OLYMPICS 2024, LIVE......... from PARIS

2»

Comments

Haven't been able to follow the olympics as closely as I would have liked, but the coverage has been more than enough to keep me updated on results…and all the controversies, of course.

The Norwegian women's handball team winning the handball competition with several of the stars in the squad now retiring (or are very likely to), was one of the highlights.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    There's this news about Jordan Chiles being told by IOC to return her Bronze medal after an appeal, sorry I don't know about that news, does anyone know what that appeal might be?
  • SIS_HQ wrote: »
    There's this news about Jordan Chiles being told by IOC to return her Bronze medal after an appeal, sorry I don't know about that news, does anyone know what that appeal might be?

I believe the 4th place athlete appealed and she got her score raised as a result, knocking Chiles off the podium. I don't think that appeal involved Chiles at all
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    SIS_HQ wrote: »

I believe the 4th place athlete appealed and she got her score raised as a result, knocking Chiles off the podium. I don't think that appeal involved Chiles at all

Thank you, well, I haven't watched the game, so I can't have any say regarding the situation 😅, but in regards of the appeals, hoping that some other players who felt they're cheated may also speak, particularly those in the boxing match (two of our athletes we've felt got robbed of another Bronze or Silver/Gold medal due to some anomaly in the ring), the saddest part was, they've never appealed for it and just kinda let it go, but we've all moved on.

And by the way, in comparison with the opening ceremony, what does anyone think of the closing ceremony of this Olympic season? Is it an improvement? Or a worse? Or just fine?
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 12 Posts: 7,054
    I didn't see the closing ceremony, but I'm told our fellow Belgian Angèle, an artist whose work I really enjoy, performed one song at the ceremony. I'll check the footage later.

Delighted that Italy, Belgium and Czechia did well this year.

Even more delighted to learn that San Marino, even though missing out on a medal this year, remains the nation with the most Summer Olympics medals per capita: approximately one medal per 11.600 inhabitants.
    Why wait ?

Myself, I found that closing ceremony to be dull and boring. To the point where I went to bed at the time the officials did all their speeches, missing the end of the show with Tom Cruise's stunt (a bit flawed, apparently, he couldn't get the leg packet containing the Stars and Stripes open), and "My Way". I much preferred the closing ceremony at the London Olympics in 2012, but then, I'm a fan of the Monty Python.

Now, it's time to check the balance of those games. I'm very happy for our athletes results. We managed to do better than in Tokyo, and there is a lot of moments that will be legendary : Léon Marchand's performance, Teddy Riner, the BMX team. But the most important thing is this : despite everyone in France saying that the Games would be a disaster, despite all the controversies, we did it ! We managed to give an event that would make any country proud. These games will be hard to beat, that's for sure. But now, it's back to reality, I'm afraid.
    What happened the first time Paris hosted the Olympics was... weird :