And the Bondie goes to...best tender Bond moment in the series page 146

Comments

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    GoldenEye.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Feel free to write those in as your choices @mtm those are solid ones. I debated putting up against Fiona and the "can't win them all" line. Certainly a stand out so nice to see it mentioned. I always loved the whole kneel hauling sequence. Bond and his steely confidence. I even like how he takes the corral hit for Melina.
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    edited June 26 Posts: 127
    mtm wrote: »
    If it's lack of flapping, I immediately think of something like Roger calmly sitting in the van whilst Jaws tears it apart, mildly taking the mick out of Anya.

"Can you play any other tune?" here is great. Anya shows the fairly understandable level of urgency, and then Bond throws this line in. It's brilliant.

Perhaps an even cheesier, Moore-esque example I think divided people but I loved was in the TWINE PTS. Nearly killed by a bomb, a sniper, and grenade launchers, but still finds time to straighten his tie... underwater.

Personally, I hated that tie straightening nonsense in TWINE and GE, too forced imo.
    I love the Dalton line in TLD, but I too will go with FYEO, Rog delivers that line so well!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 26 Posts: 15,465
    It is a bit forced isn't it. I was almost going to mention the entrance into the HK hotel in DAD, but that's a bit too forced too. It could have been cool, but Pierce plays it like he knows it's cool, and the music is blaring away... it's all a bit too much.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    I love the Dalton line in TLD, but I too will go with FYEO, Rog delivers that line so well!

Show me a line he doesn't deliver well! :)
    I'm actually ok with Brosnan's little underwater tie adjustment. It's just one of those nice little tongue in cheek Bond moments, similar to Craig's cuff adjustment after the train jump in SF. I do agree about the hotel scene in DAD though.

Anyway, there's a lot that come to mind. It depends on how little or big you want the unflappable moment. My first choice/the one that springs to mind is Bond's back up bombs in TND ('You see Mr. Bond, I have a back up plan' 'uh-huh, so do I'). I just love the way Brosnan plays it, very in control and knowing full well he has a plan b.

If that's too 'big' a moment for the criteria, it's Brosnan's little neck tilt to avoid the bullets in GE.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited June 26 Posts: 8,101
    GoldenEye is my winner here. A lovely detail.

I'd like to mention a little moment in Spectre that I love, even if I am very cold on the film overall: Bond dispatching Lucia's would-be assassins in her garden. "Time for a drink."
    Personally, I hated that tie straightening nonsense in TWINE and GE, too forced imo.

Undoubtedly forced, but I can forgive some of that occasionally. If it happened in a DC or Dalton Bond? Out of place. Brosnan? It's just his equivalent of a Roger Moore raised eyebrow. I get why it can grind on some people though.

I’d have to vote for Goldeneye.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    The most unflappable I've seen Bond is after he's pushed out of the Apollo Airways jet sans parachute, and then eyes up the henchman below. He narrows the eyes and his posture, speeding into fifth gear.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    There's too many choises. I love the silent ones, the tie straightening in GE (don't like the underwater one), the cuff adjustment by Craig, etc. But of the choices offered and dispite my love for TB I'll go for FYEO. It has the most impact there, and works wonders.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Bullets in GE, the slightest of head nods as bullets spray past him, perfect.
    edited June 29 Posts: 5,103
    Wonderful discussion and some great mentions here! There are a lot to choose from and you have hit on many. But there must be a winner and so without being flapped the Bondie goes to...

Bond nods away the bullets in GE it received 5 votes!

Other votes were given to FYEO for "We aren't dead yet." Receiving 3 votes. "Some men don't like to be driven" TB received 2 votes (I decided to weigh in!).

Write in votes for Spy with the destruction of the van, SP for the walk across the rooftops, TND having a back up plan, MR for remaining calm while free falling!

Lets turn to the tender moments within the series. The times when Bond has shown some tenderness, not to his enemies but to the ladies that have grabbed his heart. What is the best tender moment from the series:
    • Bond delivers bad news to Domino TB after an underwater love session. Bond must deliver bad news. I love how Bond steels himself a bit. Sunglasses on to guard his eyes. Slight hand tremble when giving Domino her brothers personal effects. A tender moment that deepens the relationship between the two characters.
    • Bond comforts Tracy OHMSS Lazenby gets slagged for a lot but the moment of the film where Bond tells the traffic cop that they have all the time in the world was acting at it's finest. The tender way he shows her hand. The cradling of her head and then the collapse into tears is a masterful scene of tenderness and emotion.
    • Bond comforts Vesper in the shower CR I know it's just been voted on, but maybe it fits better here. (even doves make mistakes). No words are exchanged, just Bond putting an arm around Vesper and then the water pours and Bond shows tenderness by sucking Vespers fingers...it plays better than I have described it. LOL!
    • Bond takes the corral reef as Melina and Bond are being kneel hauled, Bond has the wherewithal to twist things so it is he who takes the corral and not Melina! A tender moment within an action sequence. Pretty impressive and hints at the feelings Bond has for Melina.
    • Bond shelters Electra TWINE a rare instance where our man gets it wrong and shows tenderness to the enemy. But at this point in the story Electra has hidden intentions. Bond thinks quickly to save them from the avalanche and then as Electra is suffering from the whole incident he holds her, shakes her and grounds her back to their reality. We know that Bond is going to have to face the choice of his tenderness later in the story.

