The James Bond Debate Thread - 336 Craig looks positively younger in SP than he does in SF.

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,355
    In their day, as the songs are now, they were loved by many, so I would agree, I think if I had to choose sides.
  • DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 130</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Martin, Hamlish and Conti composed title themes that in their days matched and even surpassed Barry's in popularity.</b></font>

Naturally JB is still the man, but in popularity terms, absolutely agree with the thesis.

• edited July 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Can you really argue this as a thesis? Isn't popularity based on sales? So it's either a true or false question.

But I can say songs like Live and Let Die and Nobody Does It Better have endured longer in the popular zeitgest more than the John Barry tunes. So I can't agree or disagree with thesis, other than to say that Martin, Hamlish and Conti had more long term lasting appeal than the John Barry songs, and perhaps even transcended James Bond. People still sing "NDIB" at karaoke...can't remember the last time someone sang Goldfinger.

*EDIT: Count me in as AGREE. After reading @00Beast's post below, he sums up what I was trying to say much more succinctly.
    Yeah, I agree with this thesis. "Live and Let Die", "Nobody Does it Better", and "For Your Eyes Only" are very well known songs even outside of Bond fans, whereas others like "From Russia with Love", "You Only Live Twice", or "The Man with the Golden Gun" aren't receiving the same kind of recognition.
    A View to a Kill, Goldfinger and even Diamonds Are Forever could be as popular (are in fact are as great) as Martin-Hamlish-Conti's songs. I recall that Goldfinger surpass The Beatles in sales, if I'm not wrong.
    I disagree with the thesis.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    3 Bond songs coming from the Roger Moore era.... fantastic !! Evidently the music was at an all time high during Sir Rog's tenure !
    I get the impression that the John Barry songs, especially the Shirley Bassey songs are much bigger in the UK, than they are in the US. Would my fellow Brits agree?
    3 Bond songs coming from the Roger Moore era.... fantastic !! Evidently the music was at an all time high during Sir Rog's tenure !

Ahahaha, I see what you had done did there!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,708
    00Beast wrote:

Ahahaha, I see what you had done did there!

Capit_n_John_Patrick_Mason.jpg

Agree

Live and let die is a brilliant rocksong that is still a classic and often covered.
    Nobody does it better another powerballad that does 007 credit
    For your eyes only was another song you could not escape when the movie was released and it is still very recognisable as part of the 007 franchise.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2012 Posts: 4,491
    Title title themes, Yes and No. From those 3 Live and let die is i think the les heard song on the radio from those 3. That credit go to Nobody does it better. We his popularity is mabey bigger then Shirley Bassey Goldfinger. Also i think DAF, A View To A Kill, TLD, LTK and GE title songs are heard more. For your eyes only mabey even like Nancy Sinatra, Moonraker, Twine and Die Another Day. Live and Let Die and his follow up i not heard much, Mat Munroe is more populair. But it also can worse, ''You Know My Name'' i never heard or mabey one time and ''Another Way To Die'' never been played.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    theme as in main title song? George Martin composed LALD? Truly? How could I not know that! (for all these years, I assumed it was Paul of course)

I truly love Nobody Does It Better by Carly (that's Hamlish) and although I enjoy the film FYEO a lot, the title song is just okay for me - but I think it was really popular.

Okay, so AGREE.
    Just a question for thought, but has anyone actually heard any Bond theme songs played on the radio before? The only ones I've ever heard are Live and Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, and A View to a Kill.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Interesting question, @00Beast.

Off the top of my head:
    - GF
    - YOLT
    - LALD
    - FYEO (most)
    - TLD
    - GE - TND - TWINE - DAD - YKMN - AWTD (around the time of their release of course)

and ...

- TLOL (I suppose Dusty's voice carries beyond the obscure scope of CR67 ;-))
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Interesting question, @00Beast.

