OLYMPICS 2024, LIVE......... from PARIS

007InAction007InAction Australia
edited July 27 in General Discussion Posts: 2,443
olympiclogo2.gif

What sports are you watching, or not, from the postponed 2020 OLYMPICS in Tokyo ?

I'm enjoying most of them ATM, except the Skateboarding and surfing.

Comments

• marcmarc Universal Exports
    Nice thread idea. Unfortunately, I'm really late here. I hardly watched more than a few minutes here and there (because of the time shift), but I read livetickers about quite some events, especially soccer, cycling and table tennis.
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,443
    The OLYMPICS were a good distraction from this pandemic for a couple of weeks.
    Most sporting events are.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Really enjoyed the Olympics this year.

Loved the Italian athletics surprises and was thrilled to see San Marino grab their first medals ever. They have now the most medals per capita in the Summer Olympics!

My own Belgium did fairly well too. We've never been the most successful in events such as these, so 7 medals among which 3 golds isn't to bad.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    The enthusiasm for the Olympics on this forum has been remarkable :))
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I missed this thread , damn. I love the Olympics and I'd take up Taekwondo if I could lift my leg up high enough.
    edited August 2021 Posts: 2,443
    NicNac wrote: »
    I missed this thread , damn. I love the Olympics and I'd take up Taekwondo if I could lift my leg up high enough.

Have you considered Judo ? :)>-
    And no, it's not a religion........ :)) It might be in japan ?
  • Missed this thread as well.

I've followed these Olympics closely, especially Canada's and Russia's athletes. No Olympic Games are without some ugly moments, but I enjoy the surprises and watching the best athletes in the world excel in their sports. Really enjoyed the artistic swimming, volleyball, and track competitions.
    Some remarkable olympic enthusiasm here recently, indeed. 🙂

Picking up Taekwondo sounds interesting. Just for kicks.
    You certainly get your kicks doing Taekwondo :)>-
    Taekwondo schools are doing kickstarter business. 🙂

Wow, most medals per capita for San Marino! They should change the medal table accordingly. Wouldn't go down too well with China, though, I guess.
    Maybe we can change the topic title to 'Paris 2024' or something like that. I wanted to start a new topic, but it seems we already have this one....

Anyway, loved the opening ceremony. Very impressive.
    Didn't watch all that much of the opening ceremony, but I liked what I saw. I haven't watched many opening ceremonies before, so I have little to compare it with though!
    Didn't watch all that much of the opening ceremony, but I liked what I saw. I haven't watched many opening ceremonies before, so I have little to compare it with though!

Out of the ones that I have seen, that's from Sydney 2000 onwards, this one was definitely the best. Unsurprisingly so, since it was held in the historical centre of Paris, while usually the whole show is restricted to the stadium...

Loved all the French music and the Eurodance along the way too. I have a soft spot for that kind of stuff :)
    GoldenGun wrote: »

Out of the ones that I have seen, that's from Sydney 2000 onwards, this one was definitely the best. Unsurprisingly so, since it was held in the historical centre of Paris, while usually the whole show is restricted to the stadium...

Loved all the French music and the Eurodance along the way too. I have a soft spot for that kind of stuff :)

Indeed, you couldn't ask for a better location. I was looking just as much at the buildings and architecture as the ceremony itself, haha! Loved the eurodance elements as well; there were several songs played that I had completely forgot about.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I liked the idea of showing something of the city, but that was a really boring and poorly-directed show, really small scale a lot of the time too. They did a piece which was supposed to be celebrating decades of EU music and had one little barge with about 30 dancers on it..? There was a long drawn-out sequence where plastic statues slowly appeared... this is not a dynamic show. The mechanical horse was one of the coolest things, but then we had to watch it canter up the entire river for ten minutes or so, in which time the impact really diminishes.
    Really bad, sorry.
    edited July 27 Posts: 2,443

Only watched some highlights of the opening ceremony as i fell asleep at the 3am start, and it looked quite boring.
    Might watch the 4 hour replay later ?
    mtm wrote: »
    I liked the idea of showing something of the city, but that was a really boring and poorly-directed show, really small scale a lot of the time too. They did a piece which was supposed to be celebrating decades of EU music and had one little barge with about 30 dancers on it..? There was a long drawn-out sequence where plastic statues slowly appeared... this is not a dynamic show. The mechanical horse was one of the coolest things, but then we had to watch it canter up the entire river for ten minutes or so, in which time the impact really diminishes.
    Really bad, sorry.

