Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• I think the irony is Connery himself later came out and sort of walked back on the claims he made in that Barbara Walter’s interview; saying something along the lines of “Nobody should lay their hands on any woman.”

I mean he should’ve adopted that position from the beginning but better late than never I guess…
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Love Connery the movie star, but that’s a pretty appalling thing for him to say as a human being.

Yep.
    This furthers "Where Does Bond Go After Craig" how?

• peterpeter Toronto
    CrabKey wrote: »

Has anything that you have said? Me? Or anyone else for quite a number of pages (between brief sparks)? 😂
    I am referring to all the posts to stop being negative.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I am referring to all the posts to stop being negative.

So pretty much all of them (between sparks)?
    Not following what you are saying. I don't know what between sparks in brackets means. Connery is long gone. I don't understand the purpose of bringing this up again.
  • I will say that I found it to be incredibly distasteful seeing people on Twitter dogpile on Connery the day of his passing. I remember feeling a bit enraged at seeing Twitter users (most of whom were not shining examples of morality themselves) saying the harshest things possible about the man out of some sense of “moral superiority” knowing damn well none of them would’ve said anything in his presence.

It just wasn’t the type of thing I wanted to see that day; the Bond fandom was already grieving enough and to see posts like that was another blow.
    If I have to give Barbara Broccoli any criticism, it would be that I wish she gave a more transparent answer to what’s going on with Bond. For example, if she feels she needs to take a break from Bond before kickstarting a new run, just say that. “We’re taking a hiatus to recharge our batteries before committing to a new era for Bond”. Fair enough! Eon is not obligated to make five films a decade. They can take their time, I’ve said since NTTD that I’m super patient.

My attitude would be a little different if this were happening within an actor’s run. Say BOND 26 comes out, three years pass and there’s no talk of what’s next, and it’s looking like it’ll be six years between an actor’s debut and a second installment. That would be concerning. Even with the gap between SF and NTTD, we were already getting news of a Bond 25 in 2017 with Craig confirming it’s his final film and the deal with Universal, then the 2019 release date announcement.

this is good point im fine with a 2027 release as long if its good.
    I will say that I found it to be incredibly distasteful seeing people on Twitter dogpile on Connery the day of his passing. I remember feeling a bit enraged at seeing Twitter users (most of whom were not shining examples of morality themselves) saying the harshest things possible about the man out of some sense of “moral superiority” knowing damn well none of them would’ve said anything in his presence.

It just wasn’t the type of thing I wanted to see that day; the Bond fandom was already grieving enough and to see posts like that was another blow.

yeah that made me upset he is my favorite bond
  • edited October 12 Posts: 16,131
    I think the irony is Connery himself later came out and sort of walked back on the claims he made in that Barbara Walter’s interview; saying something along the lines of “Nobody should lay their hands on any woman.”

I mean he should’ve adopted that position from the beginning but better late than never I guess…

Well, Walters also said in a re-airing of that interview that Connery really wouldn't harm a fly.
    The are different edits of that interview and tend to be edited slightly out of context. He's basically saying some women thrive on pushing men to that level and therefore deserve what they get. He also outright said he never hits his wife. I think people like to ignore that and just focus on sensationalized negativity.

Barbara Walters certainly liked to needle celebrities in her interviews and push their buttons.
    If she were interviewing me, I'd like to think I'd come up with something even more obnoxious to say just to annoy her. :D

I will say that I found it to be incredibly distasteful seeing people on Twitter dogpile on Connery the day of his passing. I remember feeling a bit enraged at seeing Twitter users (most of whom were not shining examples of morality themselves) saying the harshest things possible about the man out of some sense of “moral superiority” knowing damn well none of them would’ve said anything in his presence.

Precisely. it bothered me, too. Bothers me still. People like to get on their high horse with their hypocritical judgments without any actual research to back them.

Not even remotely (in my best Craig voice).

However, getting back to B26 I was glad we had some acknowledgment of the franchise by Amazon this week.
    I can't wait for the next chapter "Goldfinger is overrated" ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Putting the Connery thing in perspective:

A poster had made a comment of his problematic history with women.

Another poster asked for further explanation.

The original poster backed up his claim with the infamous Walter’s interview.

I don’t think @echo was getting on his high horse about anything.

And by Connery’s own words, he had a very “grounded” “opinion” when it came to hitting women.

His first wife also wrote about the abuse she received at his hand in her autobiography.

Nobody said anything about Connery being overrated (deke), and Connery wouldn’t be the first great movie star who may not have exactly have been the nicest person in real life.

