The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 5 deadline: Sat 21 Sep 11:00*

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Areola and Mbuemo have 26 points on my bench very frustrating. I have three Arsenal players left this GW hoping one of them does not play... [-O< FPL Gods...
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Richard Arnold's open letter to Manchester United fans
    Richard Arnold is the CEO of Manchester United:

Dear fans,

Now that we have concluded and announced the outcome of the club's investigation into Mason Greenwood, I want to be direct and transparent with our fans about the process and the reasons for our decision.

This was an internal disciplinary investigation between employer and employee which would ordinarily take place outside of the public eye. Given the public nature of the allegations and Mason's profile, I acknowledge that this was not an ordinary situation, but I felt it important that we still follow due process and, so far as possible, avoid media comment until I had made a definitive decision.

When audio footage and imagery was posted online in January 2022, my feelings were of shock and concern for the alleged victim. Her welfare, wishes and perspective have been central to the club's approach ever since, as have the club's standards and values. While we immediately concluded that Mason should be suspended pending investigation, we were also conscious of our duty of care towards him and the importance of making a decision based on full information. Until February this year, this was a matter for the police and the Crown Prosecution Service. It was only when charges were dropped that the club discussed the allegations with Mason and others involved in the case.

Our investigation sought to collate as much evidence as possible to establish facts and context. This was not a quick or straightforward process for a variety of reasons. It was essential for us to respect the rights and wishes of the alleged victim. Also, we have limited powers of investigation which meant we were reliant on third party cooperation. Timings have also been influenced by my desire to minimise the impact of the investigation on our men's and women's teams, as well as our Lionesses. I acknowledge that this gave more time for speculation, but the alternative would have been to compromise due process or create untimely disruption.

While we were unable to access certain evidence for reasons we respect, the evidence we did collate led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with. I am restricted as to what I can say for legal reasons, including the alleged victim's ongoing right to anonymity, but I am able to share the following with you which should give you some insight into the complexity of this case.

• The alleged victim requested the police to drop their investigation in April 2022.

• We were provided with alternative explanations for the audio recording, which was a short excerpt from a much longer recording, and for the images posted online.

• The alleged victim's family participated in the process and were given the opportunity to review and correct our factual findings.

Last week the media reported that we had decided to reintegrate Mason and that elements of a plan to do so had been leaked to them. Reintegration was one of the outcomes we considered and planned for. For context, over the course of the past six months several outcomes have been contemplated and planned for, and my view has evolved as our process progressed. While the ultimate decision rested with me, I was taking various factors and views into account right up until the point of finalising my decision.

While I am satisfied that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with, Mason's accepted that he has made mistakes which he takes responsibility for. I am also mindful of the challenge that Mason would face rebuilding his career and raising a baby together with his partner in the harsh spotlight of Manchester United. Further, this case has provoked strong opinions, and it is my responsibility to minimise any distraction to the unity we are seeking within the club.

Although we have decided that Mason will seek to rebuild his career away from Manchester United, that does not signal the end of this matter. The club will continue to offer its support both to the alleged victim and Mason to help them rebuild and move forward positively with their lives.

Thank you for your continued support.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 17,660
    Missed a lot of the fun yesterday. West Ham beating Chelsea certainly wasn't expected, but shows that got some great players.

From what I understand, they haven't terminated his contract?
  • FeyadorFeyador Montreal, Canada
    Missed a lot of the dun yesterday. West Ham beating Chelsea certainly wasn't expected, but shows that got some great players.

According to the Guardian he has two years left on what they describe as a "lucrative" contract.

Also according to the Guardian, he can be sold or loaned out for the remainder of the contract - and remains on full pay

My guess is had there been a legal basis to terminate the contract they would have done so.
  • edited August 2023 Posts: 17,660
    Feyador wrote: »
    Missed a lot of the dun yesterday. West Ham beating Chelsea certainly wasn't expected, but shows that got some great players.

According to the Guardian he has two years left on what they describe as a "lucrative" contract.

Also according to the Guardian, he can be sold or loaned out for the remainder of the contract - and remains on full pay

My guess is had there been a legal basis to terminate the contract they would have done so.

Certainly would hope so, because for United to loan him out doesn't make the club look much better, and selling him and making money of what's happened is worse…

Terminating the contract is the only outcome which will benefit the club's reputation, IMO.
    edited August 2023 Posts: 735
    He's already been convicted in the eyes of the public. No club will buy or take him on loan, not in the UK, probably not anywhere in the English-speaking world, maybe not anywhere at all.

Which would put him in the position of being, effectively, permanently suspended until the end of his contract.

Might this create legal jeopardy for MU, I have to wonder.

Arnold's statement is interesting.

Continually refers to Greenwood as "Mason," as if he were a wayward child.

More importantly,

He says, "the evidence we did collate led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with."

Also,

"We were provided with alternative explanations for the audio recording, which was a short excerpt from a much longer recording, and for the images posted online."

Alternative explanations?
    Meanwhile, back in fantasy world.

Saka is no longer on pens, it looks like. Literally handed the ball to Odegaard to take the pen ... successfully.

Can't believe Gabriel hasn't started ... again!

That's Stones and Gabriel still in my FPL team. May have to wild card.

