And the Bondie goes to...best tender Bond moment in the series page 146

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    echo wrote: »
    Of these, I pick FYEO. Piz Gloria was built for the production.

When I first saw the subject, I thought of the Golden Gate Bridge.

I double checked, but the building was already there, it just wasn't finished yet. So they adjusted it a bit for/on account of the production. And since it didn't have a name yet, they named it Piz Gloria.

My vote therefore goes to Piz Gloria, also as it is amazingly similar to what Fleming penned down.

Honourable mentions to all the others, as they were all amazing places.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'd probably go for the Arecibo dish as it was an incredible-looking thing which looked like it had been designed for a Bond film, but actually hadn't.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    mtm wrote: »
    I'd probably go for the Arecibo dish as it was an incredible-looking thing which looked like it had been designed for a Bond film, but actually hadn't.

That was on my list and I reluctantly removed it to keep it to 5 nominees. I am happy that you voted for it.
    Piz Gloria is iconic and has the Fleming connection to it.

A close second is the TMWTGG island. I've seen it described as like going back in time to the stone age and has gotten the nickname James Bond Island. I saw another movie set there recently and the whole time I kept thinking Bond and annoying the wife several times during that film.
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Piz Gloria.

Although all of them are good choices - as well as Arecibo (GE).
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Piz Gloria is iconic and has the Fleming connection to it.

A close second is the TMWTGG island. I've seen it described as like going back in time to the stone age and has gotten the nickname James Bond Island. I saw another movie set there recently and the whole time I kept thinking Bond and annoying the wife several times during that film.

My wish is that someone discovers the footage of Scaramanga and Bond at the start of the duel on the beach. I would love to see how that works it's way in. I feel with each passing year it is less likely to happen, but I think it would add to the use of the surroundings.
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Gotta go with a real place that is now known globally as James Bond Island!
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I also vote for Scaramanga's island. It isn't used enough in the film but it is nonetheless beautiful, exotic and perfect for a Bond film.
    Piz Gloria is definitely great, too and I also like all others on the list.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I will vote for the QoS hotel. I loved how they used it, and I found the climax a great one in a contained area, in the middle of nowhere.
    The QoS Hotel
    Time for us to flap to the stage and present the Bondie to best real life setting in the climax of the movie. The Bondie goes to Piz Gloria from On Her Majesty's Secret Service.

Also receiving some love from the academy was Parnal Observatory Residencia from Quantum of Solace, which received 2 votes, Ko Tapu-Khoa Phing Kan from TMWTGG which also received 2 votes. We had a write in vote for Goldeneye and the excellent dish system at the end of the film.

Lets move to the Klebbies and reward or kick the shins of something that deserves it.

Over the years the Q gadgets have been a highlight. From the Aston Martin to Little Nellie, the gadgets have added to the fun factor of the films. But not all gadgets are created equally. Here are the nominees for worst/illogical gadget:
    • double-o-7 camera Moonraker the mini camera was cool and provides a useful tool for Bond to use. But why would Q think it be a good idea to have oo7 emblazoned on the camera?
    • mini-rebreather Thunderball cool idea but has no basis in logic. These mini-rebreather wouldn't hold enough air for a couple of breaths never mind the time that Q says it's good for. I chuckle that someone from the US Navy asked to see the specs of the device.
    • Security system for the Lotus For Your Eyes Only another cool idea and it provides a laugh within the story but a car system that explodes the car? Imagine someone tampering with it on a busy city street? How many innocents would perish in the explosion or at least be wounded.
    • radioactive pill, lint Thunderball OHMSS in TB Bond is supposed to swallow a radioactive pill so that he will show up on radar, lets chalk this one up to the limited knowledge of the screenwriters about radioactivity and the levels that would be required to show up on a radar of a helicopter. Lets throw in radioactive lint as a second cousin, admittedly this was put in more as a gag but still.
    • Invisible Aston Martin Die Another Day say what you will about the gadget laden cars in the series, they had some degree of believability. But a car that would vanish? This was a step too far and one that saddled the film with a big moment of taking the viewer right out of the film.

There we have our list, the most illogical gadgets of the series, as always feel free to write in ones that you feel deserve a kick to the shins!

