'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Somewhere, Chris Chibnall is breathing a sigh of relief...

I thought that a few days ago, I may have been too harsh on Chibnal.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 24 Posts: 16,000
    My RTD series ranking...

S1
    S2
    S3
    S4
    S1 Reboot even though it constantly references past DW, which makes no sense.

The Waters of Mars was one of his best though obviously a special.

I think I would go:

S1
    S4
    S1(new)
    S3
    S2

It's tricky to compare series for me though: even something like S3 which I think is generally weak has something like Blink in it. The Moffat years were my favourite really.

Why? He's generally regarded as terrible.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    mtm wrote: »
    My RTD series ranking...

S1
    S2
    S3
    S4
    S1 Reboot even though it constantly references past DW, which makes no sense.

The Waters of Mars was one of his best though obviously a special.

I think I would go:

S1
    S4
    S1(new)
    S3
    S2

It's tricky to compare series for me though: even something like S3 which I think is generally weak has something like Blink in it. The Moffat years were my favourite really.

I felt Moffats episodes were the best during the RTD era. Midnight was superb by RTD, Dalek is one of my favorite episodes from that era also.
    edited June 24 Posts: 24,689
    The Flux had two really good episodes, I need to rewatch that mini series.
    How can Amy lose faith in the Doctor, powerful.

The God Complex
    amazing episode great acting, so much sub text and very little exposition great writing. The ending is phenomenal it hits your heart.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I thought they were all dreadful I'm afraid. I'm glad it has improved again.

It is relative at this point, compared to the last series The Sontarans and Weeping Angels episodes from The Flux seem appealing.

---

Any episode with Craig in is the lowest of the low.
    Impossible Astronaut watching this for the hundredth time, I am excited and smiling at every character interaction and nothing has happened yet... I wonder why?
    Character development!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

It is relative at this point, compared to the last series The Sontarans and Weeping Angels episodes from The Flux seem appealing.

---

No not really. I liked the idea of the Doctor turning into an Angel, that was a great cliffhanger, but it went nowhere.

I can’t think who Craig is…?

---

No not really. I liked the idea of the Doctor turning into an Angel, that was a great cliffhanger, but it went nowhere.

I can’t think who Craig is…?

I said relative, I would take The Flux episodes over what we just got in the finale, that was terrible.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I know it’s relative, but Flux is still worse relatively. I will watch Empire of Death again at some point as it was energetic and fun even if not an episode I connected with hugely, Flux was just increasingly random scenes thrown together until my patience ran out. No characters, no logic, no fun.

Genuinely, who is Craig? Is that a character?
    Impossible Astronaut is a masterpiece when you listen to the Doctors throw away and intended dialogue, the way the Doctor challenges emotional bonds. World class writing.

The writing subtle foreshadowing the whole series.

Matt Smith is one of the very best actors who played Doctor Who.

This episode is incredible knowing all the elements involved and the Doctor pushing the boundaries, and us as an audience constantly hearing the Silence sound effect on the Tardis.

The Doctor is so erratic I love it, the Doctor is on a completely different plane of thinking.

GOOD WRITING
    Matt Smith's range is incredible, rewatch his era.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 25 Posts: 16,000
    Did you mean another name when you said Craig or something? It doesn’t matter if you did. I'm not trying to catch you out or anything, just curious what you mean.

EDIT: Oh, is it James Corden's character?
    Did you mean another name when you said Craig or something? It doesn’t matter if you did. I'm not trying to catch you out or anything, just curious what you mean.

That's right James Corden, I am not a fan.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 25 Posts: 13,978

Same here. I have not been able to stand him, long before it became public what an absolute tool that he is.

R2TD2 might be worse....
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 25 Posts: 16,000

I despise him as himself, but I must say I think he's a good actor. I remember The Lodger as being lots of fun, haven't watched it in years. But I love The Silence, shame they couldn't really be used much more.

Same here. I have not been able to stand him, long before it became public what an absolute tool that he is.

R2TD2 might be worse....

No. Chibnall demonstrated a total lack of ability for character, plot, excitement, everything. It was quite bizarre. RTD is much better, thankfully. He even took a (dreadful) plot element of Chibnall's, the Doctor learning he's orphaned, and turned it into a character beat, which Chibnall never managed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 25 Posts: 13,978

The melancholy coming off that trailer, hit me right me in the feels. :(

"But those days are fewer and fewer."
    Here's a better version of the panel from the previous page:

To celebrate the 25th year of Big Finish Doctor Who audio dramas, a theater play, titled The Stuff of Legend, will be shown on saturday september 14th 2024 at the Cadogan Hall in London. This play will see the Eighth Doctor (Paul McGann) and his companion Charley Pollard (India Fisher) confronts the Master (Ales Macqueen) and the Daleks (voiced by Nicholas Briggs) around a cornish mine where strange things are happening :

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-the-stuff-of-legend-stage-play/

stuff-play.jpg
    I jst had a fangasm :

https://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-the-collection-season-25-limited-edition-packaging/

One of the absolute best season of Classic Who, featuring some of the absolute best episodes ever, season 25, will soon be available on Blu-Ray.

seson-25s.jpg

I really should look into picking up the series 24-26 boxsets.
    edited July 18 Posts: 24,689
    WhoCulture: Doctor Who Disney Deal In Doubt, Ncuti Gatwa Regeneration NEXT Year?!

