And the Bondie goes to...best tender Bond moment in the series page 146

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    QBranch wrote: »
    Good call, @Benny. Certainly the colourful clothing pattern is her style.

I disagree with @Benny .

The “person” reflected in the mirror is the ghost that haunts all 007 films; she was a past lover of Fleming’s. He told her she was the one and only, but in truth, he just needed a reader to edit his manuscripts before submitting to his publisher.

The problem is, she didn’t just read and edit, but re-wrote long passages from these books, elevating the material.

And now, she’s been damned to return to all Bond sets to oversee the productions.

Which finally leads me to my final point: the Aston flip in DAD wasn’t movie-magic or physics or anything of the like. It was her. The ghost. And everyone on set signed an NDA, not allowed to, or wanting to, discuss what happened on that day of filming…
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Ah, so that explains the apparition seen next to the V8 Vantage in the Norwegian forest. That was creepy af, and previous explanations didn't convince me. Until now.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    QBranch wrote: »
    Ah, so that explains the apparition seen next to the V8 Vantage in the Norwegian forest. That was creepy af, and previous explanations didn't convince me. Until now.

Yes. Exactly.

She’s there.

She’s everywhere…

But she’s quite decent as a gatekeeper. When Broccoli came up with the brilliant plan of hiring Gavin, Brolin, and other Americans, she actually haunted these actors at every turn until they publicly moved as far away from becoming 007 as they could.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Ladies and gentleman, this just in....we have a tie!

This requires a tie breaker vote, please only vote for the two that are tied!

Does the Klebbie belong to QOS Plane dogfight OR DAF Bond meets Bambi and Thumper? Both are tied with 6 votes a piece!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Bambi please.
  • Quantum of Solace
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Bambi
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I love Bambi and Thumper personally, but I’ve always thought the dog fight was very cool.

Bambi and Thumper goes my vote.
    QOS for me.
    I'll go with QOS... again, that editing...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Bambi and Thumper.
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    QoS
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Bambi & Thumper
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    QOS. I love everything about DAF. Especially the B&T fight
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    QoS.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    DAF.

cb48e73af67b812302b5ef86e9b7dfd4c04bdeed.gifv
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Daf
    DAF
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    DAF.
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    DAF
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    If I may be permitted to vote in the tiebreaker round (I didn't vote originally) .....
    ........ wait for it ........ DAF!

Plus, Connery's tie. Too short and too pink! :-t
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    The flapping of wings can only mean one thing. Time to deliver a kick in the shins to the worst action sequence in a Bond film.

The winner of the Klebbie is Bond meets and beats Bambi and Thumper it received 11 votes to Quantum Air Fight receiving 6 votes.

Lets stay with the Klebbies and give a kick in the shins to worst cue or sound effect added to a scene. The series has many highlights of great cues or effective sound effects. These nominees are times where maybe the best judgement wasn't used.

Here are the nominees:
    • Tarzan yell in OP what should be a tense chase through the jungle with Bond being hunted is undone by Bond screaming the Tarzan yell as he swings from vine to vine. Credit that they at least used the original yell, but wouldn't this been better without the yell?
    • Slide Whistle in TMWTGG a great jaw dropping stunt should stand on it's own, but someone decided a slide whistle would be a good thing to add to the mix. Sadly the slide whistle doesn't enhance, but rather detracts from the stunt.
    • Beach Boys in Bond AVATK another nice piece of action and a brand new sport used for the first time on film gets undermined by a generic band warbling "California Girls". Couldn't they have at least used Surfin' USA? I digress, the point is the music cue here was not needed and shouldn't have been used.
    • Wind Chimes and a Gunbarrel DN dots appear across the scene, we hear radar sounds. Man comes into focus, we hear wind chimes a shot blood and the James Bond theme plays. This is how James Bond is introduced to the screen? A sign of an uneven soundtrack ahead. Why not use the Bond theme for the whole sequence?
    • Tires squeal on sand OHMSS I suppose the silence of Tracy fleeing the beach in the Aston needed something but who thought skidding and squealing sounds would be a good idea? Once heard it's going to usually draw a laugh and undermine the scene!

This is by no means an exhaustive list so please feel free to write in a nominee that you feel has been left off.

Which one deserves the kick in the shins!
    The slide whistle hands down.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'll vote for the Beach Boys in AVTAK
    Tarzan yell. The worst thing ever in a Bond movie.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 19 Posts: 15,454
    The tyre squeal does kind of feel like the dumbest moment in the Bond movies to me in some ways, but I'd have to go for the slide whistle as it does distract from that incredible stunt, fun though it is.
    When I first saw AVTAK on the second day of its release in ;85, when the California Girls came onto the soundtrack I was outraged that the projectionist must've screwed up with the film going on in the other auditorium, which they'd just opened. Turned out the guy in the projection booth was competent and the hard truth set in. At least I had the title song and Walken to take away from the other coming pain. This example and film were why the Dalton era had to happen. Beach Boys is my vote.

California Girls, the TMWTGG slide whistle and OP Tarzan yell are often mentioned in worst moments overall in the series, not just sound. I honestly never noticed the squealing tires on sand until somebody else mentioned it in a book or message board. IF the scene has you gripped it covers such things, whereas with things like California Girls it overwhelms the action and you're groaning at the lameness and not the filmmakers attempt at being cute.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The tyre/tire squeal on sand happens in just about every other movie, just like there seems to be always a Stuka siren whenever some aircraft of whatever kind takes a dive. Dumb, but run of the mill. There's nothing to see here, folks.

In OP, the problem is Bond swinging on vines. It comes natural that there should be a Tarzan yell if one goes this route in the first place.

The DN "problem" is something that I never really noticed or that at least never irritated me.

The pseudo-Beach Boys music is meant to provide comic relief but ends up being cringy, though in a very cringy PTS doesn't make that much of a difference.

That leaves the slide whistle, which I have hated ever since seeing TMWTGG for the first time. What's worse, apparently it was John Barry himself who inserted it in his score. Shows that even John Barry could do wrong here and there. So this is my Klebbie candidate.

TMWTGG, it really does take away from the superb stunt!
    AVTAK is a close second, how fabulous this sequence would have been, had the Bond theme played instead of the Beach Boys hit!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'll defend Beach Boys to my dying day! It's a gag, it's a bit of fun. I don't think it undermines anything. Is it a bit cheesy? Sure, but if you're watching a Roger Moore film you've got to embrace the naffness sometimes! He's a walking cheeseball! :)