The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    I agree because Lazenby was trying very hard to look like Connery. He's not an exact replica but much more similar than Brosnan was. Not that that's a bad thing.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,526
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 256</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>George Lazenby physically resembled Connery's Bond more in '69 than did Brosnan in '95.</b></font>

Would agree. Have to say that i think a little to do with it was Lazenby went all out to look like Connery though so he could have a better chance of landing the role? Brosnan was from a different time altogether.
  • Without question. Lazenby may not have been everyone's favorite, but he put on a damn fine show of things and he was arguably the best pugilist of all the Bond actors to have played the role. Only around 29 years of age when he made his one and only appearance - a little too young maybe - but in retrospect he was a success. And by saying 'resembled Connery's Bond' you would have to mean his most early appearances - not an out of sorts, bloated, former shadow of his greatness such as Dr No or From Russia With Love for example, after Thunderball and in his last releases. Brosnan is as far detached from Lazenby in true Bond characteristics as I could maybe find possible. Thesis is correct
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited November 2013 Posts: 24,087
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 257</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>The character of Q would be better suited for gender reversal than MP.</b></font>
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2013 Posts: 13,355
    Neither would. Keep them both as they are and that's that! There is no need to switch round what has been in place and worked for so long.
    I say Q shouldnt be genderswapped but obviously I agree. Moneypenny has ALWAYS been a female and her flirtations with Bond are integral to the character. She CAN'T be genderswapped.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Agreed. The sexual tension between Bond and Moneypenny is the driving force behind their relationship. This just wouldn't work with a male unless we have a gay Bond and let's not go there.
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 3,236
    I guess so, because Bond can't really flirt with a male Moneypenny. Hardly a ringing endorsement, though.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    While I don't think that either Q or MP should be gender swapped, I think it would be easier to explain Q's gender switch, as you just can't get rid of the sexual tension and banter between Bond and MP.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    As monneypenny isn't a function but a name of a lady and Q stands for Quartermaster there's little discussion here.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    As monneypenny isn't a function but a name of a lady and Q stands for Quartermaster there's little discussion here.

Agreed. Plus we had Villiers in CR and Tanner since. no more secretaries. Moneypenny is a lady and should stay as one. Q can have pretty lady assistants that Bond can point the liquid crystal cameras at. :))
    I don't think I agree, but then again, I've never heard that theory before. It sure would be interesting to see a female Q trying to be serious, and 007 constantly dropping innuendos and double entendres at her.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    I don't think I agree, but then again, I've never heard that theory before. It sure would be interesting to see a female Q trying to be serious, and 007 constantly dropping innuendos and double entendres at her.

Laser Wristwatch aye? Can It cut through that labcoat Qutie? =))

Sorry I couldn't resist.
    Play EON. Q has a female assistant who shows up about halfway through the game. Exactly what it sounds like.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited October 2013 Posts: 14,476
    "Don't touch that! That's my butt!"

Bond would be way too distracted by Q herself to pay attention to any briefing, then all of a sudden he'd find himself out in the field with a briefcase full of gadgets, and not knowing their purpose. Nope, a female Q would be the death of 007.
    DarthDimi wrote:

<font color=blue size=7><b>The character of Q would be better suited for gender reversal than MP.</b></font>

Disagree. I do not want to see this happen ever? If it did then the next thing you know it will be Jane Bond! [-(
  • edited October 2013 Posts: 12,837
    The whole point with MP is for Bond to flirt with her. Bond is not gay. So making Moneypenny a bloke wouldn't work at all.

Female Q? Eh, maybe it could work, we've had a female M, but I'm very happy with the Q we have now. There's nothing about Q's relationship with Bond that couldn't work with a woman actor but it'd be change for the sake of it really.

