Does NO TIME TO DIE have the best ending in the franchise?

1202122232426»

Comments

• edited June 19 Posts: 3,984
    I like both, but out of the two I think SF’s the better song for sure. That said CR needed to open with YKMN - a fast paced rock tune with brazenly masculine vocals. And of course SF needed to open with that mysterious but dramatic ballad (I’ve read somewhere that Adele wanted the song to sound on the one hand like a sort of funeral song but one which didn’t have that sense of finality to it/had that Bondian twist to it. It’s actually crazy how much that comes across in the actual song and how fitting it is for the film).
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    For me, YKMN is the best. I'll never forget the electric feeling the song and CR's gunbarrel sequence gave me, the very first time I watched the film.

I agree. YKMN and the amazing Kleinman titles go hand-in-hand. One elevates the other.

Exactly. The two are so much in sync!

To be frank, I usually get that impression. AWTD is not a particularly good song in my opinion ("bang bang bang bang") but along with the not-so-good-either opening titles, it creates an inviting effect that makes me want to stay nevertheless. I was never fond of Madonna's DAD ("analyse this this this this..."), but somehow Kleinman found the proper visuals to "vibe" with the song.

Yeah. I agree. There isn't an entirely bad Bond song. Just some better than others. Surprisingly, with time, I have come to really like AWTD. I think it's a slight rip-off of YKMN, especially the opening few seconds. I have never hated DAD, it's a nice song...just not Bondian enough for Bond. Its few seconds are quite Bondian and haunting, though. But yeah, Kleinman knows how to sync music and visuals. Albeit coming from commercials/music videos, it helps him understand music and visuals a lot.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited June 19 Posts: 3,138
    I thought YKMN was absolutely the right song for CR, just as Skyfall was for SF and No Time To Die for NTTD. I'm also one of those four people who actually liked WOTW and I've sort of reached an accomodation with AWTD - I'd actually miss it if that cheapo, spidery fuzz guitar line didn't come in after Craig's opening line.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I really enjoy Skyfall, just wish it hadn't have influenced the following two songs
    For me, YKMN is the best. I'll never forget the electric feeling the song and CR's gunbarrel sequence gave me, the very first time I watched the film.

I agree. YKMN and the amazing Kleinman titles go hand-in-hand. One elevates the other.

Exactly. The two are so much in sync!

To be frank, I usually get that impression. AWTD is not a particularly good song in my opinion ("bang bang bang bang") but along with the not-so-good-either opening titles, it creates an inviting effect that makes me want to stay nevertheless. I was never fond of Madonna's DAD ("analyse this this this this..."), but somehow Kleinman found the proper visuals to "vibe" with the song.

Have to say I really liked the titles sequence for QoS. Think it gave Danny Kleinman a run for his money, and I much prefer them to SF titles!
    mtm wrote: »
    CrabKey wrote: »
    @mtm - Dad rock. You make me laugh.

Sure. Regardless, (YKMN) isn't really a proper rock song; it's all a bit cheesy and the unenthusiastic vocal... makes it all very MOR.

You are hilarious.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @mtm
    I know we are debating taste here, but that's a bit strong IMO. "Unenthusiastic vocal" is the opposite from where I'm at. Sure, it's no hard rock or metal, but YKMN is a pretty good, solid rock song in my book. And what exactly is cheesy about it?
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    edited June 19 Posts: 154
    it [YKMN] isn't really a proper rock song; it's all a bit cheesy and the unenthusiastic vocal makes it all very MOR.

AWTD is far more of a proper rock song

Musical taste and how different people hear things may be just about the most subjective thing going, but I am genuinely interested on how these two remarks can tally up??? If cheesy and unenthusiastic is an offence committed by YKMN, then surely that automatically consigns AWTD to being inferior???

AWTD, like QoS, grew on me over time, but of the Craig era films, YKMN is the only one that actually gets me amped up for the film - the others, except for NTTD, are good-to-average, but given the tone of the film as a whole, the PTS, etc, YKMN just nailed it. I nearly always skip the opening titles. I always watch the CR one.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Simon wrote: »
    it [YKMN] isn't really a proper rock song; it's all a bit cheesy and the unenthusiastic vocal makes it all very MOR.

AWTD is far more of a proper rock song

Musical taste and how different people hear things may be just about the most subjective thing going, but I am genuinely interested on how these two remarks can tally up??? If cheesy and unenthusiastic is an offence committed by YKMN, then surely that automatically consigns AWTD to being inferior???

AWTD, like QoS, grew on me over time, but of the Craig era films, YKMN is the only one that actually gets me amped up for the film - the others, except for NTTD, are good-to-average, but given the tone of the film as a whole, the PTS, etc, YKMN just nailed it. I nearly always skip the opening titles. I always watch the CR one.

Interesting. For me, the tone of NTTD matches precisely where Bond/the song is in the film, unlike, say WOTW.
    I still want an official Goldfrapp Bond theme, though. A whole lot of their songs are simply unofficial Bond themes. I read somewhere that they were all set to work with David Arnold, when it was thought that Brosnan was returning for a fifth Bond film. But they weren't contacted anymore, because they were told that the producers were going for a whole new direction with James Bond.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    edited June 20 Posts: 14,490
    I still want an official Goldfrapp Bond theme, though. A whole lot of their songs are simply unofficial Bond themes. I read somewhere that they were all set to work with David Arnold, when it was thought that Brosnan was returning for a fifth Bond film. But they weren't contacted anymore, because they were told that the producers were going for a whole new direction with James Bond.
    Goldfrapp are so good. Hadn't heard of the Bond connection. Need to familiarize myself more with their albums and not just the singles though. Twist is right up there (straight up).
    QBranch wrote: »
    Goldfrapp are so good. Hadn't heard of the Bond connection. Need to familiarize myself more with their albums and not just the singles though. Twist is right up there (straight up).

Yesssh! Goldfrapp are really, really good. I'm listening to Pilots right now :)