And the Bondie goes to...best tender Bond moment in the series page 146

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Amorous in CR would be the couple at Bond's recovery clinic knocking over equipment and falling off the bed. Or later in the hotel before the money must be gotten.

Similarly Bond and Madeleine in the hotel at Matera were strikingly amorous.

To his credit, Bond alone was amorous in QOS with one Bond Girl (before redirecting), but it was not reciprocated by two out of three.

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Amorous is flexible enough term that the CR scene definitely fits the criteria - it shows the first building blocks of their romantic relationship even if it's not acted on in the moment. It's not just about the act of sex.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    CR shower scene. By far my favourite.
    I don't take Bond as excited in that way in the shower. It's not a come-on or setup pursuing future romance. Bond already stated the kind of women he's interested in.

He's truly acting out of compassion, to absolve Vesper of her involvement in the death of the two bad guys. Figuratively taking the blood off her hands in a tender way that will assist her continuing the mission.

edited June 22 Posts: 8,101
    Bond already stated the kind of women he's interested in.

Exactly why the scene has the power that it does in the context of Bond and Vesper's relationship, I feel. They're bonded and the kind of women he's interested in no longer matter.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Agreed with @RichardTheBruce, amorous is more lustful. In which case, I'd add the great scene of Bond getting pulled into the icy shadows by Miranda Frost, putting her back into it just to realize, "Oh, they left ages ago".
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    edited June 22 Posts: 126
    it shows the first building blocks of their romantic relationship even if it's not acted on in the moment. It's not just about the act of sex.

While, yes, amorous and sex are not always the same thing, I think 'building blocks' is stretching the term a bit too far for me!! By that logic, shooting Kara in the rifle not the head in TLD could qualify ;)
    edited June 22 Posts: 8,101
    Simon wrote: »
    it shows the first building blocks of their romantic relationship even if it's not acted on in the moment. It's not just about the act of sex.

While, yes, amorous and sexual are not always the same thing, I think 'building blocks' is stretching the term a bit too far for me!! By that logic, shooting Kara in the rifle not the head in TLD could qualify ;)

That is not even close to being the same thing at all, so I'm not sure you're actually understanding the logic! ;)

Unless we're saying affectionately putting your arms around someone you already know is the same as not murdering someone you don't.
    edited June 22 Posts: 126
    That is not even close to being the same thing at all, so I'm not sure you're actually understanding the logic! ;)

I understand the logic, I just wholly disagree.

'Amorous' has connotations of sex, and sexual desire. Comforting a woman broken by the danger, the sight of violence and death, and the guilt and mental torment that comes with it does not really fit the bill, for me. It's a moment in two peoples journey that sees their relationship become amorous and more, but the scene in question is nothing of the sort. The Kara comparison was wilfully facetious, but it makes the point!

The reason the CR shower scene works for me at all was because in years past, Bond probably would've banged the pain away between the sheets. CR worked because it veered totally away from that.

The FRWL scene is the one they always use to screentest potential Bond actors as well.

So will go with that.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Amorous in CR would be the couple at Bond's recovery clinic knocking over equipment and falling off the bed. Or later in the hotel before the money must be gotten.

Similarly Bond and Madeleine in the hotel at Matera were strikingly amorous.

Bingo.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I googled the definition of "amorous" in the various dictionaries. It seems that the dictionaries are divided on whether the word refers to sexuality or romantic love...or both. Some say the one for British English and the other for American English and the others, vice versa. Check for yourself with Cambridge, Oxford, Collins and whathaveyou.

So if in fact either applies, I definitely vote for the CR shower scene.

As an aside, if it were strictly sexual in meaning, I don't think Gershwin's "'s Wonderful" would have made it past the censors with its lines "You′ve made my life so glamorous. You can't blame me for feeling amorous." Pure rhyming genius.

I understand the logic, I just wholly disagree.

