The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 5 deadline: Sat 21 Sep 11:00*

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited July 28 Posts: 24,776

Cheers guys.

Back! United looked OK for 20 odd minutes until Rasmus and Yoro got injured, Arsenal deserved the win, though it is all about fitness at this stage.

I still have major reservations about several United players though too early to see if they can improve from last season.

Great to have you back, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns!

Didn't catch the game myself, as it started so late. Happy to see Arsenal winning, but I've yet to see many highlights, so I don't know how they and United played.

Thank you had a mini mid life crisis though OK now lol

I posted a few random things the past week though was as some say lurking.

Martinelli was the standout he looked very sharp, a consideration for my squad.

Rasmus took his goal well before being injured, he looked liked Haaland the way he muscled past the defense.
    I hope you're doing much better now; we all have things we need to deal with from time to time. :)

Arsenal really need a fit Martinelli on that left hand side, so I hope he can stay sharp and fit for the upcoming season.

Højlund will be one to watch this season. He's had time to get used to a new club and country now, and he's still very young, so there should be no surprise if he steps up this year.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I hope you're doing much better now; we all have things we need to deal with from time to time. :)

Arsenal really need a fit Martinelli on that left hand side, so I hope he can stay sharp and fit for the upcoming season.

Højlund will be one to watch this season. He's had time to get used to a new club and country now, and he's still very young, so there should be no surprise if he steps up this year.

Thank you I had lost my focus recently though getting it back thankfully.

I am my worst judge, which is good and bad.

I've been there myself. Taking a good break and just focusing on what's important has helped making things better!

I've been there myself. Taking a good break and just focusing on what's important has helped making things better!

I am a firm believer most things happen for a reason to teach us something.

Not checked my team since my first draft though I have a few players mentally penciled in, I think I will end up have Haaland even though he is 1 billion pounds lol
    Osimhen strongly linked with Chelsea.
  • edited July 30 Posts: 17,660
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

Not checked my team since my first draft though I have a few players mentally penciled in, I think I will end up have Haaland even though he is 1 billion pounds lol

That might be very true, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

I haven't done many changes to my drafts either. It's mostly been trying to find the cheap starting options, and some players with decent fixtures that might be worth having from the start of the season.

As of yet, both Haaland and Salah are still in my team, but I'm undecided if I will start the season with both of them. With Salah it's mostly about "who else" to pick from their attacking options. He feels like the most secure player to choose in terms of minutes. And to not have Haaland… I guess there's more about how to be able to get him should I start the season not owning him, and he scores big in gameweek 1.

With money tied up with those two players, at least you know that it's easier to sell than trying to find funds to buy them. That's where I'm at right now at least.

That squad of theirs must be very big right now, surely? It will be interesting to see how they avoid FFP trouble with their transfers. I know it's an issue with Arsenal; they need to sell before buying new players.
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns

That might be very true, @Fire_and_Ice_Returns.

I haven't done many changes to my drafts either. It's mostly been trying to find the cheap starting options, and some players with decent fixtures that might be worth having from the start of the season.

As of yet, both Haaland and Salah are still in my team, but I'm undecided if I will start the season with both of them. With Salah it's mostly about "who else" to pick from their attacking options. He feels like the most secure player to choose in terms of minutes. And to not have Haaland… I guess there's more about how to be able to get him should I start the season not owning him, and he scores big in gameweek 1.

With money tied up with those two players, at least you know that it's easier to sell than trying to find funds to buy them. That's where I'm at right now at least.

That squad of theirs must be very big right now, surely? It will be interesting to see how they avoid FFP trouble with their transfers. I know it's an issue with Arsenal; they need to sell before buying new players.

Chelsea remind me of a car show room, I keep hearing the captain Gallagher maybe be going to Athleti which makes no sense to me.

I forgot that Chelsea still own Lukaku, according to reports he is going the other way to Napoli.
    I'd be surprised if they let him go, really – unless they are forced to, to stay within FFP rules. It's interesting to see more English players abroad these days. Sancho and Jude Bellingham's success in foreign leagues is probably paving the way for more of these moves.

