new 007 car

Comments

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited June 17 Posts: 1,602
    Had another meeting with Aston Martin at its Q location in Manhattan this morning for work. One senior guy said he couldn't wait for the Bond team to approach them again, and the more-senior guy shot him a knowing look... just saying.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Fingers crossed!
    edited June 25 Posts: 1,602
    There will be relevant news regarding a potential obvious candidate for "new Bond car" tentatively expected for late summer. All I can say.
  • meshypushymeshypushy Ireland
    LucknFate wrote: »
    There will be relevant news regarding a potential obvious candidate for "new Bond car" tentatively expected for late summer. All I can say.
    Very exciting - keep us posted!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

That IS good news, as I had the impression they'd completely given up on Bond all together. Looking foreward to what they're going to do. And preferably, a car that's actually also going on sale. I didn't like the DB10 for not actually existing in the real world in that way.
    To be clear: It's a brand with strong association to Bond already, but there's zero evidence of any direct Bond involvement. I'm just saying, it's a time frame where there's opportunity, and there will be obvious questions of this car's potential.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    New Vanquish I guess.
    When the guesses come it's time to Vanish.
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    edited June 25 Posts: 152
    I know the '1 of 1' dictates it wont be THE Aston Victor, but if it was heard at Q Manhattan, be nice to think it could be along those lines.

But yeah - Vanqish more realistic.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 25 Posts: 16,000
    Simon wrote: »
    I know the '1 of 1' dictates it wont be THE Aston Victor, but if it was heard at Q Manhattan, be nice to think it could be along those lines.

They're making 110 Valours, and those are very similar to the Victor.

But yeah - Vanqish more realistic.

They'll be unveiling it soon, surprisingly it has a new V12 - which kind of makes all of those endless Top Gear pieces where Clarkson would always proclaim this or that car to be the last of its V12 kind look a bit silly.
    Rumours are they'll launch at Monterey, which is mid August.
    mtm wrote: »

I have a quiet rage against that car after they wouldn't let mere mortals see the damned thing at Goodwood last year. Saturday was cancelled due to weather, and on Sunday they hid the bloody thing for VIP's! I obviously didnt go to FOS just for the Aston, but after spending all Saturday wandering Portsmouth in sideways rain, it was a little galling to be given the middle finger by Aston on the Sunday after they hyped the thing up before the event.

Does look good though - looks like it has little bit of the 90's Virage 'gentleman thug' in it's design, which is a good thing.

More news today very relevant to this discussion. Just wait a few hours lol.
    More news today very relevant to this discussion. Just wait a few hours lol.

If it's the rumoured track or drop-top variant of the Valour, I will be a bit disappointed :D
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I have a quiet rage against that car after they wouldn't let mere mortals see the damned thing at Goodwood last year.

Oh yeah, I had exactly the same reaction: luckily we booked for Sunday but when I asked the guy with the Astons in the supercar paddock where the Valour was I couldn't believe it.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 25 Posts: 16,000
    Ah okay

'For Your Sins' isn't a bad Bond title.
    I took that as a very clear reference to Skyfall. Idk. I can ask.
    DR7BW1UXkAAtLGc.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Doesn't feel unrelated, does it.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    It's a nice car, but it does look a little 'too much' like a Ford Mustang to me.
    Something about the front end. A little to muscle car and not quite enough AM.
    Benny wrote: »
    It's a nice car, but it does look a little 'too much' like a Ford Mustang to me.

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't be wholly surprised if the recent gen Mustangs took a little bit of inspiration from their (then) stablemates and the aforementioned Virage type cars.

882a06b19697a3cd3e5cdb0a3e8b763b16686bbe.jpg

cd02-fm144-1605018373.jpg

aston_martin_valiant_front_three_quarter.jpg

Aston's repertoire of muscular cars seemed go once the DB7 launched. I have nothing but praise for the direction Ian Callum took Aston in, but I do quite like the return to this look, even if it is very Mustang-y at the moment.

