The Last Movie You Bought?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I've seen Mannix a long time ago, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, but from what I remember I liked it a lot. This is dating back as early as 2009/2010. But, it's on my list of marathons to do in the near future. The first two seasons are different from the rest, however, as they have a futuristic theme to it with computers, agencies and stuff, whereas the rest of the series become the traditional detective stories archetype.

Currently, I'm doing a marathon on Jack Lord's Hawaii Five-O, which is absolutely brilliant. No wonder the show was working splendidly and spawned 12 seasons, as Lord gave his heart and soul to the series. I think you'll especially love the pilot episode, Braders. It's spy-themed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    For some reason I thought you'd have seen it, @ClarkDevlin. I look forward to getting into it, and seeing what it has to offer. Appreciate your thoughts on it.
    Glad I could be of help, mate. Other detective shows like these two I'd recommend is Kojak with Telly Savalas, whose character is a no nonsense tough gangster-like detective whom the real gangsters fear and respect in general.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 17,662
    Hawaii Five-O is brilliant! Only managed to watch one and a half season before Netflix took it off last year. Hope to see more soon. Have a distant memory of watching some episodes on tv as a kid, during the 90's/early 00's. Couldn't have been much older than seven or eight, I think. They aired Hawaii Five-O, as well as Cannon – which I haven't been able to find since.

The pilot episode of Hawaii Five-O is a really good one, @ClarkDevlin. Probably the best of the episodes I've seen!
    Indeed, @Torgeirtrap! "Cocoon" (the pilot) could easily be viewed as a Felix Leiter adventure as well against his own Blofeld (Wo Fat), if you could get past the Steve McGarrett name. Lord's acting chops really shows... especially that charismatic sinister grin he gives every now and then.
    Indeed, @Torgeirtrap! "Cocoon" (the pilot) could easily be viewed as a Felix Leiter adventure as well against his own Blofeld (Wo Fat), if you could get past the Steve McGarrett name. Lord's acting chops really shows... especially that charismatic sinister grin he gives every now and then.

Indeed. One of the better casting choices of any tv series. Lord, as well as Peter Falk as Columbo. I don't have a list of favourite shows, as with Bond films for example, but I think Columbo wins that one easy. It's just perfect.

Indeed. One of the better casting choices of any tv series. Lord, as well as Peter Falk as Columbo. I don't have a list of favourite shows, as with Bond films for example, but I think Columbo wins that one easy. It's just perfect.
    I agree. Columbo is the greatest police procedural out there, with its elegance and style.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited October 2017 Posts: 2,730
    Got some new blu rays

Manchester by the sea
    T2 Trainspotting
    Kong Skull Island
    The Shining
    Full Metal Jacket
    Blade Runner
    The social network
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

I agree. Columbo is the greatest police procedural out there, with its elegance and style.

+1

+1

Can't really think of a show which equals Columbo in terms of really great episodes. Anyone seen Cannon? Haven't watched it for many years, and I'm curious if it holds the same quality as a show like Hawaii Five-O – or any police procedural/detective shows from the same era for that matter.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

+1

Can't really think of a show which equals Columbo in terms of really great episodes. Anyone seen Cannon? Haven't watched it for many years, and I'm curious if it holds the same quality as a show like Hawaii Five-O – or any police procedural/detective shows from the same era for that matter.

Never seen Cannon though I have the complete boxset of Columbo fantastic series of TV movies.
    We can all agree though that Steve McGarrett is the coolest cop ever. ;)

giphy.gif
    Never seen Cannon though I have the complete boxset of Columbo fantastic series of TV movies.

Getting that boxset for christmas I think. Have the first two seasons on DVD, but would like to get all the rest as well. Can't remember if I've seen the 90's/00's stuff, so it will be an interesting watch.

giphy.gif

Queue CSI: Miami yell!
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Naah, Lord's McGarrett is heights and skies above cooler than Caruso's Horatio Caine. ;)
    Naah, Lord's McGarrett is heights and skies above cooler than Caruso's Horatio Caine. ;)

No argument there! But with sunglasses, those two wouldn't look all that different, at least in the penthouse shot above ;)

No argument there! But with sunglasses, those two wouldn't look all that different, at least in the penthouse shot above ;)
    "You'll never get away with murder." ;)

Getting that boxset for christmas I think. Have the first two seasons on DVD, but would like to get all the rest as well. Can't remember if I've seen the 90's/00's stuff, so it will be an interesting watch.

giphy.gif

The Columbo cigar boxset is quite cheap these days, a few of the seasons are now on Bluray though I am hoping one day the whole set will be on Bluray, though to be honest the DVD's look great.

giphy.gif

The Columbo cigar boxset is quite cheap these days, a few of the seasons are now on Bluray though I am hoping one day the whole set will be on Bluray, though to be honest the DVD's look great.

