new 007 car

12346»

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 1 Posts: 13,978
    And that's why I don't like it, I have never been interested in F1. I stopped finding Astons appealing, when they started adding all those slashes/angles and the chonky grille. The QOS DBS was the last beautiful Aston, IMO.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited July 1 Posts: 16,000
    It’s just what racing cars look like because they have to. Form follows function. If it’s not to your taste that’s fine, but they look like that for a reason.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    And that's why I don't like it, I have never been interested in F1. I stopped finding Astons appealing, when they started adding all those slashes/angles and the chonky grille. The QOS DBS was the last beautiful Aston, IMO.

Agreed.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited July 2 Posts: 1,602
    chrisisall wrote: »

Agreed.

Just wait and see what the new Vanquish looks like by next year. I haven't a clue yet, but there's a chance it might be a little more relaxed. Plus, you have the DBS:
    Aston_Martin-DBS_Superleggera_007_Edition-2021-1280-01.jpg

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    What I liked about the Astons most of the time was their aesthetics and the impression that they were fast, but decidedly not aggressive and not butt-ugly like, say, Lamborghinis after the 60s. No cars designed for proletarians buying them from drug money to show off among their gang members. In other words, refined, as a car that Bond would wish to drive should be. But that seems to be a thing of the past.
    Again, we're still talking about a 38-run car. Inspired by a 100-run car, inspired by a 1-run car. If you don't like, it's fine, it's not the future direction of the main line.

If you take issue with the recently-ended DBS and new V-8 Vantage redesign, then yeah, I get that you have a problem. But to me, those main production cars are still far more reserved then the admittedly and intentionally experimental limited series cars.

I'm pretty suspicious all that's happening here is Aston is done letting firms like Zagato make money on limited edition when they're perfectly capable of doing it themselves.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I was never that keen on the DBS; it never felt fully resolved to me. It looked like a modded version of another car rather than something in its own right. The new Vantage and DB12 look great to me: I think the Vantage is a brilliant update of the old shape.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I love the CR-QOS DBS, it was like a sharper Vanquish, to my eyes. I thought the Vanquish was perfect, and then the DBS improved on that. Vanquish looks rather minimalistic in comparison.

For many years I've said that that DBS was the last wholly successful design and everything else after merely trying to ape that design or build upon it (really not a fan of side vents connecting to the wheel arch). The DB10 and Valhalla look beautiful from most angles but perhaps not all.

That orange Aston back a page looks very nice to me, but come on, 'Valiant'? That was your grandparent's car.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I love the CR-QOS DBS, it was like a sharper Vanquish, to my eyes. I thought the Vanquish was perfect, and then the DBS improved on that. Vanquish looks rather minimalistic in comparison.

For many years I've said that that DBS was the last wholly successful design and everything else after merely trying to ape that design or build upon it (really not a fan of side vents connecting to the wheel arch). The DB10 and Valhalla look beautiful from most angles but perhaps not all.

That orange Aston back a page looks very nice to me, but come on, 'Valiant'? That was your grandparent's car.

Valiant is one of the WWII UK bomber names, hence its choice. So was Victor and so was Vulcan, both also Astons.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I love the CR-QOS DBS, it was like a sharper Vanquish, to my eyes.

Yes I like that DBS; the recent Superleggera one not so much.
    The DB10 and Valhalla look beautiful from most angles but perhaps not all.

I think it's a shame they didn't go a bit more down the DB10 design route.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I like that it's a one-off for Spectre. Very exclusive vibe. From memory, they made just 10 of them?
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    LucknFate wrote: »
    Again, we're still talking about a 38-run car. Inspired by a 100-run car, inspired by a 1-run car. If you don't like, it's fine, it's not the future direction of the main line.

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but limited runs do often end up being a gauge of wider public opinion, so could be where is Aston is heading for its design identity. Maybe reigned in a bit, but still in that direction. Not that it bothers me, I quite like it. Nowhere near as flabby as the 2002 Vanquish, not as bland (in context...) as the 2020 Vantage, not as cynical as the Cygnet!