Off the top of my head:
    - GF
    - YOLT
    - LALD
    - FYEO (most)
    - TLD
    - GE - TND - TWINE - DAD - YKMN - AWTD (around the time of their release of course)

and ...

- TLOL (I suppose Dusty's voice carries beyond the obscure scope of CR67 ;-))

Maybe it is because I don't listen to any other radio station but the classic rock station, but I barely ever hear any Bond theme songs on the radio! LALD is easily the one I've heard the most, with AVTAK in close second. I've only heard FYEO once, and that was inside a store, hahaha.
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 131</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Blofeld's fate was left ambiguous after DAF because they didn't know if they would still be allowed to use him for future films.</b></font>
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Agree, but I am just guessing. It's a given that they would want to bring back that character. I'm just not up on all the Bond back story info, trivia (and yes, I know that shows at times).
    Agree. It's a shame they couldn't have ever bought him back, apart from FYEO (which was probably his worst appearence).
    00Beast wrote:
    Just a question for thought, but has anyone actually heard any Bond theme songs played on the radio before? The only ones I've ever heard are Live and Let Die, For Your Eyes Only, and A View to a Kill.

I've only heard LALD, AVTAK, and when the films were just out I heard the DAD and CR themes.
    Huh? If your saying that they left it open because they think they'd use him again then yes, but if your not no.
    I think they were planning on bringing Blofeld back one day and thus kept their options open. If the legal battles with McClory didn't end up in their favour, however, they could still refer to this ending as his official death. Either way, EON would have the final saying in Blofeld's fate. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Either way, EON would have the final saying in Blofeld's fate. ;-)

And they did not, since the last appearance of Blofeld was in NSNA !!

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2012 Posts: 13,355
    I agree with this though it is funny, to think after all the work EON want through McClory had the final say.

EON killed him anyway in Diamonds Are Forever so they go their say, to a degree, even if their hand was forced.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 24,087
    Indeed. Although one could argue it was nothing but a regenerated Blofeld, whose eventual fate seemed to be remaining out of touch, pretty much like the Blofeld of TB. This Blofeld, therefore, wasn't the one that Pleasence, Savalas and Grey played. So, it was still EON having the final saying is that Blofeld's fate. :-)
    edited July 2012 Posts: 15,708
    Don't forget the endless debate about whether or not that bald man in a wheelchair and with the white cat in FYEO's PTS was Blofeld. If it was indeed him, it's the most lacklustre death of an iconic villain I can think of, imo.
    I think the pussy settles the matter. Bald, inconclusive (see GF). The Nehru jacket, still inconclusive (see Stromberg, Drax). BUT, the white blue eyed Turkish Angora cat seems a bit too coincidental not to indicate the presence of Blofeld. I don't think we're going out on a limb if we suggest this fiend to be none other than Blofeld.
    In that case... that was a very anticlimatic death for such an iconic villain.
    In that case... that was a very anticlimatic death for such an iconic villain.

Correct. Also, I find this scene not fitting the general tone and mood of the rest of the film.

I believe we've had a thesis on the subject already but after 130 cases, who keeps track, huh? :P
  • Blofeld's fate has been one of the worst handled affairs in the history of the series. I'm not sure what to make of the thesis though because EON has never submitted any comment. One thing I will say is that what happened to Blofeld in FYEO was a million miles better than DAF, which was horrible screenwriting to say the least. At least FYEO presents a clear scenario where you believe Blofeld could have easily died in that fall. I never believed he died in DAF and whoever thought otherwise probably couldn't register on an IQ test.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    <font color=tomato size=4><b>THESIS 131</b></font>

<font color=blue size=7><b>Blofeld's fate was left ambiguous after DAF because they didn't know if they would still be allowed to use him for future films.</b></font>

Strongly agree with this thesis. If they decide he will return and they are legally safe to do so? Then he could return but not in the Craig era.
    Interesting, @RogueAgent. Why not in the Craig era? Just curious. ;-)