The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 5 deadline: Sat 21 Sep 11:00*

Comments

Indeed. United's squad makes a whole lot more sense now.

Rice sent off, and Brighton equalise. Writing off the season for Arsenal already. They can't beat Sp*rs after the international break without him…

Ouch! not following the game, Arsenal will be there with City I think. Brighton are a tough side to be fair.

Indeed, Brighton are one of the better teams in the league, and any changes to their squad or even managerial positions doesn't seem to affect them much. My guess is that City will just run away with this now, with Arsenal dropping points against Sp*rs as well.

You will beat Spurs, they can't defend as a team.

Arsenal with and without Rice are two different teams though. Can see Sp*rs give Arsenal a real thrashing.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    That wasn't a second yellow card.
    They will appeal that i would think ?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited August 31 Posts: 24,776
    City line up looks weak in midfield, why did I bring Gundagun into my team lol not in the starting lineup.

R.I.P Sven
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    West Ham close to scoring times 2, the way city are set up leaves them vulnerable IMO.
    Haaland goal glad I captained him again.

Wow great move by KDB, good save.

WH after a bright few minutes are hardly in this game now.

WH are going to get battered if they are not careful, they look a bit light weight.
    Wow Diaz own goal.
    Haaland on fire gets his second.

Don't think it will lead to anything really.

I have Haaland (C), but I was definitely hoping for a blank today!

It is early days for WH new manager though Moyes WH put up more of fight at home than this.

WH have zero press or pressure on the opposition, good passing teams will rip them to pieces.
    Wow Haaland hatrick he must be the best player in the world right now.

I am a Man United supporter though i appreciate greatness when I see it, 24th career hatrick.

It is early days for WH new manager though Moyes WH put up more of fight at home than this.

WH have zero press or pressure on the opposition, good passing teams will rip them to pieces.

I'm just glad I'm not watching the game. City have such easy fixtures to kick off the season…

I am a Man United supporter though i appreciate greatness when I see it, 24th career hatrick.

Yet he and a Norway team with Bobb, Ødegaard, Sørloth (now at Atlético Madrid) and others can't qualify for an international tournament :))

I'm just glad I'm not watching the game. City have such easy fixtures to kick off the season…

Yet he and a Norway team with Bobb, Ødegaard, Sørloth (now at Atlético Madrid) and others can't qualify for an international tournament :))

It just shows even having some of the best players in the world if the spine is not strong it means nothing unfortunately.Haaland needs to be involved in at least one international tournament otherwise it will be a tragedy.
  • edited August 31 Posts: 17,660

It just shows even having some of the best players in the world if the spine is not strong it means nothing unfortunately.Haaland needs to be involved in at least one international tournament otherwise it will be a tragedy.

The Norway squad certainly has its weaknesses, but the head coach Ståle Solbakken is no doubt the reason why things aren't working. If they fail to qualify for the next tournament he's probably done, but they should've started finding the replacement now instead of putting their hopes in the squad "bailing him out" by somehow qualifying…
    edited September 2 Posts: 24,776

The Norway squad certainly has its weaknesses, but the head coach Ståle Solbakken is no doubt the reason why things aren't working. If they fail to qualify for the next tournament he's probably done, but they should've started finding the replacement now instead of putting their hopes in the squad "bailing him out" by somehow qualifying…

They need to build a team around Haaland, to be honest not watched Norway for some time, I recall the Ole and Flo team that beat Brazil that was some time ago.

---

I am not surprised we lost to Liverpool, it could have been easily 4 or 5 United as I feared were way too open.

Our next fixtures after the break are Southampton (a), Palace (a), Spurs (h) and Villa (a) tough fixtures on our current form, if we lose 2 or 3 of those game I think TH is gone.

Why Rashford keeps starting games is beyond me, Amad our most in form player was benched TH really is not helping himself and seems to have learnt nothing from last season.

Personally I think for the short term we need to grind out results and be more compact whilst integrating the new signings into the starting 11 and injured players return.

TH wont do this thugh I would consider moving to a 352 for a number of reasons, our wingers are not really doing it and our midfield is weak I would play Amad up top with Zirkzee.

Edited:

Just hearing now we could get free agent Raboit in, we have to get him in as we are too short in midfield.

Not keeping Amrabat was a mistake.

They need to build a team around Haaland, to be honest not watched Norway for some time, I recall the Ole and Flo team that beat Brazil that was some time ago.

---

I am not surprised we lost to Liverpool, it could have been easily 4 or 5 United as I feared were way too open.

Our next fixtures after the break are Southampton (a), Palace (a), Spurs (h) and Villa (a) tough fixtures on our current form, if we lose 2 or 3 of those game I think TH is gone.

Why Rashford keeps starting games is beyond me, Amad our most in form player was benched TH really is not helping himself and seems to have learnt nothing from last season.

Personally I think for the short term we need to grind out results and be more compact whilst integrating the new signings into the starting 11 and injured players return.

TH wont do this thugh I would consider moving to a 352 for a number of reasons, our wingers are not really doing it and our midfield is weak I would play Amad up top with Zirkzee.

Edited:

Just hearing now we could get free agent Raboit in, we have to get him in as we are too short in midfield.

That Norway team was very much a "team". You mostly had good reliable players, but few stars. The current squad has several star quality players, but Ståle Solbakken has failed to make the most out of what is no doubt the very best generation of players the country has had. Solbakken told the media today that he won't extend his current contract beyond the next tournament, but that will be too late for some of these players, who are unlikely to get the chance to play a major tournament with the national side…

I didn't watch the game, but all comments suggest what you write above. I'm a bit puzzled by ten Hag's lineups too, and Rashford hasn't looked alright for a long time. Rabiot could be a good signing though. He'll probably demand a high salary, but it could be worth it if he can strengthen that midfield.

