Would you rather date Jill Masterson OR Tilly Masterson?

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Peninsula, some parts of Italy aren't really that interesting, and to my mind, Sardinia is one of them. And i've never been to Hong Kong.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited August 24 Posts: 7,056
    Peninsula, some parts of Italy aren't really that interesting, and to my mind, Sardinia is one of them. And i've never been to Hong Kong.

I disagree, I love every single part of the Italian peninsula, I'd take any of them over every single other place in the universe. To each his own of course, but personally I just adore Italy and San Marino so much...

Having said that, that doesn't mean I'm not interested in the rest of the world and to be fair Hong Kong does sound really interesting. Plus, the Peninsula looks like a gorgeous hotel. So tough competition for sure.
    Italy any time.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    In this case, the Peninsula as it looks like there's more to do in the immediate vicinity, although I do miss going to the beach.
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    In a couple of films we have seen some geniuses show up in a Bond film.

Would you rather drive the Moon buggy from DAF OR fly the Jet Pack of TB?

i056954.jpg

This gadget isn't a toy. It has arms, tires that are able to climb rocky terrain. This is a one person vehicle that can out maneuver Ford cars. It is also able to drive without someone inside it.

OR

jet_pack_1.jpg

This is something that no well dressed man should be without one. The jet pack allows for man to fly. It might toast your backside, but won't you look cool flying over the chateaus of France.

Which unique vehicle are you choosing to use?
    Considering a wheel fell off the moon buggy and the editors ignored it, the jet pack. Besides, the moon buggy is little more than three or four wheeler. As common as cars here in Alaska.
    Yes, I wouldn't want the jet falling off my pack. The opportunity to fly is too hard to resist.
  • BennyBenny Shaken not stirredAdministrator, Moderator
    The moon buggy.

It’s got its issues, and isn’t exactly quick. But the jet pack has a 30 second flight time.
    And I’m not so good with heights anymore.

Moon Buggy. That'd be a fun ride.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Jetpack! Especially the FRWL videogame made superb use of it.
  • SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷SecretAgentMan⁰⁰⁷ Lekki, Lagos, Nigeria
    edited August 26 Posts: 1,919
    Jetpack! Week in, Week out!
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Jetpack! Especially the FRWL videogame made superb use of it.
    That's right, scooping up the Bond girl while passing through a falling helicopter! And later, with attached weaponry. Agent Under Fire featured a jetpack too, but I don't remember it in the game.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Jetpack.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Both quite underwhelming sequences which promise more than they deliver!
    The jet pack is far more useful,,especially in the circumstances.
    Moon buggy, for a verrrry specific reason: It somehow is capable of changing/adding its own tires, under speed, as needed For those who might not recall, there is a blooper in DAF where a wheel and tire is shown flying off the Moon Buggy, yet it keeps on going. Wow, after all these years, a possibility occurs to me: Might it have had a spare, perhaps mounted on the exterior as with automobiles in the 20s, 30s and some later on, Such that the flying wheel was the spare ? If anyone knows, please edify us all !
    As the vehicle was designed and brought to life by Ken Adams it wouldn't surprise me if the re-generating tires was true @Since62 ;) That man was a genius and his designs were simply amazing. I think of the vehicles that his team designed for TB.

I love the bloopers and continuity errors of the older films. Those are like little gems and are almost like Easter Eggs. I know some call it sloppy or somehow degrade the film, I look at it in a different way.
    Nice to see both vehicles getting some love.

I watched Calvin Dyson give a pulse check on the series and I was struck how we have a blank canvas ahead. Well not us but EON has a chance to reset and go in a variety of directions.

One thing that the Craig films introduced was a strong link between the films. With QOS being a direct, literally, follow up to CR. Then with SP we got all the films retconned together and NTTD brought it all to an end.

Previously the series had a very loose continuity. Connery's first few films seemed to try to have some connection. By OHMSS all hope of continuity was gone with a different actor playing the role, though it was the same character. By the time we got to Dalton the only connective DNA seemed to be Bond's marriage to Tracy.

Would you rather the producers have strong continuity in the films OR return to a more loose continuity?

Strong continuity seems to be the ruler of the day, with Marvel really being the kings and queens of this. It would allow for the actor playing Bond to have an arc and to explore the character in greater detail.

Loose continuity would allow casual fans to understand the film without having to have seen the other films. It would allow for a re-casting of the character (Bond himself, or any of the Mi6 gang).
  • edited August 28 Posts: 3,821
    The Connery films have quite a tight continuity until DAF owing to SPECTRE.

I don’t necessarily want an overarching enemy or returning villains like SPECTRE in the next era. But insofar as continuity is concerned I’d be fine if, say, in Bond 27 we got a little reference from M about Bond being back from leave from ‘the - mission’ of the previous film or whatever just to get a sense of how much time has passed. Perhaps Bond’s experiences from the previous film impacts his decisions (even subtly) in the subsequent film? Or maybe some minor characters could crop up in different films like General Gogol or the Minister of Defence did in the Moore era. Or Zukofsky or Wade in the Brosnan era.