As with our last category there are many worthy nominees and I may have missed some, so please feel free to write in your favourite if it isn't on the list.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited June 29 Posts: 3,412
    Nothing can beats Bond comforting Tracy in OHMSS, it's still the most heartbreaking moment in the Bond series, very melancholic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Vesper in the shower for me. The moment where you really felt this film was taking Bond to places he hadn't been before.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    Nothing can beats Bond comforting Tracy in OHMSS, it's still the most heartbreaking moment in the Bond series, very melancholic.

Definitely. Bond comforts Tracey in OHMSS gets my vote, too. I think Lazenby nails it.
    I voted for CR in the last one, and it probably does fit better here, but I will also go with the OHMSS for this. Wonderful, heartbreaking finale, very well played by Laz, it has to be said!
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 29 Posts: 3,001
    Bond comforts Vesper in the shower in CR. An all-time great moment, revealing CraigBond's humanity. Set to the perfect music too. Wish I'd never seen the on-set photos of Eva Green cracking up laughing between takes or Martin Campbell sat on the toilet while directing it! Talk about undermining the magic...
    I’m going to throw a wrench in this debate and say that Thunderball’s moment is my pick. Everything about that scene from the location, to Connery’s acting (the trembling hands, putting on the shade to conceal his tears) and Auger’s wonderful performance is great; and it ends with one of the best Bond moments of the entire series when he shoots Vargas with the harpoon!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I didn't vote last time since I didn't have a clear choice in my head. This time I do, and it's CR and Bond and Vesper in the shower.

It's a great scene and very different for Bond.

(Nice nominees though! You put a lot of thought into these, @thedove ! Doesn't go unnoticed!)
    I’m going to throw a wrench in this debate and say that Thunderball’s moment is my pick. Everything about that scene from the location, to Connery’s acting (the trembling hands, putting on the shade to conceal his tears) and Auger’s wonderful performance is great; and it ends with one of the best Bond moments of the entire series when he shoots Vargas with the harpoon!

I don't actually read that scene that way. I think Bond is quite cold and blunt there when he tells Domino about her brother. I took the putting on of the shades as him declaring that he doesn't do sympathy/ emotion.
    Actually when I think about it, he's quite the same in NSNA, where, after asking Domino to dance, he tells her about her brother, and when she falters he abruptly tells her, "Keep dancing!"
    Not sure if it really falls under 'tenderness' a few of Bond/Camille's interactions feel far more personal and intimate. After taking away her chance at Medrano their interactions from the sinkhole onwards were all quite a nice deviation from the usual, but is holding someone in your arms, comforting them as best possible while intending to put a bullet through both your heads tenderness?

Not that it matters, OHMSS still wins out for me.

I don't actually read that scene that way. I think Bond is quite cold and blunt there when he tells Domino about her brother. I took the putting on of the shades as him declaring that he doesn't do sympathy/ emotion.
    Actually when I think about it, he's quite the same in NSNA, where, after asking Domino to dance, he tells her about her brother, and when she falters he abruptly tells her, "Keep dancing!"

That's the beauty, sometimes the scene can be interpreted different ways. I always felt that Bond was doing his best to keep emotions in check and the shaky hands gives him away somewhat. Maybe not tender in the traditional sense. Especially when you compare to the way he dealt with Tania and Pussy in the previous films. But I can see how it can be interpreted differently.
    thedove wrote: »

That's the beauty, sometimes the scene can be interpreted different ways. I always felt that Bond was doing his best to keep emotions in check and the shaky hands gives him away somewhat. Maybe not tender in the traditional sense. Especially when you compare to the way he dealt with Tania and Pussy in the previous films. But I can see how it can be interpreted differently.

For me, Connery Bond's most tender moment was when he saw Aki dying, that look on his face, the expression, the sympathy was there, at least.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 29 Posts: 15,465
    SIS_HQ wrote: »
    thedove wrote: »

For me, Connery Bond's most tender moment was when he saw Aki dying, that look on his face, the expression, the sympathy was there, at least.

Yeah I'd agree with that, I think that and his reaction to Kerim Bey being killed are the closest he comes to showing a bit of depth. But really Connery's Bond wasn't about that and later 007s expanded on that more.
    I always got the impression that of all his Bond girls, Aki was the one he was most fond of.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    CR shower scene.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Are we including both actors?

Damn, Diana Rigg saying, "The best I could have...a future."

Gotta go with OHMSS narrowly over CR. It's heartbreaking just to contemplate.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Heartbreak would be still another good challenge. I have one that comes to mind.

For tender, CR shower is hard to beat.

• DwayneDwayne New York City
    edited June 30 Posts: 2,689
    As @echo pointed out that line: "The Best I could have .... a future" is absolutely heartbreaking given what happens just seconds later. And of course, the manner in which Diana Rigg delivers it is very affecting.

That said, as a "tender Bond moment" is large to beat the CR shower scene.
    edited June 30 Posts: 3,412
    The shower scene in CR is not as tragic as OHMSS or the TB one (yes, @echo it's more of heartbreaking and tragic than tender, to say? The same for Bond revealing the death of Domino's brother in TB, it's also more of a tragic scene), I mean, tender doesn't need to be a sad scene, just showing love, then instead of the ending scene of OHMSS, I may as nominate the one where Bond wiped Tracy's tears when she walked out of the bullfight party, that one may qualify more for the 'tender' Bond moment, or maybe the skating rink scene (in my opinion, one of the most powerful moments in the series).

The FYEO one also fits in this category as well, That's the thing though, because Connery's Bond doesn't have any tender moments 😬, but heartbreaking scenes, yes (like Aki's death in YOLT).