Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    One of the things that I like about the series is that each film maintains it's own identity within the framework of a series.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That they got from Bond.
    chrisisall wrote:
    Is Hunt going into space in this next one?

I do hope so. I do hope so. And so, the Hunt Galaxy was born.

But in all seriousness. This series has captivated me ever since I did the "paranoid walk" after the first movie. I hope MI -the modern incarnation all the best luck. May you outlive bond.

• I'd rank them like this: 4>3>1>2
    SaintMark wrote:
    It sounds really good, as an actioner the last MI movie was better than SF, and the script was more cohesive as well.

Yeah I hope Mendes steps up his game action wise. When we have the fight scenes of stuff like The Raid and stunts like the skyscraper bit in Ghost Protocol, the action in SF looks a bit lame in comparison (and these films did it on a lower budget than SF too).
    SharkBait wrote:
    May you outlive bond.

Blasphemy!!!! ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    talos7 wrote:
    My ranking would be 3>4>1>2

Swap 1 & 4 around, and you'd have my ranking.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    My ranking will be blasphemous to some, but it is 2>4>1>3.
    For me it's 1,4,3,2
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited February 2014 Posts: 24,087
    My ranking is: 4 > 3 > 2 > 1.

That's right, I think this series shows constant improvement.

1 was good but DePalma is no director for this type of film. Though two or three moments in 1 stand out as absolutely excellent, the rest falls victim to DePalma's peculiar style. I like DePalma overall; I just never thought he and M:I matched all that well.

2 was more energetic and as such, slightly more entertaining for me, but Woo's ballet of action could also be seen as pretty pretentious at times. I think 1 is the better made of these two, but 2 is the more entertaining for me.

3 finally brought M:I where I thought it should be. A giant step up from the previous two.

4 is on the same level as 3 yet some moments in this film are so darn good IMO, I rate it slightly above 3. So it's more or less like this:

I would have agreed with DarthDimi few days ago but idk MI3 kind of disappointed me on the last viewing. I hope that MI:5 will be the best one yet because they proved in MI:GP that they can make a good M:I movie
    I agree with Dimi with his assesment, it is 4-3-2-1

Mr Cruise might be a man with somewhat strange ideas in this reality, but when it comes to movie making he knows his stuff, except for this Reacher movie imho.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2014 Posts: 4,491
    Skyfall assistant art director (Shangai Towerset Software at Pinewood Studio's http://www.vectorworks.net/success-stories/?id=165) Andrew Bennett,be the art direter for Mi5. He also work for Paramount before as assistant art director for the first Captain America movie.

Intresting with in mind Mi3 playing earlier in Shangai and Robert Elswit (Mi4) doing the cinematography again...

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Production is now said to begin in June. Looking forward to this film.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited April 2014 Posts: 4,491
    Matija Matovic Mondi is at as cast member to the movie last weak. Born in Servië (Servië Montenegro).

Cruise and Paramount be smart with releasing the previous movie in year there is no Bond movie in 2011. If there go to VS and country in the Servië region then this sound intresting.
    this Bond 24 and Bourne 5 are my 3 most anticpated films in 2015 Avengers 2 I am on the fence with and Star Wars Episode 7 I will see but I am not as excited as others (not that I hated the prequel trilogy I didn't just Yoda is my favorite character and he is dead so.... and Luke is old... and well you get the idea) and Batman vs superman is now 2016.
    Nice to hear and read more on MI5! I hope they continue down the TEAM route as that works far more better.
    The same team from the last film are said to be returning, so good news!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2014 Posts: 28,694
    Samuel001 wrote:
    The same team from the last film are said to be returning, so good news!

That's awesome! I'm also excited by the enthusiasm everyone involved in the project has.
    chrisisall wrote:
    That they got from Bond.

Or the TV show that inspired the films...

but no, I'm sure it was Bond. 8-|
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Having just seen all 4 films back to back, I'm excited for a fifth. Funny thing is they all feel mixed up. 1 and 3 feel like they take place in the same universe while 2 and GP are in a more fantastic action fantasy universe. Not that that's bad but it's very interesting. I enjoy all of them. I used to hate 2 but watching it again I had fun with it. Dougray Scott was a great fun villain. I enjoy 3 for it's darker tone and heavy tension. Phillip Seymour Hoffman was a wonderfully evil villain in it. Ghost Protocol was a fun movie. It combined the best elements of the first and second film while referencing the third film. The series doesn't need rebooting. If Peter Graves could be team Leader Jim Phelps well into his 60's, I don't see why Tom Cruise can't. In M:I 3 he was teaching agents.
    Production begins on 18th June in London. I can't wait although it will be sitting on the shelf for half a year - it could have been released next Summer.
    That's a day after My birthday! I'm glad to see it's finally taking off. :)
    So many things now being filmed in the UK! It is great news for the British film industry.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I've owned M:I 4 for a while now, but haven't got around to watching it yet. I've heard only great things about it, so must be time for a watch eh?
    QBranch wrote:
    I've owned M:I 4 for a while now, but haven't got around to watching it yet. I've heard only great things about it, so must be time for a watch eh?

Oh yes. It's a very enjoyable film. It feels a bit like the old tv show thrown in with a Moore era Bond film.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Production begins on 18th June in London. I can't wait although it will be sitting on the shelf for half a year - it could have been released next Summer.

Was this announced?
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Risico007 wrote:
    Star Wars Episode 7 I will see but I am not as excited as others (not that I hated the prequel trilogy I didn't just Yoda is my favorite character and he is dead so.... and Luke is old... and well you get the idea).

Off Topic:
    But he could return in spirit form, ala Ben Kenobi in TESP and ROTJ.

On Topic:
    If MI :5 is anywhere near as good as MI: 4 then we have a great film to look forward to. #4 returned to the teamwork style of the tv show. Something that also helped the third film. But what is lacking (up till now) is that the same team has not returned really.
    I hope Renner and Pegg return, and Paula Patton come back for #5. Also the superb action scenes in Ghost Protocol were a highlight. I wonder what they can come up with next?

A Topic:
    topic.jpg
    No but the date of production is listed on a film website.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I have high hopes for #5. This series is a rare one where I love every entry, which is quite surprising since, as it has been mentioned previously, each film is very unique from what came before. I can only hope that they allow these films to end before they become tired and formulaic, only produced for the box office dollar.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's a small query, but I wonder if Cruise will have really short hair in this one. It seems to alternate every film, and I'm really not sure if that's on purpose or not. Funnily enough, my favorite films in the series tend to be the ones where his hair is longer.