Generally yes, I’d like there to be a sense of continuity within the new actor’s era, but you can have a tight continuity and standalone adventures like the Connery and Craig films. Personally, I’d prefer to have those stand alone adventures without an overarching villain.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 28 Posts: 16,096
    I want continuity, certainly. I think it would be a bit odd not have any.
    But that doesn't mean that new viewers can't understand the film: if you watch Mission Impossible Fallout, even though it deals with a returning villain and Ethan's estranged wife from a couple of films earlier, the whole setup is explained within the film itself and it assumes no prior knowledge. It's perfectly possible to have continuing story elements and still be completely accessible.
    As long as the continuity is better planned out and handled than it was in Craig’s last couple of movies (NTTD did the best it could with the mess SP created IMO), I’m fine with either approach, but my preference is still for standalone adventures. Episodic things really lend themselves to more rewatchability often times for me, and it’s cool to be able to build from the ground up each time. But well-done continuity is still welcome, too.
  • DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    I want continuity between character relationship and references, but I'd like Missions that don't add up to one big Baddie.
    edited August 28 Posts: 3,112
    007HallY wrote: »
    Generally yes, I’d like there to be a sense of continuity within the new actor’s era, but you can have a tight continuity and standalone adventures like the Connery and Craig films. Personally, I’d prefer to have those stand alone adventures without an overarching villain.
    Encapsulates it better than I could. Yes - this.
    mtm wrote: »
    if you watch Mission Impossible Fallout...the whole setup is explained within the film itself and it assumes no prior knowledge. It's perfectly possible to have continuing story elements and still be completely accessible.
    And this.
    I want continuity between character relationship and references, but I'd like Missions that don't add up to one big Baddie.
    And this!
    I'd be more than happy if these formed the basic guidelines for the new guy's run. On balance, I'm in the 'give Blofeld and Spectre a rest this time round' camp.
    Seems we are liking a Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan type era where the adventures play as stand alone films but we have some returning characters. The character of Bond has not over arching theme or story arc.

I liked the balance of the early Connery films where Dr. No was mentioned in FRWL. Where Leiter and Bond talked shop in GF. Where M mentioned previous missions not seen on screen.

I thought it was a stretch that Bond who met and fell in love with Vesper in 2006 would carry a torch and feelings for her well into 2020. I think it should have been confined to fewer films.

I echo someone who said if going with an over-arching storyline they must plan it out and avoid doing it on the fly.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I trust the judgment of the producers for their vision and way forward and course corrections along the way.

• DaltonforyouDaltonforyou The Daltonator
    thedove wrote: »
    Seems we are liking a Roger Moore or Pierce Brosnan type era where the adventures play as stand alone films but we have some returning characters. The character of Bond has not over arching theme or story arc.

I liked the balance of the early Connery films where Dr. No was mentioned in FRWL. Where Leiter and Bond talked shop in GF. Where M mentioned previous missions not seen on screen.

I thought it was a stretch that Bond who met and fell in love with Vesper in 2006 would carry a torch and feelings for her well into 2020. I think it should have been confined to fewer films.

I echo someone who said if going with an over-arching storyline they must plan it out and avoid doing it on the fly.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the way they kept milking Vesper. I thought Spectre, seemed like it was putting a bow on to it, but no, they found a way to dredge it back up.
    Yeah, but Vesper looked just like Eva Green did when she was 26 - a month with her would leave scars for a lifetime, man.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    It depends upon the situation of how things would play out in the new Bond actor's film debut, Goldeneye, for example have characters like Zukovksy and Wade who have later made their return in subsequent films, or in The Living Daylights or Live And Let Die where the characters didn't returned.

In terms of assuring that Bond is still the same guy, I would say, give it some continuity, just to debunk the codename theory nonsense, but if it means to be interconnected to one another like the Craig Era, I'd rather have not (I'm tired of it).

But still, it depends, if there are characters in the next Bond actor's debut that are worthy of reappearance for future Bond films maybe, but given of what happened to the Craig Era, I think the Producers would've liked to separate the next Bond actor's tenure from Craig's run, so the loose continuity is a strong possibilty.
  • Vinther1991Vinther1991 Denmark
    Only the same level of continuity that the Moore and Brosnan eras had. Some recurring minor characters and a throwback line to an earlier entry is fine. I don't want interconnected stories or events that affect later entries. Give me independent Bond adventures.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited August 29 Posts: 16,096

Yeah I think that's fine. I think baddies could maybe crossover, in that they have known each other or something like that, something a little complex that, say, your Carver uses a bit of the technology from the Tiger helicopter your Trevelyan stole in the previous film (only something a little more interesting and story-based, perhaps! Maybe a situation is created by a villain in one film which, though they're defeated, leaves the world and MI6 in a precarious state which the next baddie takes advantage of). But I'd agree that one enemy being behind everything -which is very Bond to be fair- is perhaps a little played out at this point.
    I trust the judgment of the producers for their vision and way forward and course corrections along the way.

Yeah I think 'course corrections' is important. I don't want the whole thing planned out and then stuck to because that's just not how these things get made- put all of your effort into the one in front of you and let the rest work itself out.