And the Klebbie goes to...Worst gentlemanly moment by Moore's Bond page 147

1141142143144145147»

Comments

• SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    OHMSS. The scene further showed that Lazenby would have gotten better and better as James Bond, if he continued.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    CR shower scene. The rest is nothing special.
    A lot of love here for the OHMSS finale scene. But I was surprised not to see the post car chase scene in the barn where Bond proposes to Tracy. Her asking "Do you mean it" was heartbreaking, more so than the ending scene because you know it's coming. Here it has a sense of hope and a vulnerable Bond.

The FYEO coral thing isn't a big stretch for Bond. The TWINE scene is evidence of why it's one of my least favorite films of the series. From the absolutely stupid gadget that sets it up, it just doesn't work.

The choices from here get tougher as the OHMSS scene is an all-timer that never fails to bring up emotion. The TB scene proves the film has more depth, excuse the term, than people who just slag it for its underwater excesses. Domino is one of the women he's especially protective of and it's a nice display of Connery's acting.

I select the CR shower scene for how pivotal is to the story. The new 00 gets a sense of the danger he not only puts himself in but her, seeing the really tough side of the life he's chosen. And it clinches his feelings for her.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    BT3366 wrote: »
    A lot of love here for the OHMSS finale scene. But I was surprised not to see the post car chase scene in the barn where Bond proposes to Tracy. Her asking "Do you mean it" was heartbreaking, more so than the ending scene because you know it's coming. Here it has a sense of hope and a vulnerable Bond.

That's a good observation, yeah. It is a little heartbreaking, because she knows that up until then she has been in love with Bond but he hasn't been in love with her. He's effectively just been using her because he wanted the information her dad promised about Blofeld, and she knew that.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited July 1 Posts: 3,415
    mtm wrote: »

That's a good observation, yeah. It is a little heartbreaking, because she knows that up until then she has been in love with Bond but he hasn't been in love with her. He's effectively just been using her because he wanted the information her dad promised about Blofeld, and she knew that.

Is this the whole main concept of why Fleming crafted that love story that way? Because Fleming, like Bond, never appreciated the women who had loved him (Muriel Wright for example), Muriel loved him, but Fleming didn't loved her and only made her a hopeless romantic, of course, Fleming realized all of that, when she died in an air raid (and even to her death, she still cared for Fleming as she had bought him his favorite cigarettes at the time that she's killed), just like how Tracy died in the wedding scene, and the film represented it better and really well.

I don't know if it came from Fleming himself, but "you would never realize the importance of a person until they're gone".

And that makes me love this film more, because it shows and represents Fleming's own inner demons being poured into the story.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'll vote for OHMSS, for all the reasons mentioned by those who voted for it. The CR scene is very good/ tender as well, but in OHMSS it has greater impact.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Time for the unflappable Dove to flap to the stage and deliver the Bondie to our deserving nominee!

The Bondie for best tender moment in a Bond film goes to Bond comforts Vesper in the shower from CR. Accepting the award is a water logged Daniel Craig.

Voting shows us the following OHMSS Bond and the traffic cop received 7 votes, Bond gives bad news to Domino TB receiving one vote!

Lets give some kick of shins to a worthy candidate. Or is it an un-worthy candidate?

Sir Roger is known as a gentleman and yet his Bond has it's share of ungentlemanly moments within the series. So which scene or sequence listed here is his least gentlemanly point within the series!
    • Bond throws boy overboard TMWTGG Bond is drifting when a local lad climbs aboard and attempts to sell Bond a carving. Bond is impassive until the boy shows him how to get the gas flowing. Instead of thanking the boy, he throws him off the boat and speeds away.
    • Bond tricks Solitaire LALD Bond knows that Solitaire can assist him with an inside look into Kananga's network. He breaks into her house and then stacks the deck. Solitaire believing the choice of card to be true, ends up going to bed with Bond and consequently also giving up her virginity and her skills. It seems poor form that Bond stacks the deck.
    • Bond uses a human shield TSWLM Bond has just met Fakesh's secretary and is indulging in some kisses. When suddenly the lady sees Sandor with the gun. She screams and Bond uses her as a shield? Or did the secretary throw her life away for a stranger she had just met? Either way Bond throws her body on the couch and chases after Sandor.
    • Bond stuffs Goodnight TMWTGG is Golden Gun the least gentlemanly Moore's Bond ever was? Here is a second nominee from this film. Bond stuffs Goodnight into the dresser and proceeds to make love to Andrea Anders. The poor girl and the rather caddish thing Bond does is rather jarring.
    • Bond zooms in OP Bond shows immaturity on rare occasions and this one from OP hasn't aged well. Bond is in Q's India lab and decides he'd like to zoom in on a pair of breasts. This is a rather juvenile moment that seems out of character to the character.

