And the Bondie goes to...best tender Bond moment in the series page 146

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Random thoughts.

TMWTGG. I honestly don't think I'd change the sound and vision presented. It works on so many levels, and the history of editing says things remain on screen with the idea the background flaws (mirror reveal of cameraman) will not be recognized by the audience during its initial release Absent a concept of our modern day viewing.

AVTAK. Visually well done and satisfying, this sequence is served up as comic relief. (Someday I'll tour the interior of Dunsmuir House after two failed attempts.)

DAD. The ejector seat flip is clever and more importantly visually well done (as is the Vanish). Still there are physical effects of tremendous and devastating force expended in close quarters in the car interior not represented. Very different from a charge outside the vehicle flipping the Aston Martin in CR. But apparently Q Branch compensated for and considered those things with a remedy.

QOS. Aerially stunning on a visual level with satisfying action. I can even explain away the freefall. The cuts don't detract for me.

SP. Train fight is awesome. I take the point of other passengers and staff disappearing. Was that the the work of Hinx? Or they saw what developed and found other things to do. It also relates to CR and Craig's own suggestion that after the winning at cards, the celebration with Vesper in the restaurant should evacuate the planned other diners to properly focus on the early morning hour and the couple. (In a similar way for focus and the late hour, the SP car chase ending at the Tiber works great for me. Thrilling escape from the SPECTRE meeting, and it's part comic relief and part bridge to more important things to come. It can't all be ramped up to eleven.)

DAF is the offender. Great venue and casting and setup and execution. Epic Bond history. To the point Bond "overcomes" two warrior women by holding their heads underwater. A different time there.

I drive a Land Rover LR2, known in Europe as Freelander. I may have to upgrade.

land-rover-defender-front-view0.jpeg?isig=0
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 12 Posts: 15,454
    mtm wrote: »
    Simon wrote: »
    What are you thinking would happen? Something to do with the gases firing the seat or something? Really it's not dissimilar to the technique of firing a big piston out of a car they actually use to flip cars in films- like the Aston roll in CR for example.

I think it might be the point that once ejected, the seat is not 'part' of the car. When it smacks into the lake, it wouldn't flip the car. It would either shatter, or just bounce back into the car, bounce around a bit and probably take Bonds head off.

No that's not how physics works: it's Newton's Third Law. A bullet is no longer 'part' of a gun when it's fired, and yet there's a recoil.
    Like I said, they actually use this technique to flip cars for real.

I'm sure it would be how they flipped the Vanquish in that scene too; it's not on wires or anything like that.

Not quite, there's a reason why they use a cilinder (same with a bullit), the recoil follows from the force in the opposite direction (indeed, Newtons' third) beeing directed by the barrel (in the opposite direction, hence the recoil, they push the gun back, or the cilinder, for the part/time when the projectile is still in the cilinder and beeing pushed out). However, with the seat, there's no barrel and the gasses go in every direction. So the directional force is lost, and the chair, for as much as there's one, would probably just end up in the back of the car (considering how far the roof opens).

Equal and opposite reaction. It's not so much the gases exerting the force on the car, it's the seat- one pushes in one direction, the other pushes in the other, in the same way that your seat is exerting a force on you right now but in the opposite direction to the force you're exerting on it.
    Genuinely, if you watch the footage, it's how they're actually doing it. Not with a seat I'm sure, and they've CG'd a seat in rolling away, but they're flipping it with a canon. They just use a cylinder to ensure the piston goes in the right direction, otherwise are you really saying that ejector seats are free to fire in any direction? That's obviously nonsense, they have guide rails; they are guided. They don't 'lose directional force' because they go in the direction they're designed to i.e. out the top of aeroplanes. Q would design his to do exactly the same.
    If you were floating in space, with no gravity or friction from air acting on you etc. and you threw a ball, the force of the ball leaving your hand would propel you backwards in the opposite direction with the same force as you would be propelling the ball forwards. That's physics.
    Alternatively, if you dangled your Corgi DB5 from a string attached to the back bumper so the car is pointing at the ground, and fired the little man out of the roof, the car would spin on its string anticlockwise away from the little man.
    Or in simpler terms
    I think it might be the point that once ejected, the seat is not 'part' of the car.

