Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    31 July, realy. If that is true there is change the new Dutch release date wil be on my birthday 30 July, one day earlier. If there release one day earlier on 29 July, then it be 2 weaks before The Man from U.N.C.L.E. who be released on Wednesday 12 August 2015.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Mission:Impossible 5 will be landing July 31st now.

Sony are so putting the SPECTRE theatrical trailer with this, mark my words.

Not a big surprise after all ;-). This means good news for "SPECTRE"! As it'll be the only and last non-fantasy, non-sci-fi, non-3d film of 2015. Good for possible longevity and strong holdover during its box office course :-).
    MI:5 is 2D too i think
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 5,767
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Good news to this MI fan!
    To this one too <:-P

I just hope....cast and crew won't get into "rushing-things-up-mode".

Naww, this just means that the production is going like clockwork and they're confident that it'll all be done ahead of schedule! =D>
    Many films are ready for months before they are released, so it might have been the schedule that M:I5 is ready in July, and the distributors took themselves the luxury to juggle the year´s tentpole releases.
    Or maybe they scrapped a few CGI scenes in favor of Cruise doing his stuff, which would shorten post production considerably ;-).

I also hope "M:I 5" will have a bit more drama...like "M:I 3" :-).
    Baah, go away with that! I sincerely hope the team fun feeling of M:I 4 will continue. The "drama" in M:I 3 pretty much spoils it for me. If Michael Mann would do an M:I film, then I would be ok with all the drama in the world.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am a huge Brad Bird fan; and while I like M.I. 4 a great deal, 3 is by far my favorite.
  • edited January 2015 Posts: 11,119
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Good news to this MI fan!
    To this one too <:-P

I just hope....cast and crew won't get into "rushing-things-up-mode".

Naww, this just means that the production is going like clockwork and they're confident that it'll all be done ahead of schedule! =D>
    Many films are ready for months before they are released, so it might have been the schedule that M:I5 is ready in July, and the distributors took themselves the luxury to juggle the year´s tentpole releases.
    Or maybe they scrapped a few CGI scenes in favor of Cruise doing his stuff, which would shorten post production considerably ;-).

I also hope "M:I 5" will have a bit more drama...like "M:I 3" :-).
    Baah, go away with that! I sincerely hope the team fun feeling of M:I 4 will continue. The "drama" in M:I 3 pretty much spoils it for me. If Michael Mann would do an M:I film, then I would be ok with all the drama in the world.

It's not only that, I do like to see better characters in "M:I 5"! Ethan Hunt and his entire IMF-gang....they all lack so much depth and background. And while others dislike that, I think it's pivotal to bring in realism and credibility in the film.

For me personally, I thought the "M:I 3"-PTS was absolutely stunning. I was on the edge of my seat. The interaction between Tom Cruise and Philip Seymour-Hoffman really helped intensifying the acting skills and its believability. And I loved how the love relationship was handled in the film. Call "M:I 3" the "OHMSS" or "SF" of the M:I-franchise. Especially regarding emotional depth and multi-layered characters. In a way, this example was followed by Sam Mendes and the actors he directed: Javier Bardem vs. Daniel Craig and Judi Dench.

I do agree that "big action" is important. Bond films and M:I-films are foremost action films. But I DO NOT want the Brosnan-era to return just yet. I do like to see credible, multi-layered characters within that world full of action. It's a minor thing one can ask. It adds to the re-watching value. And moreover, it can cause a lot of interesting discussion once we start dissecting the film :-).

Moreover, looking at the success of "The Dark Knight"-films, "Skyfall" and indeed now "American Sniper", one can say that there is a big market for believable characters with whom one can associate himself with.

In short: I really hope "M:1 5" will be the "Skyfall" of the "M:I-franchise". And looking at director Christoper McQuarrie, who is in essence more of a perfectionistic screenplay writer (known for "The Usual Suspects", "Edge Of Tomorrow", together with "SPECTRE's" Jezz Butterworth, and "The Way Of The Gun"), I think this could be happening. Moreover, I really liked "Jack Reacher": More thriller, slightly less action, well-written characters. McQuarrie showed he can direct. And it'll be interesting to see how much "M:I 5" will be different from "M: 4 - GP".
    @Gustav_Graves you are a nice and knowledgable fella, but for the sake of cinema I do hope that MI5 will be nowhere close to being the "skyfall" of their franchise. I hope they keep up the standards of the franchise from MI3 - MI4 upwards a skyfall would be a step back and bloody pretentious. They should leave that to the 007 franchise as it currently is the style the 007 franchise is going with. I prefer the action and the fun from the last two MI movies and prefer them bringing the big actionmovies as the 007 franchise is not doing that since CR. Somebody has got to do that job. ;)
    SaintMark wrote: »
    @Gustav_Graves you are a nice and knowledgable fella, but for the sake of cinema I do hope that MI5 will be nowhere close to being the "skyfall" of their franchise. I hope they keep up the standards of the franchise from MI3 - MI4 upwards a skyfall would be a step back and bloody pretentious. They should leave that to the 007 franchise as it currently is the style the 007 franchise is going with. I prefer the action and the fun from the last two MI movies and prefer them bringing the big actionmovies as the 007 franchise is not doing that since CR. Somebody has got to do that job. ;)

Then we tend to disagree ;-). And moreover, as the MI-franchise becomes more and more an established franchise (like Bond) it is at one point important for the "survival skills" of M:I that it gets re-invented as well. Regarding the action in Bond: Please...please don't forget that there still is a huge difference between movies like "American Beauty" and "Skyfall".

