Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    peter wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    The ironic thing as well is that getting Barbara and Michael fired will only make the process take even longer... if you want Bond 26 sooner, maybe don't consider cutting the head of the snake at the first hurdle?

Anyway, I also just want to highlight those comments we literally got from Jennifer Salke in an article today that state; "We have a good and close relationship with EON and Barbara and Michael. We are not looking to disrupt the way those wonderful films are made. For us, we are taking their lead." She also said “the global audience will be patient. We don’t want too much time between films, but we are not concerned at this point.”

The global audience will be patient?

Has she read MI6 lately?

Or the cranky boomer who writes Spy Command?

😂
    She didn't say 'Bond fans'... 😉😂
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The ironic thing as well is that getting Barbara and Michael fired will only make the process take even longer... if you want Bond 26 sooner, maybe don't consider cutting the head of the snake at the first hurdle?

Anyway, I also just want to highlight those comments we literally got from Jennifer Salke in an article today that state; "We have a good and close relationship with EON and Barbara and Michael. We are not looking to disrupt the way those wonderful films are made. For us, we are taking their lead." She also said “the global audience will be patient. We don’t want too much time between films, but we are not concerned at this point.”

Has she read MI6 lately?

😂
    She didn't say 'Bond fans'... 😉😂

True, lol
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited October 8 Posts: 40,919
    "Bond's audience will be patient" is a nothing statement anyway. What other choice does anyone have? Patience or impatience, the next era will begin when it begins.
    The general audience is not chomping at the bit for the next Bond film. When it shows up they will say "Hey, look it's a new Bond film playing this week, cool", buy their tickets and have a good time. The old Bond fans will be there right beside the general audience and a new generation of fans who will get hooked on 007. Win win for all parties involved.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 8 Posts: 1,963
    She said they've also discussed potential actors that she finds interesting. Doesn't that mean the actors aren't any of the types we've been discussing for years now? Since she said "Interesting". Seems they might pick an actor the media would malign again, but would later come to accept once the film is out.
    She said they've also discussed potential actors that she finds interesting. Doesn't that mean the actors aren't any of the types we've been discussing for years now? Since she said "interesting". Seems they might pick an actor the media would malign again, but would later come to accept once the film is out.

I'm not sure if they'd specifically keep an eye on who we discuss here so wouldn't know one way or the other. I guess they're aware of the big names being thrown around in the press though (including ATJ, Theo James etc).

I think it's more the idea that they have so many potential choices at this point (before they go into official casting that is). I'd find it hard to believe some of the actors we discuss here haven't been discussed by EON too, but it's possible there are surprises in there. I have no doubt the new actor will get some criticism initially though.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    007HallY wrote: »
    She said they've also discussed potential actors that she finds interesting. Doesn't that mean the actors aren't any of the types we've been discussing for years now? Since she said "Interesting". Seems they might pick an actor the media would malign again, but would later come to accept once the film is out.

I'm not sure if they'd specifically keep an eye on who we discuss here so wouldn't know one way or the other. I guess they're aware of the big names being thrown around in the press though (including ATJ, Theo James etc).

I think it's more the idea that they have so many potential choices at this point (before they go into official casting that is). I'd find it hard to believe some of the actors we discuss here haven't been discussed by EON too, but it's possible there are surprises in there. I have no doubt the new actor will get some criticism initially though.

Yeah. Just about. Seems that's the case.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I wish Bezos would start flexing his muscles on Barbara and get this train moving!

Well, perhaps email him? Suggest he put in blue contact lenses, wear a blond wig, strip down to a pair of blue trunks, and have him give her the marching orders. I’m sure the old bimbo would fall for that.

+1
    No news is Bond news.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    At least we have something to discuss. >:) :D
  • MartinBondMartinBond Trying not to muck it up again
    edited October 9 Posts: 859
    The angry mob that’d just love a chance to crucify “Barbara” and claim she’s too busy for Bond, or hates Bond, or doesn’t want to do another Bond film, gloss over little details like that @007HallY …! They’d much rather stay angry, lash out and spew their hated rather than see that things have been happening behind the scenes that we just aren’t privy to (which I assume riles them more, as they feel a sense of entitlement and want to hear every detail, YESTERDAY!!!).
    delfloria wrote: »
    The general audience is not chomping at the bit for the next Bond film. When it shows up they will say "Hey, look it's a new Bond film playing this week, cool", buy their tickets and have a good time. The old Bond fans will be there right beside the general audience and a new generation of fans who will get hooked on 007. Win win for all parties involved.

One thing I think they should be more aware of is that "James Bond? Isn't that for old people?" can becme a thing. I work with teenagers, and the amount that actually know Bond other than having heard the name in passing is probably about 5%.