;)

I say simpler. Perhaps incoherently mangled, but CommanderRoss has explained better what I was intending to put across.

Equally wrong though! :D

Richard's point about the likely harm on Bond of sitting so close to the explosive effect of firing an ejector seat (at the very least his eardrums you'd think!) is a good one, but then that applies to Goldfinger too!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Will go DAF for this one. The end payoff is just so bad and felt they could have used the gymnastics way better than what they gave us. No fault to Bambi and Thumper who I think could have been more memorable if given better staging.

I will say worse for me still in DAF is the PTS. So many awkward moments and the one that always sticks in my mind is when Blofeld lunges at Bond with a knife and just keeps his arm outstretched for eternity.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 12 Posts: 15,454
    Oh yes, and Bond lightly taps him with that lamp :D
    Which is annoying, as it seems to have been covered in ketchup.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Oh yes, and Bond lightly taps him with that lamp :D
    Which is annoying, as it seems to have been covered in ketchup.

Ah, but John Barry.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    edited June 13 Posts: 4,410
    Definitely a DAF scene for the Klebbie. The moon buggy or the PTS fight would deserve it but I go with the Disney animals that don't like fighting in the water.
    I still somehow like the scene (at least in the crazy world of DAF). I mean, it is a nice variation that he has to fight two women.

The train fight definitely shouldn't be listed here. It is one of my favourite fights of all Bond movies. I don't care that there aren't more people but yes, there could at least be someone in the kitchen running away...
    AVTAK.

Some rightly visceral moments with the machinery.

Not originally noticed me, but the bad guy lying down on the conveyor undercuts the seriousness of the situation.

524dc9e6aadd82e3962b041cf3d9135b1a15f10f.gifv
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Definitely AVTAK warehouse fight. The setting is awesome, the execution quite poor.

Saida's dressing room fight has great choreography. Bond smashing heads into walls and using various items as weapons such as the deo gives it an anything-goes street fight feel. The big guy getting knocked out so early, and from a chair over his back was surprising. I would've had him make a second run at Bond. Would love to see more fights like this in future.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah I think it might be Roger’s best fight, perhaps along with Octopussy’s bedroom.
    I’m a big fan of that fight. It’s one of those Bond fights that has a sense of realism to it (the choreography in a tight space, the camerawork, objects and people’s heads being smashed around etc) but then it’s got that bit of absurdity with Bond using the spray as a weapon.

The camera crew in the mirror is a bit distracting though once you notice them! Otherwise it’s great.
    AVTAK.

Not originally noticed me, but the bad guy lying down on the conveyor undercuts the seriousness of the situation.

Yeah, this is easily the worst fight put forward so far. Its so lacking in any kind of energy and the heavy laying down on the conveyor is just silly and lazy.

Also, why does Zorin have a microchip packing facility underneath his fancy french chateau…?
    Yeah I think it might be Roger’s best fight, perhaps along with Octopussy’s bedroom.

It's his best fight scene IMO. I never noticed the mirror thing and I watched the movie a bunch of times.
    Only looked for the crew in the mirror just now. I love these little bits of trivia. I love how the big guy ended up sitting against the door and thus locking the other goons out.
  • edited June 14 Posts: 3,290
    QBranch wrote: »
    Only looked for the crew in the mirror just now. I love these little bits of trivia. I love how the big guy ended up sitting against the door and thus locking the other goons out.

I think EoN have even said they wouldn't edit them out in any re-releases or anything like that. But yeah, it's one of these interesting little bloopers that you get in the older Bond films.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    The weird thing is there's a huge white, apparently illuminated backdrop behind the crew. It just seems very odd for a film crew to do that, especially when there's a mirror in the scene.
    The weird thing is there's a huge white, apparently illuminated backdrop behind the crew. It just seems very odd for a film crew to do that, especially when there's a mirror in the scene.