They do? Wow! Looks like he's going to Napoli, yes. I don't follow Italian football that closely myself; a newspaper here in Norway have the rights to show Serie A, and I don't have a subscription – but it will be interesting to see how he does in another Italian club.
    edited July 31 Posts: 24,776
    I'd be surprised if they let him go, really – unless they are forced to, to stay within FFP rules. It's interesting to see more English players abroad these days. Sancho and Jude Bellingham's success in foreign leagues is probably paving the way for more of these moves.

They do? Wow! Looks like he's going to Napoli, yes. I don't follow Italian football that closely myself; a newspaper here in Norway have the rights to show Serie A, and I don't have a subscription – but it will be interesting to see how he does in another Italian club.

Shocked to see Arsenal wonder kid Obi Martins sign for Man United, It must be down to contract?

I read a few comments that Arteta does not bring through youth and Obi may not have seen a clear path to the first team? Bayern were originally favorites to sign him.

Edited: According to one report Arsenal offered 15k a week, Man United doubled that. If true 30k for a 16 year is rare this kid must be good. I wonder if he will go straight into the first team or spend a year in the youth set.

Watching some of his highlights Obi looks about 6ft 2 at 16, he reminds me a bit of Zlattan in the way he plays.
  • edited July 31 Posts: 17,660

Shocked to see Arsenal wonder kid Obi Martins sign for Man United, It must be down to contract?

I read a few comments that Arteta does not bring through youth and Obi may not have seen a clear path to the first team? Bayern were originally favorites to sign him.

Edited: According to one report Arsenal offered 15k a week, Man United doubled that. If true 30k for a 16 year is rare this kid must be good. I wonder if he will go straight into the first team or spend a year in the youth set.

Watching some of his highlights Obi looks about 6ft 2 at 16, he reminds me a bit of Zlattan in the way he plays.

Yes, sources claim that United offered double of what Arsenal could offer him. These young players are offered quite significant contracts without minutes with first team football; it's crazy how the market for young talent is becoming. From what I've read, Ethan Nwaneri has impressed with Arsenal in preseason. Won't surprise me if he's the next academy player they want to give a chance at first team football. He's the same age as Chido Obi-Martin.

Nwaneri has played PL football though, against Brentford and West Ham (as a sub in both games).
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Manchester United's new signing Leny Yoro has been ruled out for around three months with a foot injury, while Rasmus Hojlund will miss six weeks.
    Fulham have completed a club-record signing of Emile Smith Rowe from Arsenal.

The deal has seen them pay an initial £27m, plus add-ons that could take the total to £34m
    Manchester United's new signing Leny Yoro has been ruled out for around three months with a foot injury, while Rasmus Hojlund will miss six weeks.

As soon as I saw that artificial pitch I was worried, They both looked good vs arsenal before they went off. These over sea's trips pre season never do United any favor's when it comes to injury's.

Rashford and Antony had to go off the other day, not sure they will feature vs Liverpool.

---

Nwaner ahead in eh pecking order to Obi? @Torgeirtrap, the rate at which we are losing payers Obi maybe fast tracked to the first team.
  • edited August 2 Posts: 17,660
    Fulham have completed a club-record signing of Emile Smith Rowe from Arsenal.

The deal has seen them pay an initial £27m, plus add-ons that could take the total to £34m

A good deal for both clubs and Smith Rowe, I think. Fulham will be strengthening their attacking positions, and Arsenal can open the door for a a new signing.

_______

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns I wouldn't know about that, but from what I've read, Nwaneri is highly rated by the club. My guess is that Obi-Martin was too tempted by the offer by United to turn it down, and he might have got the impression that the route to first team football was easier at Old Trafford. That remains to be seen, but if United get any more injuries, he might see first team football sooner than he might have expected.

Got to give it to Nwaneri though. He apparently turned down (what I imagine was very lucrative) offers from Chelsea and Manchester City, in order to stay at Arsenal. His contract is apparently the highest-ever wage for an Arsenal academy player though, so he will still earn quite a lot, I imagine. The fact that Arsenal are willing to do this, is probably an indication of how much they want him at the club.
    After watching a few pre season games I know who I will back, it is not the team I support..
    edited August 4 Posts: 24,776
    Fish gone off in leg brace. United is tumbling.