The rear wing on the Valiant though does look a bit too Hot Wheels for me. I don't hate it, but think it would look better without.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I guess the original Vanquish was in the 'muscle' style to some extent.

To be honest I've been less keen on the way their DB cars have been going towards that: I like the DBs to be elegant, but I thought the DB12 was a really great update of the 11 and I'm onboard with that one.
    I guess the original Vanquish was in the 'muscle' style to some extent.

To be honest I've been less keen on the way their DB cars have been going towards that: I like the DBs to be elegant, but I thought the DB12 was a really great update of the 11 and I'm onboard with that one.

Agreed - the Vanq had elements of muscle, but like many retired sports stars, the muscle had turned to fat a bit, IMO because it needed to fit the Brand built by the DB7.

Aston is a bit unique in that even though it is a small volume manufacturer, it has a decent dual identity. DB's should be elegant, svelte, and look like they could waft you across Europe to a yacht moored at Monaco. But the Virage, AMV8, etc, were the sort of cars that looked like they were made for people who wanted something a bit more rogueish, a bit off the beaten track. If the AMV8 was renamed the Ranulph Fiennes it would probably explain what I am trying (miserably) to get across.

And in the 1990 Vantage, they somehow managed to blend the two. It's by far my favourite Aston.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 26 Posts: 16,000
    Yes it's funny really, speaking of elegant and muscle cars, in NTTD we have Bond driving the V8 from the 80s, which is probably the closest the films have ever got to Fleming's Bond's car habits. A big, grey, brutish, British 'selfish' bruiser of a car which isn't brand new but a few decades old. Apart from it being worth several hundreds of thousands of pounds, it's probably what Fleming's 007 would drive now. He didn't really go in for elegant cars.

I could see him in a '90 Vantage, yes. I always thought the front of it looked like a train.
    edited June 26 Posts: 152
    Apart from it being worth several hundreds of thousands of pounds

Surely not... that would be obscene. Ridiculous. Outrageous. Totally absurd for that car to be worth THAT much.

v8.png

Sweet, merciful crap. I knew classic car prices were up, but good lord thats a lot. Especially in that colour...

Do like how they knocked £150 off to keep it under £400k - wouldn't want it to look too expensive now, would they? :D
    A non-gadget laden Aston Martin 90's Vantage could be a good Bond car for future installments.

Benny wrote: »

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't be wholly surprised if the recent gen Mustangs took a little bit of inspiration from their (then) stablemates and the aforementioned Virage type cars.

882a06b19697a3cd3e5cdb0a3e8b763b16686bbe.jpg

cd02-fm144-1605018373.jpg

aston_martin_valiant_front_three_quarter.jpg

Aston's repertoire of muscular cars seemed go once the DB7 launched. I have nothing but praise for the direction Ian Callum took Aston in, but I do quite like the return to this look, even if it is very Mustang-y at the moment.

The rear wing on the Valiant though does look a bit too Hot Wheels for me. I don't hate it, but think it would look better without.

thanks for beating me to it. I was suggesting. It to be next Bondmobile to replace the DB10
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That grille is far too big, and those wheels, makes the car look like a toy. This one looks too aggressive.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just go retro & give the new Bond a DBS.
    edited July 1 Posts: 1,602
    That grille is far too big, and those wheels, makes the car look like a toy. This one looks too aggressive.

It's designed and built for a Formula 1 driver. Asking or expecting it to be subtle is just asking for disappointment.

Aston are proudly telling anyone who will listen that they do "hyper GT" cars now, exclusively. That will mean big aero and cooling, so don't expect the look to go very subtle anytime soon. I think we are fully in the motorsport, second-muscle era at Aston.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 1 Posts: 16,000

It's designed and built for a Formula 1 driver. Asking or expecting it to be subtle is just asking for disappointment.

Yes it's a race car and is supposed to evoke this, which wasn't exactly going for elegance either. It's supposed to be aggressive.

photo-28-01-2014-22-12-43.jpg