'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

1157158159160161163»

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »
    @MajorDSmythe Yes, it was quite good. I think I tend to rate Who serials on how memorable they are and not the story's strength.

Silver Nemesis - love how one of the Cybermen falls from the platform and lands next to the TARDIS. Their ship landing up close was a cool effect. The statue was delightfully strange.

Loved The Greatest Show in the Galaxy. Some psychedelia in there, particularly the eye in the well and when the Doctor travels through the portal. I thought the latter moment was gonna go on forever, and I loved every second of it. The robot clowns were great, as were the Gods of Ragnarok and bus ticket robot. A serial I'll remember for a long time.

Been watching Battlefield. I recognize the actor playing Mordred, as Christopher Bowen, who played TND's Devonshire Commander Day. Here, he revels in his evil laugh.

On paper, Silver Nemesis should be an outright winner: my favourite Doctor meets my favourite monster. But.... it doesn't quite stick the landing. I think there is perhaps too much going on. Lose De Flores and his men (do they really add anything to the story?), and that would fix that issue. You would still have Lady Peinforte & Richard and The Cybermen, for the Doctor to face off against.

I had never realised that Christopher Bowen was in TND. I can see it now though. :))
    Yes, the last two seasons of McCoy were among the best the series had to offer, that's for sure.

Now, some news : For the seond (or is it third ? I guess it depends whether you want to count "Assignment : Earth" or not), Doctor Who and Star Trek will get a crossover, this time as a computer game, this time featuring the Tenth Doctor and the crew of the USS Ceritos (from Lower Decks. The pitch : A mysterious space-time ripple throws the Doctor into the Ceritos, while Boimler and Mariner land in the Doctor's universe. The Doctor will have to team up with the crew of the Ceritos, while Boimler and Mariner will team up with River Song.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-star-trek-crossover-newsupdate/

JULY26-72f5933db9-b77079a.jpg?quality=90&webp=true&resize=1000,667

Warning : it will run only for a limited time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Wow, well the Doctor as recently as Space Babies said that they must 'visit' them!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Quite sweet

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I think they went a little overboard with Classic Who in that trailer. :|
    You can't go overboard with classic Who, or Classic Trek for that matter.

Now, more serious : there will be one episode of series 2 of the new series you won't see on iPlayer, at least not until one scene is redubbed :

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-huw-edwards-fear-her-iplayer-newsupdate/

No comment.
    I received "The Celestial Toymaker" DVD set yesterday (!), and decided to watch it the same day. This is an episode which, like "The Web Planet" and "The Mind Robber", seems to have been written under the effects of some substances that might have been illegal. The Toymaker is a great villain, and if we don't see the Doctor much (William Hartnell was at the beginning of the arteriosclerosis that was to plague him for his last years), Steven and Dodo make up for it. It is to be noted that the animators of the missing episodes have decided to take advantage of what the animation allowed them to do. So instead of human beings disguised as clowns, playing cards and dolls, we get wooden and rag dolls, and playing cards folded so as to take a humanoid appearance. The effect takes a moment to click, but it works with the story. And the animation is better than when they last tried it (for the missing episode of "The Web of Fear", which gave me motion sickness). All in all, a good buy for fans.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Who-adjacent show Blakes 7 is coming out on Blu Ray and it looks like they've made a nice job of it: new effects on all episodes.