Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    He and Cruise are the only ones returning as far as we know. Other cast members should be announced soon. February is drawing nearer.
    I am excited Pegg was brilliant in 3 and Ghost Protcol glad he is coming back for a 5th entry.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Happy to hear Pegg is returning. I really hope Ving Rhames and Paula Patton return. Wouldn't be upset if Renner doesn't.
  • Risico007 wrote:
    I am excited Pegg was brilliant in 3 and Ghost Protcol glad he is coming back for a 5th entry.

For myself, I can't even express how tired I am of those "funny" Sidekicks, whose only reason d'etre is to highlight how brave and clever the hero of the movie is. To me it feels that these constellations were boring around the time they made this Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes series, which must be at least sixty years old.
    @Matt_Helm, well if Ving Rhames returns, there'll be two, so you can just go ahead and avoid the film when it releases.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited November 2013 Posts: 16,345
    A movie with Cruise, Rhames and Pegg by themselves would be perfect.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I don't think Benji is a basic "sidekick" character. He has grown into a valuable, sharp and entertaining part of the group, so much so that he would be terribly missed if he wasn't in the films any longer. I for one can't wait to see Pegg again; the man is comedic brilliance, and it would be great if Benji really showed his tough side in #5. Hopefully we get Ving back on full appointment too, to get the crew back together again for real.
    I don't think Benji is a basic "sidekick" character. He has grown into a valuable, sharp and entertaining part of the group, so much so that he would be terribly missed if he wasn't in the films any longer. I for one can't wait to see Pegg again; the man is comedic brilliance, and it would be great if Benji really showed his tough side in #5. Hopefully we get Ving back on full appointment too, to get the crew back together again for real.

I feel like they hinted at Benji becoming even more active in the field (in terms of fighting/shooting/etc.) at the end of 'Ghost Protocol.' The man saved the day, for crying out loud! I think if Ving returns, they could set up some really great banter between the two. Kind of a friendly skill-comparison/"I'm better than you" type of situation.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Don't forget 'Jurassic World,' 'Ted 2,' 'The Fantastic Four,' 'Terminator,' 'Ant-Man,' 'Assassin's Creed,' 'Mockingjay,' 'Live By Night,' and the WoW movie. Granted, I'm not excited about all these films, but I'm sure they'll all be very big.

Add taken 3 to the list too.
    @doubleogo, very nice, I had no idea that was coming out in 2015. In fact, I haven't really heard anything about it lately. I think a few murmurs of information cropped up a month or so after the film released, but that's been it. If it isn't terrible like the second, I'll see it. Didn't care for the setting, bad CGI, mediocre kills (where did the brutal hand-to-hand fights go? Seemed like a huge gun fest to me), and terrible, terrible, TERRIBLE editing ruined the second one for me.

Did I mention the editing? Oh, right, I did.
    Taken 3 is coming out in 2015

I am gonna see a lot of movies in 2015
    Risico007 wrote:
    Taken 3 is coming out in 2015

I am gonna see a lot of movies in 2015

I'm going to have to start a new savings account.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 13,355
    There's no confirmation on a release date yet for Taken 3 but 2015 or 2016 is likely.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    After seeing MI: GP once again last night, I am hoping now more than ever that agents Brandt and Carter will return alongside Luther (fingers crossed) and Benji. I love that team and the chemistry between them all, and it would be great to see those characters again. While I love these films, I want MI5 to be one big final knockout to end the series for good before they get stale and repetitive. Whatever the basic plot is for the film, we need a really well fleshed out villain with a storyline providing plenty of heart, risk, action and suspense. Finally, I hope the film features Ethan's last mission, and that he somehow ends up with Julia at the end of it. I wouldn't be opposed to her playing a large part in the next film either, whatever that would be.
    I don't feel like the films have grown stale just yet - each one has its own thing that I love, minus 'M:I-3', but it could get to a time where each film tries to get bigger and bigger, to the point where it can't go any bigger and it just ends up being the same thing over and over again.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I don't feel like the films have grown stale just yet - each one has its own thing that I love, minus 'M:I-3', but it could get to a time where each film tries to get bigger and bigger, to the point where it can't go any bigger and it just ends up being the same thing over and over again.
    I agree that it hasn't gotten stale, which is why I want it to end prematurely so that it doesn't turn into the regular blockbuster cash cow. I love how all the films, while still within the same series explore different tones and are very individual pieces of work on their own. I hope this theme continues, and successfully ends the series in MI5. I know that I need to see Jack Reacher to see the kind of stuff we're in for. The fact that McQuarrie and Tom have worked together before is extremely comforting, and since a lot of the usual team (producers and all that) are still on board, I'm hoping for another stellar film.
    I hated 'Jack Reacher' the first time I saw it, but after rewatching it, I enjoyed it. It was simple, nothing really stood out and amazed me, but it was still a good film.