Looks like everything was built and shot in a studio (presumably Pinewood). A lot of filming and photography studios have white walls and floors (the logic being you can bounce light more easily off of them). That said I agree, it makes the crew even more noticeable! But I presume it was a case where the mirror was accidentally knocked, reflected some lights which, when angled towards the white wall, made the crew almost look backlit, and gave away an unfortunate amount (mirrors really are horrid things to deal with when filming).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 14 Posts: 15,454
    007HallY wrote: »

Looks like everything was built and shot in a studio (presumably Pinewood). A lot of filming and photography studios have white walls and floors (the logic being you can bounce light more easily off of them).

I've been in a few and I would say that's not hugely common that I've seen. You might have a cyclorama, but if that's not removable you build your set on it more often than not (I did a bit of filming the middle of last year and the curved edge of the cyclorama we built our set on really played tricks with your head- you couldn't see where the wall curved up!). I wonder if it was some technique of the DOP's to get a large sort of diffuse fill light onto the actors.

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    What are you thinking would happen? Something to do with the gases firing the seat or something? Really it's not dissimilar to the technique of firing a big piston out of a car they actually use to flip cars in films- like the Aston roll in CR for example.

I think it might be the point that once ejected, the seat is not 'part' of the car. When it smacks into the lake, it wouldn't flip the car. It would either shatter, or just bounce back into the car, bounce around a bit and probably take Bonds head off.

No that's not how physics works: it's Newton's Third Law. A bullet is no longer 'part' of a gun when it's fired, and yet there's a recoil.

I'm sure it would be how they flipped the Vanquish in that scene too; it's not on wires or anything like that.

Not quite, there's a reason why they use a cilinder (same with a bullit), the recoil follows from the force in the opposite direction (indeed, Newtons' third) beeing directed by the barrel (in the opposite direction, hence the recoil, they push the gun back, or the cilinder, for the part/time when the projectile is still in the cilinder and beeing pushed out). However, with the seat, there's no barrel and the gasses go in every direction. So the directional force is lost, and the chair, for as much as there's one, would probably just end up in the back of the car (considering how far the roof opens).

Equal and opposite reaction. It's not so much the gases exerting the force on the car, it's the seat- one pushes in one direction, the other pushes in the other, in the same way that your seat is exerting a force on you right now but in the opposite direction to the force you're exerting on it.
    Genuinely, if you watch the footage, it's how they're actually doing it. Not with a seat I'm sure, and they've CG'd a seat in rolling away, but they're flipping it with a canon. They just use a cylinder to ensure the piston goes in the right direction, otherwise are you really saying that ejector seats are free to fire in any direction? That's obviously nonsense, they have guide rails; they are guided. They don't 'lose directional force' because they go in the direction they're designed to i.e. out the top of aeroplanes. Q would design his to do exactly the same.
    If you were floating in space, with no gravity or friction from air acting on you etc. and you threw a ball, the force of the ball leaving your hand would propel you backwards in the opposite direction with the same force as you would be propelling the ball forwards. That's physics.
    Alternatively, if you dangled your Corgi DB5 from a string attached to the back bumper so the car is pointing at the ground, and fired the little man out of the roof, the car would spin on its string anticlockwise away from the little man.
    Or in simpler terms
    I think it might be the point that once ejected, the seat is not 'part' of the car.

;)

I say simpler. Perhaps incoherently mangled, but CommanderRoss has explained better what I was intending to put across.

Richard's point about the likely harm on Bond of sitting so close to the explosive effect of firing an ejector seat (at the very least his eardrums you'd think!) is a good one, but then that applies to Goldfinger too!