Worst pre season ever.
    This is ..... TH whee is your structure.
    Liverpool ripped us to pieces.
    Liverpool ripped us to pieces.

It was only a pre season game which means nothing.

This player looks good.
    Denmark youth international Chido Obi-Martin famously scored 10 goals in a single game for Arsenal U16s vs Liverpool in November but left the Gunners this summer;
    Obi-Martin felt his career progression would be better at Manchester United and turned down offers from Germany
    After watching a few pre season games I know who I will back, it is not the team I support..

Haven't been able to watch a single preseason game so far. It's all been aired on streaming services I don't have access to, or not at all. Most likely I'll be going into gameweek 1 of FPL with only newspaper- and Twitter reports to go by, which isn't optimal.
    City, Arsenal and Liverpool are the obvious choices to back again, I would stay well clear of MU with Rasmus out amongst other things we are already in trouble.
  • edited August 4 Posts: 17,660
    I'm really not sure about Arsenal this season. Sure, they are adding to their squad with Calafiori – and hopefully – Mikel Merino, but they don't have enough quality in the attacking positions to compete against City. I won't be surprised if Arsenal doesn't manage to do as well this season.
    I'm really not sure about Arsenal this season. Sure, they are adding to their squad with Calafiori – and hopefully – Mikel Merino, but they don't have enough quality in the attacking positions to compete against City. I won't be surprised if Arsenal doesn't manage to do as well this season.

You definitely need a striker, Toney linked with spurs he won't be expensive Arsenal need to buy him, in fact United should buy him also.
  • edited August 4 Posts: 17,660

You definitely need a striker, Toney linked with spurs he won't be expensive Arsenal need to buy him, in fact United should buy him also.

A move for Toney is highly unlikely, if the reports about their meeting with Toney are true.
    An insider has suggested that Arsenal have ended their interest in Ivan Toney as they “purely didn’t like him” upon meeting the striker, and his personality is one they “didn’t want around.”

It's very obvious that Arteta want a squad that share a similar mentality, which you see in the way the players are together. If Toney is a completely different kind of personality, you risk getting another Alexis Sánchez situation at the club.

Of the striker names that are most heavily linked with Arsenal, it seems Viktor Gyökeres is probably the most likely target. But I imagine his price tag is waaay out of Arsenal's range. My prediction is that Arsenal won't sign any more players if they manage to land a deal for Mikel Merino.

A move for Toney is highly unlikely, if the reports about their meeting with Toney are true.
    An insider has suggested that Arsenal have ended their interest in Ivan Toney as they “purely didn’t like him” upon meeting the striker, and his personality is one they “didn’t want around.”

It's very obvious that Arteta want a squad that share a similar mentality, which you see in the way the players are together. If Toney is a completely different kind of personality, you risk getting another Alexis Sánchez situation at the club.

Of the striker names that are most heavily linked with Arsenal, it seems Viktor Gyökeres is probably the most likely target. But I imagine his price tag is waaay out of Arsenal's range. My prediction is that Arsenal won't sign any more players if they manage to land a deal for Mikel Merino.

Very interesting, the dynamics of the dressing room is one of the most important aspects of a team that many don't consider.
  • There was also the "Fuck Brentford" situation that makes me very wary about Toney.
    edited August 4 Posts: 24,776

Very interesting, the dynamics of the dressing room is one of the most important aspects of a team that many don't consider.

Indeed, and one element that should count just as much as the qualities of the individual player.
    There was also the "Fuck Brentford" situation that makes me very wary about Toney.

Yes, there seems to be something about him as a person that might make clubs wary.
    edited August 5 Posts: 24,776
    I almost forgot about Tony ban, I wonder if he is still receiving advice and guidance.

Thinking I am ready to do another draft after the weekends friendly, one player hS appeared on my radar I did not expect.

I am really struggling to get Haaland into my squad and I have quite a few bargain players already. Also Salah being 2.5 more than Saka is ridiculous.