Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• edited December 2014 Posts: 11,119
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I do hope the 5th film in the series will be like "Ghost Protocol", but perhaps with slightly more complex character drama. And I hope it mirrors today's politics in a slightly more realistic way.
    Fair enough, although I don´t see how those two aspects should make any film better. But each his own.

Same with the aspect of stunts. Solely injecting a film with stunts doesn't make a movie necessarily good. But it does influence the total product. The total package, and that's what I was referring to. I think MI could use a bit more drama, a bit more character complexity.

I heard some rumours that Ethan Hunt is going to marry in M:I 5? Also, do we have an idea about the title for the film? "Ghost Protocol" set a new Bond-Ian standard...by giving the film an original title.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Stil be 2015 movie, but Mi5 be delayd in some country's to 2016. The New Dutch release date of Mi5 is 07 January 2016.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 5,767
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I do hope the 5th film in the series will be like "Ghost Protocol", but perhaps with slightly more complex character drama. And I hope it mirrors today's politics in a slightly more realistic way.
    Fair enough, although I don´t see how those two aspects should make any film better. But each his own.

Same with the aspect of stunts. Solely injecting a film with stunts doesn't make a movie necessarily good. But it does influence the total product. The total package, and that's what I was referring to. I think MI could use a bit more drama, a bit more character complexity.
    MI:3 had quite a lot of personal themes, drama, and current geopolitical aspects, but those things didn´t really help improving the film.
    The total package doesn´t need to contain something from everwhere, or for everybody. I´m all for salads, but sometimes it´s just better to just have two apples. Keeping the mix lean but effective is also a good way of not becoming pretentious, or over-ambitious.

I heard some rumours that Ethan Hunt is going to marry in M:I 5? Also, do we have an idea about the title for the film? "Ghost Protocol" set a new Bond-Ian standard...by giving the film an original title.

Graves you forgot Hunt already did marry and that did not work so why again, so I doubt sincerely that such a rumour is right.

The last movie, MI4, was personal enough with Hunt having to hide his wife away in order for her to be safe and one of the team feeling horrible as he feels he failed Hunt and his wife. The personal emotions in this movie were well dealt with and had great stunts and a wicked sense of humour. Also most of the stunts had something in them that you were never quite sure what would happen next. The last time I saw and felt that in a 007 movie was in the parkour/chase scene scene of CR.

Were the 007 formula has gotten to navelstaring, huge budgets that somehow do not seem to be transferred on the big screen, and so so action scenes the MI series had with the last two a change in that they have taken the flag from the 007 series in being the action/spy movie that gives you most value for money. And MI series has done so with pretty good scripts and amazing actors. And to be honest Peggs involvement is humour that the 007 series seem to lack.
    Cruise & co deliver great fun and entertainment, Craig & co deliver "personal movies" that sometimes have the fun sucked out of them.

But that is just my opinion. And from what I read the next 007 with Craig is going to be a bummer.

I am looking forward to next 007 performer that brings the series back to being a balance of fun and good adventure. And for now the MI series will have to do.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    SaintMark wrote: »
    I am looking forward to next 007 performer that brings the series back to being a balance of fun and good adventure. And for now the MI series will have to do.
    Oh, so you want Tarzan yells, double-winking pigeons, laser battles and Beach Boys covers, eh?
    Heh heh, just kidding- thought I'd toss that inevitable strawman your way before anyone else did.
    ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Oh, so you want Tarzan yells, double-winking pigeons, laser battles and Beach Boys covers, eh?
    Heh heh, just kidding- thought I'd toss that inevitable strawman your way before anyone else did.
    ;)

Roger Moore is a Saint.

But I would like the 007 series a little more fun as currently is the case, and a shedload load less of pretentiousness. The likes of Forster & Mendes did nothing on improving on CR which is easily the best 007 movie from the Craig era so far.
    After Man From UNCLE is a mega-hit & SPECTRE doesn't quite hit the billion mark expect the series to lighten up a bit again.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Roger Moore is a Saint.

Nice. The Saint arguably.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 5,767
    Not to forget that Kingsman could be a huge hit too.
    Not to forget that, if Star Wars will be a hit, the circle of inspiration closes, and Bond will hit space again!
    That said, already SP will be oriented at Marvel films, because those are the most successful movies right now in this kind of area. So SP will have at least attempts at being a little more light-hearted and colorful. Bringing back the organisation SPECTRE already is a sign of that.

I´m not joking.
    I found Mi3 a little melodramatic at times. Mi4 was just good fun (a throwback of some sorts to lighter fare from the 80s/90s.....the kind of movies they don't make any more.....why does everything have to be so damn deep these days?).

Personally, my favourite is the original DePalma Mi. Loved that movie. Very spy like.
  • edited December 2014 Posts: 11,119

Graves you forgot Hunt already did marry and that did not work so why again, so I doubt sincerely that such a rumour is right.