Besides that, I think the "patient" comment can be a slightly dangerous one as well. After all, "patient" and "disinterested" look very similar from afar.

I agree with the sentiment that fans aren't entitled to news and every movement, but one could argue that keeping quiet and not making a single sound isn't very "chic" towards the people who, one way or another, pay for your other movie projects, musicals, houses and cars around the world...
  • edited October 9 Posts: 6,709
    MartinBond wrote: »

Besides that, I think the "patient" comment can be a slightly dangerous one as well. After all, "patient" and "disinterested" look very similar from afar.

I agree with the sentiment that fans aren't entitled to news and every movement, but one could argue that keeping quiet and not making a single sound isn't very "chic" towards the people who, one way or another, pay for your other movie projects, musicals, houses and cars around the world...

I absolutely agree with this. Been saying it for years.

As for the "old people thing", well it's not about catering to younger demographics. It's just about having it made while they are still indeed young. Again, all young people need something to look up to, some view into adulthood. If we cater to them by only feeding them their own younger themes and thematics, they will not grow, not one bit. And current psychological analysis of child development is showing this. It's rather worrisome.
    Yes, Bond being for older people is an issue. That people see it as a dad movie is a problem if dads no longer go to the movies.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Again, the game should change that… provided it is a hit.
  • edited October 9 Posts: 3,985
    I’m not sure how disinterested across the board teens are in Bond (I suspect there’s truth in the idea that the younger ones below 16 aren’t its biggest audiences, but I’ve seen much more interest in Craig’s Bond than in, say, Mission Impossible with 17-21 year olds, and I think that gap in the latter franchise is actually a reason why the latest film really underperformed).

If anything it could be a plus. You have more or less a clean slate with current under 16 year olds (who’ll be older by the time Bond 26 rolls around). Make a great Bond film and generate excitement for it and they’ll come.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited October 9 Posts: 1,630
    Late to this but re: Aston Martin sticking around in future Bond movies, it's almost guaranteed. Something remarkable would have to happen to interrupt that legacy now. This is based on my personal chat with the lead designer and CEO of Aston Martin last year. This was the same day Jeffrey Wright showed up to the venue I was at, and Aston's boss joked to me that he was there as a spy for Eon. I think Aston is sticking, for better or worse.
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    edited October 9 Posts: 8,160

Has she read MI6 lately?

😂

I sorta get where boomers are coming from. The oldest of that generation are pushing 80, so they’re very conscious of the fact that they only have a few films to be able to see before knocking on death’s door. They’d be lucky to see the complete run of the next actor playing Bond. Then there’s those worried NTTD may be the last they see of Bond, which features him dying, again reminding them of their own mortality when they just want good old escapism.

We’re now at a point where we’re seeing the first generation of fans passing away. I see this a lot with Star Trek fans selling off merch before they pass, same with Bond. It’s a real bummer, so I can empathize with those feeling bitter, especially after seeing their childhood hero die right before their eyes.

I’d wish for more folks to try adopting a positive mental attitude, but if wishes were horses…
    Oh, I think the older fans are already retired.

That's why we have so many Moore and Brosnan fans here.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Has she read MI6 lately?

😂

I sorta get where boomers are coming from. The oldest of that generation are pushing 80, so they’re very conscious of the fact that they only have a few films to be able to see before knocking on death’s door. They’d be lucky to see the complete run of the next actor playing Bond. Then there’s those worried NTTD may be the last they see of Bond, which features him dying, again reminding them of their own mortality when they just want good old escapism.

We’re now at a point where we’re seeing the first generation of fans passing away. I see this a lot with Star Trek fans selling off merch before they pass, same with Bond. It’s a real bummer, so I can empathize with those feeling bitter, especially after seeing their childhood hero die right before their eyes.

I’d wish for more folks to try adopting a positive mental attitude, but if wishes were horses…

I hear you and empathize and sympathize.

But the cranky ones, like that Spy Command guy, sound like angry five year olds. These types begin to enjoy the war they’re waging as if EoN has personally started this battle with them. Any sympathy and empathy I have for these types dies with each article they post.

It’s always been my impression that Moore fans tend to be GenXers and Brosnan fans Millennials, as those were the Bonds that were active in their childhood. One of my co-workers is in his 50s and thinks Craig is the best actor as Bond, but he cannot deny his favorite will always be Moore as he’ll always be near and dear to his heart, a sentiment I’ve seen shared by more than a few.

Has she read MI6 lately?

😂

But the cranky ones, like that Spy Command guy, sound like angry five year olds. These types begin to enjoy the war they’re waging as if EoN has personally started this battle with them. Any sympathy and empathy I have for these types dies with each article they post.