But yeah a female Q would be miles better than a male Moneypenny so I agree.
    I think the banter between MP and Bond and Q and Bond is different and unique. I wouldn't want Bond flirting with MP, meeting M, flirting with Q, and off to his mission. I like that he flirts with MP to express that sexual tension, meets M for the mission, then goes and pisses off Q for a few moments before he embarks on his assignment. I think if it was a female Q and they just added more flirtation, it would start to be a bit too much.
    Without question. Lazenby may not have been everyone's favorite, but he put on a damn fine show of things and he was arguably the best pugilist of all the Bond actors to have played the role. Only around 29 years of age when he made his one and only appearance - a little too young maybe - but in retrospect he was a success. And by saying 'resembled Connery's Bond' you would have to mean his most early appearances - not an out of sorts, bloated, former shadow of his greatness such as Dr No or From Russia With Love for example, after Thunderball and in his last releases. Brosnan is as far detached from Lazenby in true Bond characteristics as I could maybe find possible. Thesis is correct

George is the second best Bond to me, after Connery. Craig is third. Better directors and stories would have helped Pierece if EON had wanted to continue the tone of Goldeneye, which they could not.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 256</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>George Lazenby physically resembled Connery's Bond more in '69 than did Brosnan in '95.</b></font>

Agree. And all George did to look and dress like Sean to get the part is on record.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Disagree. Leave them as they are. Oh, and Q still liking girls as we saw in Octopussy. I will not like the idea of a gay Q because Whishaw is, let's leave any deeper characterizations of Penny and Q off the table and concentrate on the storyline concerning Bond doing his job.

I did like the female Q in the Gardner novels, she worked well enough for me.

But it seems that most of the fellows on this site have trouble with women in any other role than bitch/babe. Dench got a lot of hate simply because she was a woman mostly.

I would not mind a female Q.

As for the current Q, he will play Freddy Mercury. :!! He will want 007 to ride his bicycle, and when 007 kills another one bites the dust.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited November 2013 Posts: 14,476
    If Skyfall is any indicator, for now the closest we'll get to seeing a female Q would be an assistant who sits behind a computer- not as fun as seeing one in a lab coat testing umbrellas with teeth.
    SaintMark wrote:
    But it seems that most of the fellows on this site have trouble with women in any other role than bitch/babe.
    At the risk of sounding like one of those fellows, what non-bitch/babe characters are there? Rosika from TLD- funny, but bizarre and unrealistic distraction methods. The old woman who drops her basket of cherries in QoS- no problem there. May Day- no babe, but an interesting and original character nonetheless. I assume Klebb, Bunt and Machine Gun Granny fall into the 'bitch' category.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dench got a lot of hate simply because she was a woman mostly.
    One would think Dench gets more hate for interfering with Bond all the time rather than simply being a female M. She was marvellous in the role.
    QBranch wrote:
    If Skyfall is any indicator, for now the closest we'll get to seeing a female Q would be an assistant who sits behind a computer- not as fun as seeing one in a lab coat testing umbrellas with teeth.
    SaintMark wrote:
    But it seems that most of the fellows on this site have trouble with women in any other role than bitch/babe.
    At the risk of sounding like one of those fellows, what non-bitch/babe characters are there? Rosika from TLD- funny, but bizarre and unrealistic distraction methods. The old woman who drops her basket of cherries in QoS- no problem there. May Day- no babe, but an interesting and original character nonetheless. I assume Klebb, Bunt and Machine Gun Granny fall into the 'bitch' category.
    SaintMark wrote:
    Dench got a lot of hate simply because she was a woman mostly.
    One would think Dench gets more hate for interfering with Bond all the time rather than simply being a female M. She was marvellous in the role.

As soon as a women gets too meaty a role there are plenty comments on her performance and part even on this forum, as there were plenty of people who did not believe in Dame Denches part in the 007 series. Try to read some threads in the past.

While I like my 007 I have never minded the women, in fact they could have been somewhat more equal the last few decades. But honestly I find the writers lacking the skills to make it so.

And as for May Day she is indeed like Jaws a special case, they are great characters created by people who seemed to know how to do that.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 258</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Never Say Never Again "may be the only instalment of the long-running series that has been helmed by a first-rate director". [Jay Scott for The Globe and Mail - 1983]</b></font>
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 258</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Never Say Never Again "may be the only instalment of the long-running series that has been helmed by a first-rate director". [Jay Scott for The Globe and Mail - 1983]</b></font>
    Sorry?

This guy should be shot for blasphemy! IF Terence Young wasn't a first rate director I don't know who was. And NSNA wasn't an installment of any long running series but a duplicate of one film in a long-running series...

Terence Young, Guy Hamilton, Lewis Gilbert, Peter Hunt and John Glen all did a better job directing Bond movies than Irvin Kershner. So I Disagree.
    What a f***ing moron.

That is all.
    ...really?

I couldn't possibly disagree more.
  • Not even a little.
    What a f***ing moron.

What he said.