Noticed that! Hope the boxset stays cheap until christmas season; then I'll have the holidays sorted! To be honest, I've never got into the Blu-ray thing. Know the quality is better and all – and with selected (more "important") titles I have both a DVD and a Blu-ray edition. But other than that, I'll just go for the DVD edition or get a digital copy – and maybe save some money.

Columbo is a different thing though. If there's a complete Blu-ray set, I'll get that, of course.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 24,804

giphy.gif

Noticed that! Hope the boxset stays cheap until christmas season; then I'll have the holidays sorted! To be honest, I've never got into the Blu-ray thing. Know the quality is better and all – and with selected (more "important") titles I have both a DVD and a Blu-ray edition. But other than that, I'll just go for the DVD edition or get a digital copy – and maybe save some money.

Columbo is a different thing though. If there's a complete Blu-ray set, I'll get that, of course.

I buy alot of digital copys from Amazon Prime though I am a collector so I like getting Boxsets etc for display I have a 4K TV so like to have the best picture possible though Netflix and Amazon stream alot of 4K content now.
    I buy alot of digital copys from Amazon Prime though I am a collector so I like getting Boxsets etc for display I have a 4K TV so like to have the best picture possible though Netflix and Amazon stream alot of 4K content now.
    Last time I checked, digital copy's from Amazon Video wasn't available to buy from Norway. Hope that's changed, as there are several shows there which I would like digital copies of – The Man from U.N.C.L.E, for example.
    Never actually watched 4K content/videos before. Much better than your average streaming quality?
    Last time I checked, digital copy's from Amazon Video wasn't available to buy from Norway. Hope that's changed, as there are several shows there which I would like digital copies of – The Man from U.N.C.L.E, for example.
    Never actually watched 4K content/videos before. Much better than your average streaming quality?

4K streaming is better than HD you notice it more on older remastered films, though recent shows like The Crown looks fantastic in 4K though it was shot on Royal residency so the detail is there to be appreciated. I must have 30 plus movies bought from Prime and downloaded them to my tablet (so I can watch them offline) mostly HD films I bought a few TV shows there are loads of classic shows to buy or stream. I have a the DVD film set of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. be good to get the full series at some point. Prime occasionally has price drops on films and boxsets
    572946.jpg

£2.99 HD download bargain
    4K streaming is better than HD you notice it more on older remastered films, though recent shows like The Crown looks fantastic in 4K though it was shot on Royal residency so the detail is there to be appreciated. I must have 30 plus movies bought from Prime and downloaded them to my tablet (so I can watch them offline) mostly HD films I bought a few TV shows there are loads of classic shows to buy or stream. I have a the DVD film set of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. be good to get the full series at some point. Prime occasionally has price drops on films and boxsets
    Noted! Will have to think about a 4K TV sometime in the future. No doubt the Bond films would look their very best in 4K!
    Noted! Will have to think about a 4K TV sometime in the future. No doubt the Bond films would look their very best in 4K!

A Bond box set would be a definite buy for sure, though the Bond Blurays look great upscaled to 4K, though True 4K Will be even better and eye popping.
    A Bond box set would be a definite buy for sure, though the Bond Blurays look great upscaled to 4K, though True 4K Will be even better and eye popping.
    Has to happen at some point!
    Has to happen at some point!

Hopefully release it leading up to Bond 25 or in conjunction, what a set that will be lol
    Indeed, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns! Will probably not jump on the 4K train before a Bond 4K collection comes, though. I have just a few Bond films on Blu-ray, so it's probably not a bad thing to wait until such a collection is available.
    0505d6caa9a6f0331397443e24654c05--the-mummy-hd-movies.jpg

HD download
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,812
    I went to my local Best Buy, which is closing down in a few weeks, to see if they had Batman: Mask of the Phantom on blu-ray but sadly they didn't. So instead I picked up...

Batman and Harley Quinn
    1f47999c-ba85-4318-8d64-c168aab928fe_1.f3f5fd2d03c0c097d655b508322362a6.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

Batman: Gotham Knight/Batman: Black and White
    9311012_sa.jpg;maxHeight=500;maxWidth=500

This is a comic book (Black and White) and blu-ray/DVD (Gotham Knight) combo.

Batman: Under the Red Hood
    6039310_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

Another comic book and blu-ray/DVD combo.

The Incredible Hulk
    14003597?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg

Finally found this on blu-ray. My MCU collection is finally up to date!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I actually was in the minority, and liked the Incredible Hulk. Too bad Norton was an ass on set. He did make an interesting Banner.