That's what I enjoy about each 'M:I,' is that we get something new every time: there was a lot of suspense and betrayal in the first film, the second film had lots of great action sequences, the third...the MacGuffin? I don't know, I really don't care for the film at all, and the fourth had some amazing, amazing stunts.
    I love the heart and grounded nature in #3 along with a great villain and team, but I agree, I am STILL angry that we have no flipping idea what that Rabbit's Foot truly was.
    I don't know what gets under my skin about that movie, but every time I revisit it, it just doesn't sit well with me whatsoever.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2014 Posts: 4,491
    New people to imdb list:

Robert Elswit (Cinematopgraphy) and James D. Bissell (Production designer) returns.

Alias/Percy Jackson 2 Gregg Smrz wil be second united directer. Work as stunt coordinator of the previous movie and Mi2. Dan Bradley isn't avaible, who work on The Expendables 3 at the moment and wil possible confirmd for the return for Bourne 5.

Special effects supervisor is Elia P. Popov, from the last 2 Bourne movies and Eagle Eye.
    Great news. Hopefully filming still begins as planned, next month.
    edited February 2014 Posts: 13,355
    When it comes to Mission: Impossible V, how do you even top a set piece as utterly massive as the Dubai sequence in Ghost Protocol?

Drew Pearce: You have to divorce yourself from that part of your brain. It's fine to have a competitive urge, but I think by isolating specific parts of movies that have come before, if you're doing sequels, trying to top them is not always the useful way of working. Now, maybe that's me running away in terror from trying to top the Burj, but I think if you look at the Mission movies, what's been really interesting about them is they've switched up tone with each creative team that's come to them. In all honesty, on Mission 5, Mr. Cruise and J.J. Brought me into get the ball rolling, really. I've written a draft and worked closely with the brilliant Chris McQuarrie, whose hands the movie's now in. I think what will be brilliant about it is it's a Mission whose tone we've never seen before. It'll be coming from the mastermind behind The Usual Suspects. I've hopefully given Chris a strong bedrock to build his movie on, and much like being in Mission: Impossible, if I'm needed at some point for a different mission somewhere around the world, I'm sure I'll get the phone call.

Can you tease anything about what that tone is?

Pearce: I think anyone who knows Chris McQuarrie's work knows tonally the palette in which he likes to work, but I also think Ghost Protocol is a wonderful blueprint for what the best of Mission: Impossible can be in the modern world. So it's a bit of that, but also the De Palma movie that started it all off. Those were our touchstones. I think what's then interesting is the prism that information goes through is my mind, and, more importantly, Chris McQuarrie's mind. He and Mr. Cruise have a tremendous working relationship, and I think it's through that crucible something very special will be born.

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/mission-impossible-5-script-drew-pearce/14903

Production is said to begin this month. The team of four from the last film are all said to be back.
    It sounds really good, as an actioner the last MI movie was better than SF, and the script was more cohesive as well.
    More Renner in impossible sweet.

Plus I love the idea of mission impossible with the style of the usual suspects.
    I watched the third part yesterday and surprisingly it wasn't as good as I remembered it to be. Still Mr.Seymour Hoffman did an amazing job, and Cruise showed one more time why he is Ethan Hunt. The 4th one blew me away and I definitely can't wait for the next installment of the franchise. Are there any rumours as to who the villain will be in the fifth movie ?
    Not yet. We'll just have to wait and see.
    Yeah, the 3rd one isn't all that good after multiple viewings. Mainly because there's just too darn much Alias type of drama, and it just feels like a episode of the JJ helmed tv serial. Like I had seen it all before. Just with Jennifer Garner in the starring role.

My ranking would be 1>4>2>3
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited February 2014 Posts: 8,159
    I just happened to watch the third the night before Hoffman died. It's still my favorite. It may help that I have not seen a single episode of Alias so it's all fresh. I love the helicopter chase through the windmills.

My ranking would be 3>4>1>2
    This is great news if the team from the last film is back. They were my favorite group without a doubt, and I always love seeing another Hunt adventure. In this film I'd love for them to finally retire Ethan so that he and Julia can be together, but it's a cash cow, so I doubt that'll happen. I just don't want it to go on so long that the films sour and forget what made them special in the first place and become less and less exemplary over time.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Is Hunt going into space in this next one?