And as for sticking to the subject of this thread, everyone, from myself, to Crabkey and many others have veered wildly off course from this specific discussion because, well, we’ve pretty much exhausted the subject and it’d only be natural to head into other territory, once in a while, in a time when there’s really no news, unless we should all go back to ATJ shooting the gun barrel scenes and having his suits already measured as his lawyers hash-out a four picture deal with EoN?

peter wrote: »

And by Connery’s own words, he had a very “grounded” “opinion” when it came to hitting women.

His first wife also wrote about the abuse she received at his hand in her autobiography.

Nobody said anything about Connery being overrated (deke), and Connery wouldn’t be the first great movie star who may not have exactly have been the nicest person in real life.

And as for sticking to the subject of this thread, everyone, from myself, to Crabkey and many others have veered wildly off course from this specific discussion because, well, we’ve pretty much exhausted the subject and it’d only be natural to head into other territory, once in a while, in a time when there’s really no news, unless we should all go back to ATJ shooting the gun barrel scenes and having his suits already measured as his lawyers hash-out a four picture deal with EoN?

My comment was referring to Twitter (and Facebook) users on the day of Connery's passing, rather than singling out any members on here.
    Perhaps it does seem like we'e exhausted the subject of B26 and where to take ther series after Craig?
    By the time we get official news on the next film, we may double the number of pages in this thread from where it is now. :D
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ToTheRight wrote: »

My comment was referring to Twitter (and Facebook) users on the day of Connery's passing, rather than singling out any members on here.
    Perhaps it does seem like we'e exhausted the subject of B26 and where to take ther series after Craig?
    By the time we get official news on the next film, we may double the number of pages in this thread from where it is now. :D

I hear you @ToTheRight and, although a few have made efforts to derail other conversations with provocations, and others seem offended by certain topics that don’t relate to the thread (although they’ve been guilty of discussing other topics), I quite like reading what the other members have to say— whether it specifically applies to the subject of the thread or not. Most are just looking for conversation without controversy.

What @echo brought up in passing shouldn’t have created a stir. After all, two things can be true at the same time (Connery may not have been a woman’s best friend, but he was one of the brightest film stars for most of his working career; Polanski is scum and a rapist of an underage girl, but was an artist of a great many films; Picasso was a misogynist anti-Semite who was/is one of the greatest artists ever).

Most just want to have a conversation without conflict, and I hope it continues.
  • edited October 12 Posts: 16,131
    I hope the conversation continues as well, @peter. Plenty of good ideas are brought up here on where to take Bond. This thread is enormously fun to read, on topic or not. :)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I totally agree with you @ToTheRight . Totally agree. Lots of smart and creative people on here. It’s fantastic.

I know at times we can all butt heads and get on each others nerves, but in the end, most issues resolve quickly and with little to no bruising!

And I always get great enjoyment from reading your thorough posts on The award winning Bond comments while you watch. You’re a fun member. And a passionate fan. Your listings of the films shift and I always get a kick out of reading what’s sliding up or down in your rankings.

Thanks @ToTheRight — you’re a good person!!
    I totally agree with you @ToTheRight . Totally agree. Lots of smart and creative people on here. It’s fantastic.

I know at times we can all butt heads and get on each others nerves, but in the end, most issues resolve quickly and with little to no bruising!

And I always get great enjoyment from reading your thorough posts on The award winning Bond comments while you watch. You’re a fun member. And a passionate fan. Your listings of the films shift and I always get a kick out of reading what’s sliding up or down in your rankings.

Thanks @ToTheRight — you’re a good person!!

Hahaha! They do at that. Thank you, @peter. I very much enjoy your posts as well.
    I'm overdue to re-rank again, and post on the Award Winning Bond Comments While You Watch thread. Life''s been rather busy for me. Just got my honeymoon vacation planned with my fiancee. I'm very fortunate she loves Bond.
    Thanks again for the kind words. Put a smile on my face. :)
    Part of the blame for the long gestation period this time around is that the entire industry has changed. Some fellow crew members and myself were talking recently about how we used to get an assignment, agree on what had to be created and then.................we would just go off and create what was needed. No constant memos or texts, no meetings or notes from/with studio execs, no daily updates, etc. We might have a producer like Katzenberg drop by and say "Just checking in to see the progress" and then we would get back to it. The pre production and production systems, behind the scenes just work much, much slower these days.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    delfloria wrote: »
    Part of the blame for the long gestation period this time around is that the entire industry has changed. Some fellow crew members and myself were talking recently about how we used to get an assignment, agree on what had to be created and then.................we would just go off and create what was needed. No constant memos or texts, no meetings or notes from/with studio execs, no daily updates, etc. We might have a producer like Katzenberg drop by and say "Just checking in to see the progress" and then we would get back to it. The pre production and production systems, behind the scenes just work much, much slower these days.