'Amorous' has connotations of sex, and sexual desire. Comforting a woman broken by the danger, the sight of violence and death, and the guilt and mental torment that comes with it does not really fit the bill, for me. It's a moment in two peoples journey that sees their relationship become amorous and more, but the scene in question is nothing of the sort. The Kara comparison was wilfully facetious, but it makes the point!

Would have been far more proper to simply just say you disagree then, perhaps. We have enough smart arses around here as it is.

It has connotations towards desire, sure, as most romantic things do. But as I said above, it's not just about sex. The whole shower scene is staged, scored and performed with an intimacy that suggests it's not limited to themes of grief and torment.

Yes, indeed it was facetious. Seems to be a lot of that going on around here lately!

If it makes things easier, perhaps @thedove might use an alternative word in the post to assist us less enlightened folk.
    Specific to me, for the shower scene I don't take Bond as pursuing or considering a romantic relationship in the slightest.

Coming across her he's truly shocked, not opportunistic.

Would have been far more proper to simply just say you disagree then, perhaps.

Apologies. I'll give an unqualified 'I disagree' next time without any insight into how I come to those conclusions whatsoever. I'll take my insult free, honest thoughts, and keep them to myself and not litter a discussion forum with such rubbish.
    It has connotations towards desire, sure, as most romantic things do. But as I said above, it's not just about sex. The whole shower scene is staged, scored and performed with an intimacy that suggests it's not limited to themes of grief and torment.

Could have been far easier to simply just say you disagree then, perhaps?
    If it makes things easier, perhaps @thedove might use an alternative word in the post to assist us less enlightened folk...

...We have enough smart arses around here as it is.

Quite.

Would have been far more proper to simply just say you disagree then, perhaps.

Apologies. I'll give an unqualified 'I disagree' next time without any insight into how I come to those conclusions whatsoever. I'll take my insult free, honest thoughts, and keep them to myself and not litter a discussion forum with such rubbish.

Insult free, honest thoughts are always welcome. Facetious thoughts, less so. That was the issue.
    Could have been far easier to simply just say you disagree then, perhaps?

See response above. Nothing facetious in what I said.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Oh, come on, people...it's a game [ducks and runs].
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Oh, come on, people...it's a game [ducks and runs].

Fair enough. Far be it from me to argue with you - after all, you have connections. FBI, CIA, god damn Henry Kissinger ;)
    Yeah, you'd better not haul your ass through my parish, BOY!
  • By the scenes on hand, I expected the criteria to be for the most titillating scene or the scene with the most sexual tension etc. Because there are many other scenes with Bond and Tracy that would make the list if this was about romantic love. And the "ahem" implied a more taboo subject than just romance. The thing is, none of scenes above are that sexy either though upon second look. Connery shaking hands with Tania kind of puts the sexiness on hold, but I think that has to take the top spot in terms of sexiest scene.

In terms of romantic, I think Bond and Tracy in the barn (the proposal scene) is probably the highest in terms of that and that also has a sex scene that follows (meaning perhaps it could qualify to both?)
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Okay, I can see the error of my ways. Thanks for the different points of view. To be honest the good old Dove is a bit old fashioned and didn't wish to put sex in the category.

I have decided that the CR scene will be the hospital one where Bond and Vesper have some fast, fresh fun! I will remove amorous from the category and replace it with???? Lovemaking?

Thanks for your discussion points! If any of our voters wish to change their vote based on this new info please feel free. But since this is just for fun, do whatever you want. :)
    So, is this strictly a two-player game? Or

53808649977_28a5b570bc_o.png
    QBranch wrote: »
    So, is this strictly a two-player game? Or

53808649977_28a5b570bc_o.png

That one never fails to make me laugh.
    That one never fails to make me laugh.
    I'm glad we got a more 'silly' comedic approach from Sean. That's the beauty of DAF - it wasn't more of the same.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    All right I shall flap to the stage and hand out the award to the Best Pre-Coital Scene in the series and there will be controversy on this one as we had to change the wording on the Bondie.

