The Man from U.N.C.L.E.: original series & films

1697071727375»

Comments

• edited August 11 Posts: 17,662
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I got the recently re-released box set some months ago, and like @Dragonpol I'm also working my way through season one. Not sure if I have a standout favourite so far, as there are several great ones here. The Dove Affair is certainly up there – and The Vulcan Affair, of course.

Funnily enough The Dove Affair was the episode I chose to watch next last night as I noticed that it guest starred future Columbo guest star Eddie Albert. He was great in it as the revivalist villain Father Love. It was the religious cult mixed with the spy story such as we'd later see in Bond with John Gardner's Scorpius and no doubt countless other thriller stories. Of course the Love Crusade was a front for the dreaded THRUSH. The story did remind me slightly of the earlier episode The Shark Affair as both deal with collecting experts in various fields together as part of their plots. This one felt like a mini Bond adventure right down to the ending. I think this is my favourite episode I've seen so far. Recommended viewing.

You mean The Love Affair, surely? I haven't seen that one yet myself. The Dove Affair, which I now see is so similarly titled as you can get, is the episode featuring (also future Columbo guest star to be) Ricardo Montalban.

Looking especially forward to watching The Love Affair now that you've mentioned it. It's next up on my season 1 viewing, since I watched The Never-Never Affair earlier today.

Yes, sorry, my brain misread what you wrote as The Love Affair! That can sometimes happen, your eye replaces the initial letter and you read what you want to read. You're right the titles are very similar, hence my confusion in mixing them up. The Love Affair is quite an ironic title too as it world outside of the "Affair" suffix structure of the UNCLE episode titles.

Last night I was looking through the start of each episode to see who the main guest stars. There were a few I noticed featuring Columbo guest stars such as Anne Francis and Albert Paulsen. I noticed the one guest starring Ricardo Montalban so I'll have to watch that one next I think. I should really be watching them in order and I think I will return to that after this.

Easy mistake to make! Anne Francis interestingly makes two appearances as the same character in season 1, in The Quadripartite Affair and The Giuoco Piano Affair (as does Jill Ireland, David McCallum's wife at the time). Francis' character, Gervaise Ravel, is definitely one of the standout characters of the first season!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I got the recently re-released box set some months ago, and like @Dragonpol I'm also working my way through season one. Not sure if I have a standout favourite so far, as there are several great ones here. The Dove Affair is certainly up there – and The Vulcan Affair, of course.

Funnily enough The Dove Affair was the episode I chose to watch next last night as I noticed that it guest starred future Columbo guest star Eddie Albert. He was great in it as the revivalist villain Father Love. It was the religious cult mixed with the spy story such as we'd later see in Bond with John Gardner's Scorpius and no doubt countless other thriller stories. Of course the Love Crusade was a front for the dreaded THRUSH. The story did remind me slightly of the earlier episode The Shark Affair as both deal with collecting experts in various fields together as part of their plots. This one felt like a mini Bond adventure right down to the ending. I think this is my favourite episode I've seen so far. Recommended viewing.

You mean The Love Affair, surely? I haven't seen that one yet myself. The Dove Affair, which I now see is so similarly titled as you can get, is the episode featuring (also future Columbo guest star to be) Ricardo Montalban.

Looking especially forward to watching The Love Affair now that you've mentioned it. It's next up on my season 1 viewing, since I watched The Never-Never Affair earlier today.

Yes, sorry, my brain misread what you wrote as The Love Affair! That can sometimes happen, your eye replaces the initial letter and you read what you want to read. You're right the titles are very similar, hence my confusion in mixing them up. The Love Affair is quite an ironic title too as it world outside of the "Affair" suffix structure of the UNCLE episode titles.

Last night I was looking through the start of each episode to see who the main guest stars. There were a few I noticed featuring Columbo guest stars such as Anne Francis and Albert Paulsen. I noticed the one guest starring Ricardo Montalban so I'll have to watch that one next I think. I should really be watching them in order and I think I will return to that after this.

Easy mistake to make! Anne Francis interestingly makes two appearances as the same character in season 1, in The Quadripartite Affair and The Giuoco Piano Affair (as does Jill Ireland, David McCallum's wife at the time). Francis' character, Gervaise Ravel, is definitely one of the standout characters of the first season!

Yes, I've seen that first episode she was in. I knew she was in a later one too as that episode wasn't fully resolved by the end. It's also interesting to see her in a villainous role as her characters in Columbo were much more wholesome in nature, especially Nurse Sharon Martin in the episode A Stitch in Crime.
  • edited August 11 Posts: 1,845

Yes, sorry, my brain misread what you wrote as The Love Affair! That can sometimes happen, your eye replaces the initial letter and you read what you want to read rather than what is actually written. You're right that the titles are very similar, hence my confusion in mixing them up! The Love Affair is quite an ironic title too as it still works as an expression outside of the usual "Affair" suffix structure of the UNCLE episode titles.

Last night I was looking through the start of each episode to see who the main guest stars were. There were a few I noticed featuring future Columbo guest stars such as Anne Francis and Albert Paulsen. Interestingly, future Columbo guest star William Shatner also appears in an episode that also features future Star Trek co-star Leonard Nimoy. Of course Nimoy also later guest starred in Columbo as well. I noticed the one guest starring Ricardo Montalban so I'll have to watch that one next I think. I should really be watching them in order and I think I will return to that after this.

The Strigas Affair does feature Nimoy and Shatner in shared scenes, which is very amusing. Also it's very apparent that this episode is the blueprint for the entire Mission Impossible format. The Never Never Affair is considered to be one of the best episodes of the entire series.
    delfloria wrote: »

Yes, sorry, my brain misread what you wrote as The Love Affair! That can sometimes happen, your eye replaces the initial letter and you read what you want to read rather than what is actually written. You're right that the titles are very similar, hence my confusion in mixing them up! The Love Affair is quite an ironic title too as it still works as an expression outside of the usual "Affair" suffix structure of the UNCLE episode titles.