I didn't mind the pace. I can look at beautiful shots of Paris' historical centre all day long without getting bored :p In any case it's more interesting than making tours around a stadium.

Regarding the statues I also didn't mind that that went slower, it gave me time to read who they were and what they accomplished. Then again, I'm into history so that may have helped.

I would agree that it wasn't perfect, though it was a tricky thing to direct for sure and the weather unfortunately did not help.
    Things I liked : The statues, the mechanical horse, the song from Les Misérables, Juliette Armanet singing John Lennon's "Imagine"and of course Céline Dion's wonderful interprétation of "L'Hymne à l'Amour" (I didn't think you could improve on Édith Piaf, but she did).

Things I didn't like : the severed head of Marie Antoinette singing "Ça ira". No. Just no.

And now, let the games begin, and let the best athletes win. Although, to tell you the truth, I don't want the best athletes to win. I want France to win ;)
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    I liked that this Olympic show focused on the beauty of Paris like the sceneries, aerial views, arts, cultures (the Louis Vuitton luggage making, the literature scene, at least the first half of the montage into French culture), and the setting which was the River Siene, and of course the recognition of those female historical figures in France and the mechanical horse, the rendition of Imagine (very relevant), and of course, the torch lighting and Celine Dion's powerful performance and I was moved by it, honorable mention to the showing of the Olympics' history, it's great.

But.....

What I'm not a fan of: (Well, mostly those that happened in the second half, or starting from the afternoon), and those distractions or is it commercials like those dancing acts (all of them), the whole fashion runway scene, I felt that the minions were unnecessary and the stealing of Mona Lisa mini story in it, not even a fan of Lady Gaga's performance, like it slowed the pacing, they've turned the Olympics opening ceremony into a show of some random acts, the severed head of Marie Antoinette singing and that whole performance, and what are those cycling and skateboarding exhibitions in Medieval clothings? This is where they've baked a cake and eat it too kind of thing, it's all too much and even those unnecessary things needs to be in the setup, they're not straightforward.

Overall, it's okay, amazed at the scenery of Paris, and the feminist message it carried, but overall, it's too long and there are sections that could be cut to make the pacing more quicker.

6.7/10
    Breakdancing is an event at these olympics ........ :)]
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I'm never really sure about any of the disciplines which are effectively just dancing and have to be judged: floor gymnastics, dressage, even diving to some extent. They're not the sportiest form of sport to me, but if those are in then why not breakdancing?
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Rope pulling/tug of war once was an Olympic sport, as we saw in some of the short films! I would watch that.
    edited July 28 Posts: 2,443
    They had a lot of now discontinued events 100+ years ago didn't they ?
    Here are some:
    Hot Air Balloon Racing
    Live Pigeon Shooting
    Pistol Dueling
    Painting
    Croquet
    Polo
    Motor Boating
    Cannon Shooting
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Rope pulling/tug of war once was an Olympic sport, as we saw in some of the short films! I would watch that.

I'm for this!
    They had a lot of now discontinued events 100+ years ago didn't they ?
    Here are some:
    Hot Air Balloon Racing
    Live Pigeon Shooting
    Pistol Dueling
    Painting
    Croquet
    Polo
    Motor Boating
    Cannon Shooting

I'd liked to see these games again, also Lacrosse, Rackets and Rugby Union too.

I'd also liked to see Racing like Air Race and Auto Race making it to Olympics too.

I don't know how breakdancing made the Olympics, I get that it's physical, but it's more art than a sport (musicality is also a part of the criteria), so a dancer now could be labeled an athlete? Then why not include ballroom dancing? Salsa? Flamenco and others?

And I do get why painting was removed from the competition, it's art not sport they should have a competition of their own, just like E-sports (Electronic sports) does.
    As a country that usually ticks off at 7 or 8 medals, it's been a superb first day for Belgium already with one gold and one bronze medal. Unsurprisingly, cycling did it for us.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Nice to see Australia second on the medal tally.
    4 Gold
    2 Silver

Good start from the Aussies.
    Paris 2024 is really killing it locationwise, fencing is being held in the Grand Palais!

7197e4330e2423a0defa336d9699fe70
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I didn't see any of it but I heard that the Opening Ceremony was in Seine (or insane).
    Belgium's Remco Evenepoel became the first cyclist ever to win both the time trial and the road race at the same Olympics. Historical achievement.
    Well, it's already a closing ceremony today.....

There were so many controversies happened in this Olympic season, boxing notwithstanding and some other Political issues that are so abundant compared to the previous Olympics.

Maybe this closing ceremony could redeem them? Let's see.