The last movie, MI4, was personal enough with Hunt having to hide his wife away in order for her to be safe and one of the team feeling horrible as he feels he failed Hunt and his wife. The personal emotions in this movie were well dealt with and had great stunts and a wicked sense of humour. Also most of the stunts had something in them that you were never quite sure what would happen next. The last time I saw and felt that in a 007 movie was in the parkour/chase scene scene of CR.

Were the 007 formula has gotten to navelstaring, huge budgets that somehow do not seem to be transferred on the big screen, and so so action scenes the MI series had with the last two a change in that they have taken the flag from the 007 series in being the action/spy movie that gives you most value for money. And MI series has done so with pretty good scripts and amazing actors. And to be honest Peggs involvement is humour that the 007 series seem to lack.
    Cruise & co deliver great fun and entertainment, Craig & co deliver "personal movies" that sometimes have the fun sucked out of them.

But that is just my opinion. And from what I read the next 007 with Craig is going to be a bummer.

Ufff, I fully disagree with you here. You call it "navelstarring", I call it perfectly written characters.

Yes, there was some background history on Ethan Hunt in M:I 4, but it was scarcely used. Actually only at the very end of the film.

For me the characters in Skyfall, Bond, 'M', Silva, and even Severine and Mallory, had way more intrigueing background. I liked the full use of their backgrounds in the films. They were actually the reasons for a lot of events in the film. It gave the characters complexity and relevance, while keeping the sense of adventure and thrills.

You can disagree with that, but apparently Skyfall in general is slightly more loved than M:I 4. Not that I really care about that, but it does tell you that audiences, including me, do like a sense of realism and complexity with the characters.

Ethan Hunt and his team for me did not really had that. So I hope that improves for M:I 5. A bit like M:I 3. Again, this is also personal taste eh. I guess that's important to mention also :-).
    @Gustav_Graves for me SF was an excercise in pretentiousness in which they forgot all about the history of the franchise, and occasionally threw in a action scene which was filmed really nice but at the end of the movie it all felt like a festival of stupidities galore. M doing everything wrong she could, and that after such a long distinguished carreer. Bond gets hurt pretty bad, survives (nice one-liner about Resurrection!) and then continues his business as usual no explanations. MI6 as an organisation does not function very well, perhaps M had to move on due to this!!! But the mess they allowed was really unrealistic.
    Silva starts up as a menace of world class and then becomes the next petty villain and by the time we get to the chopper Apocalypse Now style I was kinda done with the movie.

the characters of M & Bond except for the opening of the movie seem to totally out of character. As for the delving in the background it did not convince me at all as it all was rather flimsy to begin with. M betrayed a double who was hurt by her, REALLY??, Bond was an orphan and has a bloody big estate with a gameskeeper he rather likes, being the sole heir one would expect he would have sold it of sooner, NOW THERE IS A BACKGROUND TO DELVE INTO?? DID NOT HAPPEN.

For me SF is a movie that has some nice ideas and some great scenes but has little cohesion or interest as it becomes a movie of pretentious director and lead actor.

From what I have heard about SP we will get the closing of the Craig era.

With the next actor we can get back to the business of 007 being a great secret agent that has exciting adventures and beautiful women. These last two movies lacked the adventure aspect of the movies and books. At least Fleming recognised that a missing agent might pose a threat and in TMWTGG he showed that.

For me currently based upon MI3 & 4 those movies have taken the spot that 007 left vacant and have done some exciting stuff with it. And too be honest I am probably looking forward more to MI5 than SP.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited December 2014 Posts: 4,491
    It be big failer that Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Laurence Fishburne and Maggie Q not return in 5th movie with already not return in Ghost Protocol. Mi3 be a bit of set up like QOS, what happen in Mi4 can be good reasen to make a team up from people of that movie and new members. Iam looking forward how Luther and Ethan words in Mi3 wil turn out in Mi5.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    Last post was December 2014? Really spy-fans :-P. There's new news about "Mission: Impossible 5". Apparently, the crew headed to the Cayman Islands for several underwater action sequences. So funny.....where Bond is doing an "OHMSS", Mr Hunt is probably doing a "TB" :-P:

http://masterherald.com/mission-impossible-5-shooting-possibly-continues-with-cayman-islands-stunts/7605/

Besides this news, I have a little poll for you all. Which of the previous four main title sequences are your favourite?

01) "Mission: Impossibe - TV Series" (1966, music by Lalo Schifrin)
    02) "Mission: Impossible 1" (1996, music by Danny Elfman)
    03) "Mission: Impossible 2" (2000, music by Hans Zimmer)
    04) "Mission: Impossible 3" (2006, music by Michael Giacchino)
    05) "Mission: Impossible 4 - Ghost Protocol" (2011, music by Michael Giacchino)

For me personally, the last film, "Ghost Protocol", felt most "full circle" for me. Giacchino felt more at ease for his 2nd time, and he smartly opted for his own longer, 2 minute version of the original Schifrin theme. And I think it worked tremendously.

