The Film Noir Thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 10 Posts: 14,448
    MV5BYzE0YzgwMjgtYzUzNC00MWZhLWE1ZDAtNmNlN2JlYjFhZjRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0MzQwMjgz._V1_QL75_UY281_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

Marlowe (2022)

Was hanging to watch a new detective noir. Really enjoyed Marlowe, really hit the spot. Love the poisoning scene. Great to see Alan Cumming in there too. Danny Huston plays a great villain, would love to see more Bond villains like him. I'm also keen to watch See How They Run and Death on the Nile.
    QBranch wrote: »
    MV5BYzE0YzgwMjgtYzUzNC00MWZhLWE1ZDAtNmNlN2JlYjFhZjRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTE0MzQwMjgz._V1_QL75_UY281_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

Marlowe (2022)

Was hanging to watch a new detective noir. Really enjoyed Marlowe, really hit the spot. Love the poisoning scene. Great to see Alan Cumming in there too. Danny Huston plays a great villain, would love to see more Bond villains like him. I'm also keen to watch See How They Run and Death on the Nile.

I like it quite a bit as well. Pity it didn't get much of an audience. I thought Neeson was a good Marlowe, especially trying to cast that role today. Made a nice older version of the character.
    Yeah, I like this movie too. I don't know why it has such a bad rating on IMDB.

I Know, IMDB is not very reliable but this is crazy.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I like it quite a bit as well. Pity it didn't get much of an audience. I thought Neeson was a good Marlowe, especially trying to cast that role today. Made a nice older version of the character.
    It was a decent film. Perhaps too much of a slow-burner for younger audiences, not sure. I also watched See How They Run, which is a bit of an oddball whodunit, but fun nonetheless.
    As part of my Coen Brothers marathon, I just watched The Man Who Wasn’t There (2001) for the first time. The authenticity of the aesthetics and vibes was impeccable, and the story and acting were splendid. Really loved it!
  • DwayneDwayne New York City
    Speaking of THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE @FoxFox, it is one of the titles highlighted in this month's NeoNoir offerings on the Criterion platform.

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/8503-the-criterion-channel-s-july-2024-lineup?utm_source=braze&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=monthly-lineup-announcement&utm_content=jul-2024

While film noir had its heyday in the disillusioned postwar era of the 1940s and ’50s, its seductively moody style and dark, cynical edge have continued to inspire more recent filmmakers to put their own stamps on the genre. Featuring unforgettable femmes fatales (Linda Fiorentino’s ice-cold bad girl in The Last Seduction) and rogue detectives (a shockingly sleazy James Woods in Cop, Harvey Keitel and Nicolas Cage as two very different Bad Lieutenants), these next-generation crime thrillers reveal the myriad ways in which the hard-boiled vocabulary of noir has endured and evolved over the decades. Bringing together acclaimed modern classics (L.A. Confidential) and hidden gems (The Deep End) from the New Hollywood of the 1970s (Night Moves, Obsession) to the VHS era of the 1980s and ’90s (Crimes of Passion, Out of Sight) and beyond, this selection proves that noir is more than just a single era or movement—it’s a state of mind.

FEATURING: Night Moves (1975), Obsession (1976), The Big Sleep (1978), Absence of Malice (1981), Blow Out (1981), Eyewitness (1981), Blood Simple (1984), Crimes of Passion (1984), Cop (1988), Blue Steel (1990), Bad Lieutenant (1992), The Last Seduction (1994), Blood and Wine (1996), L.A. Confidential (1997), Out of Sight (1998)*, The Deep End (2001), The Man Who Wasn’t There (2001)*, Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans (2009)*