I'm not denying Newton's third, I'm trying to show that the forces you think are directed, aren't. A bullit is leaving a gun at high speed because there's an explosion behind it. The gasses expand and are directed by the barrel. The forces find the way of least resistance (the bullit) and propel it foreward. In the meantime, those same gasses propel the gun backward. It's not the bullit that smacks the gun, like in your 'throwing-a-ball-in-space' comparison. Hence, when you want to launch a car upside down, you need a cylinder to direct the gasses. You need one side of 'least resistance' or the canister will just blow up.

Now, ejection seats in planes don't work with (directed) explosions, but with rockets (https://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/ejection-seat.htm). Making the flipping even more illogical. There's no counter force other than a lot of hot air. The only part that would actually work with newton's 3rd is the catapult which launches the seat the first few centimetres before the rockets kick in. Presuming it's the catapult ( I don't see any rockets in the Vanish) that does the job, it'd be one hell of a catapult beeing strong enough to flip an app. 1700 kilo car upside down.

Looks like everything was built and shot in a studio (presumably Pinewood). A lot of filming and photography studios have white walls and floors (the logic being you can bounce light more easily off of them).

I've been in a few and I would say that's not hugely common that I've seen. You might have a cyclorama, but if that's not removable you build your set on it more often than not (I did a bit of filming the middle of last year and the curved edge of the cyclorama we built our set on really played tricks with your head- you couldn't see where the wall curved up!). I wonder if it was some technique of the DOP's to get a large sort of diffuse fill light onto the actors.

I’ve been in a few where it’s been the case, but often they’ll have black curtains or whatever they can draw on the walls to cover them if needed. Not that I’ve been in that many mind (certainly not for major shoots). Difficult to say without knowing for sure though. It’d be a bit odd to place such a light directly behind the crew like that in my experience, but perhaps they’re not quite in front of it and it’s just how it appeared when reflected. But to be honest I’m not a DOP so can’t really say for sure.

Looks like everything was built and shot in a studio (presumably Pinewood). A lot of filming and photography studios have white walls and floors (the logic being you can bounce light more easily off of them). That said I agree, it makes the crew even more noticeable! But I presume it was a case where the mirror was accidentally knocked, reflected some lights which, when angled towards the white wall, made the crew almost look backlit, and gave away an unfortunate amount (mirrors really are horrid things to deal with when filming).
    I was gonna mention that the mirror had been accidentally bumped during the fight. You can see the moment the mirror moves, bringing the crew into view, no fault of them. Bumped by one of the thugs or even Saida, who is standing in the right place to do so.

The white light next to the crew looks like one of those square set ups that block out light from behind it, you can see an example of these light filters on set in one behind-the-scenes shot of Craig with the submachine gun at the end of CR.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 14 Posts: 15,454

Or in simpler terms

;)

I'm not denying Newton's third, I'm trying to show that the forces you think are directed, aren't. A bullit is leaving a gun at high speed because there's an explosion behind it. The gasses expand and are directed by the barrel. The forces find the way of least resistance (the bullit) and propel it foreward. In the meantime, those same gasses propel the gun backward. It's not the bullit that smacks the gun, like in your 'throwing-a-ball-in-space' comparison. Hence, when you want to launch a car upside down, you need a cylinder to direct the gasses. You need one side of 'least resistance' or the canister will just blow up.

Here's a simplified version which explains it:
    https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/Lesson-4/Newton-s-Third-Law
    They even have a section explaining recoil:
    Many people are familiar with the fact that a rifle recoils when fired. This recoil is the result of action-reaction force pairs. A gunpowder explosion creates hot gases that expand outward allowing the rifle to push forward on the bullet. Consistent with Newton's third law of motion, the bullet pushes backwards upon the rifle.

The forces are directed as one pushes one way, and the other pushes in an equal and opposite way.
    The ball-in-space version explains how this law works on everything: it is a constant of physics.

Why do you presume that the ejector seat doesn't have this cylinder you're after anyway? Whatever explosive power is firing the seat out is clearly directed using whatever mechanism is appropriate, why would Q choose a method which doesn't direct the seat out of the car? I'm not sure why you've decided he would.