Last night I was looking through the start of each episode to see who the main guest stars were. There were a few I noticed featuring future Columbo guest stars such as Anne Francis and Albert Paulsen. Interestingly, future Columbo guest star William Shatner also appears in an episode that also features future Star Trek co-star Leonard Nimoy. Of course Nimoy also later guest starred in Columbo as well. I noticed the one guest starring Ricardo Montalban so I'll have to watch that one next I think. I should really be watching them in order and I think I will return to that after this.

The Strigas Affair does feature Nimoy and Shatner in shared scenes, which is very amusing. Also it's very apparent that this episode is the blueprint for the entire Mission Impossible format. The Never Never Affair is considered to be one of the best episodes of the entire series.

Thanks @delfloria. Watching Season 1 of The Man From UNCLE I'm reminded of where your username comes from. :)

Thanks @delfloria. Watching Season 1 of The Man From UNCLE I'm reminded of where your username comes from. :)

Yep.
  • edited August 12 Posts: 653
    The one I always think of and probably my favorite is “The Iowa-Scuba Affair” simply because some sleepy midwestern town is a hotbed of villains looking to overthrow a foreign government. Huge fan of Slim Pickens and seeing him as the criminal mastermind (lol) is a hoot. Basically a small town yokel who’s really a Commie sympathizer and has a bunch of henchmen working for him in trying to overthrow a foreign government. Also Katherine Crawford plays probably my favorite of the civilian helpers who help our 2 heroes. Love her naive small-town innocence and her infatuation with Solo who represents the big city and the finer things in life. She has some genuinely touching scenes with him and you can see that he’s affected by her innocence and shows genuine care for her. He’s not so flippant around her.
    The one I always think of and probably my favorite is “The Iowa-Scuba Affair” simply because some sleepy midwestern town is a hotbed of villains looking to overthrow a foreign government. Huge fan of Slim Pickens and seeing him as the criminal mastermind (lol) is a hoot. Basically a small town yokel who’s really a Commie sympathizer and has a bunch of henchmen working for him in trying to overthrow a foreign government. Also Katherine Crawford plays probably my favorite of the civilian helpers who help our 2 heroes. Love her naive small-town innocence and her infatuation with Solo who represents the big city and the finer things in life. She has some genuinely touching scenes with him and you can see that he’s affected by her innocence and shows genuine care for her. He’s not so flippant around her.

Iowa Scuba is top notch. Solo's use of the military jet to whisk back and forth is something the rest of the series could have used more. There is a lot to like here. "In Iowa?"

Yes, I've seen that first episode she was in. I knew she was in a later one too as that episode wasn't fully resolved by the end. It's also interesting to see her in a villainous role as her characters in Columbo were much more wholesome in nature, especially Nurse Sharon Martin in the episode A Stitch in Crime.

Indeed. I've only seen Anne Francis in Columbo, so seeing her in a villainous role was really fun.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Indeed. I've only seen Anne Francis in Columbo, so seeing her in a villainous role was really fun.

Having picked up the DVD a couple of years ago, I'm a huge fan of Anne in Honey West, in which she plays a PI with a male sidekick and a pet ocelot.

She makes for a great UNCLE villain in her two episodes in 1st season.

Yep.

Watching the opening of The Man From UNCLE it occurred to me that the faux dry cleaners may have went on to inspire the false fronts in the later Roger Moore Bond films in particular. Of course that was partly already there in Fleming with the British Secret Service working under the cover of Universal Exports in that building in Regents Park. Then there was the fake building sounds on a tape generated by Dikko Henderson in the YOLT novel.

Yep.

Watching the opening of The Man From UNCLE it occurred to me that the faux dry cleaners may have went on to inspire the false fronts in the later Roger Moore Bond films in particular. Of course that was partly already there in Fleming with the British Secret Service working under the cover of Universal Exports in that building in Regents Park. Then there was the fake building sounds on a tape generated by Dikko Henderson in the YOLT novel.

In the 60's Del Floria's tailor shop set the standard for fake spy fronts. Recently Kingsman gave it a nod by giving it's secret organization a tailor shop to enter through.

Yep.

In the 60's Del Floria's tailor shop set the standard for fake spy fronts. Recently Kingsman gave it a nod by giving it's secret organization a tailor shop to enter through.

Yes, that's what I thought. I think that must've been where the idea started in spy TV and films.
    Too bad the new Ian Fleming book does not include more on his involvement with UNCLE.
  • edited August 18 Posts: 17,662
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Having picked up the DVD a couple of years ago, I'm a huge fan of Anne in Honey West, in which she plays a PI with a male sidekick and a pet ocelot.

I've never seen that show! A few episodes popped up Youtube some years ago, but the quality was terrible. Maybe i twill turn up on a streaming service at some point.

Very much so. One of the most memorable characters from the episodes I've seen so far.
    Too bad the new Ian Fleming book does not include more on his involvement with UNCLE.

You mean Ian Fleming - The Complete Man? I'm reading that book right now, but I'm only halfway through.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

I've never seen that show! A few episodes popped up Youtube some years ago, but the quality was terrible. Maybe i twill turn up on a streaming service at some point.

Very much so. One of the most memorable characters from the episodes I've seen so far.

You mean Ian Fleming - The Complete Man? I'm reading that book right now, but I'm only halfway through.

Yep, They short shift Ian's involvement with UNCLE, a really glaring omission for people in the know. He even had a chance to view the finished pilot.