I’m on the Facebook group for Spy Command, which seems to be a place for boomers to reminisce about 60s spymania. It’s definitely become grouchy in recent years.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited October 9 Posts: 9,423

It’s always been my impression that Moore fans tend to be GenXers and Brosnan fans Millennials, as those were the Bonds that were active in their childhood. One of my co-workers is in his 50s and thinks Craig is the best actor as Bond, but he cannot deny his favorite will always be Moore as he’ll always be near and dear to his heart, a sentiment I’ve seen shared by more than a few.

Has she read MI6 lately?

😂

I’m on the Facebook group for Spy Command, which seems to be a place for boomers to reminisce about 60s spymania. It’s definitely become grouchy in recent years.

My father was an original fan. My father in law is an original fan. Happily and thankfully, they haven’t behaved badly and it gives me faith that these fans and this particular generation don’t have to be tantrum-throwing children. It’s just another bad bunch who’ve found their echo chambers (and lather themselves up in their muck).

These grouchy pants could put in a better effort, they’ve chosen not to.
    To be brutally honest, James Page isn’t helping either. If that warrants me a ban, so be it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    To be brutally honest, James Page isn’t helping either. If that warrants me a ban, so be it.

Who is James Page? I'm not sure who this person is?
  • peter wrote: »

I believe one of the founders of MI6-HQ if I’m not mistaken.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I believe one of the founders of MI6-HQ if I’m not mistaken.

Ahhh, yes, I've heard those guys on podcasts before and they seem to passive-aggressively go after EoN and Craig.

I don't get it. I don't get this attitude. Once again, do I think EoN is perfect? Nope. Was Cubby some kind of god? Nope, he treated Connery like crap and had a few out there suggestions. Is Broccoli and modern day EoN perfect? Nope. Do I adore all of their films and choices? Not at all, but they make wayyyyyy more correct choices, than they do poor ones.

I love the entire series, warts and all. The first six films are magic. And every era has very high-highs, especially when compared to their so-called lows (which still have value in them!)

EoN provides consistent and quality entertainment from the very beginning, to now...And they really do know what they're doing, and far more than any James Page, or Spy Command, or me, or anyone... for good or bad, these are the best people and they know the very tricky ins and outs of making huge, worldwide, tentpole films.
  • edited October 9 Posts: 3,985
    To each their own. But I can’t imagine what it’d be like to hate large chunks of a series I claim to be a fan of (and keep in mind I and pretty much everyone on these forums have our criticisms of some of these films). Even if it were the case, the beauty of Bond is it keeps going.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    007HallY wrote: »
    To each their own. But I can’t imagine what it’d be like to hate large chunks of a series I claim to be a fan of (and keep in mind I and pretty much everyone on these forums have our criticisms of some of these films). Even if it were the case, the beauty of Bond is it keeps going.

I hear you on that @007HallY ... I mean, I've been a fan of film series before, or bands, or tv series, or whatever, that I'm no longer a fan of... But I can always discuss why I was a fan, and why I'm no longer one... But never would I consider myself a present-day fan, if I've disliked such huge percentage of a series. It makes no sense. It's almost like, if I did do that, then I'm just thinly disuising that I actually like being a miserable old coot (I'm a fan, but I still hate the last twenty-five years of films; these producers are terrible, and I don't expect another good film from them, etc., etc).

I have said this time and again: I wasn't a fan of the Brosnan era, but I didn't fault the films. These were the stories and the movies that were popular at that time. The producers were correct on following this path, and I knew that this era just wasn't made for me (not that I still don't see value in these films, but as a whole, they just didn't agree with who I was at that time, and I still haven't fully embraced them. Sucksfor me, but was right for the series to keep moving forward!).
    I was a huge fan of the show SMALLVILLE, but at a certain point there were choices and a direction made that made me no longer enamored with the show. I stopped watching, not by choice, but rather because I forgot to catch the episodes as they aired. When I realized that, I didn’t miss it. It went onto do four more seasons, but I never stuck around to keep watching or participate in discussion forums. I had other interests worth my time. The idea of investing so much time on something you fell out of love with just sounds… wasteful.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I was a huge fan of the show SMALLVILLE, but at a certain point there were choices and a direction made that made me no longer enamored with the show. I stopped watching, not by choice, but rather because I forgot to catch the episodes as they aired. When I realized that, I didn’t miss it. It went onto do four more seasons, but I never stuck around to keep watching or participate in discussion forums. I had other interests worth my time. The idea of investing so much time on something you fell out of love with just sounds… wasteful.

Absolutely agree @MakeshiftPython ... Either some of these people enjoy being miserable and it gives them some kind of purpose, or they just can't give up Bond (like being unable to give up a first love: eventually your affections grow a little twisted; better to let things go and move on. Life has a lot to offer).