• edited June 4 Posts: 2,104
    It’s the invisible Aston Martin Vanquish. All the others have at least a whiff of believability, this doesnt.

(Love the car though).
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Yep, it's the "Vanish".
    Definitely the invisible car!
    Apparently the car security exploding system in FYEO, was a joke as there were a high number of car thefts at the time in Britain, and it supposedly got a big laugh from audiences!
    I remember before seeing MR when it came out, somebody mentioning how dumb the 007 on the camera was. The Bond world also makes radiation seem harmless if it's used on the good guys' side. The Lotus security system got me thinking about how many other gadgets could've ended in a disaster - if Bond flexed his wrist stretching while wearing the MR dart it could pierce somebody; if Klebb or Morzeny were walking around the SPECTRE training ground wearing their blade shoes and tripped on something would it eject the blade?

I like the rebreather and can allow it.

When DAD came out, there were stories about how the military was working on some type of camouflage and I bought into it. Now it just seems ridiculous. That's my vote

Another subject with gadgets that could be a future Klebbie is having the right gadget at the right time. I can think of several examples where Bond has one you can shake your head at.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I vote for MR. Dumb gadget.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I'm gonna say Vanquish, because although I like the 'cameras projecting' tech, the tyres would still be visible and the vehicle would likely still cast some shadow beneath. The car would be more credible if it was marketed as a stealth car (preferably in matte black or gunship grey) invisible to radar, NV, thermal etc., and able to change the colour of its paint/tint via an electrical current (electrochromic paint) to camouflage itself or blend in amongst other vehicles.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    QBranch wrote: »
    I'm gonna say Vanquish, because although I like the 'cameras projecting' tech, the tyres would still be visible and the vehicle would likely still cast some shadow beneath. The car would be more credible if it was marketed as a stealth car (preferably in matte black or gunship grey) invisible to radar, NV, thermal etc., and able to change the colour of its paint/tint via an electrical current (electrochromic paint) to camouflage itself or blend in amongst other vehicles.

Well put. That's very true.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    The Vanquish shoud vanish forever. It was so hard to defend being a Bond fan when DAD came out...DAD is fun but very stupid.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Even worse, the guards don't hear the V12 engine even though it's only meters away and of course the surrounding sound of an iced over lake in Iceland is overwhealming. Good thing the car doesn't leave any fresh tracks in the snow either. Oh...wait...

there's so much wrong with the concept, they decided to make it even-more impossible in the execution.
    The only thing that comes close to it is the radio-active pill, but they could've replaced that with a miniature radio (took them years to come up with that). But the Vanish has such a pivotal role in the film, it's definately the winner here.
  • slide_99slide_99 USA
    edited June 7 Posts: 670
    I'm going with the Lotus security system. It always struck me as way too extreme, not to mention pointless. The car was bulletproof (I think?) in TSWLM, yet the one in FYEO has windows that break just from a guy hitting with a gun? One burglary attempt and MI6 would lose a submersible car and all of its expensive gadgets and weaponry. The Vantage in TLD made a bit more sense as Bond actually had to set off the auto-destruct personally.
  • edited June 7 Posts: 3,290
    I'd say that it's not about how illogical the gadget is in itself (ie. it can be something that's unlikely to work in real life, but does so in the context of the film) but is instead about how stupid it is when considered within the movie itself. That's how I'm approaching this anyway!

So on that basis the invisible Aston is fine by me. Actually it's a pretty great gadget when you consider it like that. But the Lotus system is pretty stupid and potentially very dangerous.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Even worse, the guards don't hear the V12 engine even though it's only meters away and of course the surrounding sound of an iced over lake in Iceland is overwhealming. Good thing the car doesn't leave any fresh tracks in the snow either. Oh...wait...

there's so much wrong with the concept, they decided to make it even-more impossible in the execution.
    The only thing that comes close to it is the radio-active pill, but they could've replaced that with a miniature radio (took them years to come up with that). But the Vanish has such a pivotal role in the film, it's definately the winner here.

I like the bit where he HIDES BEHIND THE INVISIBLE CAR :)) Nice work James!

