Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Just watched Ghost Protocol last night, and while I love the flick, I gotta say those Spidey gloves were almost as unbelievable as, oh, I don't know... a perfectly invisible car or something... ;)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    chrisisall wrote:
    Just watched Ghost Protocol last night, and while I love the flick, I gotta say those Spidey gloves were almost as unbelievable as, oh, I don't know... a perfectly invisible car or something... ;)

Or...CGI hang-gliding, perhaps? I don't mind the gloves, but they're definitely not my favorite part of the film. I was actually upset that they got the mask-creating machine out and didn't get to utilize it this time around.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

Or...CGI hang-gliding, perhaps? I don't mind the gloves, but they're definitely not my favorite part of the film. I was actually upset that they got the mask-creating machine out and didn't get to utilize it this time around.

I have mixed feeling over this one. I like that they have it, and use it. But as they were all on the run, with limited supplies then having the one they did have break down just adds a little to the suspense. Rather than making the mission a little easier to complete, it makes it that much harder. I thought it was a nice little touch.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 5,745
    Benny wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    chrisisall wrote:

I have mixed feeling over this one. I like that they have it, and use it. But as they were all on the run, with limited supplies then having the one they did have break down just adds a little to the suspense. Rather than making the mission a little easier to complete, it makes it that much harder. I thought it was a nice little touch.

On first viewing the point at which the mask machine failed and everything else fell apart sort of annoyed me. I get that they no longer are backed by a government and are rogue in the field with only a few supplies, but it is still government equipment and a team of highly trained experts. For literally everything to not go according to plan from halfway into the movie to right up to the end was sort of annoying.

On later viewings, however, I have sort of relaxed on that frustration. It is kind of exciting to see them scramble, but I just get frustrated we can no longer have a straight forward, story driven film where everything goes right and is still entertaining.

I have this issue with Bond, and with almost every other major franchise. Every new film nothing goes right. I get that films need drama, and characters need stimuli, but the stimuli can simply be a threat they go and stop. Something needs to go right sometime.
    @Benny, I can agree with that. It's a last minute blunder and they have to act fast to figure out what to do next before it's too late.

@JWESTBROOK, agreed, that's something that gets irritating after a while: when something bad can happen to a character, it happens. Sometimes I want something straight-forward where it's just a mission or just a bad guy that needs to be stopped. Not every film needs to be about rogue agents or someone trying to clear their name or the good guys think the main good guy is really a bad guy. It can grow tiresome.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @JWESTBROOK, agreed, that's something that gets irritating after a while: when something bad can happen to a character, it happens. Sometimes I want something straight-forward where it's just a mission or just a bad guy that needs to be stopped. Not every film needs to be about rogue agents or someone trying to clear their name or the good guys think the main good guy is really a bad guy. It can grow tiresome.

For me it has grown tiresome. Captain America: The Winter Soldier is so good because it goes against the grain on this one. Cap just wants America to be free, whether he has to fight Nazis and Hydra, or his own S.H.I.E.L.D. organization. It's a clean cut attitude and view of what is right and just, and he fights whoever he must to maintain his view of freedom.

The part that made me the happiest is when they all go to argue about
    trying to keep S.H.I.E.L.D. going after realizing Hydra has completely infiltrated it, and immediately they all agree that it just has to go. No bull shit. It's not right so it's gone.

Best movie I've seen in a while.
    Benny wrote:
    Rather than making the mission a little easier to complete, it makes it that much harder. I thought it was a nice little touch.
    Yes. It upped the stakes, and that worked for me as well.
    @JWESTBROOK, 'The Winter Soldier' is a perfect example, and it's just like that:
    No bullshit, no attempt at trying to resurrect it, they just realize that it's been so heavily infiltrated and turned that it indeed has to go. I loved TWS because it was parts superhero film and parts political thriller. Wonderful stuff.

That's what I want to see more of. We've had so many 'man against all odds' and 'agent on the run who has to clear his name' films, give us something simplistic and straightforward in terms of the plot and 'twists.' That's another thing, not every film needs a twist these days. It seems like most movies feel this need to shoehorn in a big twist where this character is actually bad or things aren't what you thought they are. In regards to TWS:
    They tackled that so well because from the get-go you seem to know who is who. It isn't some huge twist at the end where now the main character really is against all odds once he found out his best friend/boss/colleague is really an enemy, it's just something he has to battle almost from the get-go.

That's also what I want to see a lot more of.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Jeremy Renner has confirmed his return in the fifth installment:

http://www.slashfilm.com/mission-impossible-5-jeremy-renner/

Cool, i wonder if Rachel Weisz will return also?
    @RogueAgent, Rachel Weisz wasn't in the 'Mission: Impossible' series, I believe you're thinking of the fifth installment of the 'Bourne' films. :-)
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @RogueAgent, Rachel Weisz wasn't in the 'Mission: Impossible' series, I believe you're thinking of the fifth installment of the 'Bourne' films. :-)

Doh! :)) Apologies all! I don't normally make that kind of schoolboy error often! Mad day at work and all that. But still pleased he is going to be in MI5! And no i do not mean the British Intelligence service! ;)
    No worries! I'm sure once the fifth 'Bourne' film gears up, Weisz will return for it. She seemed pivotal in 'The Bourne Legacy.'
    Creasy47 wrote:
    No worries! I'm sure once the fifth 'Bourne' film gears up, Weisz will return for it. She seemed pivotal in 'The Bourne Legacy.'

Yeah completely agree, she appears to maybe hold alot of keys for finding out more information with what she was doing before?
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yeah completely agree, she appears to maybe hold alot of keys for finding out more information with what she was doing before?

Exactly why I figure she'll be in the next one. This time, though, I won't be anticipating it or rushing out to see it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Exactly why I figure she'll be in the next one. This time, though, I won't be anticipating it or rushing out to see it.

I think i will gauge the opinion on here as to whether i go to the cinema to see it or not?
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,867
    I'll probably wait until the movie is online or released on Redbox, especially if it's all done by the same people, as I couldn't stand the fight editing in 'Legacy.'
    Mission:Impossible 5 promotion at the Licensing Expo:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/gallery/119560/Licensing_Expo_2014_34.jpg
    It's weird that the working title is just 'Mission: Impossible.'
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Ghost Protocol was the same way too at first.
    Murdock wrote:

I just figured they'd at least give it a roman numeral or something.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I just figured they'd at least give it a roman numeral or something.
    Nope, not in this decade where Sequels aren't being numbered anymore to cause mass confusion. :p
    I'm massively confused... is this MI 5.1?
    So it looks like a big portion of the film will take place in London, then.
    Creasy47 wrote:

They will probably outskyfall Skyfall.
    Well it's the next odd numbered M:I So it's probably going to be more grounded to reality. ;)
    SaintMark wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

They will probably outskyfall Skyfall.

'Mission: Impossible - Skyfall.'

Murdock wrote:
    Well it's the next odd numbered M:I So it's probably going to be more grounded to reality. ;)

I bet Cruise will have short hair this time around, then.

looking forward to this installment of the franchise.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

I bet Cruise will have short hair this time around, then.
    Most likely, if not...TIME PARADOX. :))
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This should be good, you'd hope. Filming begins next month.