The Great Bond Geoguesser Game

Comments

• zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    My knowledge of the literary Bond locations is close to non-existant, but I will start by guessing the country. England?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou, but I now hear a new dog barkin'
    Yup.
    For heavens sake, of all people (?) the zebrafish should have recognized this: It's the building of the Zoological Society of London.

I have yet to read the novel, but apparently Bond gives the address and the profession "ornithologist" as his cover story at Crab Key. And of course James Bond IS an ornithologist, he even wrote a guide to the birds of the West Indies.

Fantastic find, dear @j_w_pepper .
    edited February 2023 Posts: 8,932
    It was kind of hard to find a passable angle (which is why the BMW coupe looks rather distorted). But in front of the building is a bright blue sign saying Zoological Society of London, which can easily be read from other positions.

By the way, Bond claims he is from the "Royal" Zoological Society in the novel, which is not really the correct name, but the ZSL still must be the one. It is also on Regent's Park near the Universal Exports headquarters (also as per the novel).
    Sadly, I never went to that Zoo (the ZSL building is outside the zoo).
    I will try tomorrow to come up with another location.
    I was at Miniatur-Wunderland again today and had some ideas for this thread...outside competition. For instance, this place:miwulafrwlqrdmq.jpg
    Or this:
    miwulaspy6e4g.jpg
    This is probably close, but no cigar (I guess there is no old Rolls-Royce and DB5 available in 1:87):
    miwulagfhtczd.jpg
    Or this...oops, wrong movie:
    miwulaouatitws2iic.jpg
    However, this is surely uncanny:
    miwulamr1qhemf.jpg
    But take your time to find something else.

The last one: Amazing! Even Roger's body stance is correct.
    Is the second one supposed to be Rome? I have yet to see the Italy exhibit.
    eA9ctXg.jpg

From a movie, watch the floor! I bet this one is easy.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    The last one: Amazing! Even Roger's body stance is correct.
    Is the second one supposed to be Rome? I have yet to see the Italy exhibit.
    Somehow my first attempt at a reply seems to have vanished, but yes, it is Rome with the banks of the Tiber (but no Astons and Jaguars). And the OUATITW thingy is also in the Italy section, described as a Western Movie Town or something.
    Hello, @CharmianBond, @goldenswissroyale, and whoever, we invite you to get back into this again when you feel like it.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    I was at Miniatur-Wunderland again today and had some ideas for this thread...outside competition.

Hopped over here following @j_w_pepper's post in the Scale Modelling thread. This is just amazing - I HAVE to get myself to Hamburg. For several reasons :)
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    I don't know but it's time for a blind guess: the church in France in the TB PTS?
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,932
    From a movie, watch the floor! I bet this one is easy.
    I didn't remember the scene and looked in vain for every church used in the franchise plus NSNA, none of which had inside Google Street view photos. Until I got the idea that it might be a chapel in a palace...Château d'Anet from TB.

Congrats to both of you, even though @goldenswissroyale was a bit faster. It is indeed the floor tiling in the chapel of Chateau d'Anet in TB.

cD9fVRW.png
    Congrats to @goldenswissroyale. I'm sort of glad that this hasn't been reduced to a ping-pong game between zebrafish and me. And I left my edit box open for so long and went about other business that I simply didn't notice that someone else found it before posting myself.

Looking forward to your next move, @goldenswissroyale.
    Just to keep this going after all...and @goldenswissroyale, you may post the next one no matter what, here's an interim attempt of mine:
    spa_edk1fcx.jpg

What is written on the awning above the zebra (which is not the same as what I pixeled out)? It's a movie location and probably needless to say, the zebra is not involved in the movie.

No takers for the zebra? Not even @zebrafish?
    Ah, striped animals are a fancy of mine, but this one boggles the mind. It looks like the entrance to a sports facility, so I'll wager a guess: Ice rink in Cortina d'Ampezzo?
    Sports facility may actually be sort of right, but Cortina it ain't.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    First thought was Ascot, but looks nothing like it. Queen's Stand at Epsom Downs racecourse it is. Doubling for St Petersburg Airport in GE.
    Yes indeed, that's the one!
    Goldeneye-0797.jpg
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Congrats to both of you, even though @goldenswissroyale was a bit faster. It is indeed the floor tiling in the chapel of Chateau d'Anet in TB.

cD9fVRW.png

Sorry that I let you wait once again. I wasn't very active recently and I wonder if this thread doesn't show me the number with the new posts... Anyway, interesting one with the zebra.
    @goldenswissroyale, the thread works for me regarding being marked "unread" and showing the number of new posts. So not the same problem as with the original "trivia" thread.

I suggest you and @QBranch both go ahead and post the next location...whoever comes first.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Cheers, I'll leave it with you guys.
    @goldenswissroyale, what about you? This makes no sense if it becomes a game with just two participants.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited March 2023 Posts: 7,527
    I can have one shortly to keep things going! Have the (novel) location in mind, just need to do a touch of research.

EDIT:
    334985616_924049885300348_2296884324447808103_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=dRc_kRHDYo8AX8-8ZzG&_nc_ht=scontent.fyvr4-1.fna&oh=00_AfA5HG1sgAV5z0stSTKecCYr9CY5ZflVDn4d6npVo9ZpLw&oe=6410940F
    edited March 2023 Posts: 8,932
    Looks like an English country pub. Not the Duck Inn at Pett Bottom which we already had on page 14. But given the novels like MR and GF where Bond does quite a bit of driving around the countryside it's also likely to be in Kent or close to it, where Fleming had his country house below the White Cliffs. I just don't remember Bond going to a pub around there when driving to Sandwich to play golf with Goldfinger or visiting Drax's research centre at Kingsdown.

Okay, I just identified the place by the telephone number on the Christmas menu banner on the right. It's Hotel The Five Bells, Front Street, Ringwould CT14 8HP Deal. But now I'm really curious what the novel connection is. I don't find it listed anywhere as a Bond location.

Update, thanks to the search function of my Kindle: "He put the statistics out of his mind as he came to the turning to the right. There was a signpost that said Kingsdown, and the lights of a small inn." So it is MR.
    Yep, I did some research as to what might have been the inspiration for World Without Want from MR, and it turned out to be this place. I knew I should have blacked out that banner! Anyways, nice work.
    @goldenswissroyale - in spite of Nick and me having had an extra round, you are not just welcome but kindly requested to post the next one to keep this going. I must say (as one may have realised) that this is one of the most interesting threads for me, getting to know about locations (and their stand-ins) one has never heard of before.
    Yeah the learning here has been brilliant, even in posting a new location for a round; the research is so fascinating. I want to open a bar here in Vancouver called "World Without Want" lol