Now, ejection seats in planes don't work with (directed) explosions, but with rockets

What do you think a rocket is if not a directed explosion? :D

Making the flipping even more illogical. There's no counter force other than a lot of hot air.

What do you mean by 'counter force'?
    If you mean the force pushing on the car, again; look at the ball in space concept. The seat is pushed away, it also pushes back on the car with equal force. Equal and opposite reaction.
    I actually even found a video of a man in space demonstrating Newton's 3th for you:

The only part that would actually work with newton's 3rd is the catapult which launches the seat the first few centimetres before the rockets kick in. Presuming it's the catapult ( I don't see any rockets in the Vanish) that does the job, it'd be one hell of a catapult beeing strong enough to flip an app. 1700 kilo car upside down.

It's not going to work the same as a plane ejection seat, because the point of them is to carry the passenger clear of the plane which is experiencing some sort of problem with a view to saving their life, and that would mean getting some distance away, and gaining as much altitude as possible before releasing a parachute. Q's ejection seat is designed to get rid of unwanted passengers, it doesn't need a rocket on it to get them safely clear; ideally they'll die. There's no need for a relatively gentle acceleration. So there's no reason to think it works like the ejection seat you've found there; it likely fires them out using an air cannon under the seat, just like the piston they used to flip the car for the movie. We can even see the seat after it has left the car in the film: there's no rocket firing on it.

Now, you are right that the acceleration would be more powerful on the seat than the car, and the ejector would need to be overpowered to create the acceleration on the car we see in the film due to the much higher mass of the car (the one we see in the film would have been not much more than a shell, I'm sure), but we've swallowed more improbable things than that in a Bond movie.
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    edited June 14 Posts: 126
    In order to hopefully bring the physics chat to an end, can I try and summarise the competing theories, because it feels like there are some crossed wires.

mtm I believe is saying the recoil/equal-and-opposite force of the ejector system flips the car. Seat fires down, car goes upwards (off axis as the seat isn't central, so becomes a flip onto its wheels). The recoil force needed is preposterous, but as previously said, improbable and Bond are not exclusive, and this is the daftest of all the Bond films - the ejector seat is fitted to an invisible car after all. This explains it nicely in Bond World physics.

CommanderRoss and myself I think were going down the route of not entertaining the insane levels of force required for recoil to be able to flip the car, as our conclusion was what we thought would happen in the Real World, not Bond World. To that effect, the seat would eject, the recoil would have no meaningful effect on the cars orientation, hit ice travelling 50mph+ 90 degrees to the direction the seat is travelling, and so would just bounce about into the car or shatter. Regarding the cylinder/gasses it isn't quite the same theory as recoil flipping the car. In effect the cylinder system becomes an oversized, very powerful, instantly deployed car-jack. Newtons third in full effect and present as ever, but its the forces exerted on the ground, and the opposing forces of the impact with the ground going back through the cylinder/gasses/car that cause the flip. Good example at:

In essence, I feel like it comes down to where you draw line between real physics and Bond physics. mtm's theory (if I was right about it earlier) requires a giant leap of faith with recoil forces, which is how you can get to the Bond World conclusion that this was the method of flipping the car. Mine requires dropping any suspension of disbelief because I was saying what I thought would happen in Real World physics, which is how I came to the conclusion firing the seat would just send it flying into the cabin of the car.

And with that, I'm going to make this my last take on the matter, even if someone resurrected Newton himself and he gave a different answer - nobody visits a Bond site for an extended, combined discussion of Die Another Day and Physics. And if some do, I don't!!! There's more to life than being right on the internet :)

The film is bad, the flip is cool :)

Back to the Klebbies!
    There is a longtime proposal that the bumble bee is aerodynamically incapable of flight based on understanding of lift and other factors.

And yet it flies.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952stex259kwajfpj95fzv1d8fhl4nluht0d88fn2sc&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• peterpeter Toronto
    There is a longtime proposal that the bumble bee is aerodynamically incapable of flight based on understanding of lift and other factors.