After that, Danny Elfman's version of Schifrin's theme is also very good. Hans Zimmer's version for "M:I 2" completely sucked IMO. It must have been the musical trend of that time, as "Die Another Day" also was painful to listen at.

Am I the only one by the way, who thinks the M:I-films have slowly gotten their own elements that actually feel...very Bond-esque?

With that I mean that the main titles have become more....enjoyable. They last longer and have actually way more interesting main title design. Especially GP. Moreover, the M:I-films now have clearly their own PTS, like James Bond. And as of GP, we actually need to start thinking what the title of the 5th M:I- film is going to be :-D!

Uhm, what will the title be of "M:I 5"? Any ideas?

What about:
    --> "Mission: Impossible 5 - Far Up And Far Down"
    --> "Mission: Impossible 5 - High Underwater"
    --> "Mission: Impossible 5 - The Syndicate Affair" (as in "M:I 4" at the end of the films Ethan got a mission to chase "The Syndicate")
    --> "Mission: Impossible 5 - The Secret Service Battle" (looking at the number of CIA-agents being cast in "M:I 5", it could very well be that IMF needs to fight the CIA?)
    By the way, Michael Giacchino will not return as music score composer. Joe Kraemer takes over the helm. He previously composed the score for "Jack Reacher". But he's not very well known yet.
    Jack Reacher's score was ok. I don't remember it well but it wasn't bad.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Jack Reacher's score was ok. I don't remember it well but it wasn't bad.

Here two examples from that score:

I think Joe Kraemer, like Thomas Newman, is way more subtle with his compositions. Kraemer lets his compositions "breathe", he lets the music evolve more slowly, without sounding slow or boring. So I think it's interesting that he takes over from the more "straight in your face" Michael Giacchino.
    Thanks for posting. Now I remember it. Yes, I liked these compositions very much.

Actually I really liked Jack Reacher, and I'm looking forward to the 2nd one.
    Looking foward to the next film
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Looking foward to the next film

Have you read the news on page 17? Apparently they will start shooting very soon on the Cayman Islands. For underwater action sequences. Tom Cruise is already there for diving instructions.
    Big release date news -- Paramount has moved 'Mission: Impossible 5' up five months to July 2015
    bondjames wrote: »
    Thanks for posting. Now I remember it. Yes, I liked these compositions very much.

Actually I really liked Jack Reacher, and I'm looking forward to the 2nd one.

+1
    Apprantly they will start shooting Jack Reacher 2 somewhere during the Spring/Summer this year.

• edited January 2015 Posts: 12,837
    @SaintMark Replying to an old post here but you talked about wanting more fun in the Bond films. I really think you're going to like SPECTRE.

I've read the script and there's lots of humour and not just naff one liners, there are lots of genuinely funny bits imo. It really is a big, OTT classic Bond adventure. Gadgets, humour, the lot. SF sort of bought this back but SPECTRE is really going all out and making an old school Bond film and I can't wait.

There's still drama but there's none of the pretentiousness that SF had. There's nobody reciting poetry or anything. I really think they've found a great balance and that SP is really going to be something special.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Big release date news -- Paramount has moved 'Mission: Impossible 5' up five months to July 2015

Great news! Although originally it was set to open a full two months after SPECTRE, it's still good to hear that the end of the year competition got a bit lighter.

dragonsky wrote: »

Great news! Although originally it was set to open a full two months after SPECTRE, it's still good to hear that the end of the year competition got a bit lighter.

Wow that is a big shift in terms of release date! Cool!
    antovolk wrote: »
    Mission:Impossible 5 will be landing July 31st now.

Sony are so putting the SPECTRE theatrical trailer with this, mark my words.

Not a big surprise after all ;-). This means good news for "SPECTRE"! As it'll be the only and last non-fantasy, non-sci-fi, non-3d film of 2015. Good for possible longevity and strong holdover during its box office course :-).
    Good news to this MI fan!
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Good news to this MI fan!

I just hope....cast and crew won't get into "rushing-things-up-mode". As I understand it, there are still quite a lot of underwater action sequences to be filmed on the Cayman Islands.

I also hope "M:I 5" will have a bit more drama...like "M:I 3" :-).

In any case, nice to hear I can see "M: I 5" earlier hehe.
    I just hope....cast and crew won't get into "rushing-things-up-mode".

Naww, this just means that the production is going like clockwork and they're confident that it'll all be done ahead of schedule! =D>
    @SaintMark Replying to an old post here but you talked about wanting more fun in the Bond films. I really think you're going to like SPECTRE.

I've read the script and there's lots of humour and not just naff one liners, there are lots of genuinely funny bits imo. It really is a big, OTT classic Bond adventure. Gadgets, humour, the lot. SF sort of bought this back but SPECTRE is really going all out and making an old school Bond film and I can't wait.

There's still drama but there's none of the pretentiousness that SF had. There's nobody reciting poetry or anything. I really think they've found a great balance and that SP is really going to be something special.

Thank you, thank YOU dear dear lovely @TheLivingRoyale for reassuring us ;-). Hope to see you a bit more often in here.