I guess bureaucracy is as big a problem in the filmmaking business as it is almost everywhere else. I can imagine a Bond production, for example, to be an administrative nightmare, with various levels of control exercised over almost every single department, numbing creativity and necessitating daunting paperwork instead. Not to mention all the logistics and such of getting a film made in the first place, negotiating all the distribution and whatnot contracts, and so forth. And yes, the "suits" interfering midway production or post-production with everything (cut this, change that, new writer, director fired, less budget, release dates moved, alter the tone, ...) aren't helping either. I'm not a part of the business myself, but I can sympathize with the real talented people, who simply want to tell a bloody good story, and find themselves dealing with pencil pushers, business people, and so on.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 12 Posts: 5,967
    This is another reason why I think EON need to, and should, keep James Bond, because I feel in other hands, the franchise would become another "victim" to the current state of franchise filmmaking.

• I’ve heard a rumour that EON have narrowed down a list of 100 potential directors so we should get some news in the next 5 years.

I think it is fair to ask how long of a break does BB need to recharge? Before anyone wigs out, "as long she wants" is a fair answer. I completely understand recharging. It comes with the territory of creative output.

Stepping away from Bond for a while makes more sense to me than six years after the NTTD script was finished, "we don't know where Bond is going."

Is it possible the producers do know where Bond 26 is going, but other factors are at play?

I ask because it's hard for me to imagine EON isn't sure about the next Bond. Craig pitched killing off Bond as early as 2006 and BB agreed. By the time that idea made it into the final script in 2018, no one was caught off guard. Bond was dead. Clean slate.
    Now six years have passed. Even if BB herself has been too busy to think about Bond 26, there are surely people in the EON organization who have been thinking about Bond 26 from the moment Bond's fate was sealed on the page.

How much has the industry changed since COVID and the release of NTTD? What role does or will Amazon play in the future of Bond? Is it possible the reinvention really hasn't been worked out? Is there a real fear that a Bond film might not to be a success? Is it possible the next Bond film might be a multi-part Amazon series? Can a Bond film exist outside of the traditional cinema system?

From the beginning, my love of the Bond films was the cinema experience. The darkened theater, the blaring music, the larger than life aspect of those early films. Admittedly, age and changes have altered those experiences a bit. I still prefer the hard driving opening song to get the blood pumping. Last time that happened was YKMN. Not a fan of the slow ballads. I fear the demise of the big screen.

For those of you who work in the film industry, how real is the possibility of the local cinema industry shutting down? Can you share your thoughts on the direction of the film industry?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    To the Canuckle-Heads on the forum: Happy Thanksgiving…! Enjoy the weekend, and depending on where you are in Canada, the weather is starting to change 🥶….
  • MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    If 2027 comes and there’s still no news, that’s when I’ll start to feel a bit more than anxious for Bond’s return.
    On my walk listening to my music, up pops an instrumental version of YKMN. Does that tune get the blood pumping or what? So in thinking where Bond 26 goes, YKMN is so iconic, I would love the next series of Bond films to incorporate riffs from that song into upcoming films. Use it as the Bond theme is used and as 007 used to be. It was barely referenced in CR. It needs more life. You can see Bond tearing off in his Aston and an instrumental version of that song plays. I don't see that as a nod to or recalling Craig. It's just a great Bond song that can be revisited.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited October 14 Posts: 1,963
    On my walk listening to my music, up pops an instrumental version of YKMN. Does that tune get the blood pumping or what? So in thinking where Bond 26 goes, YKMN is so iconic, I would love the next series of Bond films to incorporate riffs from that song into upcoming films. Use it as the Bond theme is used and as 007 used to be. It was barely referenced in CR. It needs more life. You can see Bond tearing off in his Aston and an instrumental version of that song plays. I don't see that as a nod to or recalling Craig. It's just a great Bond song that can be revisited.

Better make that two. At some point, I was even thinking it's the new alternate Bond theme that was going to be used in all the films in Craig's Bond era and beyond. Funnily enough, I don't think Arnold really used it in CR that much. I think if it's going to used in Bond 7's era, it should be in his 3rd film...when he has already established himself and is very comfortable in the role. I play YKMN frequently. It's that good a Bond theme.
    If Bond 26 had a big, bold rock song as its title tune I’d be ok with that. It’s a bit of an obvious choice but I can imagine someone like Hozier doing it. I’m sure there are loads of other weird and wonderful choices though.
    A rock song in 2027? Do young people still like it?
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    A rock song in 2027? Do young people still like it?

I fear we'll get one of these new hybrid country sounds, that mix like rap, rock, and country like Taylor Swift or Post Malone. It terrifies me.