And yet it flies.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952stex259kwajfpj95fzv1d8fhl4nluht0d88fn2sc&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

I have to say, in a film I don’t much like, I’ve always thought the Aston flip was awesome. That and Pike…
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    AVTAK.

All this fighting is making me tired, ah look a nice spot for me to take a rest, let me just lay here and close my eyes a bit.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 15 Posts: 15,454
    Newtons third in full effect and present as ever, but its the forces exerted on the ground, and the opposing forces of the impact with the ground going back through the cylinder/gasses/car that cause the flip.

Sorry, I shouldn't bang on about this, but that's not how Newton's third works. The ground plays no part in it; the car is not pushing against the ground. A bullet doesn't make the gun recoil because it hits a wall a second later- the bullet is pushing against the gun. If the Aston were floating in space it would still spin away from the direction the seat is fired in.
    This will probably explain it better than I can:
    https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/newtlaws/Lesson-4/Newton-s-Third-Law

But yeah, otherwise I agree that although the physics are right, it’s a bit OTT to really happen :)
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm one of the ones who just goes along for the ride with the DAD Aston vs Jaguar chase.
    It's totally improbable, highly illogical but if you want it too and let it, a bit of fun.
    The ejector seat to flip the car is a nice little wink to GF.

If you want to look at the forces at play and how it couldn't work, I'd say that when the car is skidding across the ice on its roof, would it not be doing so nose down instead of horizontally as seen in the film?
    That's a very heavy V12 under the bonnet of this car.
    If you watch the film when the car flips onto its roof, the cars nose dips forward before cutting away.

ws5qidi6s08j.jpg
    vgctjoqb1v7s.jpg

Maybe we're spending too much time wondering about forces and whatnot in a Bond action sequence.

As for the Klebbie, I'll vote DAF and Bambi and Thumper.
    Makes no sense.
    edited June 15 Posts: 14,204
    So, Roger elbows this goon and he falls back into the left side of the dresser, pushing the left side back towards the wall thus making the mirror pan around to reveal the film crew:
    Goon 1 gets elbowed twice:
    53792577065_2ebc2200ee_o.jpg

Goon 1 falls back into the dresser while goon 2 approaches Bond:
    53791217132_19026ab2a1_o.jpg

Ma'am in the mirror: A mystery woman? appears standing behind the crew, wearing a blue/purple/orange sleeveless top. Could we be looking at Dana Broccoli here? The hairstyle looks similar. Or, perhaps a set decorator?
    53791216992_a921b46920_o.jpg
    53791217012_ca8bd0f471_o.jpg
    53792164061_6d654fc5ef_o.jpg

Crew members in the mirror:
    53792473709_37c7442e05_o.jpg
    53792576960_e00abfc9fb_o.jpg
    53792378608_60e5505e8a_o.jpg

It's all Roger's fault!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    QBranch wrote: »
    So, Roger elbows this goon and he falls back into the left side of the dresser, pushing the left side back towards the wall thus making the mirror pan around to reveal the film crew:
    Goon 1 gets elbowed twice:
    53792577065_2ebc2200ee_o.jpg

Goon 1 falls back into the dresser while goon 2 approaches Bond:
    53791217132_19026ab2a1_o.jpg

Ma'am in the mirror: A mystery woman? appears standing behind the crew, wearing a blue/purple/orange sleeveless top. Could we be looking at Dana Broccoli here? The hairstyle looks similar. Or, perhaps a set decorator?
    53791216992_a921b46920_o.jpg
    53791217012_ca8bd0f471_o.jpg
    53792164061_6d654fc5ef_o.jpg

Crew members in the mirror:
    53792473709_37c7442e05_o.jpg
    53792576960_e00abfc9fb_o.jpg
    53792378608_60e5505e8a_o.jpg

It's all Roger's fault!

I'd be more inclined to think it's possibly Elaine Schreyeck who was part of the script and continuity department.
    Good call, @Benny. Certainly the colourful clothing pattern is her style.