There you have it, which moment needs a kick in the shins? Feel free to write in your vote if it isn't list here.

edited 3:15pm Posts: 3,415
    I may nominate Bond's "women drivers" comment while in the van with Anya in TSWLM, knowing that they're in the state of urgency and danger from Jaws, that comment and that particular act from him, for me, felt inappropriate, and a bit unrealistic, I guess, he could be calm and a bit serious, but not to act smug or arrogant in such a situation, just because it's Anya who's on the steering wheel and he had let his jealousy and sexist attitude to take over.

I think it's a lot more worse than the Felicca/Sandor situation, because I think the move was done in Felicca's part, she saw Sandor first and it's maybe her intention to shield herself, but Bond didn't intentionally done it, and Sandor may just happened to shot Felicca, at least from my own observation from watching the film, sure, he had thrown Felicca's body on the couch because he's in the urgent time to chase Sandor before he could get any far, reasonable, I don't see anything wrong with it, I've even felt that Felicca also seduced Bond when she had first showed up.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    These are all excellent choices - only Roger could possibly have sold any of this stuff (which is awful on paper) as anything approaching amusing shithousery.

I'm surprised threatening to break Miss Anders' arm isn't here but then again, that most likely would have run away with it (TMWTGG certainly is his least gentlemanly film).

I think the Solitaire moment in LALD is probably the worst here as it was planned out in advance by Bond and is a really cruel ploy to take advantage of her beliefs and then her body, whereas all of the other nominees are spur of the moment.
  • This is a tough one.

Bond throwing the boy overboard into dirty water is bad for not paying him, but the boy was swimming in the water before, and keeping him in the boat could put him in harm's way.
    Stacking the deck is incredibly poor form and probably would get Bond arrested in a modern-day setting. Don't even see what he gains from it other than pleasure.
    The lack of clarity in TSWLM eliminates it from discussion I think.
    TMWTGG probably runs LALD the closest. Not only is shoving Goodnight into the dresser classless, but also there's the feeling that Andrea doesn't even want to sleep with him and she just does it to win him over.
    OP is childish but whatever, it's a poor taste joke.

I think LALD takes it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The Solitaire moment is certainly up there as being pre-planned unpleasantness and fully taking advantage of her, but I think I'll go with Goodnight in the wardrobe as it's just so grotty to make her listen to him and Andrea at it. Roger's first two are films you really need to not think about too much when you're watching them!
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    I know the result didnt affect Jaws in the slightest, and Jaws was wrapping a metal bar around his head, but a gentleman surely doesnt knee a man in his jewels. His wedding tackle. The plums. His love spuds.

But yeah, Solitaire is probably akin to coerced rape these days, so gets the vote easily for me.
    Shouldn’t the title be ‘least gentlemanly moment’? Or ‘most ungentlemanly moment?’

Anyway, for me it’s the Solitare moment in LALD. Very weird scene.
    Solitaire LALD gets my vote. It's been years since I've read the novel, so I can't recall how it played out there, but the method Bond uses, especially knowing what danger it places her in, is huge. Yet she also plays into it.

The TSWLM human shield one is pretty bad too, although I can still never figure out if she was screaming out of fright for her own life or for Bond or what. The OP zoom thing is just Bond being goofy and immature. It's Bond's reaction after the Anders tryst that really makes that one bad. The kid in the boat thing I see as maybe him just keeping the kid out of harm's way, since how would he have any money wearing a karate gi?

Not directly ungentlemanly but still pretty bad was the aftermath of his using Corinne Dufour in MR to get to Drax's safe, costing her life and making Drax an even worse villain. In the film it's never clarified if Bond found out about her death, not sure if Wood's novel referred to it.
    edited 4:52pm Posts: 3,415
    Solitaire LALD gets my vote. It's been years since I've read the novel, so I can't recall how it played out there, but the method Bond uses, especially knowing what danger it places her in, is huge. Yet she also plays into it.

I'm going to burst the bubble and say that it's not in the book, if anything, it's Solitaire who seduced Bond in the book (in the train scene), actually Bond and Solitaire never had any romantic interactions or let alone flirting for the good chunk of the book (he'd even used his broken finger as a reason not to make love), and that train scene that I'm referring to almost happened in the book's middle act, well, it's always the girls who were seducing Bond in the books, and not the other way around like what usually happened in the films, Bond in the books acted like a naive, innocent guy who was always prone to seduction.