-looking sets suffice? Or is there more to it?

• edited September 7 Posts: 1,179

I certainly hope so too.

Too late. We had that with NTTD. ;)
    I think the biggest issue with NSNA is that it's a rather flat Bond film without much sense of style to it. The closest it gets to feeling like an EON Bond film is probably the motorbike chase in my opinion. Even then there's something not quite right about it. I think if a similar chase had been in even one of the weaker EON Bond movie it would been far more interesting, likely with a better pace and more creative moments/ideas etc. Heck, you can see it in the PTS' of SF and NTTD.

Beyond the specific Bond elements, EON have perfected the cinematic Bond formula. It's that ability to create that sense of heightened reality, that mixture of tongue in cheek humour with genuine tension and spectacle. NSNA didn't quite understand how to do that in my opinion.
    I think "But my martini is still dry" is one of the best one-liners ever. The underwater sequence were great, the villain much better than many EON villains and the extensive fistfight at the clinic is brilliantly played out. But I too have issues with it of course.