But really I don't mind any of these. Maybe the jetpack in Thunderball could be an option because, well, what's it for? Just go down the stairs, James!
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    From the options given, its hard to look past the Lotus. The Vanquish served a silly, awful, but in keeping point to the silly, awful film it was in. The Lotus just may as well have not been there, and as people have said above, was not even a good idea to have the car explode when a window breaks. No point. No logic.

That said, I feel the Moore era could have had this whole section wrapped up. Octopussy alone has the croc-sub, and a metal pen containing metal eroding acid, and a plastic horses arse disguise for the Acrostar. AVTAK's iceberg-sub, TMWTGG's prosthetic nipple, Moonrakers Gondola. Mind you, these all fit illogical/worst, but I still wouldn't change them. I doubt I'll see new films get made in my lifetime like the Moore era, so kind of cherish the cheese we do have!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Simon wrote: »
    That said, I feel the Moore era could have had this whole section wrapped up. Octopussy alone has the croc-sub, and a metal pen containing metal eroding acid, and a plastic horses arse disguise for the Acrostar. AVTAK's iceberg-sub, TMWTGG's prosthetic nipple, Moonrakers Gondola. Mind you, these all fit illogical/worst, but I still wouldn't change them.

Yeah I'm reading your list and thinking 'these are all great!' :D
  • edited June 7 Posts: 3,290
    That said, I feel the Moore era could have had this whole section wrapped up. Octopussy alone has the croc-sub, and a metal pen containing metal eroding acid, and a plastic horses arse disguise for the Acrostar. AVTAK's iceberg-sub, TMWTGG's prosthetic nipple, Moonrakers Gondola. Mind you, these all fit illogical/worst, but I still wouldn't change them.

Yeah I'm reading your list and thinking 'these are all great!' :D

If anything something like the prosthetic nipple was underutilised. Can you imagine how unexpected it would have been if it'd doubled as a small explosive or a radio transmitter? Exactly why people say TMWTGG's script is lacking in my opinion.
    For Your Eyes Only
    From the options given, its hard to look past the Lotus. The Vanquish served a silly, awful, but in keeping point to the silly, awful film it was in. The Lotus just may as well have not been there, and as people have said above, was not even a good idea to have the car explode when a window breaks. No point. No logic.

That said, I feel the Moore era could have had this whole section wrapped up. Octopussy alone has the croc-sub, and a metal pen containing metal eroding acid, and a plastic horses arse disguise for the Acrostar. AVTAK's iceberg-sub, TMWTGG's prosthetic nipple, Moonrakers Gondola. Mind you, these all fit illogical/worst, but I still wouldn't change them. I doubt I'll see new films get made in my lifetime like the Moore era, so kind of cherish the cheese we do have!

And Thunderball has 2 nominees!

I like the bit where he HIDES BEHIND THE INVISIBLE CAR :)) Nice work James!

But really I don't mind any of these. Maybe the jetpack in Thunderball could be an option because, well, what's it for? Just go down the stairs, James!

Yes, the hiding behind an invisible car is the icing on the palace, for sure. The jetpack I disagree, it was cool, and more importantly, real.
    I agree on the lotus beeing a hazard and too much, but it's real as well. It could work. Where the Vanish is just so silly, it doesn't add up to it's own logic.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The Lotus "burglar protection" was there strictly for laughs...like the Tarzan yell and the tiger scene in OP and the love between Jaws and Dolly in MR. So let's just suppose that Bond had to press a button to activate it, which he wouldn't have done in a busier place to avoid casualties. On the other hand, the problem with the "Vanish" is that it was to be taken serious as a functioning gadget, even though it was physically impossible and completely illogical.
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    On the other hand, the problem with the "Vanish" is that it was to be taken serious as a functioning gadget, even though it was physically impossible and completely illogical.

I despise that film, and the car, but this logic could be applied to a lot of the gadgets, not least of all the other Lotus in TSWLM, and there is not soul around who would in
    their right mind put that into the worst gadget category!

Although I suppose if I had a gun to my head and was told I had to pick between a Vanish V2 or another exploding burglar protection system to come back in another film, I'd probably lump for the exploding car over the invisible one!