ARGYLLE - Matthew Vaughn/Henry Cavill spy movie series

1235»

Comments

• MakeshiftPythonMakeshiftPython “Baja?!”
    I wasn’t a fan of KINGSMAN, and that was the last movie of his that I saw. I realized that the only other movie I liked of his after his first film with Craig was X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. I was intrigued to see what ARGYLLE was when it was announced, as that is his first non-KINGSMAN film in a decade! Whoops.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I wasn’t a fan of KINGSMAN, and that was the last movie of his that I saw. I realized that the only other movie I liked of his after his first film with Craig was X-MEN: FIRST CLASS. I was intrigued to see what ARGYLLE was when it was announced, as that is his first non-KINGSMAN film in a decade! Whoops.

First Class and Kingsman are great films in my book. I like Layer Cake as well. But Argylle is nuts.
    I decided to try to give it a shot, but by the time it got to the train scene it lost me. I just find Vaighn’s style of action unwatchable with that weird technique of having the camera sync tilting to the action of someone falling or punching. And holy shit, was that CGI atrocious at the beginning. Even worse than DIE ANOTHER DAY.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is horrible CG. Which is odd because something like First Class even had studio scenes supposed to be outside and made it work- it's a much better-looking film.
    edited June 5 Posts: 8,134
    FIRST CLASS still looking good is probably due to a combination of being shot on 35mm film and the producers behind it already made X-Men films for a decade by that point (though WOLVERINE ORIGINS has very poor CGI, maybe they just gave up on that one).

A big challenge with modern films being shot on digital is that without proper lighting and post production it can sometimes end up looking like a flatly lit cheap production. This especially has some of the worst green screen I’ve seen in a modern movie.

But like I said, not all digitally shot films can look bad. SKYFALL looked amazing and the John Wick films, which really riff on the visuals of SF, do a great job of carrying that over in their films.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I like how Vaughn tries to frame it as critics being “offended”, as if it’s their issue and he did nothing wrong. Look man, people with the best intentions sometimes make bad movies. I’m sure nobody thought DIE ANOTHER DAY was bad when making it.

At the time this movie came out I revisited LAYER CAKE, a movie I hadn’t seen in over a decade. I remember liking the movie a lot back then, so much that I thought he should direct a Bond film with Craig. Rewatching it, it dawned on me that part of what made it good was that Vaughn was working under a much lower budget and therefore was not giving into his bad instincts that later movies would grant him. Hollywood should just stop giving him these $100m projects and do something more on the scale of LAYER CAKE.

He made The Kingsmen, which is a superb film IMO. And after that one, I completely agree with you, @MakeshiftPython .

Even the first Kingsmen was under 82 million apparently.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It seems that Argylle didn't cost its reported 200 million. That's what Apple paid for it. Vaughn claims the film cost a lot less to make. He didn't write this film either. (He co-wrote First Class and The Kingsman.) So I haven't fully given up on him yet.