The NHL Thread

1383940414244»

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Don’t check-out yet: game seven may be the most exciting Stanley Cup final in decades.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Shame about the Leafs. I have a good feeling Florida will take out Boston within six games, though; the Panthers are my pick to win it all this year. Wouldn't be the least surprised at a rematch of last year's finals, in fact, hopefully with the other side winning this time.

EDIT: So much for that! Color me shocked Dallas made it past Vegas.

Ha, I called it!!! I NEVER pick the Cup Winner ahead of time correctly! I sure had to sweat it out though, hehe. Big congratulations to the Panthers. As bad of a look as it was to go from 3-0 to 3-3, I think it makes the final win more impressive in its own right. Frankly, I’ve rarely been so tempted to bandwagon to a winning team in my life! Weird as it might sound especially with the contrast of success, the Panthers and Sharks have been my favorites as of late.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Good Morning to your 2024 Stanley Cup Champion FLORIDA PANTHERS!!!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Eff this team. I'm done with hockey

I'm guessing your faith was restored? LOL!

Congratulations to the Panthers and the long road travelled to get to the Cup. You beat some pretty impressive teams along the way. Made this series one for the ages with letting the Oilers off the mat.

Now we begin the off season! What changes and story lines await us?
    To be fair, I would have also given up after Game 6. Most did, fans or otherwise. The momentum was long gone. Like I said, it just makes the victory all the more impressive when they more or less were alone in believing themselves after so much adversity. Wonderful team to follow.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited June 25 Posts: 4,562
    thedove wrote: »

Congratulations to the Panthers and the long road travelled to get to the Cup. You beat some pretty impressive teams along the way. Made this series one for the ages with letting the Oilers off the mat.

Definitely. However I was very pessimistic after game 6 since the Panthers were routed for 3 games straight.

I'll be at the parade on Sunday. My brother in law lives right by where they're holding it so I'm hoping parking won't be an issue

Definitely. However I was very pessimistic after game 6 since the Panthers were routed for 3 games straight.

I'll be at the parade on Sunday. My brother in law lives right by where they're holding it so I'm hoping parking won't be an issue

Congratulations and enjoy yourself! I’m becoming a Florida resident later this year, I love cats, and I picked this team to win, so the bandwagon temptation is real x)
    Game 7 was an all time classic! Congratulations to the Stanley Cup Champion Florida Panthers!
    Any surprises at the Draft? Any thoughts on the NHL Awards?

I was happy to see Nathan McKinnon get some love and take home the big prize. Loved to see the Sphere being the host for all the events. Quite an interesting structure, would a Bond scene ever take place there? hmmmm

I am a bit worried as I see teams trading for goalies and my beloved Leafs seem to think the injury prone rookie can be our number 1 goalie for the year. Do they resign Sammy? I can't see it. What do the Leafs do in net?
    The cup parade was insane. Pouring the whole time. About 200k showed up. Tkachuk getting off the bus and going drunken nuts in right in front of me. A good time to officially wrap up the celebration
    Any surprises at the Draft? Any thoughts on the NHL Awards?

I was happy to see Nathan McKinnon get some love and take home the big prize. Loved to see the Sphere being the host for all the events. Quite an interesting structure, would a Bond scene ever take place there? hmmmm

I am a bit worried as I see teams trading for goalies and my beloved Leafs seem to think the injury prone rookie can be our number 1 goalie for the year. Do they resign Sammy? I can't see it. What do the Leafs do in net?

I think Joesph Woll will be the Maple Leafs number one goalie going forward. He has done very well in the playoffs the past two years. Samsonov likely won't be resigned. I heard reports that the Maple Leafs could be interested in Anthony Stolarz who was a very solid backup for the Panthers this year. Free agency is going to be very interesting.
    The cup parade was insane. Pouring the whole time. About 200k showed up. Tkachuk getting off the bus and going drunken nuts in right in front of me. A good time to officially wrap up the celebration

Sounds like a cool memory and the perfect end to the Panthers season! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Sounds like a cool memory and the perfect end to the Panthers season! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Absolutely. It was a blast. Except for the 45 minute walks to and from because of the logjam. I even heard that the team has a now a wait list for season tickets. 10 years ago we're drawing 8k a game and i was basically going for free. Winning solves everything
  • peterpeter Toronto
    edited July 4 Posts: 9,422
    @Creasy47 .... Now that Tampa Bay has shown how ruthless they we're with Stamkos, are you at all nervouse that Dubas (thank god he's no longer with the Leafs), is ready to pull this with Crosby?

If Dubas thinks he's going in full rebuild mode, will he have the balls to cut Crosby free?

Why haven't they tried to lock him up yet?

The media in Toronto is already talking about this (on TSN Overdrive). But, because Toronto thinks it's at the center of the universe, they have tried to connect Crosby with Toronto (his favoutite team as a kid was Montreal). I despise the media here.

What have you heard?

And do you actually think this is a possibility (not with Toronto, but the Pens not re-signing)?
    The chatter I heard was they were closing in on a 3 year deal worth $8 million per year. Not sure how accurate it was. Apparently Dubas and Crosby's agents have been in talks for a while now. But who knows if either side is getting cold feet? Maybe the term of 3 years is an issue?

Pittsburgh hasn't done much of note besides moving on from Reilly Smith.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @thedove , listen to Bryan Hayes. It was his brilliant theory on Overdrive (I can’t stand that muck). Although I can’t stand Dubas, I don’t wanna see Crosby in a new tarp, unless that team is a legit contender and he’s not relegated to being in and out of the line up.

But then again, does Crosby want to stay on a team that is obviously going nowhere fast?

If it’s his choice, good, then move.

It’s amazing how Hayes can take what is, or isn’t happening behind closed doors, and then make it about Toronto.
    I don't envy the hockey media guys in Toronto they need to create content out of nothing even during the summer months. I can appreciate that they have to make something out of nothing.

We have Simmons reporting a Leaf signing is not really a signing. I read an article today on Sportsnet about the 2025 draft and the top prospects. It is all a bit crazy
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Couldn't believe the news this morning. Johnny Gaudreau and his brother have died after a late night bike incident involving a suspected drunk driver. Even worse, they were both set to serve as groomsmen in their sister's wedding today. Devastating.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/nhl/columbus-blue-jackets/2024/08/30/columbus-blue-jackets-johnny-gaudreau-dead-bike-accident-crashnew-jersey-calgary-flamesnhl/75009208007/
    I'm hurting this morning over the news. I woke up this morning seeing rumors that I was hoping wouldn't be true. Dude was known as Johnny Hockey. I honestly don't know what else to say.
    One of the first things I saw this morning was someone asking if it was true, and I figured a post that popular must've meant it was. Terrible to dig into and see confirmations. It's truly unbelievable.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    One of the first things I saw this morning was someone asking if it was true, and I figured a post that popular must've meant it was. Terrible to dig into and see confirmations. It's truly unbelievable.

Yes, I was at the gym and my phone blew up with my hockey buddies sending me the news. Just tragic. It’s crushing.
    And this is after that insane fireworks accident a couple of years back that resulted in the death of Matiss Kivlenieks, a goalie for Columbus. Unreal.
    Crazy and very tragic news. The eve of his sisters wedding and both brothers gone. My heart goes out to his family.

His love of the game and the passion he displayed on the ice really endeared him to many. He was one of the those players that you hated if he played for another team, but loved if he was on yours.

I hope this driver gets the full extent of the law and all charges to the max. A senseless and tragic day for the world of hockey. Even more of a tragedy of for his family.