Simon wrote: »

Just playing Devil's Advocate, but limited runs do often end up being a gauge of wider public opinion, so could be where is Aston is heading for its design identity. Maybe reigned in a bit, but still in that direction. Not that it bothers me, I quite like it. Nowhere near as flabby as the 2002 Vanquish, not as bland (in context...) as the 2020 Vantage, not as cynical as the Cygnet!

I get it. I went to school for marketing and work in auto journalism so I'm prodding for good reason, just very curious about different viewpoints and what works and why etc.

The Valiant was totally done by Aston's internal Q custom shop and Fernando Alonso allegedly, hence a new 3D rear subframe, carbon wheel covers, full carbon body, and an integrated massive rear wing. Those will never fall to standard production cars simply because it wouldn't be smart when you can upcharge for it on special cars (and build them faster without it).

You will see more 3D printed and metal-extruded components that look alien etc. bc of modern computer modeling and crash test composure, it will get very interesting very fast on cars like Astons and Ferraris. But the surface stuff will still be lightweight alloys mixed with carbon details or panels, only the extreme models should have gaping mouths and flared edges and wings.

Marek Reichman, the guy responsible for the DBS, (updated) Vanquish, and DB10 all being hailed as subtle, is still in charge. But as I mentioned before, the brand push is to only sell Hyper GT vehicles, comfortable but powerful, so there will be a certain need for cooling (big nose) and downforce (rear wing). We'll see but I'm very excited about it.

I do think the nose design of the Valiant is ridiculous on first impression, agreed, but when I learn it's to keep the weight over the front axle as minimal as possible, it makes sense that it's just a giant hole. I do think they could have done something more interesting with graphics or a different 3D effect, but I see what they're going for with the current design, and people really did not like the early DB10-inspired Vantage design that also had a gaping open hole for a grille. So they didn't go that exact route again for good reason.

I would almost promise that the lack of identity in the Valiant is almost a resetting of the slate - minimize the Aston to its most recognizable identity while offering the most performance - and the scale both sliders back from there to get to a fresh identity. Stay tuned.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

Valiant is one of the WWII UK bomber names, hence its choice. So was Victor and so was Vulcan, both also Astons.

Not WW2, Cold War, beeing the V-bombers. If you'd had those in 1944 the war would've lasted a lot shorter. ;-)

Anyway, interesting discussion between all of you. The 'thug-gentlemanscar', a bit shout-out agressive with style, vs the elegance and hidden power. Indeed, both are very much Aston Martin throughout it's history, and you can say the same of Bond (books). The Bentley he has isn't a real one, but take a Bentley from the 1920's and you'll see a do-or-die race monster. Then he get's a DB4, a far more stylish and elegant car, with enough oomph to play with the best of them.

Personally I love especially the DB9 (2016 facelift) Virage (2013, basically the DB9 of 2016) and the Vanquish 2. These are the embodyment of the elegant car line. But I can't help just loving the eighties' V8 as well. The nineties to my mind went too far, too 'Japanese' if you will. I wasn't much of a fan of the huge grill design at all, but yesterday a DB12 drove by and I must admit it looks astonishing. It oozes power and exclusivety.

The only thing I regret is that the more exclusive line (the V-bombers) don't look like you can use then on b-roads at all. And I think GT's, shoud always be able to do that as well. Roads with lesser surfaces a bit off the highway. I don't think these 'hyper GT's' can do that, they seem to be made for the track.

Not WW2, Cold War, beeing the V-bombers. If you'd had those in 1944 the war would've lasted a lot shorter. ;-)

Anyway, interesting discussion between all of you. The 'thug-gentlemanscar', a bit shout-out agressive with style, vs the elegance and hidden power. Indeed, both are very much Aston Martin throughout it's history, and you can say the same of Bond (books). The Bentley he has isn't a real one, but take a Bentley from the 1920's and you'll see a do-or-die race monster. Then he get's a DB4, a far more stylish and elegant car, with enough oomph to play with the best of them.