---

Edited:

That Norway team was very much a "team". You mostly had good reliable players, but few stars. The current squad has several star quality players, but Ståle Solbakken has failed to make the most out of what is no doubt the very best generation of players the country has had. Solbakken told the media today that he won't extend his current contract beyond the next tournament, but that will be too late for some of these players, who are unlikely to get the chance to play a major tournament with the national side…

I didn't watch the game, but all comments suggest what you write above. I'm a bit puzzled by ten Hag's lineups too, and Rashford hasn't looked alright for a long time. Rabiot could be a good signing though. He'll probably demand a high salary, but it could be worth it if he can strengthen that midfield.

I didn't see the game just the highlights and Liverpool should make Salah a player for life.

I should have kept Salah in my team but it was away and guessed wrong.

They shouldn't be giving yellows for kicking the ball away,wasting time,taking shirts off etc just bad tackles/rough play.

They should give 50 metre penalties(advance the ball 50 metres up) or reverse the free kicks for those petty offences.

They are ruining games(fifa,epl ?) by getting players sent off for childish things (kicking the ball away,wasting time,taking shirts off)

The Arsenal game was ruined after Rice got the second yellow.
    Salah must certainly up there with Liverpool's best ever players, no doubt.

I understand giving the yellow for kicking the ball in isolation, but if they want to be this strict, then you can't have another player shooting the ball away without any consequences. The problems is that these yellow cards are only given a selected few, but situations like these will happen all the time, without yellow cards given.
    Let's have a look at how things went in gameweek 3 while the international games gives us a brief pause from FPL! With an average score of 64 points, it was a relatively high-scoring week overall. However, there was noticeable variance across teams, with some managers managing great scores, while others struggled to reach the average. This was the case with our league too, though some managers managed to get some good scores – best of which was CSAC, scoring 76 points. Congratulations! =D>

j1cnOIV.jpg
    Gameweek winners
    GW 1: Liverpool Richmond
    GW 2: Red Warriors
    GW 3: CSAC

We have a weekend without a deadline, and a lot can happen from now until the next deadline sat 14 Sep 11:00, UK time. Make sure to keep an eye out for injuries and flagged players before gameweek 4!
    edited September 7 Posts: 2,451
    They should give Salah another contract and have him as a ambassador for the club after he retires as he must be one of the most popular players the club has had ?

I don't think they should give yellow cards for petty things. It's a stupid rule.
  • edited September 7 Posts: 17,660
    I saw a segment on Norwegian TV a few years ago, where they covered how his popularity had positively influenced the perception of muslims in local communities in Liverpool. The club will be smart to look beyond just another contract, and – like you mention – make him an ambassador once he retires.

I don't know about other clubs, but Arsenal use their ambassadors very actively. People like Ian Wright, David Seaman, Gilberto Silva and others – even Alex Scott on the women's side of the club – all feature in tours, ad campaigns, with the Arsenal Foundation, etc.

I too don't think they should. I mean, if you kick the ball away once that should lead to a warning. If you lob the ball away more than once however, then that should qualify for a yellow card. It's the refs job to keep the game "flowing", without impacting the game too much. Yellow cards for petty things just breaks up the game and impacts the game too much, IMO – knowing that it's very easy to say that once my own team has been punished for just that.
    edited September 7 Posts: 2,451
    If the players kick the ball away they should penalize them by moving the ball (free kick) 50 meters up the ground instead of yellow cards.
    That would stop them doing that again ?
    If the players kick the ball away they should penalize them by moving the ball (free kick) 50 meters up the ground instead of yellow cards.
    That would stop them doing that again ?

Indeed, putting the team at disadvantage for petty things can be more effective than a yellow card anyway. We always see players "take one for the team". Solutions like this would put an effective end to that.
    edited September 7 Posts: 24,776
    Watching England its a relatively strong side to take on The Republic of Ireland, England squad depth is ridiculous to be honest. Lets see how interim manager Carsley fairs, hopefully more attacking.

i do wonder if anyone really cares about the nations league, i am sure we got relegated to the lower tier lol

Not looked at my FPL team since last Sunday I think.
    edited September 7 Posts: 24,776
    1 - 0 Rice scores against his boyhood international club lol

Entertaining game could be a lot of goals here.
    England just scored a brilliant team goal, Grealish finishes it off 2 - 0.
    Ronaldo nets his 900th goal which was a good finish for Portugal, he is adamant he wants to score 1000 goals... he will never retire lol
    Trent playing as a defender now ?
    Rice suspended, Merino already out with injury, Calafiori injured during the internationals, and now Ødegaard walks off with injury for Norway. Think I'll skip watching the NLD this weekend…
    edited September 10 Posts: 24,776
    Trent playing as a defender now ?

Carsley was asked about it, I can't remember his response word for word though he does not see Trent as a midfielder.

With hindsight the midfielder experiment failed for me, certinly against the better opposition.
    Rice suspended, Merino already out with injury, Calafiori injured during the internationals, and now Ødegaard walks off with injury for Norway. Think I'll skip watching the NLD this weekend…

Ouch these internationals can be problematic, The Tepublic of Ireland put in some strong tackles at times vs England which was starting to concern me especially with Mainoo, thankfully he was ok and did get subbed later on.
    Internationals this early in the season is pointless really, especially when you consider the number of games the players have played in 2024 so far.