The presenter makes some valid points, especially regarding the rest of New Who not being on Disney+, Season 1 being a muddled reboot but not a reboot was unwise and not the best way to attract a broader audience.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Been enjoying the latest series - my only criticism is 8 episodes is not enough! I thought Ruby's arc would be over, but we'll see more of her later. I hope the upcoming special is very Christmasy, like the amazing and magical A Christmas Carol.

Watching that 15th Doctor series again, and crushing on Millie this time. Ruby's a lot like Clara isn't she? I stopped about halfway through though as I was hanging for some classic Who. I started watching the original series many years ago for the first time, very slowly, and now I'm up to the 7th Doctor.

Picking up where I left off with Remembrance of the Daleks: McCoy is fun to watch - he does that magic trick where he suddenly looks up and reaches up to where he's looking, and a card appears in his hand. His calling card, which he leaves for the Daleks with a kiss, after powering off their time controller tech. If I made the Who props I'd be all over that question mark card (as well as the awesome double-barreled dinosaur stun gun from the Pertwee era).

Another great comedic performance as a Dalek passes by, where the Doctor just so happens to have to sneeze at that very moment, barely holding it in with a finger across the nostrils. At one point, there is a TV ad talking about a sci-fi show coming up, and stops short of a full name-drop with 'Doc-' before cutting to the next shot. Ace's baseball bat levels up, and how dare that bastard Sgt Smith break her heart. Toerag indeed.

Pamela Salem returns after the amazing Robots of Death, with maybe a little more to do this time? Can't remember. Meteoroids that look like scrunched up paper hurtle away from the screen during the credits. Not a bad episode at all.

On to The Happiness Patrol now, which I've heard a lot about. It's rather surreal, and reminds me of the standout Paradise Towers.
    Happiness Patrol was alright. I did see shades of Paradise Towers in that it was very surreal, a set isolated from the outside world, a female squad and memorable music. Love that harmonica! Fifi scampering through the pipes was hilarious, and Kandy Man's death was unsatisfying - the kill itself happening off-screen. "Gilberrrt!" Reminds me of Gilbert Grape's mum yelling out from the couch.

Now, from harp to sax: Silver Nemesis
  • edited July 27 Posts: 5,943

Funny thing : I stayed at that hotel the four times I've been in Cardiff. Yes, that Sandringham Hotel is not in London, but in St. Mary's Street, in Cardiff.

https://www.sandringham-hotel.com/

Oh, and there's that too :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/russell-tovey-gugu-mbatha-raw-war-between-land-and-sea-newsupdate/
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think that clip is lots of fun.
    QBranch wrote: »
    Happiness Patrol was alright. I did see shades of Paradise Towers in that it was very surreal, a set isolated from the outside world, a female squad and memorable music. Love that harmonica! Fifi scampering through the pipes was hilarious, and Kandy Man's death was unsatisfying - the kill itself happening off-screen. "Gilberrrt!" Reminds me of Gilbert Grape's mum yelling out from the couch.

Now, from harp to sax: Silver Nemesis

I loooove The Happiness Patrol. It's not as strong of a story as The Curse Of Fenric, or Remembrance Of The Daleks, and at face value, it wouldn't look out of place in series 24, but beneath the surface, it's a deeply melancholy story. And I love the Doctor turning the tables on the Census Taker. Also, the scene with the snipers, a prelude of the growing sense of mystery that will shroud the Doctor in the next series.

An unfairly hated story? Absolutely.
    @MajorDSmythe Yes, it was quite good. I think I tend to rate Who serials on how memorable they are and not the story's strength.

Silver Nemesis - love how one of the Cybermen falls from the platform and lands next to the TARDIS. Their ship landing up close was a cool effect. The statue was delightfully strange.

Loved The Greatest Show in the Galaxy. Some psychedelia in there, particularly the eye in the well and when the Doctor travels through the portal. I thought the latter moment was gonna go on forever, and I loved every second of it. The robot clowns were great, as were the Gods of Ragnarok and bus ticket robot. A serial I'll remember for a long time.

Been watching Battlefield. I recognize the actor playing Mordred, as Christopher Bowen, who played TND's Devonshire Commander Day. Here, he revels in his evil laugh.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes it's funny, for me it was the other way around- when I first saw TND I thought 'there's the guy from Battlefield' :)