One thing: You consider yourself more of an M;I-fan by taking into account its last three films ;-)? Or do you consider yourself more a Bond-fan by equally taking into account its last three films?

Just wondering.....
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    In this Century the MI movies have been better than the Bond movies in the fun & adventure department. I just hope SPECTRE is as good as MI5 (which seems quite the possibility).
    In this Century the MI movies have been better than the Bond movies in the fun & adventure department. I just hope SPECTRE is as good as MI5 (which seems quite the possibility).

Then in what aspect do YOU think the Bond movies were better than the M:I-films? Off course you're mentioning only one aspect, fun & adventure, but in the end I think it's about the total effect a movie has on you.

I liked "Ghost Protocol" a lot. But also, afterwards, I found so little more to discuss about this film. I saw it....and....."that was it". Rewatching value? For me not so.

Then in what aspect do YOU think the Bond movies were better than the M:I-films?
    QOS was quite the serious film, and no MI film has really been like that, but in general the 21st Century MI movies have done just about everything better than Bond. They've never fallen into the 'we have to be gritty' trap. Or the 'we have to be Oscar material' trap. And they employ good writers. Bond felt catch-up was needed with Bourne when all the while it was the MI movies they should have been taking notes on.
    Then in what aspect do YOU think the Bond movies were better than the M:I-films?
    QOS was quite the serious film, and no MI film has really been like that, but in general the 21st Century MI movies have done just about everything better than Bond. They've never fallen into the 'we have to be gritty' trap. Or the 'we have to be Oscar material' trap. And they employ good writers. Bond felt catch-up was needed with Bourne when all the while it was the MI movies they should have been taking notes on.

You haven't really answered the question ;-). You think the last three Bond films were better in the department of "seriousness"? And...that's it?
    You haven't really answered the question ;-). You think the last three Bond films were better in the department of "seriousness"? And...that's it?
    Well that, and Arnold's music & the general sense of 'classy' were better in Bond movies, I guess.

Playing emotional and character depth out as much as M:I 3 and in parts SF did is bloody boring. Putting emotional and character depth into one frame is exciting. That goes for acting as well as for directing. As Joe Perry said, let the music do the talking.
    Well that, and Arnold's music & the general sense of 'classy' were better in Bond movies, I guess.

That's "it"?? Sjee.......
    edited January 2015 Posts: 17,788
    That's "it"?? Sjee.......
    "Sjee"? Typo or slang here?
    I'm just not a fan of gritty. I don't much care for Nolan's Batman, and Craig's tenure has left me fairly cold as well (though I find I really like QOS, strangely).
    IMO, the MI movies have that sense of wild adventure missing since Brozz left Bond.
    Time to rewatch this tribute then. And mark the final words by "M" in this film:
    I mostly agree. The MI franchise does have better writers, and I would dare to say also better directors. For me - MI:3 outranks all Bond movies made in this century. The villain for example, played by late Philip Seymour Hoffman, is exactly the kind of villain I think the Bond franchise is missing and needs. Neither LeChiffre, Greene or Silva will be amongst the memorable villains, like Mr. Goldfinger or Blofeld.

But the Bond movies have something I like and want, that the MI franchise would never have: James Bond. And usually - a better score.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,119
    "Mission: Impossible - TAURUS" B-)??

Just read this interesting article from MoviePilot.com (released yesterday, 10th of February):
    --> http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/10/mission-impossible-5-is-taurus-a-sign-of-things-to-come-2680292?lt_source=external,manual
    And one from FilmDivider.com:
    --> http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/02/10/mission-impossible-5-is-taurus-a-sign-of-things-to-come-2680292?lt_source=external,manual
    And the LinkedIn-page of the Production Coordinator Stuart Ewen, who works on both "Mission: Impossible 5" and "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.":
    --> http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/stuart-ewen/56/2a8/837

As you can read in above articles/links, "TAURUS" could be the name of the 5th M:I-film. Paramount has already bought up all domain names and rights that include the word/accronym "TAURUS" (Probably to be certain that Paramount don't get their own Kevin McGlory-affair :-P).

Also, a wunderful new picture from the set of "M:I 5"! It's American actor Nigel Barber, who plays the 'Chairman' (Hmmm, does this ring a bell :-P). And look closely, there's the name "TAURUS" again:
    taurus-sign.jpg

"TAURUS", "UNCLE", "SPECTRE". Guys, this is getting insane 8-}
  • anyone read the news?
    Interesting. One of the titles considered for Ghost Protocol was project Aries
    I wouldn't mind that title
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited February 2015 Posts: 4,491
    Taurus = Bull (Dutch: Stier)

Besides this it also link to Bull of astrology (Dutch: Sterren Beeld Stier) and a mountain in Turkey.

In The Netherlands you can use the word ''Stier'' in text like: Stierlijk vervelend. Somebody who stick to you and don't wanno a go a way. A bit like Goldeneye and the moment Alec ask James to be a brave boy and die.

But for the movie mabey use what moost people known from a Bull. A male cow with a lot of agression.
    Or a lot of Testosterone?
    MI:5 will be shown in IMAX ! (i lost the link for the official info..)
    Don´t care for IMAX. I´m a sucker for widescreen.
  • boldfinger wrote: »
    Don´t care for IMAX. I´m a sucker for widescreen.

I don't care for 3D. But IMAX......I was sold after the 1st experience. It's stunning. IF seen in a proper IMAX-cinema.
    So any idea for title or trailer
  • Risico007 wrote: »
    So any idea for title or trailer

Uhm, if you read some of the posts above ;-)....
    I think that we can expect a trailer maybe next month ? March or April sound like the right time for them to release the trailer
    No offical word on wether Taurus is the title or not.