Watching on delay and really hoping CP get a goal ...
    They didn't ....
    Contenting myself with the following ...

Wish every team did this ...
    edited August 2023 Posts: 24,803
    Odegaard saved my GW, it still hurts having 26 points on my bench this could have been a great GW if I had not missed the deadline and reinserted Mbuemo back into my team which is what I intended to do.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2023 Posts: 2,455
    Odegaard saved my GW, it still hurts having 26 points on my bench this could have been a great GW if I had not missed the deadline and reinserted Mbuemo back into my team which is what I intended to do.

Mikel Arteta admits to having “no clue” as to who Arsenal’s penalty-taker is after seeing Martin Odegaard step up to the spot against Crystal Palace.

Odegaard saved my GW too, now that he's on pens, for now anyway.
    I had 20 points on the bench. They should allow points from subs like the real game does ?

Where does Rashford play this week against forrest ? Striker (Sell) or on the left (keep).

Trossard can't get a game after signing Havertz. Sell
    I will give Rashford another week especially with forest at home, no idea if he will play on the wing or as number 9. Hopefully Martial will be fit to start and make Ten Hags decision easy.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    Mohamed Salah told he can earn more than Cristiano Ronaldo as Al-Ittihad offer incredible £65m salary but Liverpool refuse to sell
    He's already been convicted in the eyes of the public. No club will buy or take him on loan, not in the UK, probably not anywhere in the English-speaking world, maybe not anywhere at all.

Which would put him in the position of being, effectively, permanently suspended until the end of his contract.

Might this create legal jeopardy for MU, I have to wonder.

Arnold's statement is interesting.

Continually refers to Greenwood as "Mason," as if he were a wayward child.

More importantly,

He says, "the evidence we did collate led us to conclude that Mason did not commit the acts he was charged with."

Also,

"We were provided with alternative explanations for the audio recording, which was a short excerpt from a much longer recording, and for the images posted online."

Alternative explanations?

Well, I expect a few Saudi clubs would be very happy to sign him – so he will probably have options, though maybe unlikely in the UK, as you mention.

I find it a bit strange if clubs don't have a form of breach of conduct clause in contracts, which allows them to terminate contracts with a player if they act or have performed acts that does not align with the club's values.

The fact that the club can conclude what the player did not commit these acts is quite a bold statement…
    Contenting myself with the following ...

Wish every team did this ...

Love videos like these. They can be quite fun!

_______

Already made one transfer this week, and considering a second one tonight. Tough decision.
    Made no transfers, having to bench a player reluctantly I think when I wildcard I need a weaker bench. It is last chance saloon for my Chelsea assets, if they do nothing vs Luton at home they are gone.
    Just before the deadline for gameweek 3, here's the gameweek 2 review! This gameweek saw a significantly lower average score, much because popular picks like Haaland blanked. A 44 points average aside, we saw several good scores in our league, best of which was Liverpool Richmond, finishing the gameweek with 61 points. Congratulations! =D>

JLkRTm6.jpg

Gameweek winners:
    GW 1: Dinamo Skruknott
    GW 2: Liverpool Richmond
    Made no transfers, having to bench a player reluctantly I think when I wildcard I need a weaker bench. It is last chance saloon for my Chelsea assets, if they do nothing vs Luton at home they are gone.

Good fixtures ahead for Chelsea though…
    Here are the gameweek 3 captaincy picks!
    Haaland: 13
    Saka: 3
    Mbuemo: 1

Just the three captaincy picks this time around, with the majority (unsurprisingly) backing Haaland to deliver against Sheffield United. Saka and Mbuemo are backed by three and one manager respectively. Good luck everyone!
    Here are the gameweek 3 captaincy picks!
    Haaland: 13
    Saka: 3
    Mbuemo: 1

Just the three captaincy picks this time around, with the majority (unsurprisingly) backing Haaland to deliver against Sheffield United. Saka and Mbuemo are backed by three and one manager respectively. Good luck everyone!

That's funny or brave .... was watching a stream where supposedly 99/100 "top 100" FPL managers selected Haaland. The one exception went for Chilwell ...

All Chelsea so far ... Sterling fires directly at thd keeper from point blank.
    Sterling looks to be Chelsea's most dangerous player ....
    Jackson kind of anonymous so far ....
    Beautiful goal from Sterling ... people forget he's only 27.
    Beautiful goal from Sterling ... people forget he's only 27.

Err ... 28 years old.

Yeah Sterling looked decent vs West Ham he may be the only Chelsea attacker worth having.

I considered selling Jackson today though thought I would keep him for this fixture.

Yeah Sterling looked decent vs West Ham he may be the only Chelsea attacker worth having.

I considered selling Jackson today though thought I would keep him for this fixture.

Jackson may still come good, the FPL illuminati have all backed him this week. Sterling looks super motivated ...
    Those who went with 4.0 Gusto, James' temp replacement, are rewarded with an FPL assist
    Luton not really offering much, you would expect Chelsea to have a few more gears though my gut tells me this Chelsea side won't be prolific scorers.

Jackson may still come good, the FPL illuminati have all backed him this week. Sterling looks super motivated ...

I will take a Jackson assist at this point, i am not expecting much lol.
    Only just realized Ross Barkley is playing for Luton.