Personally I love especially the DB9 (2016 facelift) Virage (2013, basically the DB9 of 2016) and the Vanquish 2. These are the embodyment of the elegant car line. But I can't help just loving the eighties' V8 as well. The nineties to my mind went too far, too 'Japanese' if you will. I wasn't much of a fan of the huge grill design at all, but yesterday a DB12 drove by and I must admit it looks astonishing. It oozes power and exclusivety.

The only thing I regret is that the more exclusive line (the V-bombers) don't look like you can use then on b-roads at all. And I think GT's, shoud always be able to do that as well. Roads with lesser surfaces a bit off the highway. I don't think these 'hyper GT's' can do that, they seem to be made for the track.

Cold War, WWII.5, tomato tomato. haha

Good thought about ride height and I asked the very same at the reveal. The Valiant at least rides at a very "normal" height with minimal protrusions to scrape. I noted it and talked to the team about it, it's very much an every day car (in that regard) and they didn't want to do a "heavy" nose-lift system nor a heavy adjustable air suspension like some exotics do. It would be lower if Alonso wasn't planning on showing it to the public. It's the same V-12 Aston they've been selling with lighter frame and body components and better aero, but the same or very similar ride height I'd imagine. It's a track car you can drive home. They were not interested in managing a system like the Ferrari FXXK programs (where owners don't even really own the track-only car, it sits in a track garage).
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Simon wrote: »

I don't think they're likely to go far down the Victor/Valour route as it's ultimately a retro-inspired design, not really a path for the future.
    mtm wrote: »
    I don't think they're likely to go far down the Victor/Valour route as it's ultimately a retro-inspired design, not really a path for the future.

Far? No. Inspired by? I still think its possible. The current line-up is still easily traceable to Callum's DB7, which itself was the rebirth of a DB line that had been dead for 22 years, so another retro-infused branch of non-limited edition cars doesn't feel too outlandish to me, especially if they want to differentiate the delayed EV range from the current ICE cars.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Top Gear Mag have just added a nice vid driving the Valour

Oof, that lined up rear view of it is... challenging.
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    It may just be sour grapes, but I wouldn't be seen dead in most of the current lineup of luxury cars (not just Astons). I long for the restrained elegance of a DB5 or an E-Type.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think that the current Porsches manage to not be too aggressive or silly-looking (yes, there are the hot GT3 or GT4 version which have all the bodykits, but the more standard road models look more simple).
  • George_KaplanGeorge_Kaplan Being chauffeured by Tibbett
    I think that the current Porsches manage to not be too aggressive or silly-looking (yes, there are the hot GT3 or GT4 version which have all the bodykits, but the more standard road models look more simple).

Yes I agree about Porsche. They don't tend to restyle their cars much so that's probably why they come off better. Of course, the 911 is the yuppiemobile so I wouldn't want to be seen in that either.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    edited July 8 Posts: 8,932

Yes I agree about Porsche. They don't tend to restyle their cars much so that's probably why they come off better. Of course, the 911 is the yuppiemobile so I wouldn't want to be seen in that either.

I have the feeling that at least here in Germany, the 911 has replaced the Mercedes SL as the go-to car for white-haired retired chief physicians, lawyers etc., the car they always wanted to have but never had time to buy before retirement. It's been a long time that I've seen someone actually young at the wheel of a 911. That being said, I find their consistency of design amazing and commendable. You can still see the vibes of the original 911 (originally called the 901 when it came out in '63) and even the 356 in today's 911s.
    I really can't say much, but I was at Aston Martin's Q dealer in Manhattan this morning and Jeffrey Wright was there. He is obviously not directly tied to Bond (likely) going forward, but I was told that he was there for potentially more than just buying a car, whatever that means.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I really can't say much, but I was at Aston Martin's Q dealer in Manhattan this morning and Jeffrey Wright was there. He is obviously not directly tied to Bond (likely) going forward, but I was told that he was there for potentially more than just buying a car, whatever that means.

Commercial probably