The winner is Bond comforts Vesper in the shower from CR. Though I do wonder if we should perhaps run this one again down the road to fix things. Because our winner no longer fits the criteria.

Within the series there has been little moments where Bond is just out there doing Bond things. Lets highlight those unflappable moments within the series. These smaller moments are many so if you have a line or scene where Bond shows his being unflappable feel free to write it in!
    • Swatting away the bullets GE machine gun rattles off barrels and Bond is placing a bomb. Seems like a rather bland bit in the film. However Bond does this nonchalant gesture like this is a minor annoyance. Apparently not in the script must give Pierce for catching the character in a tiny action.
    • Some men don't like to be driven Bond has come ashore and right into the car of Fiona Volpe. As the speed increases Bond shows some signs of nervousness. Fiona enjoys the moment but it is Bond who ends the scene with "No some men don't like to be taken for a ride." Showing that he is indeed in control. Connery strikes the right balance here with some nerves showing but the amour is back on at the end of the scene.
    • I know a restaurant in Karachi he's just sent Whitakers drugs up in smoke, destroyed a Russian air base and landed a jeep out of a plane. Bond then quips "I know a great restaurant in Karachi we can just make dinner." Dalton delivers the line with the right punch and we see a flash of the unflappable British agent.
    • "You've lost something" OHMSS Bond is confronted in the lobby of a hotel by two armed thugs. He turns it into a bit of a joke with "perhaps we can make it a foursome." Our man showing that he's not shaken in the least. Lazenby struck the right tone in this whole scene.
    • Leave their legs free FYEO bound and together and about to kneel hauled Melina states "I didn't think it would end like this." To which Bond replies "We aren't dead yet." Bond delivers the line with such confidence and assuredness that we can't help but think they will get out of this predicament. Moore delivered a different kind of performance in Eyes and this sequence highlights some of his best work!

Which one deserves a Bondie as best unflappable moment in the series?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Connery's "Some men don't like to be taken for a ride", but I think he was at his *most* unflappable best when, later in the same film, Fiona says she's not like the other women in his life that he's slept with; she won't be returning to the side of right and virtue, and Bond calmly replies, "Well, can't win them all"....
  • ProfJoeButcherProfJoeButcher Bless your heart
    I was all about the GE one and then I saw the FYEO one. It's gotta be that. Probably Roger's coolest line.
    Great topic. One of the things that made me love the Bond character and films is his cool and confidence when in pressure situations.

I can think of a few others, some that don't even need lines. There's Connery's look at Boitier after he shoves the grandfather clock at him, like you can do better in TB; Connery's unimpressed look at the old lady at the guard shack who gives him a smile in GF; Dalton's you're full of it glare at Koskov after the Bladens safe house debriefing in TLD; then there's Dalton's "That shouldn't be difficult" line and glance at henchman Perez in Sanchez's office in LTK.

Of the above choices, the TB line is good, but not nearly an unflappable moment as when he insults Fiona Volpe while held at gunpoint. Dalton's Karachi line is fine, but just doesn't come naturally from him as it would from Moore especially or Connery.

I like Lazenby's "Really?" response more than the foursome line. He comes off well here. Moore's "We're not dead yet" line is good, another example of Bond's confidence even when facing impossible situations and my runner-up pick.

My clear favorite is GE swatting away the bullets, although I felt it was like swatting away pesky insects it was that cool. Although I'm neither a big GE or Brosnan fan, this moment really stood out and still does.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    I will also surprisingly go with FYEO here.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 26 Posts: 15,454
    If it's lack of flapping, I immediately think of something like Roger calmly sitting in the van whilst Jaws tears it apart, mildly taking the mick out of Anya.
    Or I don't know if it quite counts, but Craig strolling across the rooftops at the opening of Spectre is a cool moment which shows not much phases him.